Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
ReneeBW
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeBW
Stats: 175/143.6/goal -135
WOE: HCG
hCG Diet and Hypothyroidism

Does anybody know if the hCG Diet is safe for people with hypothyroidism?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Safe? Does it contain soy? Does it contain goitrogenic foods? Does it force you to NOT take your T4 and T3 hormones? Does it bind incoming hormone? (HCG being a hormone...could bind your incoming hormone....but you just look at your Free T4 and Free T3 testing and if it binds you'd have the doc raise your incoming T4 and T3).

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 11-04-2009 at 08:14 AM..
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would add that at 500 cal a day, the hcg diet might suppress your T3 because your body react to starvation-level calories.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Thanks Leo...didn't know THAT was part of it. Yeah, if I was into starvation mode with Hashi's...it usually backfires and shuts down all conversion no matter how much T3 is incoming. (And you can see too low calories in action....those with anorexia usually need to be replaced for ALL their hormones when they 'get well'.)

Pam
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Why don't you go read up on it some more. This is not a really good way to find out something so important to your health.

That you believe it is a starvation diet adn didn't know about the hormone injections, tells me that you might not have done much personal research into it.

There are clinics and doctors you could call to get more information, however because it is a commercial weight loss plan, you cannot ask for references on LCF, but a google search or ask someone off site by email about the clinic or doctor they may use is okay.

Go check out the HCG thread and lurk a bit and ask some questions. Many people in general have never heard of HCG so that is a better place to ask than in general, since someone currently on the plan may have the same situation.

Just a suggestion. Good luck in your research.

BTW: HCG Diet ( the food) consists of 200g of lean meat and small amount of starch as wheat breadstick, and the balance of the calories made up of many choices of vegetable such as cucumbers, celery,tomato, cabbage, asparagus, lettuce, radishes,etc, and apples, grapefruit, oranges and strawberries. their is no soy or other beans or grains that may have estrogens and stuff. the plan makes use of ketosis to fuel the body in addition to the 500 calories each day that is required to eat. and I believe prescription medicines are allowed to be continued, so you don't Have To stop taking anything.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...09-thread.html
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-04-2009 at 10:17 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Are you addressing me, since I'm the one who mentioned "starvation"?

I happen to know all about the injections; I researched it some time ago and read the original protocols. However, my point was that below a certain calorie level (regardless of what you're injecting), the body will react negatively in terms of the thyroid, which was the original poster's question.

As Pam has pointed out, someone who is taking meds for hypothyroid would cancel out the effects of the meds because the body would lower the hormone levels even further.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No I was addressing the OP who was asking about it. You did mention starvation and she agreed she didn't know about that so that made me think she didn't know much about the whole of the HCG protocol besides the diet foods. It seemed she was at first asking about the diet, and then learned there was more too it than just the food eaten.

I wasn't addressing you as I can tell by your answers so far that you know more abut how it might affect thyroid than I, but still felt she could get more POV's in the HCG thread than just out in general. I'm actually glad you responded as I have no idea about how it would affect a impaired thyroid, and my answer to ask in the thread would have been the same regardless.

I do wonder if the 500 very low calorie consumption would have the same effect on the body as it's not the injection itself but how the body responds that gives additional fuel, so would she really be starving, based on how the protocol claims to work? Wouldn't the burning of fat give her more calories from her own body storage in addition to the 500 dietary calories?

Interesting, I'd like to know more, but I must be a passive observer.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-04-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
GeneaX1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GeneaX1
Stats: 5'7" 297/281.6/140 P2/D9 of VLCP
WOE: HCG+Fast5
Start Date: March 12 2009
FYI, I have Hashimoto's and it was my thyroid doctor who put me on the hcg protocol. I've done really well on it and if anything my thyroid levels have improved. I actually had a thyroidectomy a few years ago and am taking both t3/t4. It hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by GeneaX1; 11-04-2009 at 11:41 AM..
GeneaX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Leo41
Senior LCF member

OK! Now we have an expert reply. I guess the HCG does balance the low calories and thus not affect the thyroid.

I was guessing there'd be a problem based on the fact that normally very low calories will cause problems for hypos .
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

from what I've read the HCG allows the body to release the balance of the body's caloric need from the stored fat. the 500 calories provides the protein to keep the process of ketosis safely going and give enough glucose from carbohydrates for brain use, according to textbook physiology info.

That would mean the persons fat would be supplying around 1500 calories a day or so toward functioning with 500 extra being food, assuming a 2000 calorie body. Since one is not replacing the fat with excess food, the fat stores naturally shrink. I think the difference is that the body won't be starving because the HCG tells it to use the fat rather than saving it. So even though the person is consuming very low calories, they have plenty of calories to live on.

Does that sound about right, GeneaX?
IBKKF 898
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
watcher513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: watcher513
I think I'd pass out on 500 calories/day. I lost 20 lbs in 3 months just cutting back on the white stuff and switching to whole grains (if you can), eating sensibly/more veggies, drank more water, walked daily and ate every 3-4 hours, like clockwork. Amazingly, it wasn't that difficult. I grazed. It worked. It amazed me. I almost had to make myself eat because I wasn't that hungry when a main meal time came around.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Thanks Leo...didn't know THAT was part of it. Yeah, if I was into starvation mode with Hashi's...it usually backfires and shuts down all conversion no matter how much T3 is incoming. (And you can see too low calories in action....those with anorexia usually need to be replaced for ALL their hormones when they 'get well'.)

Pam
IDK about the thyroid part but you are consuming 500 calories a day and RELEASING about 1500 from your fat stores WITH the HCG there is no starvation mode unless you are so close to goal you don't have that kind of fat reserves

and i am pretty sure the homeopathic hcg wouldn't interfere with your other hormones..none of my family stopped taking any of their meds while on it and all lost 21+ pounds in 23 dosing days

DH is on thyroid medicine and i can't remember the name of it!

GeneaX1 i didn't see your post!! congratulations!! that is so awesome!
HCG start 351.2 DS14 339.2 DH 223.4
my facebook 179.75 miles DS1612.75 miles
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

oh and i just remembered!!! DH had a thyroid test while we were on protocol and the doc said his meds were fine and the levels were good they had been worried they were going to have to increase them! HTH
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
GeneaX1
Senior LCF Member

metqa - that sounds about right. your body needs so many calories for fuel, so whatever is available that the hcg has freed up + the 500 cals you eat, it will use. if you get too many, it will store what it doesn't need.

I've been reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the author made a really interesting comment about how your body will use the fuel that is most easily/readily available first. If you eat sugar or refined carbs, they are used first because they are the most easily processed by the body for fuel. This is likely why eating sugar and refined carbs is such a huge no-no while on the hcg. He also stressed that protein is really important for maintaining muscle mass, along with being good at speeding up your metabolism and keeping hunger in check. It takes a lot more energy to digest protein than to digest fat or carbs. He thinks most women should eat 2x the amount of protein that is common in America and recommends a ratio of 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) and stresses good quality carbs like fruit, veggies, and whole grains. I'm planning on following his book while off the hcg, once I get through reading it.

~It's a great book by the way. It has some good in-depth discussion on the latest science on nutrition and fat loss, and also discusses why the old advice that you should eat less and exercise more to lose fat ends up working against you. The author has a good sense of humor that makes the book an easy and fun read too.

P.S. I also think part of the need for eating the 500 calories has to do with your digestive process. if that totally stopped, you'd have some pretty big problems....

Last edited by GeneaX1; 11-04-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Hmm, wait a minute. The OP hasn't said whether they are or aren't hypothyroid. Haven't said if they are on both T4/T3, haven't posted their stats, ranges, age, hormone levels, etc. etc.

I will tell you this: If a person does NOT have hypothyroidism, but it's in their family (Hashimoto's) and they are on 500 cals a day...they run a fairly good chance of triggering TPO antibodies. This is just scientific/hormonal fact. Two out of every ten women have TPO antibodies, and they are triggered by hormonal events. Pregnancy and birth are two events, so I'm wondering how HCG figures into that.

I'd want to see all the studies of all the people who've done this diet (hasn't this been around for YEARS???? I remember two of my Aunts doing this and then packing on DOUBLE what they lost afterwards...but, then again, they never were able to lose their overweight and maintain the loss, over and over and over and over.....), have hypothyroidism and kept the weight off for over seven years. So, I'd LOVE to see those 'took it off with this diet and KEPT IT OFF FOR 7 YEARS PLUS'. Especially the studies of those with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism as well as those over the age of 45.

I've kept my overweight off for several years now. I MUST exercise to keep it off (at 55 yrs. old, prosthetic leg, crushed hands, cancer times three now, Hashimoto's, PAN, HIE, Sjogrens....) and eat 'lower' carb. (Lower for me is 60grams on non weight lifting days, and YES, I have the book New Rules, I love it...but not as much as I still love BFFM as far as 'eating plan' and 80 grams on lifting days...).

If you love to eat, ya gotta love to work out..I do NO cardio. Oh, and I never went below 1700 cals a day...and I don't go under that now. I'm lucky to have a job where my pedometer says anywhere from 5 to 8 miles a shift. They pay ME to exercise.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 11-04-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneaX1 View Post
P.S. I also think part of the need for eating the 500 calories has to do with your digestive process. if that totally stopped, you'd have some pretty big problems....
Interesting about the lifting book.
I think there is more to it than digestion, the 500 cal. otherwise, it could be 500 call of anything. since it is specifically low fat and very low starch, and majority protein, that it has to do with the fat burning process. Some people have even used protein shakes in leau of meat. (no thank you). I'm thinking along the lines of : Protein without fat leads to starvation, fat without protein leads to muscle wasting, ketone production( fat burning) requires both fat and protein, the body provided the fat, and the menu provided the protein, and the veggies provide enough separate carbs for the brain. Of course a 21 day water fast is not un-doable, and digestion afterward would go back to normal.

Quote:
I will tell you this: If a person does NOT have hypothyroidism, but it's in their family (Hashimoto's) and they are on 500 cals a day...they run a fairly good chance of triggering TPO antibodies. This is just scientific/hormonal fact. Two out of every ten women have TPO antibodies, and they are triggered by hormonal events. Pregnancy and birth are two events, so I'm wondering how HCG figures into that.
That is interesting. So you are saying it's a double jeopardy? the 500 calories and the hcg hormone itself? We've already established that more than 500 calories are being used by the body so that leaves the fact that it is triggered by the HcG hormone. Hmm, Are the Antibodies triggered hormonal events, low calories or both? And does the hormone in question have to be produced by the body itself to trigger the antibodies. Pregnancy has a lot more hormone changes than just hcg. Estrogen, progesterine, HCG, cortisol, prolactin and many others. The body responds to hormones, even if the hormones aren't produced by the body itself(ie. HRT). So would using HCG still count as a hormonal event, since the body is not under any stress or strain to produce it? What about men who use HCG and have hypothyroidism?

I'd like to know the answers to these questions as well.

Quote:
So, I'd LOVE to see those 'took it off with this diet and KEPT IT OFF FOR 7 YEARS PLUS'. Especially the studies of those with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism as well as those over the age of 45.
Pam
That could be said for any diet out there. It's not a failure of the reduction plan during the plan if a person doesn't maintain years down the line. HCG is a reducing protocol, not a lifetime woe.

I don't think it's fair to say "look at you much later, oh, you gained, then it was a failure way back then"
Circumstances happen.

I can't blame the HCG protocol for the fact that my walls became moldy ( I'll blame my landlord) and I had allergic reactions that caused inflammation and hives and rapid weight gain. In fact, I maintained my weight until the mold happened. and now that it's over, I'm maintaining my current weight. I'm sorry your Aunt's had a tough time of it, but everybody's body is different. Maybe they had other issues, as I did.

I hope in seven years, I won't be in the same place, physically, financially, or in any other manner as I am now. I hope, if I exercise and eat right, that I can have a healthier body in the future, but I don't believe that my weight will never change.

Unfortunately, nobody is interested in studying HCG. The FDA made a statement and that was that. The few people who know of it either think it's wonderful or think it's crazy. So the only way to keep track of these folks is to do it one by one, personally.

Wanna make a poll and a challenge to collect the information of Hypo's on HCG and get them to come back in seven years to tell their stories? I think that'd be great. Good luck.
IBKKF 898
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Low calories (below 900 or so for most adult women) triggers TPO antibodies. UNbalanced hormones trigger TPO antibodies. We know this. This is WHY pregnancy and menopause often trigger TPO antibodies into Hashimoto's disease. So, I'm wondering if taking HCG can trigger TPO antibodies. In pregnancy you have elevated progesterone, which isn't 'balanced', and in menopause you have progesterone sliding away FIRST which can trigger TPO antibodies.

