Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
souzac
Senior LCF Member
 
souzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacto., CA
Posts: 127
Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
Coconut Milk Ice Cream

I google "coconut milk ice cream" and found a chocolate ice cream using cocoa powder and coconut milk and sweetener of your choice. You can throw any thing in there, choc chips, an extract, coconut, almonds, whatever.

I made it in my electric Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and it is delish! I added a pinch of xanthum gum. Does anyone know why I did that?

I ate some as soon as it was done spinning - delish. It's in the freezer now, so I'll update tonight!

2 cans of the milk made a 1.5 qt. FULL batch. Any idea of the carbs in that?
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,516
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
The Xanthum is supposed to keep it scoopable. Let us know if it worked.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
souzac
Senior LCF Member
 
souzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacto., CA
Posts: 127
Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
I think the xanthum gum is for something else and not scoopability. It froze really solid but I let it sit out awhile (long while) and ate some; then, I put it in the frig for several hours and it held up great.

I think I need glycerine or booze to make it scoopable from the freezer. It is delicious though!
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 2,727
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by souzac View Post
I google "coconut milk ice cream" and found a chocolate ice cream using cocoa powder and coconut milk and sweetener of your choice. You can throw any thing in there, choc chips, an extract, coconut, almonds, whatever.

I made it in my electric Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and it is delish! I added a pinch of xanthum gum. Does anyone know why I did that?

I ate some as soon as it was done spinning - delish. It's in the freezer now, so I'll update tonight!

2 cans of the milk made a 1.5 qt. FULL batch. Any idea of the carbs in that?
Souzac, could you please share that recipe with us? Sounds good and easy, as well. I like that you can also change the flavor.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
souzac
Senior LCF Member
 
souzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacto., CA
Posts: 127
Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
I just used two cans of coconut milk (full fat) and 2/3 C cocoa powder, 1 t. vanilla, 1/3 C xylitol and 1/3 C splenda granular. Near the end I put in some walnuts. Such an easy friendly recipe! Oh and I put a tiny sprinkle of xanthum gum and a tiny sprinkle of stevia.

I put some frozen ice cream in my frig this morning and its STILL pretty hard at 4 pm.

I blended it all in a deep bowl with my immersion blender stick wand thingy. So this ice cream is dairy free/lactose free for those that can't have dairy. I can have dairy but.....just sayin'.

Last edited by souzac; 04-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: how to blend and thicken.
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 2,727
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by souzac View Post
I just used two cans of coconut milk (full fat) and 2/3 C cocoa powder, 1 t. vanilla, 1/3 C xylitol and 1/3 C splenda granular. Near the end I put in some walnuts. Such an easy friendly recipe! Oh and I put a tiny sprinkle of xanthum gum and a tiny sprinkle of stevia.

I put some frozen ice cream in my frig this morning and its STILL pretty hard at 4 pm.

I blended it all in a deep bowl with my immersion blender stick wand thingy. So this ice cream is dairy free/lactose free for those that can't have dairy. I can have dairy but.....just sayin'.
Thanks for sharing! Now I just have to get an ice cream machine!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,125
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Trying this this afternoon.
__________________
Springing into Fitness

153
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
BigBravesGirl
Plastic Wrap Ninja
 
BigBravesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: moving to TWOterville
Posts: 943
Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Is there any reason to make it in the ice cream machine if it's going to freeze solid in the freezer anyway? I mean, can you make it and just put it in containers in the freezer? Would it come out the same?

Just wondering.
__________________
Lisa

BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Dottie
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 7,553
Gallery: Dottie
I just sweeten and freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop a few into a food processor to break up and eat it like that.
__________________
https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx <--FDA tracking tools
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ <--FDA nutritional counts

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
dizneegirl
Senior LCF Member
 
dizneegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 708
Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBravesGirl View Post
Is there any reason to make it in the ice cream machine if it's going to freeze solid in the freezer anyway? I mean, can you make it and just put it in containers in the freezer? Would it come out the same?
You could do that, and you'd have a yummy frozen treat, but it wouldn't be the same as throwing in an ice cream maker. The ice cream makers churn it around, adding air and minimizing ice crystals.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
BigBravesGirl
Plastic Wrap Ninja
 
BigBravesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: moving to TWOterville
Posts: 943
Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I just sweeten and freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop a few into a food processor to break up and eat it like that.
I've not used coconut milk for ice cream, but when I do LC ice cream I just mix it in the blender, pour into container and pop it in the freezer. Once it's frozen, I take it out and slice it. I have a slice or two of ice cream for a snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneegirl View Post
You could do that, and you'd have a yummy frozen treat, but it wouldn't be the same as throwing in an ice cream maker. The ice cream makers churn it around, adding air and minimizing ice crystals.
That makes sense.
__________________
Lisa

BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
jacksmixedtape
Major LCF Poster!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 1,313
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I use the coconut milk ice cream recipe from Chef Rachel's Ice Dream cook book. It uses gelatin, and I added erythritol and stevia. The texture is nice, but it does freeze very hard! I guess without glycerine it's best eaten within 24 hours.
__________________
~Lauren

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2015 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.