Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
bcgal00
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bcgal00
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2017
? had normal BP but now rising

I'm a woman, late 50's, been on keto diet for 10 days and down 10 lbs. Started at 186 and now 176. I've felt good, increased energy, no cravings, meeting my macro limits daily but there has been a bit of fluttery feeling in my chest but no dizziness or anything. Today i took my BP for the first time and it was 150/80, normally it would be 125/80. I took it 4 times, with 150, 142, 138, 135.

Any ideas on what i should look at that might be causing this?
Macros: cal1500, carbs 19, protein 75, fiber 21, sodium 2300

taking 300 magnesium with calcium, spirulina which i believe has minerals in it, and sprinkle a bit of no-salt on dinner which has potassium.

Thx for any ideas, you all. I am so happy on this regime but am worried about the BP.
bcgal00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I'm a woman, late 50's, been on keto diet for 10 days and down 10 lbs. Started at 186 and now 176. I've felt good, increased energy, no cravings, meeting my macro limits daily but there has been a bit of fluttery feeling in my chest but no dizziness or anything. Today i took my BP for the first time and it was 150/80, normally it would be 125/80. I took it 4 times, with 150, 142, 138, 135.

Any ideas on what i should look at that might be causing this?
Macros: cal1500, carbs 19, protein 75, fiber 21, sodium 2300

taking 300 magnesium with calcium, spirulina which i believe has minerals in it, and sprinkle a bit of no-salt on dinner which has potassium.

Thx for any ideas, you all. I am so happy on this regime but am worried about the BP.
When I was on low carb in August my blood pressure went down (hoping that will be the case again).
Are you drinking enough water? Are you stressed about something today?
You can take your blood pressure the next couple of days and if it doesn't normalize, call your doctor and let them know. It doesn't look like it would be anything that you are eating from your macros. Normally magnesium helps reduce blood pressure a bit.

Last edited by Izzysdream; 02-21-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
bcgal00
Junior LCF Member

ok, i feel good but maybe the stress could increase it as my daughter just mvoed back in, her marriage dissolved.

I will increase the magnesium to 500 and see if that helps too. I drink about 14-16 cups/day of water, 3 coffees and a bullet proof coffee and sometimes a few green teas at night.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
ok, i feel good but maybe the stress could increase it as my daughter just mvoed back in, her marriage dissolved.

I will increase the magnesium to 500 and see if that helps too. I drink about 14-16 cups/day of water, 3 coffees and a bullet proof coffee and sometimes a few green teas at night.
Yes the stress of your daughter's stress could do it. Deep breaths and hugs!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
bcgal00
Junior LCF Member

Thx. I'll keep an eye on it and do multiple readings about 30 seconds apart. if i continue to see it dropping with each subsequent reading i'll not worry about it.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
WoodysWorld
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WoodysWorld
Stats: 135/114.6/115
WOE: Ketogenic/VLC
Start Date: 12/04/2016
You need salt, potassium and magnesium. You'll need to top off your electrolytes DAILY when eating this way. Try adding 1/4tsp of salt to a bottle of water (16.9 fl oz) and drink that. Or get some bullion cubes and have a couple of mugs of that a day. You can take a potassium supplement, but the mg's are lame, so you'll have to take a few. Or you can get yourself some "low salt" salt at the grocery store, and that is mainly made up of
potassium, then salt your food with it.

I had all kinds of crazy heart palpitations, low bp, high bp, headaches, weird low humming in my ears and everything else brought on by LOW ELECTROLYTES. Sucked!

This time around I know better! I bought some of that sugar free propel powder and add that to a bottle of water when I start feeling weird, plus the salt thing AND the potassium. Once everything is topped off, you should feel better.

Getting enough salt, potassium and magnesium whilst doing Keto is CRUCIAL, and it doesn't just "go away". It's either a daily or weekly thing, just depends on you!

You can probably do a google search on keto+electrolytes and come up with other people's concoctions.

Good luck! Keto is great!!!

Julia
WoodysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
It may sound backward but you actually need more sodium. 3000 mg per day is minimum on keto. If you don't get enough your body will retain what it can. Try going your sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day and see if that helps. Of course drink enough water as well.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
bcgal00
Junior LCF Member

I think I'll get the electrolyte powder if I can find it around here and will increase my sodium more too. Thx for your ideas.