Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
terdallaujar
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terdallaujar
Stats: 310/184
WOE: Maintaining - low carb
Low Carb Thickening Agent

Most of the threads I have found about an thickening agent are old. Thought I would ask again what everyone uses. I have tried Xanthan Gum and Thick-It-Up and both give me a slimy feel on my tongue that I do not like.

I have Vital Wheat Gluten in my freezer and I can't remember what I purchased it for. Says used for bread, but I do not eat bread. Can this be used? I have tried using quinoa flour, have to use so much then it ends up tasting like uncooked flour.

I also have seen where some use Konjac Glucomannan Powder. I have seen to use cream, eggs, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
terdallaujar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I use glucomannan and sometimes add a pinch of xanthan gum with it. Glucomannan thickens without becoming slimy. Vital wheat gluten is not a thickening agent. I use it in some recipes such as low carb waffles, so more of a flour replacement (but not 1:1 replacement).

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-04-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
You WILL get a slippery mouthfeel with glucomannan if you use too much. That's usually the cause of the slimies - with all the gums/gluc, you really have to start with WAY less than you think you need and proceed cautiously because they WILL overthicken very quickly. Best way I've found with the gluc is to put it in one of those old-timey salt shakers, the metal kind with a big top and a handle, and sprinkle it a little at a time while whisking like mad!

I've also had very good luck making gravies and sauces using Carbquik - I prefer to make a roux with it first, cook it a bit to get the floury taste out, then add the roux to your gravy or sauce while cooking and whisking til you get the consistency you want. Remember too, like any gravy made with flour, it will thicken with cooling.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
lowcarbdad
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbdad
How to thicken a particular recipe really depends on what it is you are trying to thicken. There are methods such as reduction and emulsification that can effectively thicken a liquid without adding any of the traditional "thickeners". It would help to know what types of things you'd like to thicken.
lowcarbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
terdallaujar
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terdallaujar
Stats: 310/184
WOE: Maintaining - low carb
Thank you for your replies. The things that I need a thickener for are pan gravies, beef stew, and the filling of my chicken pot pie.
terdallaujar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Jakelilydad
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
For thickening Cream soups, stews, and gravies, I've had good luck with cream cheese. I've also used gluccomannan and xanthan gum, but those are harder to judge how much.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #7
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: 1400 calories a day/carb cycling
I have used pureed pumpkin for thickening Thanksgiving turkey gravy. It was delicious.

I have also used Lupin flour that gives soup and gravy a really nice taste. (People with peanut allergies have to be careful with Lupin.)

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-08-2017 at 04:44 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #8
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I too like using carbquik for gravies but did find it just a bit different the first couple of times. For me, it seems that when making a roux w/ it, you either need to make a loose roux (meaning not having all the fat used or soaked up by the CQ) or if my roux is tight, I don't cook it but just a second (as in trying to cook the flour) and then whisk in my liquid. I would personally suggest if you haven't used CQ for a gravy, to experiment before you're really needing the gravy. As in don't let the first time be when you're needing it for a chk pie, etc. Just experiment using some fat that you have on hand and get the feel of using CQ instead of flour. I do think that using CQ lends a more grittiness to a gravy but I'm fine w/ that. My son doesn't care for it so I've got him using a blend of half flour and half CQ, which performs just like an all flour roux will.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

I used pureed cauliflower yesterday as a soup thickner for a chicken and cabbage soup. This was so delicious. This is my very tweaked version from a recipe I saw from 12 Tomatoes on FB:

Boil 1 head cauliflower and 2 onions in 6 cups chicken broth. Then puree with immersion blender or regular blender.
Add:
shredded cabbage (l/2 large head green cabbage)
24 ounce jar pasta sauce
6 chicken thighs
Seasoning to taste: I used tomato bullion, s & p, berbere (African spice)
Simmer until fully cooked. I then took the chicken out and shredded it then put it back in the soup.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl69
Stats: 318+/315.0/175 (to start) Size 28+/26/16?
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Came back to LCF Jan 14, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I used pureed cauliflower yesterday as a soup thickner for a chicken and cabbage soup. This was so delicious. This is my very tweaked version from a recipe I saw from 12 Tomatoes on FB:

Boil 1 head cauliflower and 2 onions in 6 cups chicken broth. Then puree with immersion blender or regular blender.
Add:
24 ounce jar pasta sauce
6 chicken thighs
Simmer until fully cooked. I then took the chicken out and shredded it then put it back in the soup.
Omg I wonder if it tasted anything like a doro wat, a Ethiopian stew. I bet BF would eat that. So excited.
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...=881144&page=7
canadiangirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl69 View Post
Omg I wonder if it tasted anything like a doro wat, a Ethiopian stew. I bet BF would eat that. So excited.
Yes. I love doro wat. I have Ethiopian friends who have cooked wonderful meals for me. I have a large bag of berbere and use it in many of my recipes.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes. I love doro wat. I have Ethiopian friends who have cooked wonderful meals for me. I have a large bag of berbere and use it in many of my recipes.
I have a large jar of it, like a large 1kg cheese whiz size jar. There is a wonderful Ethiopian restaurant in the city. I wonder, is teff flour LC? Enjern (spelt wrong I am sure) the flat bread is so good wonder if I can have it?!?
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
Old 01-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have a large jar of it, like a large 1kg cheese whiz size jar. There is a wonderful Ethiopian restaurant in the city. I wonder, is teff flour LC? Enjern (spelt wrong I am sure) the flat bread is so good wonder if I can have it?!?

I think Injera is high carb. Teff flour has a lot of carbs. It is delicious though. I love it with doro wat on a rare occasion.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-21-2017 at 05:36 PM..
Old 01-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think Injera is high carb. Teff flour has a lot of carbs. It is delicious though. I love it with doro wat on a rare occasion.
Thank you for the spelling correction and heads up.
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Eat Fat Get Thin
Start Date: June 2016
Quote:
I've also had very good luck making gravies and sauces using Carbquik - I prefer to make a roux with it first, cook it a bit to get the floury taste out, then add the roux to your gravy or sauce while cooking and whisking til you get the consistency you want. Remember too, like any gravy made with flour, it will thicken with cooling.
I've really struggled with finding a good way to thicken white sauces, and wrecked some recipes using Thick It Up...even a very small amount used has that distinctive slippery feel. I've gotten so discouraged that recently I've just used white flour, as the 2 T. I usually need is only 10 carbs. Still...with all these fancy flours I have now, surely one of them should work, and at less carbs than white flour.

Using CQ, would you use it at the same amount as for white flour? I've tried it and it seems like it didn't work that well, but maybe I should have used more.
SunnyKsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Add:
24 ounce jar pasta sauce
6 chicken thighs
Oh, I love Ethiopian, and can't wait to make this! When I'm getting berbere at the Penzy's spice store, what other African spices should I get???
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #17
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Same amt of CQ as flour for a gravy? To tell you the truth I can't be sure. I just make it and then add enough liquid for the thickness that I want.

Another good spice is zatar, I like the one that My Spice Sage has, another good place to buy spices.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 AM   #18
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
Oh, I love Ethiopian, and can't wait to make this! When I'm getting berbere at the Penzy's spice store, what other African spices should I get???
There are so many spices that make up berbere, that is all I use. I know there is also a yellow spice that I have had in rice. I think it was cumin and corriander and maybe curry. Knorr makes a tomato/chicken bullion that goes really well in some recipes I make.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-22-2017 at 04:32 AM..
Old 01-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
I use Jen Eloff's Thickener from her Simply Splendid Low Carb cook books. Jen used to post on this forum, I don't know if she still does.

If something is just a bit too juicy I use a quick sprinkle of xanthan gum (from a salt shaker to prevent clumping.) But you're right--for sauces and gravies, it gets slippery.

Jen's mixture is a combo of xanthan, guar gum and a bit of cornstarch. I don't know why but the combo seems less objectionable than any one gum by itself. You should be able to do a search on this site for her recipe. (I make it up a cup at a time and keep it on hand.)
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
There are so many spices that make up berbere, that is all I use. I know there is also a yellow spice that I have had in rice. I think it was cumin and corriander and maybe curry. Knorr makes a tomato/chicken bullion that goes really well in some recipes I make.
The yellow might have been from Niter Kibbeh, a spiced ghee type of butter. I used to make my own in big batches but since I eat less of it, doesn't always agree with BF tummy, I just make the amount I need. There are lots of recipes for it online, I tend not to measure and can't find my book that has my recipes it's still packed up or I would give it here.
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #21
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The yellow might have been from Niter Kibbeh, a spiced ghee type of butter. I used to make my own in big batches but since I eat less of it, doesn't always agree with BF tummy, I just make the amount I need. There are lots of recipes for it online, I tend not to measure and can't find my book that has my recipes it's still packed up or I would give it here.
Thanks for the information! I'll have to look up Niter Kibbeh and see what that's about.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I'll have to look up Niter Kibbeh and see what that's about.
I think it gives the food a deeper richer taste. So good with chicken and cabbage
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #23
synger
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 301
WOE: IF, Calorie/carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
For pan gravy, I use butter as a thickener. Remove the food from the pan, deglaze the pan with 1/3-1/2 cup of broth or wine or combo, and stir to get all the tasty bits. Then, instead of thickening it with a roux or corn starch slurry like I used to, I let it reduce (I never did this long enough before) until about half. Then I add a generous pat of butter and continue reducing until it is a lovely, velvety gravy. It doesn't make as much as my old pan gravies, but the flavor is so intense I don't need much.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/20...ing-agent.html

Here is a link to Jennifer Eloff's thickener. I made a batch, but threw it out for some reason when I bought some Thick It Up. I'm going to give it another try. I used it a few times, and don't remember being apalled by it, as I have been by Thick It Up.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #25
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
For thickening fruit fillings, I love Clear Jel. It's only 4 carbs per tablespoon which is half that of corn starch, and does a great job.
I've used xanthan gum and glucomannan and you just have to be sure and use them sparingly.
For soups, pureeing some of the vegetables and adding them can thicken naturally.
And then of course, as others have said, reducing works, but takes time.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #26
shelby'snana
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 5'2"
WOE: healthy / from scratch
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I am thinking of using my xanthan gum in some spicy chicken/bean chili tomorrow and am kinda worried it will not be good. I may puree some of the beans and add some cream cheese 1st and see how that does.

Thanks for those great ideas !!

I have to remember that the person I want so desperately to become is already in me. That person has never gone away.

Laura
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #27
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I am thinking of using my xanthan gum in some spicy chicken/bean chili tomorrow and am kinda worried it will not be good. I may puree some of the beans and add some cream cheese 1st and see how that does.

Thanks for those great ideas !!
I would go with beans pureed and cheddar cheese, but that's just me.
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #28
shelby'snana
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 5'2"
WOE: healthy / from scratch
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
thanks !

I have to remember that the person I want so desperately to become is already in me. That person has never gone away.

Laura
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
thanks !
welcome
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal