Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Maryposa

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Celiac, allergies and my diet - no gluten, dairy, coffee, eggs....????

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I seem to also have an issue with dairy and maybe even coffee... casein and coffee both apparently have similar structures to gluten so even though I was low carb (naturally less gluten) that explains why I've had stomach cramps every morning for the past year or two.

It so frustrating, since I'm also allergic to egg protein, how restricted my diet is now.

Plus, I do have T2 diabetes on both sides of my family so I'm low carb and trying not to allow potato, rice, corn.

Maybe I need to do a Paleo diet????

Anyone else who can relate?

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/220/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Oh yikes. I have been off gluten for years now, and an allergy panel showed reactions to eggs and dairy.

I don't have much advice because although I have cut back on all of the above, I haven't managed to do away with all of them.

Meat and vegetables are left, which you can certainly live just fine on, it is the convenience factor for me.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Sorry to hear that! Maybe it's a good time to use the old adage of "think of what you CAN eat" and make the most of it. And also, to think of all the healthy things you'll be eating!

I can relate somewhat. I'm moderately allergic to cow dairy and coffee, and couldn't have them for years. However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I have a tolerance to some kinds of coffee (especially when consumed infrequently), and I can eat other dairy products (goat butter or yogurt, buffalo cheese, sheep cheese), although the down side is that they are much more expensive.

There are lots of great paleo recipes out there!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Maryposa

Thanks for the responses! Gina, why did you decide to go gluten free?
My issue is I get "free" (provided) lunches at work and I have no idea if the meats are coated in flour or marinated in soy sauce. The restaurants are supposed to list the gluten and dairy but I think they are pretty lazy about it, honestly. For example, Chinese food one day... they didn't list egg roles or some of the stuff which to me obviously had soy. So, I have been sticking with salad, with dressings I don't particularly care for, and I am already tired of that. :/

Old 02-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Maryposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Sorry to hear that! Maybe it's a good time to use the old adage of "think of what you CAN eat" and make the most of it. And also, to think of all the healthy things you'll be eating!

I can relate somewhat. I'm moderately allergic to cow dairy and coffee, and couldn't have them for years. However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I have a tolerance to some kinds of coffee (especially when consumed infrequently), and I can eat other dairy products (goat butter or yogurt, buffalo cheese, sheep cheese), although the down side is that they are much more expensive.

There are lots of great paleo recipes out there!
I agree.... however I think I need to ease up on some other things in my diet in order to tighten down on these without feeling like I am really not able to eat anything... for example, maybe I will try adding in some more starchy veggies which I hadn't allowed before, and maybe a bit (not a LOT) more natural sugars? I dunno...

Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/220/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Thanks for the responses! Gina, why did you decide to go gluten free?
My issue is I get "free" (provided) lunches at work and I have no idea if the meats are coated in flour or marinated in soy sauce. The restaurants are supposed to list the gluten and dairy but I think they are pretty lazy about it, honestly. For example, Chinese food one day... they didn't list egg roles or some of the stuff which to me obviously had soy. So, I have been sticking with salad, with dressings I don't particularly care for, and I am already tired of that. :/
I decided to gluten free when a friend's doctor told her she should. I had all of the same symptoms, so I figured I would try it with her. I felt tons better. I "deflated" a dress size, and even a shoe size. The rosacea I had been battling for years cleared up. No more indigestion.

At first, I was very sensitive to getting "glutened," but I am much less so now. I wouldn't sit down to pancakes or pasta, but I stopped worrying about a little flower in a coating or sauce. I was never diagnosed with celiac though.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Maryposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I decided to gluten free when a friend's doctor told her she should. I had all of the same symptoms, so I figured I would try it with her. I felt tons better. I "deflated" a dress size, and even a shoe size. The rosacea I had been battling for years cleared up. No more indigestion.

At first, I was very sensitive to getting "glutened," but I am much less so now. I wouldn't sit down to pancakes or pasta, but I stopped worrying about a little flower in a coating or sauce. I was never diagnosed with celiac though.
Thanks for sharing your experience

I've been on daily nexium for SEVEN years. I think I'm going to be able to go off of it now I've been tapering down since I cut all gluten and dairy