Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bev-Ann
Stats: Ht 5' 2.5" Size 10 / 8 / 2
WOE: High Protein, LC
Start Date: Sep. 2008
Report on Yacon Syrup

My yacon syrup arrived today and here are my observations.
It's a very dark amber colour with a consistency slightly thicker than maple syrup. I did a side by side taste test and it's very close to blackstrap molasses but a hint more fruity. The taste reminds me of a concentrated dark raisin syrup that my grandmother used to use when we were kids.
To replace the flavour of molasses, it will definitely work. The consistency is much thinner, though, so I'm not sure how it would perform in something like molasses cookies. I'll have to work on that.
I ordered it because I wanted to use it instead of molasses when a recipe calls for brown sugar. The normal sub is to use refined sugar plus 1 tbsp of molasses per cup. But even blackstrap adds way too many carbs.
So for my purposes, it's a big thumbs up!

I wanted to post a pic of some in a glass bowl to show what it looks like but couldn't figure out how.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-25-2006 at 06:37 PM..
Bev-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Oh man, Bev, thanks! I may have to order me up some of this stuff. Sounds like it would sub just right for molasses from a taste perspective anyway!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Close in taste to blackstrap molasses? Wow... that does sound promising.

A teaspoon of blackstrap (good enough for 1 C. brown sugar sub) is about 4 net carbs. Spread over an entire recipe, it's not the end of the world, imo

Still, if this can sub successfully for blackstrap at lower the carb impact. It sounds good.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Here's another very interesting thing I discovered. During my taste and consistency tests, I probably ate a scant teaspoon of it. I'd just gotten home from work and was thinking about what I should make for dinner. Within 10 minutes of eating the yacon syrup, though, I completely forgot about food. I finally noticed the time more than an hour later and ate a small meal just because I had to. I eat 5 times a day in the belief that it keeps my metabolism up and I never experience hunger pangs, but food is always in the back of my mind just because I like to plan. The realization that I wasn't thinking about food at all was a bit of a shock!
I think this may have good potential as a craving-killer.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Close in taste to blackstrap molasses? Wow... that does sound promising.

A teaspoon of blackstrap (good enough for 1 C. brown sugar sub) is about 4 net carbs. Spread over an entire recipe, it's not the end of the world, imo

Still, if this can sub successfully for blackstrap at lower the carb impact. It sounds good.
It is amazingly close in taste.
I've tried using just a tsp of blackstrap for a brown sugar sub, but it never did it for me. The yacon syrup nutrition facts say that it's 7g carbs but <1g sugar per tbsp because it's almost all inulin. It's too bad the powers that be haven't recognized inulin as a fibre yet.
And for those of us who can handle it, inulin has health benefits that molasses doesn't. I might just add a tbsp of yacon to my morning smoothie.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-25-2006 at 07:51 PM..
Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
Bev, are you still noticing that it works to dull your appetite? Interesting, could be a great tool for us overeaters.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Bev, are you still noticing that it works to dull your appetite? Interesting, could be a great tool for us overeaters.
The effect lasted for several hours. I really didn't want to eat my dinner at all and had to force it down. It wasn't a sensation of being full, it was that the thought of food was totally unappealing.
I did a google search for "yacon" and "appetite" and found several sites stating it is an appetite suppressant. They talk about the dried root (and some were selling it in capsule form) but the syrup certainly did that for me and I ate maybe half a teaspoon. The effect was very unexpected. The only other time I've experienced that kind of total appetite suppression was when I combined Prozac and 5-HTP. I don't recommend doing that, though, since there were other very nasty side-effects.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
theislandgirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Hmmmmm, sounds almost like a Shangri-La Diet effect... :blush:

I've been calling around all the local HFSs, and at least two were interested enough in this product to seriously look into it and call me back when they get it in stock. Cool!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #9
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Hmmm... an appetite suppressant... hmmmmm.... I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not. I know that everything we eat effects our biochemistry in one way or another, but that seems... a little extreme.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 AM   #10
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Hmmm... an appetite suppressant... hmmmmm.... I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not. I know that everything we eat effects our biochemistry in one way or another, but that seems... a little extreme.
There have been studies, mainly in animals but one in humans, that show it lowers blood sugar without inducing hypglycemia. They sugest it may be beneficial for diabetics.
Another forum poster sent me a private message saying she's interested in it to see if it might help with her overeating. If it works for her (and others) I think that's a good thing.
I get almost unbearable cravings for chocolate. I'm going to try using it to make "molasses" candy and see if having a piece will help curb them.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
SLynnB
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Just wondering how your experiments with the yacon syrup are going. And, if you are still getting the "not interested in eating" side effect. Sure could have used that today. Most days I do fine but every once in a while, I can eat all day long and still be hungry. Would be nice to have something nutritious that would quell that feeling.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Just wondering how your experiments with the yacon syrup are going. And, if you are still getting the "not interested in eating" side effect. Sure could have used that today. Most days I do fine but every once in a while, I can eat all day long and still be hungry. Would be nice to have something nutritious that would quell that feeling.

Sheryl
Yes, I'm still getting an appetite suppressant effect from it.
I made "molasses" candy using the syrup and isomalt but I only cooked it to 280F. It tuned out ok but it's a little soft (like a hard taffy; pieces stick to each other like cement!) so next time I'll cook it to at least 300F to get a hard candy.

Yacon Syrup Candy
1/2 cup isomalt
1 cup yacon syrup
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

Butter a cookie sheet; set aside. (Note: warming the cookie sheet in the oven will help to spread the candy thinner.)
In a heavy saucepan combine isomalt, syrup, butter and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until isomalt dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 300F (150C). Remove pan from heat.
Quickly stir in vanilla and baking soda, mixing well. Immediately pour onto prepared cookie sheet, spreading candy to an even thickness. Use kitchen scissors to cut candy into pieces when cool.
I cut it into 96 pieces so each piece would have 1/2 tsp of syrup.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I eat 5 times a day so rarely ever experience hunger pangs, but I've been having unbearable cravings for chocolate for about a year now. Sometimes they happen shortly after I've eaten a meal and I'm full. When a craving comes on, I have just one piece of the candy and within about 10 minutes the craving subsides. I've been searching to find something that will do that since the cravings started. Nothing else I've tried, except actually gorging on chocolate, ever worked.
The effect from a piece of the candy isn't as pronounced as when I was doing the taste test...the thought of food doesn't turn me off, the craving just goes away. I can still eat a meal if it's time but I can concentrate on healthy choices. The reaction I had after the taste test (had about 1 tsp of syrup) was too extreme for me; this is much more subtle but just as effective. It's possible that the other ingredients in the candy are softening the effect, so if you need the full-blown-forget-about-food thing, taking the syrup directly might be what you need.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-31-2006 at 05:45 AM..
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
Yacon Syrup Candy
Continue cooking, without stirring, to 300F
In the post above, I cooked the candy to 280F because that's what the original recipe said to do. I've never had molasses candy, but maybe it's supposed to be taffy-like?
300F in the recipe posted is a guess. It might have to be a little higher to get to hard-crack. I tried to edit the post but the time limit had expired.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-31-2006 at 06:16 AM..
Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 AM   #14
Zuleikaa
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
In the post above, I cooked the candy to 280F because that's what the original recipe said to do. I've never had molasses candy, but maybe it's supposed to be taffy-like?
300F in the recipe posted is a guess. It might have to be a little higher to get to hard-crack. I tried to edit the post but the time limit had expired.
Molasses candy is taffy like.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Molasses candy is taffy like.
Ok, thanks!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magnamater
I'm fascinated by the idea of this candy.

Gotta get me some of this. . .if it is an appetite suppressant. . .however you spell it!

Anyway. . .report on how much of the candy you need. . .to get the effect.

Gonna order some stuff!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #17
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I'm fascinated by the idea of this candy.

Gotta get me some of this. . .if it is an appetite suppressant. . .however you spell it!

Anyway. . .report on how much of the candy you need. . .to get the effect.
The candies are very small but I only need 1, which has about 1/2 tsp of syrup, to kill my cravings. When I ate about 1 tsp of the syrup straight from the bottle, I got the extreme food-turns-me-off effect. I didn't like the extreme effect at all and don't get it from 2 of the candies, which would have about 1 tsp of syrup also, so I suspect that the combination with the other ingredients softens the effect of the syrup. But being able to eat one very small candy to kill my chocolate cravings is a miracle for me!

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-31-2006 at 09:47 AM..
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #18
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Appetite Suppressant Effect

I feel I should say that this will probably be a YMMV type of thing. Just because it has this effect for me, doesn't mean it will for you.
I'd hate to see people rushing to buy some because they think it's going to be a magic bullet. I bought the syrup as a LC replacement for molasses. The appetite suppressant effect is something I wasn't aware of before I tried it.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magnamater
Bev-Ann, is your Yacon Syrup Candy still working for you???

I have ordered mine, waiting impatiently to get the stuff and make the candy.

Tell me, how did you wrap or store your candy, and where are you keeping it? In the fridge, or at room temp? Do you think you could powder some E. in the blender and shake it on the candy so it won't stick to everything? Or was that not a problem???

Anyway, TIA! and thanks for your good work on this. . .I read about the appetite suppressing thing last night, or I think it was this stuff. . .in Dr. Oz's new book, You, the Diet!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #20
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
I ordered some as well, am waiting to see if it works to suppress my appetite, will be interesting to see.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #21
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Bev-Ann, is your Yacon Syrup Candy still working for you???

I have ordered mine, waiting impatiently to get the stuff and make the candy.

Tell me, how did you wrap or store your candy, and where are you keeping it? In the fridge, or at room temp? Do you think you could powder some E. in the blender and shake it on the candy so it won't stick to everything? Or was that not a problem???

Anyway, TIA! and thanks for your good work on this. . .I read about the appetite suppressing thing last night, or I think it was this stuff. . .in Dr. Oz's new book, You, the Diet!
I only cooked the batch I made to 280F so it's very taffy-like and sticks together like cement. If you cook it to a hard-crack stage, though, it shouldn't stick together but because I haven't tried that yet I can't be 100% sure.
I didn't wrap the individual pieces and I'm storing it in a parchment-lined plastic container at room temp. I did originally cut the candy into 96 pieces but it melted back into a single sheet. The cut lines are still visible, though, so I use a pair of kitchen shears to cut a piece off when I want one.
Shaking some powdered erythritol on it is a good suggestion. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that it might add a mint-like flavour to the outside of the candy due to it's cooling effect. If you do try that, please post how it works out and if it changes the flavour at all.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 11-04-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 11-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #22
Bev-Ann
Senior LCF Member

Picture of Yacon Syrup

Here's a pic I took. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yacon2.jpg (64.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 11-05-2006 at 06:18 AM..
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Bev-Ann, you should put in a request to TOM so it can be bought here at Netrition.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #24
christyjo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Yacon syrup

Dragging back an old thread as I just ordered some more syrup. This stuff works very well in my molasses cookies, and DH has no problems with his BS (blood sugar..., he has lots of other kinds too . Carbs are pretty low, and it does impart the flavor similar to that of molasses, but I do add a bit of the real thing for that oomph. 1Tbs. is 7 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, and less than one gram of sugar. I have made the following recipe many times, and with fall coming sometime, I will be making them soon, nothing like the scent of cinnamon and cloves..

Molasses Cookies
3/4 C. shortening
1 C. sugar equivalent (I used 1/2 tsp. Splenda Quick pack, and 1/2 cup erythritol granular)
3 Tbsp. yacon syrup
1 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses
1 egg
2 tsp. soda
2 Cups Kevin's cookie flour mix (see below, double the recipe to make two cups)
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
granular sweetener for rolling cookies in (I used E.)

Mix shortening and sweeteners til fluffy, add molasses and yacon, and egg. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients together, whisking to mix well. Add dry to wet (or wet to dry, your call...) and mix well. Chill to make dough a bit easier to work with. Roll balls of dough, and toss or dip into the granular sweetener and place onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes at 375. These browned in a hurry, so your oven time may vary.

Makes 3 dozen, app. 1.3 grams of carbs each.

Notes:
These were good warm, but they were terrific when completely cooled. I stored them in a paper bag, and they remained crunchy.
I am sure just about any flour blend would work, use something that measures cup for cup
Spray your tablespoon with Pam so the sticky stuff slides out completely

KevinPA's older version Cake and Cookie flour mix (I will try with his newest version soon)
1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #25
Brendajm
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
sounds yummy,, where did you get the syrup?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
christyjo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Originally I got some from natural zing, but it had gone up considerably in price, so this last time I got it from smart bomb, bottles were larger. A little goes a long way.

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #27
pepperette
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperette
Got this a couple years back...

Pseudo brown sugar (1/2 cup)
by KevinPa @ LCFs

1/2 cup granular erythritol
1/4 tsp splenda quick pack
1/2 tsp yacon syrup
1/2 tsp not/Sugar

Mix dry ingredients well.
Mix syrup into dry as best as you can.
Put inside a zip lock bag and massage in the bag until texture and color is uniform.

Texture will be moist like regular brown sugar and the color of light brown sugar.
can be doubled or whatever.

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
my favorite LC recipe! Kevin's brown sugar! Use it in absolutely everything!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #29
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
my favorite LC recipe! Kevin's brown sugar! Use it in absolutely everything!
What are you using for the Splenda Quick Pack?

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I use only erythritol and yacon--I have found that does the trick--I make up a huge bag at a time--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote