Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Shingles

I am 55 and have shingles. My insurance does not pay for the vaccine until age 60. I am wondering if shingles is an indicator of poor health as my brother got them in his early 50's and died of brain cancer at age 54. Also my younger sister who is 52 had shingles 2 years ago and she is in poor health with auto immune issues. My 74 old mother has never had shingles, not sure about my dad he died at age 53 from a heart attack.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
I'm in my 50's, I had Shingles 2 years ago. That was One Horrible Experience I don't ever want to repeat!! My Doctor that I had Weakened Immune System, he said a lot of my vitamins were deficient such as D, B12, and I was Anemic, and my potassium was way to low. He also said my psoriasis and my history of bladder and yeast infections were related to the Weakened Immune System. I have since put my health first and stopped treating my body so bad. Take good care of yourself you deserve it. The clock can be turned back on a lot of the problems we have as we age.
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks. I am due for bloodwork and a physical!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Enemysugar
How long did it take you to get over your shingles? I am having less itching, the nerve pain is intermittent. The worst symptom now is I am fatigued beyond belief

Last edited by jeaniem; 04-19-2017 at 08:38 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbieleigh
I had chicken pox when i was 33 ........

one of my tenants got shingles and i got scared so last year i had the vaccine

so im told i can get the rash but not the pain

all my blood work ha been good for my 54 year..but i am always low in iron
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
Since shingles are so painful, can you just pay for the shot rather than wait for 5 years? I was looking on the web and it costs about $190.00
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Enemysugar
How long did it take you to get over your shingles? I am having less itching, the nerve pain is intermittent. The worst symptom now is I am fatigued beyond belief
It was 4 months before I felt myself again, I'm not talking about the pain, although the pain was horrible to deal with, the itching was so intense that If I just could have reached it, I would have ripped that area off my body, the trouble for me was, the itching and the pain was under the skin, I could not reach it. I would claw at my back and chest to no avail. Even now, 2 years later I can feel the pain and the itch and My back and chest feel numb. No pain medication could ever give me relief. I prayed to god to help me, that was the only thing that ever gave me any relief. I know what you are going through, if you are a spiritual person, ask to help you through it and please talk to me if you need someone who gets it. My thoughts are with you...
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
Since shingles are so painful, can you just pay for the shot rather than wait for 5 years? I was looking on the web and it costs about $190.00
Dr.said about $500! She also said I should get a very mild case if I should get them again.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemysugar View Post
It was 4 months before I felt myself again, I'm not talking about the pain, although the pain was horrible to deal with, the itching was so intense that If I just could have reached it, I would have ripped that area off my body, the trouble for me was, the itching and the pain was under the skin, I could not reach it. I would claw at my back and chest to no avail. Even now, 2 years later I can feel the pain and the itch and My back and chest feel numb. No pain medication could ever give me relief. I prayed to god to help me, that was the only thing that ever gave me any relief. I know what you are going through, if you are a spiritual person, ask to help you through it and please talk to me if you need someone who gets it. My thoughts are with you...
Thank you.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #10
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
I just got the shingle shot the end of March at Walgreens. My insurance didn't cover it. It cost $250.00. I paid it, I've never had shingles but that commercial about the painful rash was enough to scare me to spend the money.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy love View Post
I just got the shingle shot the end of March at Walgreens. My insurance didn't cover it. It cost $250.00. I paid it, I've never had shingles but that commercial about the painful rash was enough to scare me to spend the money.
I had the shingles vaccine at my local pharmacy in 2011 and insurance didn't cover it; my Mother also wasn't covered for it with Medicare. I thought for sure it would be covered by now, six years later. What is wrong with this picture? How long does it take for insurance carriers to wake up and realize that the shingles vaccine is a SIMPLE and PREVENTIVE medical need? They'd rather wait until the person gets shingles and suffers for months, and then they'll pay for the continuing doctor visits, possibly hospital visits, medicines, treatments, etc.? Who makes these stupid decisions?
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's odd because I had the shingles vaccine about 9 years ago, and I was willing to pay for it because I figured it was one shot and worth it, but my insurance covered it totally.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I am on Medicare, and my insurance covered all but $40 of it at Rite Aid. I don't recall when I had shingles, but I think it was around 2008 or 2009. It was horrible. The pain was worst for the first month, but it did continue for a very long time, but it was bearable. Close to a year. Each person is different. My daughter had it when she was 17 and got over it quickly, as she was young. Then I had it in my 60's. My son and son in law both had it in their late 40s, and then my son got it again, and DH had it around age 70. He didn't get out of bed for 3 weeks except to go to the bathroom. That was the reason I got the shot. I had heard that if you get it a second time it will be mild, but it can show up in a different place. I got the shot because I didn't want to get it on my face. The only person in my family who didn't get it was my DIL. I think maybe she never had chicken pox, and that's what it comes from.

Jean, I hope your shingles turn out to be a mild case and doesn't last long. My daughter had shingles at 17 and she is now 49, good health. It's possible that shingles could be activated by a weakened immune system, and if that person continued to have a weak immune system they coud develop other illnesses, as your sister did.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
heidihoopi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: All time Hi--293/this time--219/194/166
WOE: LowCarb, 600 cal days 2x a week
Start Date: Restart Feb 12,2017
I hate to burst your bubbles ladies but dh and I both got the vaccine a few years ago and dh now has a horrendous case going on 6 weeks now-- he's spent most of that time in bed in awful pain and none of the meds help! He has diabetes 2 so is immune compromised. My mom had it shortly before she died, but she was 92 and we got the shot right away seeing how bad the pain was. The Doc told me at the time that the shot is only about 50 percent effective. But I figured that was better than nothing. I sure hope dh recovers fully soon and that this is not a harbinger of things to come-- he just retired and we have places to go and things to see!

Last edited by heidihoopi; 04-27-2017 at 02:49 PM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:39 AM   #15
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Heidi-
No bursted bubbles here; I knew it was not totally effective when I opted for the shingles vaccine. But I am a believer in preventative care, so I choose to use whatever is available.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 144/135/125/122 5'6 1/2" 75yr
WOE: SBD -> JUDDD
Start Date: 5/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
I hate to burst your bubbles ladies but dh and I both got the vaccine a few years ago and dh now has a horrendous case going on 6 weeks now-- he's spent most of that time in bed in awful pain and none of the meds help! He has diabetes 2 so is immune compromised. My mom had it shortly before she died, but she was 92 and we got the shot right away seeing how bad the pain was. The Doc told me at the time that the shot is only about 50 percent effective. But I figured that was better than nothing. I sure hope dh recovers fully soon and that this is not a harbinger of things to come-- he just retired and we have places to go and things to see!
I had a horrible case of shingles that lasted six months several decades ago. Later I did look into getting the vaccine at Walgreens. The information sheet they gave me said that one could still get shingles even with the vaccine. Since I'm very hesitant about medications anyway including vaccines, I choose not to get one. Sorry about your husband suffering!

2nd Long Term Goal 135 reached: 6/11/17
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
heidihoopi
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sharon.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbieleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
The information sheet they gave me said that one could still get shingles even with the vaccine.!
the rash but NOT the pain

i was told
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
heidihoopi
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieleigh View Post
the rash but NOT the pain

i was told
From my dh and friend both battling shingles right now, just the opposite is true. The rash never came for one, didn't last long for the other, but the pain continues.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 05-19-2017 at 12:05 PM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote