Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Londongirl
Has anyone actually managed to get rid of candida?

Would love to hear some success stories to keep me motivated on my anti-candida woe and woe is the word...man it's hard.

Also - does anyone have experience of fungal rashes, particularly tinea versicolor? I'm going slightly mad

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
caitidjaynathansmom
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 296/296/150
WOE: Curves Diet plan
Start Date: April 2004
Hi I just sent you a private message regarding this question.

I hope that was ok. I just had a question about this. Thanks a bunch

May 15- 288
June 15- 278
July 15- 268
August 15- 258
September 15- 248
October 15- 238

Geez, I gotta job to do!! I want to be a loser!!
caitidjaynathansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
tweetynole2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tweetynole2
Stats: 280/225/170; 5'7"; 26/18/14
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 9, 2004
Yes, I'm doing pretty well.....

I had been having a terrible time with candidiasis. I'm not sure if I'm totally cured, but I am losing well now and my stomach problems are getting much better. I am still having some symptoms.

What, if I may ask, are you using to get rid of it? Are you just eliminating the mushrooms, cheese, etc? Or are you taking something? I am taking Yeast Formula and it seems to be working pretty well.

Good luck and pm me if you have any questions.....

Susan
tweetynole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Hi Susan,

Sounds horrid but it's good to find someone to relate to with this problem! I am taking caprylic acid and threelac (see http://www.candidafree.net )along with other vitamins prescribed by a nutritionist to help restore my immune system as that is the underlying problem with candida. The thing that gets me down most is the fungal skin rash I have over my breasts and belly though that has improved - also since being very strict with my woe (no fruit, nuts, 'fake' sugar, cheese or milk alcohol or fermented products - just lots of salad and lo-carb veggies and protein ( a 'fist' sized portion at at least 2 meals per day) and 2-3 litres of water per day) the sugar cravings have almost disappeared.

I'm finding the 100 day cheat free challenge very motivational - it's for anyone who needs to be strict on any woe - come and join us in the challenges lobby.

Thanks for getting in touch. What are your main symptoms?

Ana x

Last edited by Londongirl; 04-08-2004 at 08:59 AM..
Londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kellyjas
terrible yeast problem

I have been having yeast infections this month one right after the other. Does anyone know if Trelac really works or not. I need all the advice you got, I can't take this anymore it is taking control of my life.
Thanks eliagg@adelphia.net
kellyjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 140
WOE: Plant Based Vegan
Start Date: Jan 2001
What about plain yogurt? Can you have that?

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

yogurt

Mary let me say first you look wonderful. I looked into the yogurt and the plain yogurt has alot of sugar.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Mandy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mandy
WOE: Atkins maintenance and intermittent fasting
Start Date: April 1999
I have but it took me 1 1/2 years to get rid of it completely. I did it by following the program in "Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution". I take all of the most important supplements except undecenylic acid and ergotransferrin. I also take liquid grapefruitseed extract. I started with high doses for the first 6 months, cut it in half for the next 6 months then cut it in half again. I've had all yeast symptoms throughout my life that have come and gone. The most recent was an intense scalp itch and fungus. I didn't realize it but yeast was also a cause of my arthritic knees. After being on the candida program for over one year I could bend down with no pain in my knees. Makes it easier to exercise too.
165/115
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Hi guys,

Some great advice here - I'm still unsure what the best course to take is with Candida - I'm following what my nutritionist prescribed and which I've already outlined. It can take ages to go I know and it is with me tho I've only been really strict for 2 weeks or so and already my skin is improved. The die-off symptoms are pretty bad and I think that is the caprylic acid - apparently olive leaf extract has less die-off and I'll switch back next week. I'm taking Threelac alongside that so I'm not sure which is more effective - time will tell but I think threelac does work with less die-off although sticking to the strict diet is obligatory to make head way. Natural yoghurt is ok in small doses as the probiotics eat most of the sugar and it's a good 'treat' - I mix up a drink of unsweetened soya milk, nat yog and vanilla sugarfree protein powder and it's like a creamy shake with no consequences!

I'm certain we'll all get clear it's just trial and error I guess - I do hear great reports of threelac all the time so it's worth a go. Good luck to us all!

Ana x
Old 04-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
believe_27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: believe_27
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2003
oil of oregano (tincture or capsules) and yogurt, unless you are really watching your carbs. but definitely the oil of oregano helps, as gross as it tastes/smells...
believe_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 AM   #11
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

die off?

What is that die off more skin problems? I'm so tired of this problem. Oil or oregano how do you take that?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #12
woodswoman
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: woodswoman
Stats: 157/120/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/21/03
I don't know if any of you have tried coconut oil, but it's supposed to be a tremendous deyeaster. Helps with weight loss and a bunch of other things too. 3 1/2 Tbsp. a day is the recommended amount for maximum benefit. Might be good for anyone who can't eat yogurt.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #13
believe_27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: believe_27
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2003
you can get oil of oregano in droplet or capsule form. GNC has the droplets, you place 2 under your tongue or in your water 2-3 times a day. you have gotten some other great suggestions here that you might want to look into. hope you get rid of your candida and feel better
believe_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 AM   #14
cdnjan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cdnjan
Stats: 199/153/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/24/03
Hi LondonGirl,
I have done a search on Candida and Yogurt and found tons of stuff check out the link and read some of the stories. They are most helpful.
Re: The Yogurt.... from what I understand the live cultures in the yogurt eat the sugar so there really is no sugar left.
Good Luck
Jan

Candida and Yogurt Stories

Jan

[color=blue]
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!
Live the life you've imagined.
As you simplify your life,
The laws of the universe will be simpler.
[/color]
cdnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #15
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

I just read that splenda is not good

does anyone know if splenda is a problem when you have yeast
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 AM   #16
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. Caprylic acid IS coconut oil - or the anti-fungal ingredient of it in isolation I beleive. Sounds nice to eat tho - may try some!

Kellyas - Die-off can be flu-like symptoms or general worsening of symptoms of candia as the yeast dies in your body due to the anti-fungals you take and yes - Splenda does feed the yeast - it's made from sugar alcohols and also it's been proven to suppress the immune system which is the underlying cause of candida. I had a hard time accepting that one and it makes the anti-candida woe really hard - NOTHING sweet.

I'm having a hard time of it right now - the emotional effects are quite bad - feel depressed and 'pointless' about everything and very irritable...not my usual self and it's not PMS. Darn this disease!

Good luck to everyone - we will get clear - and speak again soon...
Ana xxx
Old 04-15-2004, 02:27 PM   #17
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

caprylic acid

I just bought it but on the back it say's certified potency sodium caprylate 325mgs does anyone know if that means sodium as in salt/ because I have high blood pressure. I didn't notice this in the store or I would have asked them and they are closed now. Plus, I thought splenda was an ok thing. This is just horrible. Is there a sugar sub. out there we can use. Doesn't seem right, that you can never have sweets in moderation. Any feedback welcome
Old 04-16-2004, 03:00 AM   #18
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Not sure about that Kellyas. Yes this is a really tough woe to follow - the only vague sweet things are natural yoghurt with cultures but even that can set my cravings and symptoms off and nuts most definitely do. After a few days the need for anything sweet decreases - I had to change my lifestyle and stop going to places that would tempt me and make me feel miserable when I couldn't eat/drink like everyone else. The lo-carb thing prepares us for that a little but having NO treats at all is really quite traumatic when they're your favourite foods. I sympathise..but right now don't know any other way.

Ax
Old 04-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #19
blueskyes2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blueskyes2
Start Date: Aug. 2002
I am so happy to find this thread as I am struggling through this now and am really unsure how to proceed!

I have been doing Atkins since Aug. of 2002 and taking acidophilus all of that time. I lost 40 pounds and then stalled out badly. I believe that I have an issue with yeast (and this is what Dr. A seems to suggest in his book). I did a 15 day yeast cleanse (Candida gone) but didn't notice any significant effects. I then read that someone was using GSE on the main lobby board and since I had some of that have started up with that. For about 2 weeks I did 12 drops two times a day and then moved up to 15 drops two times a day which I have been doing since 3/31. I finally started to notice some die off symptoms (loose stools and skin itching, rash for about a day).

I have to take BC and am on low dose Seasonale for PCOS. How long should I keep this up?

Mandy, I read Vita-Nutrient solution, too, and wasn't sure how to get a hold of all of that stuff and in what dose. Do you remember dose?

Also, I was curious if anybody did OK with GSE alone (along with Atkins)?
blueskyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 140
WOE: Plant Based Vegan
Start Date: Jan 2001
My DS's girlfriend has candida and she can use Stevia as a alternate sweetener. It was recommended by her doctor.

The other thing about yogurt is that if you drain the plain yogurt, most all of the lactose is drained off in the whey. I know this because another friend who is hypoglycemic tested her blood after consuming 8 oz plain yogurt and 8 oz yocheese. Her blood sugar went up 45 pts with the plain yogurt and only 10 pts with the yocheese. And the yocheese is yummier anyway!

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #21
sfgirl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sfgirl
Stats: 140/128/117, 5'5"
WOE: I KISS like a caveman!
Start Date: Feb, 2003
I look Lamisil oral for 90 days, and that seemed to kick it. I had a toenail infection and got the Rx...

I avoid low carb products like the plague: both will make you sick, but the plague doesn't make you gain weight and take your money!
sfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #22
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

STEVIA

Can you purchase stevia in a grocery store? You guys have been very helpful, just wish I would get better.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #23
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

what do you eat

Hi me again, was just wondering if Londongirl could give me some ideas on what to eat. What is your day like? Thanks so much
Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 AM   #24
Londongirl
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kellyas,

Lord - I wish I could get better too - sorry - my internet is down at home - it'll be fixed Friday so I can reply more regularly.

What should you eat - there are plenty of things it's just that if you're like me and you're craving all the things you shouldn't it can feel like hell!

There's a good book called 'Cooking Without' that you can get in UK - try amazon. You can use coconut milk instead of dairy - and BRAGG (liquid amino acids) to flavour your food instead of soya sauce/gravy etc which is fermented.

Stevia can be got from stevia.com apparently and comes in drops to add to yoghurt etc.

Try Quinoa or Amaranth if you want to eat high protein grains - be careful of oats.

Eat salads, eggs, lo-carb veggies, avocado, fish, meat, shellfish, try eating nuts but if you're like me you won't be able to stop!

Take olive leaf extract as an anti-fungal and I also take threelac...think it helps. Drink water and peppermint tea - avoid tea, coffee, fake sugar.

If you want any more specific meal ideas I'll try to help but I tend to eat chicken, fish, prawns with salad all the time - boring!

Let's just pray to be better

What are your main symptoms?

LOve Ana x
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #25
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

thank you

Went to gyn today and yeast infection is finally gone. I hope it never comes back. Thanks for the stuff to eat. My only system is a yeast infeciton. I don't have any other. So hopefully I am not to bad. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #26
anthony
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anthony
WOE: Atkins Forever
Start Date: November 1999
http://www.vitaminlady.com/Articles/...a_albicans.asp
anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #27
tweetynole2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tweetynole2
Stats: 280/225/170; 5'7"; 26/18/14
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 9, 2004
No, your yeast probably isn't....

I just wanted to say to kellyjas that even though your vaginal yeast infection is gone, it doesn't mean you don't have candida. I rarely have the vaginal problem (usually only when I take antibiotics) but I DO oftentimes have the candida all over my body. Have you ever done the spit test?

Try this:

http://www.auntbarbies.com/candidatest.htm

It's pretty darned accurate. If you flunk, you've got it. Then you need to get some sort of supplement, antifungal thing you can take orally. Also taking acidophillus wouldn't hurt, but just taking that probably won't get rid of it. There are a number of things to take...I take something called Yeast Formula...others take ThreeLac (pricey but I hear it works pretty quick), and there are tons of others. Just visit your health food store, but try to go to one where they know something...LOL

Good luck!

Susan
tweetynole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 AM   #28
Silly
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Silly
I had nonstop yeast infections for ages, then I started taking Yeast Fighters from Twin Labs, I added acidophilis supps w/papaya enzyme and did my cooking with virgin coconut oil.

A year later and I'm free of the infections! I continue to use acidophilis and papaya enzyme and I still cook w/the coconut oil. Cut out most sugars if you can and good luck!
Silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #29
kellyjas
Junior LCF Member

thanks

Thank you all for all your words of wisdom I have been diagnosed with Atrophic vaginitis. That has to do with your hormones, I don't have enough anymore and this is what's causing my problem. I did that test and I don't see where I have Candidia. I will continue to take aciphillis vitiams and caprillic (i think I spelled them wrong). But thanks for all your input.
Kel
Old 05-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #30
lo-carbin-in-Pgh
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lo-carbin-in-Pgh
Start Date: October 2000
I have been on Atkins for 3 1/2 years - in fact, the reason I started was to clear up yeast - the weight loss was an added benefit. I have done well until the last couple of months when I have been having digestive symptoms, itchiness, headaches, TMJ, and allergies. Yesterday it got to the point where it was when I started Atkins - allergy symptoms so bad I get hives and facial swelling. I was so discouraged because this truly has become a WOL for me but yet the yeast came back. I was puzzled, until . . .

I read this post and learned SPLENDA AND SUGAR ALCOHOLS FEED YEAST!!!!! I am so mad!!!!! I have thought Russell Stovers and Carb Smart Ice Cream were a blessing, and eat them every day! I feel like I'm starting from square one now. This WOE was so much easier before the beginning of this year when all the processed foods became available in low-carb. Now I wonder what I'm really putting in my body.

Thanks to all who posted on this subject - now what to do with my 700-count box of Splenda packets from Sam's club!
Reached goal 1/05 - 130 lbs
Starting again 5/31/14 - 152 lbs
Today I'm 144
lo-carbin-in-Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote