Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redhead360
Confussed and frustrated!!

Ok, so I'm a bit confused. I hear over and over again that calories are not important. Well let's rephrase that and say, their not the main focus. I read I should be mostly concentrating with ratios and eating when hungry, stopping when content correct?

So then why when I look at menus from this site does it look like people are not eating!!

how are people eating so little ( yes, I know the fat helps satisfy you longer) and able to do this for so long. When I look at menus here compared to the ones I have seen listed on Goggle searches, I'm just perplexed.

this is a fake sample of the kind of menus I typically see here on the High Fat Keto postings here:

B: PB Coffee
L: 1 egg with mayo
Diece of chicken and 1/2 a cucumber with dressing

Or:
3 yolks and 2 sausages

sliced roast roll up with mayo, 1/2 cup broccoli with cheese
( this is for the whole day!!)

I also see a lot of people counting calories and keeping them at 1400-1600

I'm not trying to be a whiner (LOL) but one of the reasons I wanted to eat this way was to not be eating lower calories or starving myself. Am I missing something?? Am I being unrealistic about what I get to eat?

Thanks for any info or guidance in advance!
Redhead360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

^^^^^^Bumped^^^^^^
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
The menu you posted does not sound typical to me, it is not enough food for most people. That said, for my age, weight, gender and body type, I did keep calories at around 1400 a day to lose weight. You may be different. Have you used the Ankerl keto calculator to figure out how much you should be eating? If not, start there.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-07-2017 at 08:10 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
The menu you posted does not sound typical to me, it is not enough food for most people. That said, for my age, weight, gender and body type, I did keep calories at around 1400 a day to lose weight. You may be different. Have you used the Ankerl keto calculator to figure out how much you should be eating? If not, start there.
Hey there. So I did the calculator and I'm sorry but it makes no sense. According to the calculation I should maintain at 1800 calories and eating 1500-1600? Nope. I know my body and that just isn't going to work. There is no way if I'm eating 80% fat I can eat 1500 calories. It's just way too low for me. I'm over 200 lbs.

Again it's the contradiction that drives me crazy. Eat until satisfied and stick to % Vs. you need to eat 1500 calories. It can't be both.

P.S. Both the menus I posted were from this site and people who are doing Keto. Most of the people I see with those types of menus are eating 1400-1600 calories. I can do that for a week or two, but there is no way I can keep my food that limited for months on end.

Last edited by Redhead360; 03-07-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Also, it could be possible those individuals are fat adapted and they are doing what is known as "intermittent fasting" and not purposely. Depending on their bodyfat, they can eat that and not be hungry but their fat storage will make up the caloric deficit. That being said, this comes naturally, not forced.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead360 View Post
Hey there. So I did the calculator and I'm sorry but it makes no sense. According to the calculation I should maintain at 1800 calories and eating 1500-1600? Nope. I know my body and that just isn't going to work. There is no way if I'm eating 80% fat I can eat 1500 calories. It's just way too low for me. I'm over 200 lbs.

Again it's the contradiction that drives me crazy. Eat until satisfied and stick to % Vs. you need to eat 1500 calories. It can't be both.

P.S. Both the menus I posted were from this site and people who are doing Keto. Most of the people I see with those types of menus are eating 1400-1600 calories. I can do that for a week or two, but there is no way I can keep my food that limited for months on end.
Redhead, remember in another post I talked about the protocol I follow:

Carb is a limit
Protein is a goal
Fat (only eat to satiety) you do NOT have to eat the maximum grams of fat.

Use grams, not percentages. Your fat storage will make up the caloric deficit for you, naturally.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Rosebud,

Here's the thing, I need clarity. I'm getting very conflicting information. The calculations I listed above came from the Ankerl keto calculator YOU suggested

For me, Atkins was a breeze because I had a food list, I knew to keep carbs to 20 or less for the day, and I could eat as much meet as I needed to be satisfied. I didn't have to calculate everything. Honestly, untill the last 15 lbs, I rarely had to tweak anything to lose. Yes, I lost some weeks more then others, I had occasional stalls, but overall if I stuck to the above I lost. I almost think it was better that low-carbing wasn't real popular then because most people on here that were doing Atkins were doing it almost the same. Not a lot of controversy.

So again, keep the carbs under 20 is not that hard starting week 2. If I get the fat to 80% ( which is what MANY people suggest) I can do that too. What I can't do is do the above and eat 1600 calories. It's simply not enough food for me. Maybe my best bet is to just go back to the plan I found on Google and not ask for any info here....I think their are just too many cooks in the kitchen and I'm lost! ( seemed like the appropriate metaphor right??)

P.S. I also want to say a huge THANKS for taking the time and trying to help me. I may be whiny, but I do appreciate all your time and effort!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Are you male or female? How old? What do you weigh? Height? Medical issues? I am over 200 lbs. and have to eat 1400 cal/day to lose. So it isn't out of the realm of possibility. 80% of calories from fat is a lot. Not everyone on keto eats 80% fat. Also, eat until you are no longer hungry is probably more accurate than eat until satisfied. If you are new to keto, it can be hard to understand the difference.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mistizoom,

Generally I wouldn't answer the weight question (lol) on an open forum but since you asked..

I'm female, 52, 227, 5.5 1/2" menopausal, and some health issues but nothing that would effect my WOE. I got the 80% fat number from the Keto diet, not from this site. I did low-carb ( Atkins)for many years, and was quite successful losing over 110 lbs and hitting goal. I also did weight watchers successfully for 5. I gained weight recently mostly due to medication and health issues that are happily no longer an issue. I also overate because once I had gained 40 lbs, frankly, I gave up on ever getting back to a healthy weight. Satisfied is the correct word I would use. That's doesn't mean full, or stuffed, it means no longer hungry, and I do know the difference
Old 03-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rosebud,

Here's the thing, I need clarity. I'm getting very conflicting information. The calculations I listed above came from the Ankerl keto calculator YOU suggested
It was Mistizoom that suggested the calculator.

As for clarity, there is a book called Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and it is has a wealth of information just as both Mistizoom and I have told you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Rosebud; 03-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: book recommendation.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Mistizoom,

Generally I wouldn't answer the weight question (lol) on an open forum but since you asked..

I'm female, 52, 227, 5.5 1/2" menopausal, and some health issues but nothing that would effect my WOE. I got the 80% fat number from the Keto diet, not from this site. I did low-carb ( Atkins)for many years, and was quite successful losing over 110 lbs and hitting goal. I also did weight watchers successfully for 5. I gained weight recently mostly due to medication and health issues that are happily no longer an issue. I also overate because once I had gained 40 lbs, frankly, I gave up on ever getting back to a healthy weight. Satisfied is the correct word I would use. That's doesn't mean full, or stuffed, it means no longer hungry, and I do know the difference
You are the same weight and height as me, and about 5 years older. I am peri-menopausal. The numbers the keto calculator gave you are correct, 1400-1600 cals/day to lose weight. That is how I lost weight. I am no longer losing (have gained about 25 lbs. actually for a few reasons) but for the sake of losing the weight, that is what works. I will post of few days of menus from when I was full-on keto and losing at a good clip separately.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
It was Mistizoom that suggested the calculator.

As for clarity, there is a book called Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and it is has a wealth of information just as both Mistizoom and I have told you. Keep us posted on your progress.
Sorry! Multi tasking at work is probably not the best idea
Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Here are my normal keto weight loss goals:

Calories 1,410 kcal
Carbs 35 g
Fiber 10 g
Fat 110 g
Protein 71 g
Sodium 3,000 mg
Old 03-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Eating out day:

Breakfast
Atkins Advantage - Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight Shake (O), 11 fl oz

Lunch
Jimmy John's - #16 Club Lulu Unwich - From Website, 1 Unwich
Jimmy John's - Large Diet Coke,
Jimmy John's - 1/2 Pickle, 98 g

Dinner
Texas Roadhouse - Green Beans, 0.2 cup
Texas Roadhouse - Side Salad With Ranch Dressing No Croutons, 0.5 salad
Cheese - Blue, bleu, 1 oz
Generic Peanuts - 10 Peanuts In Shell, Shell Not Eaten, 10 peanuts
Texas Roadhouse - 10 oz Ribeye, 4 OZ

Snack
Arizona - Arnold Palmer Half & Half Powder Stix, 1 Packet (1.7g)

Cal 1,219 Carbs 21 Fiber 12 Fat 85 Protein 82 Sodium 3,326

I can assure you, I was not hungry on this day.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Breakfast
Vande Rose Farms - Artisan Dry Cured Bacon, 2 slice
Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 2 large

Lunch
Oscar Mayer - Smokies Smoked Sausage Made With Pork & Beef, 2 link
Westbrae Natural - Dijon Style Mustard, 1 tsp 55
Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.25 cup, quartered or chopped

Dinner
Lamb patties - grain free, 3 serving
Generic - Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Olive Oil, 0.66 cup
Colby Jack Finely Shredded Cheese, 0.0625 cup
Costco - Hormel - Cooked Bacon, 2 Slices, 0.66 slices
Stony Field Farm - Lowfat Yogurt - Plain, 2 oz

Snacks
Diet Pepsi - Cola Soft Drink (20 oz Bottle), 20 fl oz

Cal 1,430 Carbs 27 Fiber 6 Fat 108 Protein 82 Sodium 2,904
Old 03-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Breakfast

Lunch
Blue Diamond Natural - 100 Calorie Bag of Oven Roasted Almonds - Sea Salt, 1 bag (17g)
Atkins - Sesame Chicken Stir Fry, 1 tray

Dinner
Strip Steak - Grilled New York Strip Steak, 4 oz.
Kerrygold - Salted Sweet Cream Butter, 0.66 tablespoon
Weber Grind'n Grill - Chicago Steak Seasoning, 1/4 tsp
Low carb chocolate peanut butter cup (fat bombs), 1 serving

Snacks
3 minute chocolate caramel flax cake for one, 1 serving(s)

Cal 1,485 Carbs 36 Fiber 22 Fat 114 Protein 87 Sodium 1,819
Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
The better you eat the better you will do.
For me calories are out there and I check them from time to time. I keep my fat nice and high and my protein moderate and I never eat Protein or veggies without fat.

I eat clean. I don't eat much processed food at all and I keep to basics.

I don't lose if I don't have enough calories. Too low and losing is a struggle.
I eat about 2000 in calories a day. 25 lbs lost in 7 weeks.
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Mistizoom,
I'm a bit confused though because about half the stuff your eating to me is not clean low-carb. I don't eat any processed foods. I can't do nuts at all (except for macadamia, which I can't afford! lol). Ditto on Diet soda and the Atkins shakes.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The better you eat the better you will do.
For me calories are out there and I check them from time to time. I keep my fat nice and high and my protein moderate and I never eat Protein or veggies without fat.

I eat clean. I don't eat much processed food at all and I keep to basics.

I don't lose if I don't have enough calories. Too low and losing is a struggle.
I eat about 2000 in calories a day. 25 lbs lost in 7 weeks.
Thanks Baylor!!!!!

People used to argue with me all the time that when I go to low in calories I stall. There's a sweet spot, I'm jut a bit lost as to how to find it. I don't want to be making all these fat bomb meal substitutes. First all the sweeteners sets off my cravings, something I'm finally not having after a week of clean eating, and second, I want to eat real food. That's why I don't do the shakes, or diet drinks.

I think your on the right track of what works for me. I remember on Atkins, the cleaner I ate ( also known as Frankenfoods!) the better I always did. Cheese has always been a real problem with me, and for some reason I forgot that. The peanuts were a lazy attempt at eating a handful of something to keep me going. I now have some hard boiled eggs and pepperoni slices in a cooler at my desk. Not as yummy but also less likely to over indulge.

I think if I can keep my carbs at 20g or less, calories around 1800 and try and keep my fat around 75+% It may work. I'll test with strips tomorrow to see how my ketones are going.

Thanks again for all the support ladies!! Coming here yesterday really got me to remember I really am starting over and need to get back to the basics!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Mistizoom,
I'm a bit confused though because about half the stuff your eating to me is not clean low-carb. I don't eat any processed foods. I can't do nuts at all (except for macadamia, which I can't afford! lol). Ditto on Diet soda and the Atkins shakes.
I never said I ate clean low carb. Now I'm confused. Keto does not equal "clean". It can be, but doesn't need to be. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
Quote:
Thanks Baylor!!!!!

People used to argue with me all the time that when I go to low in calories I stall. There's a sweet spot, I'm jut a bit lost as to how to find it. I don't want to be making all these fat bomb meal substitutes. First all the sweeteners sets off my cravings, something I'm finally not having after a week of clean eating, and second, I want to eat real food. That's why I don't do the shakes, or diet drinks.

I think your on the right track of what works for me. I remember on Atkins, the cleaner I ate ( also known as Frankenfoods!) the better I always did. Cheese has always been a real problem with me, and for some reason I forgot that. The peanuts were a lazy attempt at eating a handful of something to keep me going. I now have some hard boiled eggs and pepperoni slices in a cooler at my desk. Not as yummy but also less likely to over indulge.

I think if I can keep my carbs at 20g or less, calories around 1800 and try and keep my fat around 75+% It may work. I'll test with strips tomorrow to see how my ketones are going.

Thanks again for all the support ladies!! Coming here yesterday really got me to remember I really am starting over and need to get back to the basics!
That is the goal.. To find your sweet spot. I know where mine is from years of Atkins however even this time, I went slow to make sure I was okay.
The other thing is I give changes lots of time. Because my body reacts crazy to little changes though it does get it eventually.
So for me any change is a two week experiment. Usually a few days in I will have a water gain but then after the full two weeks, I will see the loss and wil continue to lose.

It can take patience but in the end the goal is a plan that works for you.

You got this!
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #22
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
I did atkins for 8-9 weeks and did not move from 219.
I don't think I can do under 20 gm carb and be calorie deficient unless I was @ 1 meal a day, and even so, I'd probably fail 50% of the time.

I am doing OMAD, but holding steady - barely.

I had to start fasting to get the weight to move. Days together, and it actually was not that bad. Rather pleasant after a few days.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
Redhead360
Senior LCF Member

I didn't mean to make that sound like I was judging, and if it came out that way I'm sorry.

I'm just into my second week, so I don't want to be eating stuff like shakes and such. It just makes it way harder for me to get the cravings gone. I guess I think if it as like with Atkins. Most people who have done it for a long time recommend that you skip all the bars and shakes and just focus on learning to eat cleanly and on track in the beginning. I appreciate the menus. It's nice to see someone who eats!

Here's what I had today:

Coffee with 2 oz heavy cream, 2 pieces of bacon and a wedge of wild mushroom Frittata ( basically eggs, cheese, heavy cream and mushrooms)

L: 3 large chicken wings ( gotta love leftovers!)
D: Spinich fritatta, whole artichoke with 3 tab Mayo

25 total carbs ( 11 fiber)
78G Protein
159g Fat
total calories 1830

Still tweeking but no cheese snacks or peanuts today, so I'm feeling improvment. Even baby steps help right?