It's really something to wonder about...and my statement about 'keeping it off' had more to do along the lines of "Why submit my body to HCG if it just makes me lose weight" and it's the same in "Why submit my body to speed, diet pills, etc etc. just to lose weight". When I went lowcarb I didn't do it just to lose weight, I did it to have a snowball's chance in Hades of being able to eat that way for the rest of my life. I don't think I could eat 500 calories for the rest of my life But I KNOW that ll my little foray's into 'diet land' throughout my younger years is what triggered my TPO's (yep, all those Soup Diets, eat only three bananas a day diets, the 'I can't afford to feed my two little kids and still eat more than a half a meal a day myself' (not really a diet, a way of life for a poor Mom).

Just questions I ponder. Actually I'm kind of lucky in a way..I've got THOUSANDS of emails, posts, etc. and the majority of the young women (under the age of 40..although that may just be MY opinion of 'young', heh heh) who now are facing problems finding treatment and a good thyroid doctor had dieted to 'extreme' in their younger years. The correlation is HUGE...about 90% had actually starved themselves down to a size (zero, 1, 2, pick one) at one time only to rebound back.

The most success stories are of women who decided to eat healthier and work out three times a week. Yep. MOST are lower carb (but a lot have Celiac and other autoimmune disorders), but a few are those that track their calories (none below 1300 btw) religiously and do the WW thing, and work out a couple times a week. I have NONE, nada, zilch that did HCG.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 11-05-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #18
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Pam in Pregnant women the hcg makes the calories from the fat available to the embryo/fetus

in non pregnant people(works on guys too) that energy released by the fat metabolism is available to the body of the person taking it...i KNOW you are seeing only the number and not the process, but honestly you have 1500+ calories of energy available to your body every day!

no way would i endorse a 500 calorie a day protocol without HCG! but this has been an absolute miracle for me and my family(me ,DH and DS14)(DH is on thyroid meds)
and as Metqa said this is not a lifestyle NOT MEANT TO BE FOLLOWED FOR LIFE..it is a measured amount of time to break though the obesity setpoints many of us have, mentally i was only able to do 23 days but physically i could have done the longer 40 day round and been fine

please read pound and inches the original written by Dr. Simeons in the 50s

to the OP find a doc you trust and ask! hopefully you can find the right solution for you
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
Pam in Pregnant women the hcg makes the calories from the fat available to the embryo/fetus

in non pregnant people(works on guys too) that energy released by the fat metabolism is available to the body of the person taking it...i KNOW you are seeing only the number and not the process, but honestly you have 1500+ calories of energy available to your body every day!

no way would i endorse a 500 calorie a day protocol without HCG! but this has been an absolute miracle for me and my family(me ,DH and DS14)(DH is on thyroid meds)
and as Metqa said this is not a lifestyle NOT MEANT TO BE FOLLOWED FOR LIFE..it is a measured amount of time to break though the obesity setpoints many of us have, mentally i was only able to do 23 days but physically i could have done the longer 40 day round and been fine

please read pound and inches the original written by Dr. Simeons in the 50s

to the OP find a doc you trust and ask! hopefully you can find the right solution for you
I'm not talking JUST calories here. I'm asking if the HCG is the same HCG which also helps TRIGGER TPO antibodies. Many of us didn't go on the three bananas a day diet in order to have a WOL....WOE...we did it to break the cycle of eating. ???? What makes that any different? In the 50's is when my Mom first had Hashimoto's. She went on to have Hashimoto's Encephalopathy and died.

What if doing locarb breaks the setpoint? With no incoming HCG or hormones? I'm asking questions and not getting answers (but because no one KNOWS...there ARE a few doctors out there, mainly ones who treat autoimmune hypothyroidism in those who've triggered it through UNbalanced hormones...you're putting something in your body that may unbalance other hormones and trigger TPO).

I'm just curious. I just want to know is this going to be something that is an additional trigger to the millions of humans already stricken with autoimmune hypothyroid? Right now we're seeing two out of every ten women. And about one out of every 100 men because men don't generally take hormones, have progesterone in high amounts or get pregnant.

I think we need to keep in mind that doctors treated almost ALL cases of hypothyroidism in the 50's with natural porcine thyroid. Now that synthetic has caused an increase of dollars in pockets (you can get a patent on a synthetic) most docs won't give natural porcine thyroid hormone and we aren't as well medicated. So..what if back in the 50's, when this was written, they weren't 'as worried' about that?

What if this IS the 'way to go' back then but other consequences have changed that for the worse? You're talking 40 days and I'm talking a LIFETIME of trying to get an autoimmune disease treated. If someone would have told me 30 years ago that my little diet excursions would give me an autoimmune disease that would have led to others, I would have thought much more carefully about it.

Just questions. Not getting many answers though. If you all are this knowledgeable about it, then I'm thinking you may have ready access to the info we need to protect ourselves against any more of us triggering autoimmune disease. When you talk about hormones, you have to consider what might happen. Did Dr. S write about how this would trigger TPO antibodies (prolly not).

Pam
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #20
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

idk about the RX hcg but i am sure the homeopathic doesn't have enough actual hcg in it to trigger...DH 's numbers(whatever they were) actually improved and his military doctor was very pleased
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #21
GeneaX1
Senior LCF Member

There seem to be assumptions that anyone can lose weight using any method or using lc, and so hcg isn't really a necessity when people can use another method. In my case, that really wasn't true. I had been on WW and been doing lc for about 6 months. I was strictly adhering to diets, and couldn't drop even 5 pounds in that time. It stopped the weight gain I'd been struggling with, but that wasn't really enough, you know? I found a new thyroid specialist at about that point because I suspected that my regular doctor wasn't treating that well enough, and along with adjusting my thyroid meds the new doc put me on the hcg (as he does for many thyroid patients). I was amazed at how easily the hcg took the fat off. I was also amazed at how fantastic I quickly started feeling. I had been constantly exhausted for months prior to that, and suddenly I had energy and no trouble getting out of bed in the morning. People who do the maintenance steps correctly have no trouble keeping it off, and there are a few people over on youtube who have kept it off long term (though maybe not 7 years yet - see Sheepra or mamaclok). The hardest thing is not returning to former bad habits, but that is probably true for anyone who changes to a healthier WOE.

I don't know about the TPO antibodies, but I have several immune disorders, (Hashi's, PCOS, and IBS). All have improved, seemingly due to the hcg protocol and the lost weight.

Last edited by GeneaX1; 11-06-2009 at 07:46 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #22
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
There seem to be assumptions that anyone can lose weight using any method or using lc, and so hcg isn't really a necessity when people can use another method. In my case, that really wasn't true. I had been on WW and been doing lc for about 6 months. I was strictly adhering to diets, and couldn't drop even 5 pounds in that time. I found a new thyroid specialist at about that point because I suspected that my regular doctor wasn't treating that well enough, and along with adjusting my thyroid meds the new doc put me on the hcg (as he does for many thyroid patients). I was amazed at how easily the hcg took the fat off. I was also amazed at how fantastic I quickly started feeling. I had been constantly exhausted for months prior to that, and suddenly I had energy and no trouble getting out of bed in the morning. People who do the maintenance steps correctly have no trouble keeping it off, and there are a few people over on youtube who have kept it off long term (though maybe not 7 years yet - see Sheepra or mamaclok). The hardest thing is not returning to former bad habits, but that is probably true for anyone who changes to a healthier WOE.
so your thyroid doctor actually put you on the hcg?? if there had been any problems the doctor wouldn't have done that!

i am so glad it worked for you! like you nothing BUDGED! and this 23 days has honestly changed my life! i am going back to atkins for P4 and hopefully be ready for R2 in Jan.

and you are SO RIGHT energy and no trouble getting out of bed in the mornings! i don't think i have ever in my life had that before! even as a kid i could not get enough sleep. and now i am fine even before the alarm goes off!

KUTGW!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Low calories (below 900 or so for most adult women) triggers TPO antibodies. UNbalanced hormones trigger TPO antibodies. We know this. This is WHY pregnancy and menopause often trigger TPO antibodies into Hashimoto's disease. So, I'm wondering if taking HCG can trigger TPO antibodies. In pregnancy you have elevated progesterone, which isn't 'balanced', and in menopause you have progesterone sliding away FIRST which can trigger TPO antibodies.

It's really something to wonder about...and my statement about 'keeping it off' had more to do along the lines of "Why submit my body to HCG if it just makes me lose weight" and it's the same in "Why submit my body to speed, diet pills, etc etc. just to lose weight". When I went lowcarb I didn't do it just to lose weight, I did it to have a snowball's chance in Hades of being able to eat that way for the rest of my life. I don't think I could eat 500 calories for the rest of my life But I KNOW that ll my little foray's into 'diet land' throughout my younger years is what triggered my TPO's (yep, all those Soup Diets, eat only three bananas a day diets, the 'I can't afford to feed my two little kids and still eat more than a half a meal a day myself' (not really a diet, a way of life for a poor Mom).

Just questions I ponder. Actually I'm kind of lucky in a way..I've got THOUSANDS of emails, posts, etc. and the majority of the young women (under the age of 40..although that may just be MY opinion of 'young', heh heh) who now are facing problems finding treatment and a good thyroid doctor had dieted to 'extreme' in their younger years. The correlation is HUGE...about 90% had actually starved themselves down to a size (zero, 1, 2, pick one) at one time only to rebound back.

The most success stories are of women who decided to eat healthier and work out three times a week. Yep. MOST are lower carb (but a lot have Celiac and other autoimmune disorders), but a few are those that track their calories (none below 1300 btw) religiously and do the WW thing, and work out a couple times a week. I have NONE, nada, zilch that did HCG.

Pam
I'm glad that low carb and exercise has worked so well for you. I'm glad all of your friends have found a plan that works for them, LC, Gluten free, WW, whatever it may be.

NObody is trying to hide anything from you. I can't talk about Hashimoto's cause I don't HAVE hashimoto's, nor does anyone in my immediate or extended family. It's a non issue for me personally.

Not everybody wants to, needs to, or has to lose weight the way You and your friends did in order to be successful. Success is highly personalized, you see. You and many others have reasons for avoiding a certain diet. That's fine. I don't have those reasons so I have more options to attain my goal, long and short term. Most of the people I know are using HCG for our own reasons and for some of us losing weight is reason enough, but since you don't know why we are losing that weight there is no need put down our choice just because you can do it without.

So what if nobody you know did HCG? I know lots of people who have and it works for them. If you are scared of HCG that's fine , don't use it, you don't have to. Don't recommend it to others in your same situation. That is a very responsible thing to do to warn people of possible dangers to them. But at least be informed about what you warning about. If you can't find the information, then find a credible guide like a doctor who does know. If he doesn't know, keep looking. . Don't go saying it's harmful if you don't know, just say "I don't know for sure". I don't know if HCG ALONE triggers antibodies. I'm not gonna go around saying it does or it doesn't.

This is not to be mean or put offish, but I feel like well intentioned curiosity has become a finger wagging at everyone who is using HCG because you don't personally understand it. I understood enough about HCG to decide it was okay for ME. I wouldn't tell anyone with serious issues to try it cause I'm not a doctor, but something that has been missed is that GENEAX'S Doctor put her on HCG to improve her thyroid health.

Maybe She can refer you to him for your questions.

If someone get's harmed(heaven forbid) directly because of HCG, unfortunately that is more information to add to our knowledge. And consider that any study done to find out the answers the questions you ask would have to , by the very nature of the study, put some people in harms way to allow whatever happens to happen so that we can understand all aspects of it. That means in order to know if Antibodies are triggered, someone with Hashimotos will have to allow themselves to do the protocol and risk it. Information gleaned from people who have done it means more than speculation about what might happen by people who have not. We won't get any answers if nobody uses it, right?

Even the FDA note about HCG not being for weight loss doesn't have any reference to any harm done, they just don't recommend it for weight loss. (but for anything else, it's safe, Same stuff, different use) Ever see a package of low carb shelf treats. On the package it says "not recommended for weight loss" That doesn't mean people are killing themselves by having a low carb cookie. It doesn't mean the cookie is dangerous. It means that the people who give advice about weight loss don't consider low carb cookies part of a way to lose weight, but I'll bet beans to bullocks that that lc cookie chosen over a sugar cookie helps that person stay on plan. so in essence it does help with lC weight loss, cause it is an option. HCG is just one of many options. Low carb cookies are not an option for low fat dieters. HCG may not be an option for people who have X. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
There seem to be assumptions that anyone can lose weight using any method or using lc, and so hcg isn't really a necessity when people can use another method. In my case, that really wasn't true. I had been on WW and been doing lc for about 6 months. I was strictly adhering to diets, and couldn't drop even 5 pounds in that time. It stopped the weight gain I'd been struggling with, but that wasn't really enough, you know? I found a new thyroid specialist at about that point because I suspected that my regular doctor wasn't treating that well enough, and along with adjusting my thyroid meds the new doc put me on the hcg (as he does for many thyroid patients). I was amazed at how easily the hcg took the fat off. I was also amazed at how fantastic I quickly started feeling. I had been constantly exhausted for months prior to that, and suddenly I had energy and no trouble getting out of bed in the morning. People who do the maintenance steps correctly have no trouble keeping it off, and there are a few people over on youtube who have kept it off long term (though maybe not 7 years yet - see Sheepra or mamaclok). The hardest thing is not returning to former bad habits, but that is probably true for anyone who changes to a healthier WOE.

I don't know about the TPO antibodies, but I have several immune disorders, (Hashi's, PCOS, and IBS). All have improved, seemingly due to the hcg protocol and the lost weight.
Did many people miss that. Her Doctor put her on HCG to help her thyroid. I'm sure he wouldn't have done it if he suspected it would hurt her.
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-06-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Very well said Metqa!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, it was very well said. But didn't answer my questions. Very defensive. Not necessary.

Thanks for trying to answer them though..I have all these questions out there to several doctors from around the USA (being a thyroid patient advocate for over 25 years has it rewards ). So far...none of them can answer, two have answered that they would NOT use HCG protocal until EVERY SINGLE diet and exercise program (including surgery( had been explored if the patient had Hashimoto's. (Out of all the women who HAVE hypothyroidism, 98% ..or almost ALL of them....have autoimmune Hashimot's, and incoming hormones, or precursors to hormones should be avoided until the thyroid is either completely eaten away by the antibodies or the patient has been completely replaced by enough T4 and T3...my bottom line, which is the same as these doctors..is that many of the women with this VERY COMMON disease should be replaced FIRST, then weight loss might be possible.

Is the HCG free? Is the doctor free that gives it? All the check ups? Do the doctors doing the program do a Free T4, Free T3, and TPO antibodies checks throughout treatment? Perhaps you can answer those questions.

Pam
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #26
nonstickpam107
Thyroid Patient Advocate

So, I've just finished about four hours of looking into this and can't find anything stating that it cures autoimmune hypothyroidism...or that the two docs who do this in MY area do any thyroid testing at all. (That's not all that weird, actually..but I'm trying to figure out WHY a doctor would jump to giving this protocol before testing thyroid levels and testing for TPO at all. Hmmm. Not to say that all the docs who do this are on the up and up though, endocrine wise.

I guess to answer the OP's question. I would NOT do any protocol that is not approved of by FDA nor would I take any supplement that was NOT approved for those with autoimmune antibodies (Hashimoto's is, after all an autoimmune disease) for weightloss until I had tried to get my levels of FT's optimized and THEN tried to lose weight following a diet and exercise program. Ok? The OP is plainly asking a question relating to her autoimmune disease. It's not enough to say OH snap, I lost weight on it....cuz the same could be said of doing crack and stopping all food (just an example, after all, crack is also not FDA approved, but is readily available for use as long as you have the money, they have the time).

So, my answer is this: If I was OPTIMIZED on T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin (brand names Armour, Westhroid, Naturethroid come to mind) Rx'd by my doctor (and by optimized, I mean FT4 midway of range, FT3 2/3 to top of range, progesterone replaced if needed)and remained optimized for at least three months, I would try a regular approach to diet and exercise before I would run for a non approved program/injection/oral administration of a chemical or hormone.

I feel badly for those with Hashimoto's (two out of every TEN WOMEN) who cannot get optimized treatment, but if this HCG treatment protocol is NOT free, and the cost of it is comparable to treatment by a doctor well versed in natural thyroid hormone, than I'd go for the thyroid treatment FIRST and leave HCG as a last resort. But I can see why a patient (who is having a devil of a time getting a doc to optimize her on natural thyroid) would do HCG first if it COSTS NOTHING to do.

Pam
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
GeneaX1
Senior LCF Member

Nothing is free. Even if your insurance or the government pays for it, it still isn't free. This idea though that treatments not approved by the FDA are never legitimately done or should never be done is just not true. Take PCOS for instance (something I also have). There are NO FDA approved treatments for PCOS, but many people are being treated for it. One of the FDA-approved treatments for infirtility (often caused by PCOS) is...HCG. Shocking. The idea that taking a small amount of a hormone that is considered safe by the FDA for fertiility treatments in high amounts, and is present in every pregnant woman's body in high amounts.. the idea some people push that this is more unhealthy than being severly overweight is rediculous. Regarding surgery - this is far more extreme an option than trying hcg. I know multiple people who have had weight loss surgery, and not one of them has not had all sorts of complications. Surgery is WAY more expensive (and dangerous) than hcg.

Last edited by GeneaX1; 11-07-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Until we can answer every question about every disease we know abuout and the ones we don't know about yet, until we have found the cure for everything there is wrong, then there will be people trying to improve their lives and ease their suffering and better their situation. By whatever means possible and effective. If we wait around till all the cures are found, how many people must suffer in the interim? Why is is such a problem for people to use what works for them while waiting for something better to come along? Or what if it's the best thing for them now?

HCG ain't crack, it ain't speed, it ain't poison, it ain't toxic. It has many uses besides weight loss, and for those uses, its the same dang product, just a different dose.

We don't know the answers, we are not a good source for information about T numbers and antibodies and whatever else, obviously. We do know that our choice was our choice and was good enough for us at the time. I know that some people tried it and had to quit for their own safety reasons, that have nothing to do with me or your or anybody elses reasons.

HCG has no contraindications for or against Hypothyroidism and Hashimotos. So that means people have a choice to either avoid it because it's an unknown, or to use it.
What's the big deal? the next person to come along and ask "Is HCG safe for my XYZ disease" will have to go through the same trouble, research, asking questions, getting and not getting answers and will ultimately come to the same crossroads. Take it or don't.

But if a doctor thinks it will help his/her client to use HCG(for whatever reason), and the client trust their doctor, who are we to say they shouldn't use it? I'm glad Geneax's doctor thought that HCG would help her thyroid and chose to put her on it, and she was able to lose weight as an added benefit. You don't lose weight on HCG if you don't reduce calories, otherwise all people on HCG therapy (pregnancy, weight lifters, fertility, some people are even exploring how it could help AIDS patients) would be skinny.

whatever, this discussion is going nowhere, since we can't answer a bunch of specific detailed biochemical questions, I don't see anything so far that furthers it. No one else on hcg with hypo has come forward, and I wouldn't blame them considering that it's implicit that all they had to do was eat right and exercise and their problem would be solved, otherwise they have been doing it all wrong.

unsub
IBKKF 898
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #29
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

PAM everytime we answer something you come up with other things to ask some VERY off the wall!! NO ONE said anything was free and that certainly isn't relevant!

honestly no one asked or implied that this is a cure for your thyroid disease!!
the OP just asked if anyone had done this while being treated for Hypothyroidism!!
Quote:
Does anybody know if the hCG Diet is safe for people with hypothyroidism?
YES my Husband has with very good results!! whatever you are reading into it beyond that is on you!

NO one said to stop taking your thyroid medicine as you implied in this passage ..i realize you may not have meant it that way but you seem to be trying to overwhelm the rest of us with WORDS!

Quote:
I feel badly for those with Hashimoto's (two out of every TEN WOMEN) who cannot get optimized treatment, but if this HCG treatment protocol is NOT free, and the cost of it is comparable to treatment by a doctor well versed in natural thyroid hormone, than I'd go for the thyroid treatment FIRST and leave HCG as a last resort.
GeneaX1's THYROID SPECIALIST put her on the HCG!! did you read any of her posts?? we are trying to talk you into doing this at all, but the OP asked a legitimate question that deserved an answer from someone with experience with this

please reread GeneaX1's post
Quote:
GeneaX1 FYI, I have Hashimoto's and it was my thyroid doctor who put me on the hcg protocol. I've done really well on it and if anything my thyroid levels have improved. I actually had a thyroidectomy a few years ago and am taking both t3/t4. It hasn't been an issue.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So, I've just finished about four hours of looking into this and can't find anything stating that it cures autoimmune hypothyroidism
PAM no one claimed that where did you even come up with that?? no one claimed it would cure autoimmune hypothyroidism Simeon's Protocol is for obesity and at least i know the homeopathic is ok from my DHs experience and his doctor's happiness with his results and not having to up his meds

i wish you peace