Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Real Banana Bread (photo inside)



REAL BANANA BREAD

This loaf is as good as any high-carb banana loaf. Substituting half the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix with Carbalose flour from Netrition.com results in a loaf that is very difficult to tell apart from the real thing. Using only my bake mix is lovely too – a bit moister and slightly less like the real thing in taste and texture.


Note: The photo is the banana loaf with my bake mix only. The one I made today (sorry we finished almost the whole loaf in one day between 3 of us!!) is the Carbalose/bake mix combo and it has a finer crumb.

1/2 cup boiling water (125 mL)
1/4 cup raisins, OR chopped dates (50 mL)
1 medium banana, mashed
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, softened (75 mL)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
1/3 cup granulated erythritol (75 mL)
1 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free (15 mL)
Banana Syrup (optional)
1/2 tsp banana extract (5 mL)
1 2/3 cups Vital Oat Ultimate Bake (400 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)

Prepare loaf pan: Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan with tin foil (fold into corners nicely and smooth it out everywhere) and spray with nonstick cooking spray. In cereal bowl, pour boiling water over raisins or chopped dates. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Drain.

In food processor, process mashed banana, eggs, butter, SPLENDA® Granular, erythritol, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Banana Syrup (if using) and banana extract.

In medium bowl, combine Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, baking powder and baking soda. Add to food processor; process. Stir raisins or dates into mixture. Spread in prepared loaf pan, smoothing top, and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cover lightly with foil after 20 minutes of baking.

Helpful Hints: Low-carb baking often sticks to old, nonstick baking pans. The above method prevents that. To halve the ingredients for the Carbalose Bake Mix combo as mentioned below the recipe title, use 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 1/3 cup (75 mL) of Carbalose flour and of the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix. Using this combo saves minimal carbs – 0.2 g. It is actually easy to slice slivers of this banana loaf when it is cool, thereby cutting the carbs further. It is nice just as it is plain and buttered but really decadent with Betty Crocker-like frosting. (add 1.6 g carbs)

Nutritional Analysis: Yield 18 servings, 1 serving:
Raisins/dates/without
103.4/102.3/96.6 calories
3.9/3.8/3.8 g protein
7.1/7.1/7.0 g fat
5.8/5.6/4.2 g carbs

Last edited by cheri; 03-26-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Betty Crocker-like Frosting

BETTY CROCKER®-LIKE FROSTING

The low-carb pancake syrup has thickeners in it and makes this frosting a thicker mixture. It has a slight maple flavor. This is not a very low-carb frosting, however, for a special occasion this will also please most picky non low-carber friends and family.

1/2 cup SPLENDA® Granular (125 mL)
4 tbsp powdered erythritol (50 mL)
4 tbsp whole milk powder (50 mL)
1 tsp cornstarch (5 mL)
2 tbsp low-carb syrup (such as Estee®
Maple Flavored Pancake Syrup)
3 tbsp butter, melted (45 mL)

In blender, combine SPLENDA® Granular, powdered erythritol, whole milk powder and cornstarch. Add sugar free syrup and butter; blend until well combined.

The dry mixture up to cornstarch in the listing above can be stored in the refrigerator until required (double or triple the dry ingredients, if desired – use 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry mixture per recipe). It will rival the real thing any day! No one will ever really guess that it is not actually the real thing and that's the best part.

Helpful Hint: Double the recipe for 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frosting to frost an entire cake.

Nutritional Analysis: 3/4 cup, 1 tbsp:
44.8 calories; 4.7 g protein; 3.6 g fat; 2.5 g carbs

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 05-20-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes

VITAL ULTIMATE BAKE MIX

Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 60 %, if SPLENDA® is used as well.


My latest Discovery: By substituting half of any of my bake mixes (and especially the Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes) with Carbalose flour from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! one gets superior results than simply using my bake mix. In fact, the results are so similar to baking with white flour that it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference. Experiment and let me know how it turns out for you. Any feedback would be helpful to others too. I will continue to explore this avenue as time goes by. The thing is many people were put off by Carbalose flour or Carbquik, in particular, because of a strange taste or smell that some people could detect too strongly. However, that problem is solved when doing the former bake mix combo. I have not worked with Carbquik and most likely will not in the future either, however, I love Carbalose flour used in this manner. The carb count in the recipes will not change. There is no carb savings.


NOTE: One cup of white flour is about 91.5 g carbs and 1 cup of Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (the highest carb option with spelt flour, say) is 33.6 g carb, for a savings of 57.9 g carbs. Now that is the worst case scenario. Most people would use oat or whole wheat pastry flour options and then the numbers look like this: 24.4 g carbs vs 91.5 g carbs per cup for a savings of 67.1 g carbs. Actually, in the grand scheme of things not huge differences - surprisingly! For those of you who cannot have any grains at this point in time, choose to use my really low-carb bake mix called Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix
1 1/2 cups almond flour, ground almonds, OR (375 mL)
ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL)
whole wheat pastry flour, OR oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL)/serv. (spelt)
139.5 calories; 8.2 g protein, 8.0 g fat; 8.4 g carbs

Variations: *Vital Whole Wheat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with whole wheat pastry flour):
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

*Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with oat flour): 136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (with all-purpose flour): I very rarely use this combination, but will choose to make the bake mix with spelt flour instead as in main recipe with nutritional analysis shown. It is useful for a very special occasion, delicate-textured cake or loaf or muffins, etc.
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

If you are using ground almonds instead of almond flour, please add an extra 1/2 cup (125 mL). This will give the correct yield, however, if you forget, it will not harm the recipe results. Even although I mentioned ground almonds in my recipe books, I actually used almond flour at the time. These days I cannot get almond flour where I live and because I use so much of it, I have to grind my own from sliced almonds that I buy. It is coarsely ground compared to almond flour. Almond flour, of course, is more superior in baking.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix may replace Low-Carb Bake Mix, in recipes. Just use 2 tbsp (25 mL) less Vital Ultimate Bake Mix per cup of Low-Carb Bake Mix. It may also replace cup-for-cup any of the other Ultimate Bake Mixes in my other cookbooks. However, do not substitute the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix for the Vital Ultimate Bake Mix - for one, you'd need to use more of it (maybe 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup) and for two, I cannot guarantee the result.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 05-20-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
JunkInMyTrunk
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 87
Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Oh my, that looks simply delicious. Think I will invest in some carbalose flour. Wonder if my husband would be able to tell the difference between the real thing and this? I'm trying to lower his carb intake without him noticing.
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 4,940
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
Jennifer, you ROCK!! Now I wish I liked banana!
__________________
A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Linny
Major LCF Poster!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 1,319
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Holy Smokes!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Beeb, Linny - thanks. Too bad you don't like banana, Beeb.

JunkInMyTrunk - give it a try - you never know - however, if you have a favorite banana bread recipe, then I think he will notice.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Bhambabe
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 587
Gallery: Bhambabe
Stats: R4P3 91 pounds released
WOE: Dr. Simeon's Protocol HHCG
Start Date: Started 7/21/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post


REAL BANANA BREAD

This loaf is as good as any high-carb banana loaf. Substituting half the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix with Carbalose flour from Netrition.com results in a loaf that is very difficult to tell apart from the real thing. Using only my bake mix is lovely too – a bit moister and slightly less like the real thing in taste and texture.


Note: The photo is the banana loaf with my bake mix only. The one I made today (sorry we finished almost the whole loaf in one day between 3 of us!!) is the Carbalose/bake mix combo and it has a finer crumb.

1/2 cup boiling water (125 mL)
1/4 cup raisins, OR chopped dates (50 mL)
1 medium banana, mashed
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, softened (75 mL)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
1/3 cup granulated erythritol (75 mL)
1 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free (15 mL)
Banana Syrup (optional)
1/2 tsp banana extract (5 mL)
1 2/3 cups Vital Oat Ultimate Bake (400 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)

Prepare loaf pan: Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan with tin foil (fold into corners nicely and smooth it out everywhere) and spray with nonstick cooking spray. In cereal bowl, pour boiling water over raisins or chopped dates. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Drain.

In food processor, process mashed banana, eggs, butter, SPLENDA® Granular, erythritol, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Banana Syrup (if using) and banana extract.

In medium bowl, combine Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, baking powder and baking soda. Add to food processor; process. Stir raisins or dates into mixture. Spread in prepared loaf pan, smoothing top, and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cover lightly with foil after 20 minutes of baking.

Helpful Hints: Low-carb baking often sticks to old, nonstick baking pans. The above method prevents that. To halve the ingredients for the Carbalose Bake Mix combo as mentioned below the recipe title, use 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 1/3 cup (75 mL) of Carbalose flour and of the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix. Using this combo saves minimal carbs – 0.2 g. It is actually easy to slice slivers of this banana loaf when it is cool, thereby cutting the carbs further. It is nice just as it is plain and buttered but really decadent with Betty Crocker-like frosting. (add 1.6 g carbs)

Nutritional Analysis: Yield 18 servings, 1 serving:
Raisins/dates/without
103.4/102.3/96.6 calories
3.9/3.8/3.8 g protein
7.1/7.1/7.0 g fat
5.8/5.6/4.2 g carbs
Wish I could have some , but need gluten free .
Bhambabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
shykins
Senior LCF Member
 
shykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 666
Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
oh i would so love to try some of your recipes BUT we cannot get vital wheat gluten here. i have looked everywhere and mostly people look at me like i am mad

is it called anything else? is there anything i could replace it with? or does anyone know anywhere in the UK i can get (pref without it costing a fortune!!)

droooll at your pictures jennifer
x
__________________
When you know better you do better
shykins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
Patricia Dowd
Senior LCF Member
 
Patricia Dowd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 116
Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Jennifer this looks so good. I can't wait to try it. I am going to make up some of the bake mix but I want to be sure I understand you. It looks like you use the Spelt Flour most and only use the All Purpose when you are making cakes. I haven't used the Whole Wheat Pastry or Oat Flour yet only used the Spelt. I would think the All Purpose would get it real close to the real taste. I guess what I want to know is does it do this using the Spelt. I am very excited about this bake mix especially mixed with the Carbalose. I am one that has a problem with the smell so I hope this works because it will open up a whole new world of baking for me. I was looking at your cookbooks last night trying to decide what I wanted to try this weekend but I think I will try this recipe. All your recipes look so good I want to try them all. LOL. With working I just don't have time during the week and not alot of time on the weekend. Thank you so much for these great recipes and keep them coming.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Bhambabe, you may use my gluten-free bake mix instead:

Gluten-Free Bake Mix:
1 ½ cups oat flour
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup sifted coconut flour
1 tsp Xanthan gum

There is a small possibility that you may need a little more moisture - in which case add a little water or a couple of tablespoons extra butter, melted.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Shykins, I'm not sure how much Netrition would charge to ship the product to you, however, maybe all you need to do is phone the nearest Seventh Day Adventist Church? Seventh Day Adventists use a lot of vital wheat gluten due to the protein content. Otherwise use the gluten-free bake mix. You may have to grind your own coconut flour as you probably don't find that there very easily either. Do you have a good health food store nearby? Perhaps they can order and keep low-carb specialty items in stock.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
shykins
Senior LCF Member
 
shykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 666
Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
thanks jennifer... no seventh day adventists round here to my knowledge, in fact not much of anything round here lol

have tried the health food shop and all they wanted to give me was gluten free when i explained they looked at me like i was insane!!

if the gluten free mix can be used like for like then that could solve my problem

thanks very much
__________________
When you know better you do better
shykins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi Patricia - I'm so glad I make someone happy.

To be honest I used spelt years ago as it was an alternative to wheat and many people have an allergy to wheat - thing is these days I most often use oat flour and after that whole wheat pastry flour. I think spelt flour would be very tasty if you can handle the few extra carbs.

I try to stick with the oat flour as that is lower in carbs and people want that. In fact, I use my low-carb bake mix even more often for that same reason - there are no flours in it. People for the most part are anti-grains when they are strictly low-carbing.

Oat flour is close in carbs to soy flour and Dr. Atkins did not seem against that. And these days even people with a gluten-intolerance may have oat flour within reason as long as it is oat flour that is certified gluten-free. I don't use soy flour anymore because many people have thyroid issues - myself included.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 05-21-2010 at 08:21 AM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Shykins - yes you can use the gluten-free bake mix in place of my other bake mixes, but sometimes you may need a little more in the way of wet ingredients. You will get a feel for it after a while - in fact, you may be able to use less of it (maybe 1/4 cup less) when replacing the low-carb bake mix and thereby cut carbs. It is a little higher in carbs unfortunately - you can find the number of carbs in it on my blog - but a good alternative for those who can't tolerate gluten or for those who can't source it easily. It is a really tasty bake mix. Hope you like it.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Patricia Dowd
Senior LCF Member
 
Patricia Dowd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 116
Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Thanks Jennifer. I myself do not like the taste of soy flour. I love George Stella's cookbooks but he uses soy flour so I have not tried his desserts for that reason. With all the other things these days that are available I would think he would use something else but maybe his family has no problem with it.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wherever George uses soy flour, sub oat flour or whole wheat pastry flour and I bet it will be fine.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 1,643
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Wow Jennifer, another work amazing recipe and mouth watering picture!!!! Thanks for your gluten free bake mix reminder, it's very good!
__________________
“Anyone who is in danger should save himself.”
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
That's good, Angie. I was amazed when I was redoing my blog to make it more user-friendly, just how many recipes are gluten-free. As for the baking recipes, for someone of your experience substituting another bake mix like the gluten-free one will be a no-brainer. So nice to see you - you were away from the recipe room for a while. I always notice as I miss your input. Thx.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 1,643
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Thanks Jennifer! So nice to see you too!

I'm not sure if it's gluten or fiber or what that bothers me sometimes so I've just decided to go gluten free because I never have any issues that way. We're so lucky to have your gluten free bake mix, it's really wonderful!

I had gained a few pounds a couple of months ago so I went back to induction for a while (hard to read all of these super yummy recipes when eating very plainly). But I lost the weight and am back to read and gather fantastic recipes (and wow you've posted a lot of amazing ones!). I'm pretty sure the weight gain was from being too indulgent with wine - cut it out and went on induction and poof, lost the weight!
__________________
“Anyone who is in danger should save himself.”
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
KellBell1234
Senior LCF Member
 
KellBell1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 363
Gallery: KellBell1234
This looks delicious! I love banana bread, this is definitely a must try for me.
__________________
KellBell
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
mizski
Junior LCF Member
 
mizski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 54
Gallery: mizski
Stats: 312/149/150
WOE: Primal Atkins
Wowee...it has REAL banana in it!! Definitely a maintenance item for me but it will be nice to have banana bread with, ummm....banana in it.

Thanks so much for posting this recipe!
__________________
My Facebook Page
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!
 
mac24312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Far SW Virginia
Posts: 1,405
Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
VITAL ULTIMATE BAKE MIX

Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 60 %, if SPLENDA® is used as well.


My latest Discovery: By substituting half of any of my bake mixes (and especially the Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes) with Carbalose flour from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! one gets superior results than simply using my bake mix. In fact, the results are so similar to baking with white flour that it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference. Experiment and let me know how it turns out for you. Any feedback would be helpful to others too. I will continue to explore this avenue as time goes by. The thing is many people were put off by Carbalose flour or Carbquik, in particular, because of a strange taste or smell that some people could detect too strongly. However, that problem is solved when doing the former bake mix combo. I have not worked with Carbquik and most likely will not in the future either, however, I love Carbalose flour used in this manner. The carb count in the recipes will not change. There is no carb savings.


NOTE: One cup of white flour is about 91.5 g carbs and 1 cup of Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (the highest carb option with spelt flour, say) is 33.6 g carb, for a savings of 57.9 g carbs. Now that is the worst case scenario. Most people would use oat or whole wheat pastry flour options and then the numbers look like this: 24.4 g carbs vs 91.5 g carbs per cup for a savings of 67.1 g carbs. Actually, in the grand scheme of things not huge differences - surprisingly! For those of you who cannot have any grains at this point in time, choose to use my really low-carb bake mix called Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix
1 1/2 cups almond flour, ground almonds, OR (375 mL)
ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL)
whole wheat pastry flour, OR oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL)/serv. (spelt)
139.5 calories; 8.2 g protein, 8.0 g fat; 8.4 g carbs

Variations: *Vital Whole Wheat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with whole wheat pastry flour):
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

*Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with oat flour): 136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (with all-purpose flour): I very rarely use this combination, but will choose to make the bake mix with spelt flour instead as in main recipe with nutritional analysis shown. It is useful for a very special occasion, delicate-textured cake or loaf or muffins, etc.
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

If you are using ground almonds instead of almond flour, please add an extra 1/2 cup (125 mL). This will give the correct yield, however, if you forget, it will not harm the recipe results. Even although I mentioned ground almonds in my recipe books, I actually used almond flour at the time. These days I cannot get almond flour where I live and because I use so much of it, I have to grind my own from sliced almonds that I buy. It is coarsely ground compared to almond flour. Almond flour, of course, is more superior in baking.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix may replace Low-Carb Bake Mix, in recipes. Just use 2 tbsp (25 mL) less Vital Ultimate Bake Mix per cup of Low-Carb Bake Mix. It may also replace cup-for-cup any of the other Ultimate Bake Mixes in my other cookbooks. However, do not substitute the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix for the Vital Ultimate Bake Mix - for one, you'd need to use more of it (maybe 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup) and for two, I cannot guarantee the result.
Hey Jen...

In otherwords when I make your Vital Ultimate Bake Mix and I grind my own almonds use 1/2 cup MORE Almonds in my mix or 1/2 cup more Vital Ult Bake mix in the recipe??

Sorry about that..I am tired tonight and I think I am reading it wrong..

I want to try this Banana Bread SOON!!

HUGS
Christina
__________________
I have lost over 130 pounds in 2 years and still losing.LC has changed my life and I will always stay with it!!:clap
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #24
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
It is important not to overbake this banana bread. I think the one with Carbalose flour was drier than the one made solely with my bake mix. I do remember the bell ringing and I got distracted and removed the loaf maybe 8 minutes later.

Christina - if you're using almonds you grind yourself, then add 1/2 cup extra to your bake mix. It doesn't matter to the recipe if you forget but it will make the carbs slightly higher.

Mizski - too sweet - your reaction! Yep, real banana in it, but surprisingly the carbs are distributed quite kindly in the bread, especially if you omit the raisins or dates.

Angie, I'm so impressed with your ability to get the weight off again so quickly. You are amazing!

Kellbell, I think you won't be disappointed especially since this bread is low-carb and you can have some. It freezes well too.

I hope I got everyone. Have a great low-carbing day!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #25
GeorgeStella
Junior LCF Member
 
GeorgeStella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Gallery: GeorgeStella
one more, for breakfast! And PLEASE try alternatives to these recipes using these as a base! And they both make great muffins too! see ya! G.
APPLE WALNUT PANCAKES
From George Stella's GOOD CARB FAMILY COOKBOOK
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 6 MINS SERVES: 4
NET CARBS: 5g CALORIES: 200 FAT: 15g PROTEIN: 9g FIBER: 4g
For some reason breakfast seems to be the one meal that people have trouble keeping exciting. Even I fall into the ho-hum fried egg routine at times and that’s why we came up with a flour and sugar-free pancake mix. Because you can never really have too much of a good thing, we’ve made this tasty variation on our classic pancake recipe. Plus, the apples will keep doctors from coming into your kitchen and eating your lunch out of the fridge.
shopping list

vegetable oil spray
BATTER
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup sugar replacement
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
FILLING
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar replacement
1/2 cup fresh diced apple
1/4 cup coarse chopped walnuts
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: griddle or large nonstick pan

directions
1. Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl with a rubber spatula or kitchen spoon until well blended and then scrape into a large measuring cup.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the filling ingredients.
3. Grease a griddle or nonstick pan with vegetable spray or butter and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. Pour 8 medium size cakes onto the hot griddle or pan and let cook on one side for 2 minutes. Before flipping, sprinkle each cake evenly with the filling and let cook for about 2 minutes more until golden brown on the bottom. Then flip the cakes and cook for about 2 minutes more to finish. Serve topped with a pat of butter and garnished with fresh apple slices if desired! Do I dare recommend sugar-free whipped cream? You bet I do!
GEORGE’S TIPS:
Make sure to have the griddle heated up and do not turn the pancakes over too soon; take a peek at the bottom and if it comes up easily and looks golden brown go ahead and flip ‘em!
Watching cholesterol? Eggbeaters or egg whites may be used in place of whole eggs.
GeorgeStella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #26
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!
 
mac24312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Far SW Virginia
Posts: 1,405
Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStella View Post
one more, for breakfast! And PLEASE try alternatives to these recipes using these as a base! And they both make great muffins too! see ya! G.
APPLE WALNUT PANCAKES
From George Stella's GOOD CARB FAMILY COOKBOOK
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 6 MINS SERVES: 4
NET CARBS: 5g CALORIES: 200 FAT: 15g PROTEIN: 9g FIBER: 4g
For some reason breakfast seems to be the one meal that people have trouble keeping exciting. Even I fall into the ho-hum fried egg routine at times and that’s why we came up with a flour and sugar-free pancake mix. Because you can never really have too much of a good thing, we’ve made this tasty variation on our classic pancake recipe. Plus, the apples will keep doctors from coming into your kitchen and eating your lunch out of the fridge.
shopping list

vegetable oil spray
BATTER
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup sugar replacement
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
FILLING
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar replacement
1/2 cup fresh diced apple
1/4 cup coarse chopped walnuts
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: griddle or large nonstick pan

directions
1. Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl with a rubber spatula or kitchen spoon until well blended and then scrape into a large measuring cup.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the filling ingredients.
3. Grease a griddle or nonstick pan with vegetable spray or butter and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. Pour 8 medium size cakes onto the hot griddle or pan and let cook on one side for 2 minutes. Before flipping, sprinkle each cake evenly with the filling and let cook for about 2 minutes more until golden brown on the bottom. Then flip the cakes and cook for about 2 minutes more to finish. Serve topped with a pat of butter and garnished with fresh apple slices if desired! Do I dare recommend sugar-free whipped cream? You bet I do!
GEORGE’S TIPS:
Make sure to have the griddle heated up and do not turn the pancakes over too soon; take a peek at the bottom and if it comes up easily and looks golden brown go ahead and flip ‘em!
Watching cholesterol? Eggbeaters or egg whites may be used in place of whole eggs.


WOW!!



HI GEORGE!!

Glad to see you here also friend!

Just love the new books btw!!

HUGS!
Christina
__________________
I have lost over 130 pounds in 2 years and still losing.LC has changed my life and I will always stay with it!!:clap

Last edited by mac24312; 05-23-2010 at 06:33 AM..
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #27
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 14,922
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Wow..I'm so glad to see George here..I love your books..I need to get your new one.

And, that banana bread looks nommie,..I'll have to get one banana at the store.
__________________
Springing into Fitness

153
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,695
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What a pleasure that you have joined this forum! I have all your books. I am looking forward to hearing your input. Welcome.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #29
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 2,945
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi George - nice to "meet" you. I have heard so much about you.

I'm guessing Christina, who says you are a personal friend of hers, must have alerted you to this thread and the discussion about your cookbook. I hope we were tactful.

Would you think we could sub oat flour for soy flour in your recipes? I hope that was not too presumptious of me to suggest it. I was trying to be helpful so that people could still enjoy your recipes that contain soy flour.

It was Dana Carpender that alerted me to the problems with soy for thyroid in 1999. I had almost finished writing Splendid Low-Carbing when her newsletter arrived in my inbox and I literally groaned. I went through my book and wherever possible I provided alternatives for soy. Little did I know that by then I myself was hopelessly hypothyroid and quite ill. After writing More Splendid Low-Carbing and struggling vainly to lose weight myself, I was very soon thereafter diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune thyroid disease. I am now in remission for the disease, however, I am afraid of using goitrogenic soy in any significant quantity because of the depressive effect it has on the thyroid. When one becomes hypothyroid, it is exceedingly difficult to lose weight - that has also been my unfortunate experience which lasted several years. I had a fairly large goiter which has since diminished in size.

"The link between isoflavones and decreased thyroid function is, in fact, one of the few areas in which flavonoid intake has been called into question as problematic. Isoflavones like genistein appear to reduce thyroid hormone output by blocking activity of an enzyme called thyroid peroxidase. This enzyme is responsible for adding iodine onto the thyroid hormones. (Thyroid hormones must typically have three or four iodine atoms added on to their structure in order to function properly.)"

Of course, this does mean that soy is a potential problem for some of us trying to lose weight but fortunately there are other alternatives.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #30
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,513
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi George!!

drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.