Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
PalmTreeGal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Artificial sweeteners and chocolate

I know Splenda isn't the greatest sweetener for chocolate flavored goodies of any type, as it gets bitter. Does anyone (Kevin?) know how saccharin or aspartame stands up? I am thinking for things like hot cocoa or homemade choc shakes. I never like those two sweeteners because of the aftertaste, but I'd try again if I thought it would work. I know aspartame is linked to some health concerns and I wouldn't use it a lot, but am curious about how it might come out.

I understand SAs are the best for chocolate, but I'm trying to stay out of that jungle until Pre-Maintenance at least! I really should give Stevia a try as well, but I keep hearing about bad aftertaste with that too.
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I use the SweetLeaf liquid concentrated flavored stevia - it comes in an eyedropper bottle in lots of flavors. I like the Dark Chocolate or the Cinnamon ones for my hot cocoa.

I also have erythritol and xylitol in serving sized packets and those work great in combination with the Stevia.

Erythritol and xylitol are "natural" sugar alcohols and I have the least problems with them as far as any intestinal distress, shall we say?!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
jigglenomore
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Charski, do you notice any of the bitterness or off-taste in the SweetLeaf liquid stevia? I have tried several brands and am always disappointed by the aftertaste it leaves in my mouth! Maybe it's just my wierd taste-buds!

Just wondering, 'cause I'd love to give the flavored liquids a try!

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Hey Elaine! Well, I seldom use them by themselves - BUT I have used the cinnamon by itself to sweeten Greek yogurt and found it quite delicious. I think the trick with Stevia is to start with WAY less than you think you need - you can always add more. It takes maybe 5 drops to sweeten a cup of yogurt to my liking, and I'm not a big yogurt fan!

In my hot chocolate, I use the stevia WITH erythritol and usually one other sweetener, depends on what is on the counter at the time - might be a packet of Splenda, or a few drops of liquid Splenda, or SweetOne - I really prefer to combine sweeteners to get the syngergistic effect and to lessen any aftertaste from any one sweetener.

Give it a try, heck you might like it!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
jacksmixedtape
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
NuNaturals 0 carb NuStevia is 100x better than Sweetleaf. I still used my flavored Sweetleaf (can't give up the English Toffee in my coffee and yogurt!), but it really does have some bitterness compared with the NuStevia.

Erythritol should be fine for induction since it's so low in carbs? It doesn't take much E to add a nice "rounded" sweetness to chocolate, coconut bark, etc. A little powdered Z-Sweet and NuStevia together sweeten anything just fine!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
OceanDreaming
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
I have used a mix of erythritol and splenda (I use mostly liquid) with good results. It seems the synergistic effect takes away the bitterness. I have read that others use a mix of erythritol/splenda and ace k and like that very much. I've never tried the ace k, though. Hope this helps!
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
PalmTreeGal
Senior LCF Member

I've been using a mix of Splenda and saccharin in my chocolate egg creams and not noticing any off taste at all. However, you guys have converted me and I have been reading that erythritol is incredibly low in calories and carbs (the GI thing isn't a huge issue for me as I get only slightly gassy, no excruciating pain or anything). So I ordered the powdered E from Netrition and look forward to trying it out!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
PalmTreeGal
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I am going to give stevia a try as well. One sweetener at a time!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
pepperette
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
NuNaturals 0 carb NuStevia is 100x better than Sweetleaf. I still used my flavored Sweetleaf (can't give up the English Toffee in my coffee and yogurt!), but it really does have some bitterness compared with the NuStevia.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Do you use the powder or liquid form? And can you use the powder like sugar/sweetener (1:1)?[/COLOR]

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Zer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Mixing/Balancing alternative sweeteners with cocoa/chocolate

I was told that stevia does not mix well with cocoa/chocolate, that it gets bitter. Maybe so. I use raw cacao in a mix with a WPP that is sweetened with stevia. Works for me. The bitterness of the raw cacao cuts the sweetness of the vanilla WPP. Taste is so individual that you may find a mix that works for you. Try using a bit of one with a bit of another. Often that works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
I know Splenda isn't the greatest sweetener for chocolate flavored goodies of any type, as it gets bitter. Does anyone (Kevin?) know how saccharin or aspartame stands up? I am thinking for things like hot cocoa or homemade choc shakes. I never like those two sweeteners because of the aftertaste, but I'd try again if I thought it would work. I know aspartame is linked to some health concerns and I wouldn't use it a lot, but am curious about how it might come out.

I understand SAs are the best for chocolate, but I'm trying to stay out of that jungle until Pre-Maintenance at least! I really should give Stevia a try as well, but I keep hearing about bad aftertaste with that too.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
oliveoyl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I used to mix saccharine and splenda with chocolate and it tasted fine, but then I read that saccharine and aspartame both have raised insulin levels in tests on volunteers even though they don't contain carbohydrates -- just the sweet taste tells the brain to produce insulin. (Splenda doesn't do this). Now I mix splenda and erythritol, usually 3 parts splenda to one part erythritol. You could probably even use less erythritol -- it doesn't take much at all. Sometimes I'll add a little Ace-K, but I'm not convinced it does anything to improve the flavor.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
jacksmixedtape
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Do you use the powder or liquid form? And can you use the powder like sugar/sweetener (1:1)?[/COLOR]
I use the powder form. It's much sweeter than sugar. Just keep adding it until it's sweet enough for your liking.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
I read that saccharine and aspartame both have raised insulin levels in tests on volunteers even though they don't contain carbohydrates -- just the sweet taste tells the brain to produce insulin. (Splenda doesn't do this).

Could you tell us more about this? I, too, had read that sweeteners, even non-sugar ones, could trigger insulin production, but I hadn't read that Splenda was an exception to this. What about Stevia? My understanding (fuzzy as it is!) is that whether a "natural" or "real" sugar or not, the taste of sweet in the mouth -- BEFORE the sweetener ever reaches stomach or bloodstream or intestine -- can trigger the response. Why would there be exceptions to this trigger, I wonder?

Inquiring minds. . . .

-Retroworx
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #14
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't know the chemistry, but I read recently in a mainstream ( not low carb friendly) health newsletter that both aspartame and saccharin raise insulin levels, but not erythritol or sucralose.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote