Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
ixirockx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ixirockx
Almost Fat Free Sugar Free Ice Cream?

So I'm new here and I wanted to make a great fat free sugar free ice cream. I've been reading a lot about sugar alcohols and the chemistry of ice cream. So anyways, I made this recipe for ice cream (Alton brown's chocolate ice cream), but I used skim milk instead of cream and half and half (I also halved the recipe) just to see how it would turn out

1/4 c cocoa powder
2 c skim milk
4 egg yolks (yes I know they add fat)
4.5 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp guar gum (Not in the recipe originally)

Microwave the milk on high with the cocoa powder, until it comes to a boil and the cocoa dissolves. Set aside to cool.
Whisk egg yolks until they lighten in color and slowly beat in sugar.
Temper egg yolks with hot milk mixture, drizzling in a little at a time, whisking continuously.
Cook mixture over a double boiler until the temperature of the mixture reaches 170 degrees.
Take off heat, whisk in guar gum, strain the mixture, and add vanilla extract.
Chill for 4 to 8 hours and then transfer to an ice cream machine.

The results...well were very very tasty, yet a bit gummy I think due to adding too much guar gum. It stayed very scoopable in the freezer and did not form ice crystals. The major problem was there was hardly any overrun. It made the ice cream very dense and I didn't like it at all. I thought the guar gum was supposed whip lots of air into it. But anyways I got my erythritol and polyd in the mail so I tried the recipe with those, using:

1/4 c cocoa powder
2 c skim milk
3 egg yolks
3 T erythritol
3 T splenda
3 T PolyD
1/16 tsp stevia (= to 1/8 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp guar gum

I followed the same procedure. The results were, once again, an ice cream with very little air, only okay scoopablility this time, and a fair amount of ice crystals. I would love for any suggestions. I think the problem is just the lack of air. Thanks again!
ixirockx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
pepperette
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I think the problem is the skim milk. There used to be a product called iced milk on the markets, and it was crystalline in nature also. You need the cream for the texture. Also the fat content helps.[/COLOR]

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
ITA with Pepperette - it's the fat that gives it the "whipability" and the good mouth feel you are looking for!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
ixirockx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ixirockx
Hmmm, well yeah but the one I made with real sugar had a superb texture, almost the same as ice cream with all the fat. Do you think whipping a couple of egg whites and folding them into the custard would help?
ixirockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
No, because again, you're eliminating the fat in the yolk, which is what will provide a nice mouthfeel. What you really want to do is emulsify the fats and suspend them throughout your liquid, and by eliminating fats, you're not getting that.

What plan are you following? Low carb is NOT a no-fat plan!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 07-12-2008 at 09:02 AM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
feather319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: feather319
WOE: Lower Carb Paleo
Start Date: 2002
Here is my suggestion. Make or buy fat free or low fat yocheese. I make mine with 1% milk. The fat in the milk helps hold it together. Look up how to make homemade yogurt. Then add cocoa powder or the capella vanilla ice cream flavorings or davinci vanilla SF syrup - any combination to the yocheese and freeze. Before it is frozen you can eat it and it is good.

Or make a milk shake with 1 T cream, 1 T dry nonfat milk, Davinci SF syrup, ice, stevia, xantham gum.
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Ixirockx:

We've been having a lively and educational exchange about home-made ice creams here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...te-recipe.html

You're welcome to join us.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
theislandgirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
In "real" ice cream, the fat and sugar molecules work together, one encapsulating the other and helping to trap air. We can to some extent replace the sugar part with polyols and vegetable gums, as you have demonstrated, but we haven't yet found a way to completely replace the fat's role.

Besides, if it's fat free and sugar free, what's left? It's water and/or protein. You'll have to work with those, so the only suggestion I see here that holds some kind of potential is the strained yogurt idea, it's got a higher proportion of protein. I use half whipping cream and half highly strained yogurt in my recipes, and it's do-able.

Too much water in the skim; water makes ice crystals.