Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
nekkidfish
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Stevia, Truvia, Splenda, Sweet-n-low, etc?

I see people post that they would never use Splenda, but I'm not sure why.

Yesterday at the grocery I noticed that Truvia has 3 carbs per packet, whereas Stevia and Splenda have <1.

Can someone tell me simply which of these are the safest artificial sweeteners to use?

Oh, and I never see anyone talk about using Sweet-n-low ... and now I wonder why?

Thanks for any insight!

HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I can't really answer your question because I'm allergic to the filler of granular splenda. I only use liquid splenda. There are many sweetners, You have to learn what you can use. I use many other sweetners.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Sweet and Low is saccharine. It gets bitter if you use too much. I can use it in conjunction with other sweeteners. I love Splenda. I use the liquid form with no fillers and no carbs. A cup of granular Splenda has 24 carbs. I use erythritol which is a sugar akcohol with the lowest gylcemic index, 0, and the least negative consequences for people who have issues with digesting them. I also use stevia, but once again, for me it tastes bitter if you use too much. I prefer it mixed with other sweeteners.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
nekkidfish
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Sweet and Low is saccharine. It gets bitter if you use too much. I can use it in conjunction with other sweeteners. I love Splenda. I use the liquid form with no fillers and no carbs. A cup of granular Splenda has 24 carbs. I use erythritol which is a sugar akcohol with the lowest gylcemic index, 0, and the least negative consequences for people who have issues with digesting them. I also use stevia, but once again, for me it tastes bitter if you use too much. I prefer it mixed with other sweeteners.
How do you convert recipes calling for a cup of powdered Splenda, with the liquid form? I don't remember seeing liquid Splenda at the grocery .... do I have to get that online?

One of the other reasons I asked about this, is that I had been trying Truvia and Stevia in my hot tea over the last few weeks. Well, I kept getting these weird stomach aches in the middle of the afternoon. I'm now thinking it was the Truvia. I stopped using it last week and haven't had a stomach ache since.

HUGz! Jules
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I order liquid splenda online. Google liquid sucralose. The kind I get is 1/4 t = 1 cup sweetening power. You can also find splenda tablets at the regular store. Walmart has them. They might work in your coffee.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
The carbs in Truvia are mostly from Erythritol - a sugar alcohol.
I use it, but I mostly use liquid sucralose. Erythritol has that cooling effect that I don't care for if you use too much of it. It works for me in some things and not for others. I count each packet as 1 carb since the Sugar Alcohol is not absorbed.
Don't like the taste of sweet n low.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
nekkidfish
Senior LCF Member

Super! Thanks again!

HUGz! Jules
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
mojave
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
It's funny how different sweeteners effect different people.I can't use granular Splenda, makes me feel awful, the liquid form in Torani syrup sometimes makes my bladder ache. I use stevia in tea and now Truvia for baking. I read that Truvia can give some folks a belly ache, this has not been the case for me. I occasionally make a dessert with sf pudding mix that contains aspartame and if I overindulge I get weird energy rushes. Thankfully, I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
nekkidfish
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
It's funny how different sweeteners effect different people.I can't use granular Splenda, makes me feel awful, the liquid form in Torani syrup sometimes makes my bladder ache. I use stevia in tea and now Truvia for baking. I read that Truvia can give some folks a belly ache, this has not been the case for me. I occasionally make a dessert with sf pudding mix that contains aspartame and if I overindulge I get weird energy rushes. Thankfully, I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
I agree ... weird. I ordered the liquid Splenda and can't wait to try that.

HUGz! Jules