Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Emily-D
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Has anyone used Erythritol in cooking?

I see that netrition sells Erythritol. Does it measure like sugar? Do you like it?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
binki
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
I use it all the time. For a cup of sugar I usually substitute 1/4 cup of Erythritol and 1/2 cup of Splenda (or the liquid stuff)--when you combine two different sweeteners you can use less overall and I like that.

You might have problems dissolving the Erythritol; mix it up well with the liquid ingredients, ideally warm or hot liquids, and you'll be fine.
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
MaryJean
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryJean
Stats: 176/136/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart date: May 2004
I haven't used E just plain. I have used it with Splenda and Xylitol to make a just right sweet taste in my cheesecake. I'm still working on the perfect ratio of the three... So far I have enjoyed eating my experiements
Old 09-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Emily-D
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the information!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
RubyJ
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
yes, just finished eating a great chocolate cheesecake I made with Erythritol and Splenda. Adding Er prevents the bitterness that just Splenda and chocolate can produce.
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Erythritol and splenda (in it's non-bulked form) are the Rolls Royces of the artificial sweetening world.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
barefootgrrl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barefootgrrl
Scott,

What ratios of erythritol and splenda do you find work best?

Also, have you found a solution to the graininess of erythritol?

I tried putting the granulated erythritol into my food processor and I whirled it into a powder, but the graininess was still there in some recipes.

Your thoughts?

Thanks! your friend from the other board, LOL
barefootgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #8
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Barefootgrrl, although I'm a huge fan of erythritol, I haven't worked with it enough to establish set ratios. I use the term 'ratios' because I think it will vary depending on the application. With something that requires the textural effects of sugar, I would go heavier on the erythritol. With something that just needs sweetness, I'd go heavier on the splenda.

As far as erythritol not dissolving, I have no solution other than Binki's recommendation above. It does have a tendency to recrystallize, though, which is what you may be encountering. May I ask you which recipes remained grainy after using the powdered erythritol? Also, does the food processor pulverize it completely?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
GAllison
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GAllison
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2000
I think E is the best.

Posted by Maggie on Low Carb Eating

Well, I don't know about any other sugar alcohols, but erythritol has browned for me. In the microwave, in a pyrex baking dish, with just enough water to dissolve. Takes a bit longer than sugar. When it hardens on cooling, it is cloudy, not clear like caramelized sugar. However, after baking my flan in the dish, it returns to a liquid state, just as sugar does for me in this recipe.

LC Fudge
Posted on Low Carb Eating by Maggie and Char
(13.5 carbs for the whole batch)

1/2 cup erythritol-0
3/4 tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/3 cup cocoa-6
1 T. regular butter (didn't have unsalted!)-0
1 T. DaVinci chocolate syrup-0
Few drops real vanilla extract-1
┬Ż cup broken pecans-2.5

Cooked all except the butter, DV, and vanilla in the microwave (the ONLY way I cook candy!) - 2 minutes, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 45 seconds - soft ball! (Your MW mileage may vary - mine is older and 700 watts.)

Added the butter, DV and vanilla, and let sit as long as I could stand it. I kept moving the bowl around on the counter to a cool spot every few minutes. (Patience, I ain't got none of!) When it was cool enough to touch the bottom (and I used an 8 quart Pyrex batter bowl, BTW) I beat in the butter and stuff. When it started to stiffen up just a bit, I stirred in the nuts, then poured it into a buttered 3 cup disposable ZipLoc plastic container. And INTO the fridge she went!

Well, DH and I just tried it. Now, he is NOT a big chocolate fan - but he thought this was great! It set up perfectly. Not too hard, not too soft. Not grainy. It DOES still have a very mild "cooling" effect, DH didn't remark on it, maybe it's just because I KNOW the erythritol does that!
GAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #10
barefootgrrl
Junior LCF Member

The graininess was an issue with making homemade chocolate bars and dessert sauces cooked on the stovetop - not so much with baked items.

barefoot
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #11
barefootgrrl
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the recipe GAllison
Old 09-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
GAllison
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GAllison
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2000
Your welcome.
GAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Emily-D
Senior LCF Member

Can someone point me to the recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake?
Old 09-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
RubyJ
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emdo
Can someone point me to the recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake?
I started out with the Double Chocolate Cheesecake recipe from the recipe room, but it was bitter (that was before I knew about erythritol). Then I tweaked the recipe and came up with this:

Crust:
3/4 cup ground almonds (or almond flour or ground pecans)
4 teasp. granular Splenda
2 teasp. erythritol
1 1/2 tablesp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablesp. unsalted butter

In small bowl melt butter in microwave. Add ground nuts, Splenda, erythritol, and cocoa. Mix.
Spray a pie pan with cooking oil spray and press nut mixture in bottom and a little up sides. (use plastic wrap or wax paper to press) Bake at 300 degrees for 9 minutes (do not overbake!) Cool for 10 min.

Filling:
16 oz. cream cheese (2 pkgs) - room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream (optional, makes it less dense) - room temp
1/3 cup granular Splenda OR 8 drops liquid Splenda
1/3 cup erythritol
2 teasp. vanilla
2 teasp. vanilla DaVinci syrup
2 eggs - room temperature
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

With wisk or elec. mixer (on LOW) stir cream cheese gently until smooth, add sour cream, Splenda, erythritol, vanilla, and DaVinci's. Stir gently till smooth. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir gently till smooth, add cocoa powder, stir gently till smooth. (you might guess the theme here is GENTLY, if you whip a lot of air into your cheesecake, you will have problems)
Pour batter into pie crust. Bake at 300 degrees for about 35 minutes. (I put a pan with water in it on the rack under the rack holding the cheesecake).
Cheesecake is done when the top is dull (not shiny) and it still wiggles a little. Cool with oven door ajar for 10-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate overnight for best results.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #15
Emily-D
Senior LCF Member

That sounds wonderful!!

Can I freeze part of it so I don't go overboard?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #16
RubyJ
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried freezing it, between me, my son, and my grandkids, it doesn't last long.
Most cheesecakes freeze well, so this one probably would be OK.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #17
RubyJ
Senior LCF Member

Bumping
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
morav
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: morav
my failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgrrl View Post
Scott,

What ratios of erythritol and splenda do you find work best?

Also, have you found a solution to the graininess of erythritol?

I tried putting the granulated erythritol into my food processor and I whirled it into a powder, but the graininess was still there in some recipes.

Your thoughts?

Thanks! your friend from the other board, LOL
Ever since being pronounced diabetic by my Dr. I have been trying to figure out how to make chocolate bars with erythritol, chocolate being my particular weakness. I hit upon the idea of trying to melt the erythritol in a couple of Tbs. of butter and then adding Baker's chocolate chunks. The erythritol melted nicely and I added the chocolate. Bang! almost immediately I could feel the graininess return with a vengeance. No amount of heating and stirring would remelt it. So now I have another batch of nasty grainy chocolate. I don't care. At this point I would lick the floor if I thought someone had dropped chocolate there. How I miss my dark Dove chocolates...
morav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
morav, you can certainly make sugar free chocolate employing erythritol without the grainieness, but I doubt you can do it using E as the only sugar sub. I make chocolate ganache all the time using baking choc, cream, splenda, ace-K (Sweet One), erythritol and polydextrose. (Can't tell you the amounts because I've never had enough sense to nail down a recipe.) At one time I used just E and splenda, and at that time I found that at least 2 teaspoons E per ounce of unsweetened baking choc was neccesary to keep chocolate from being bitter; at that rate, I don't recall the E ever re-crystallizing. I think you can find recipes for both choc ganache and fudge (and maybe other choc candy) in the sticky for Kevinpa's recipes.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #20
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by morav View Post
Ever since being pronounced diabetic by my Dr. I have been trying to figure out how to make chocolate bars with erythritol, chocolate being my particular weakness. I hit upon the idea of trying to melt the erythritol in a couple of Tbs. of butter and then adding Baker's chocolate chunks. The erythritol melted nicely and I added the chocolate. Bang! almost immediately I could feel the graininess return with a vengeance. No amount of heating and stirring would remelt it. So now I have another batch of nasty grainy chocolate. I don't care. At this point I would lick the floor if I thought someone had dropped chocolate there. How I miss my dark Dove chocolates...
The powdered erythritol from netrition dissolves much better and won't recrystallize on you.

Also, using a combo of 2 or 3 sweeteners (like Ace-K, splenda & erythritol) you can actually use less to get the same sweetening power without a nasty aftertaste. You can often sub 1/2 c. of the combo sweeteners for 1 cup of sugar.(There's a whole thread on this, started by Scott 123 I think.)

Kevin in PA has an excellent chocolate truffle on his recipe thread.
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote