Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
SinisterKisses
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SinisterKisses
Low carb breads REALLY low carb?

Hi all. New to this forum, but have been doing low carb for about two and a half years. Have been happy with the progress I've seen, and many things were surprisingly easy for me to give up. However, I have always been a die-hard breadaholic, so that has been harder for me. I recently discovered a website with all kinds of fun low carb items and decided to give a low carb bread a try. I ended up with a plain bread, a cinnamon raisin, sesame seed bagels, and tortillas. I've been extremely impressed with them, HOWEVER - the back of my brain has questioned whether these items can truly be as low carb as they claim (ie: 1g net per slice of bread). I'm concerned the nutrition info isn't entirely truthful and it will affect my weight loss, for one thing. After doing a quick search online I found a few cases of "low carb breads" being proven to actually be up to 17 times the carb count the nutrition info claimed. So now I'm really wondering if these are just too good to be true? Are low carb breads REALLY low carb, can the nutrition information be trusted?
SinisterKisses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
What brand did you buy? I like both Great Low Carb Bread Company and ThinSlim breads. They don't cause cravings and are mostly fiber. Whether you include fiber in your carb counts is up to you, but most people subtract it. However, if you are doing keto you should probably limit to occasional use, as generally 50 g total carbs/day a hard limit for most people doing keto.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-24-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
SinisterKisses
Junior LCF Member

The brand on the breads was Baker's Deluxe.

Yes, 50g/day is what I work with, since I started years ago. If these things really ARE only 1g net/slice then that's extremely easy to fit in without issue, but whether they really can be that low or not seems questionable.

I've always worked on the "net carb" system of subtracting grams of fibre from the grams of carbs, and that net is what I use to calculate my intake for the day.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I looked up that brand and while I wouldn't personally buy them because of the amount of flax and soy protein, I don't see any reason why the nutrition information would be in error.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
SinisterKisses
Junior LCF Member

Great, thank you for your input! I shall carry on lol.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They are expensive and often not properly represented in the nutrition labels and frequently use ingredients that I like to avoid all together. I have discovered a simple recipe that works very well. It is found at the dietdoctor site and is just called low carb bread. Might be worth a try?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote