Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
yodaaslan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yodaaslan
Stats: 130/128/121/118/112
WOE: WOE Atkins induction and reduced sat fat
Start Date: Sept 2015
Looking for low carb stir fry recipe

Looking for a low carb stir fry recipe.
Have to avoid the sugar/vinegar usually added.
Will maybe drop cornstarch
Use less oyster sauce? Include broth?
Thanks! So grateful for cauli rice!
yodaaslan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
For quick and easy, I love the Seal Sama Sugar-Free Teriyaki sauce that Netrition has: http://www2.netrition.com/seal_sama_...aki_sauce.html
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
yodaaslan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yodaaslan
Stats: 130/128/121/118/112
WOE: WOE Atkins induction and reduced sat fat
Start Date: Sept 2015
thanks

Thanks Mistyzoom, reading the ingredients I think I'll use soy sauce and sesame oil as in a fried cauli rice dish I tried this week.
yodaaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
BWinSF
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BWinSF
Hi,

I love stir-fry and have been cooking it 4-5 times a week for the past 2 years so have some recipes for you. As an FYI it has been wonderful for me. My glucose has gone down significantly and I eat plenty of green, leafy vegetables which have also made my nutrition figures look really good. So congrats for wanting more stir-fry and good luck!

A couple of comments before the recipe: I don’t know why you want to stay away from vinegar as it has no carbs, and adding it to soy sauce really makes for a full flavor. Also, the recipes I have here include some cornstarch. Just so you know most of my recipes call for even more cornstarch than what is here and I haven’t suffered for it, so maybe you don’t have to be so restrictive with it. Don’t forget these ingredients are spread out among, usually, a minimum of 2 servings so even 1 tablespoon of cornstarch isn’t going to be that much.

Whenever a recipe calls for sugar I use truvia or splenda, and brown sugar for me means truvia, molasses and maple extract. I also stay away from hoisin sauce (the dark brown sweet sauce that is on your table at many Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants). It’s loaded with carbs. Finally, they won’t let me list websites on here so I will give you the main page for each recipe. If you need more detail you should be able to find it that way.

Oh, I almost forgot. Your sodium levels will most likely go up. If you are already at a high limit in your sodium intake then check with your doctor before eating a lot of stir-fry. Here you go....

Japanese Eggplant with Chicken & Thai Basil
Thewoksoflife

Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients

For chicken:
8 oz. chicken breast, sliced about ¼-inch thick
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, plus more for cooking
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1½ teaspoons soy sauce

2 Japanese eggplants, cut on an angle into 1½-inch wedges (other eggplant is fine as a substitute)

6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
½ shallot (or scallions, with green part added before chicken stock)
1 cup Thai basil or holy basil, stems removed (can substitute regular basil but do try to find Thai basil)

For sauce:

1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (can substitute dry cherry)
2 teaspoons fish sauce (very popular in Asian stores)
1 teaspoon Thai thin soy sauce (can substitute regular soy sauce)
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (can substitute ½ molasses but can also skip it)
½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
Freshly ground white pepper
sugar to taste

¼ cup hot chicken stock

Instructions

1) Massage chicken with water until completely absorbed, and add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, 1 ½ teaspoons soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch until well incorporated. Set aside.
2) Heat wok over medium-high heat with 2 T oil. Spread the eggplant out evenly in the wok, and let sear with the cover on the wok until golden brown. Turn over and keep adding oil as necessary.
Transfer to a plate.
3) Add 1 T oil to wok and heat until just smoking. Add marinated chicken, and sear for 30 to 60 seconds (depending upon your burner capacity) on each side, and set aside.
4) With the wok over med heat, add another tablespoon of oil, the garlic, shallots, and the basil. Stir fry for 30 seconds, and add the eggplant and chicken.
6)Add Shaoxing wine, and stir everything together. Add the fish sauce, sugar, soy sauces, sesame oil, and white pepper, and stir until everything is combined--about a minute.
7) Pour the chicken stock around the perimeter of the wok to deglaze it. Stir fry until everything is well-combined, and most of the liquid has been absorbed by other ingredients. Serve with steamed jasmine rice!

Drunken Noodles with Chicken
Thaicookinghouse

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Fresh wide rice noodles
1 lb. Chicken, cut into slices
small handful of peppercorns -
1/2 cup Yellow onion (about half), Slice into 1/8" thick pieces.
1 Medium size tomato, cut into wedges
1 1/2 tablespoons Chopped garlic
5-10 Thai chilies, cut in half (any small red chilies are fine. Careful of level of spiciness)
1 1/2 cups Packed hot basil leaves (Thai basil preferable but any basil leaves work)
1 teaspoon sugar substitute
2 tablespoons Fish sauce
1 teaspoon Thai sweet black soy sauce (½ molasses substitute or skip)
2 tablespoons oil

Directions
1. ICrush the garlic and chili together into paste. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. On medium-high heat, add crushed garlic and chili, and peppercorns in the pan. Keep stirring until fragrant, take care not to burn.
3. Add onion and chicken. Keep stirring until chicken is cooked.
4. Add noodles. If the pan gets too dry, sprinkle noodles with water. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add Thai sweet black soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Stir well to mix.
6. Add hot basil. Stir until basil is wilted. Then add tomato. Stir for about 1 minute or less.
7. Remove from heat. Serve on plate.

Thai Basil Beef (Pad Gra Prow)
Thewoksoflife

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil
12 oz. beef, sliced thinly against the grain and do pass-thru marinade
5 cloves garlic, chopped
½ of a red bell pepper, sliced thinly
handful of scallions
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
sweet chili sauce & sugar to taste
1 cup thai basil leaves, packed
cilantro, to garnish

To Cook

Marinade meat in egg white for 20 minutes. Then stir-fry under high heat for 1 minute. Set aside.

Add the garlic and red pepper to the wok and stir-fry for about 20 seconds. Add the onions and stir-fry until browned and slightly caramelized.

Toss the beef back in, along with the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and sweet chili sauce. Stir-fry for another few seconds, and then fold in the Thai basil until it’s just wilted. Serve with jasmine rice, and garnish with cilantro.
The following two are Asian-inspired but aren’t stir-fry, but are fantastic. And much easier to make

PF Chang's Oolong Seabass
Epicurious

Serves 2
INGREDIENTS
Marinade/Sauce:
2 cups water
2/3 cup soy sauce
½-3/4 cup light brown sugar (to taste)
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon oolong tea
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two 1/2-pound sea bass fillets
Optional Garnish:
1 tablespoon oil
6 handfuls fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic drained
1 (15.5 oz) can whole baby sweet corn (6 to 8 baby corns), drained

PREPARATION
1. Make your sauce and marinade by combining the six ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cool uncovered, then strain out the ginger, garlic, and tea.
3. Put your sea bass fillets in a storage bag or a covered container with 2 cups of the marinade. Let the fish have a nice soak in the marinade for 5 to 7 hours in the fridge (1 hour is fine also). If the sauce doesn't completely cover the fish, be sure to turn the fillets a couple hours in so that all sides get marinated.
4. When you are ready to prepare the fish, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the fillets on a baking sheet. Bake the fish for 22 minutes or until the edges of the fillets are starting to turn brown.
5. Crank the oven up to a high broil and broil fish for 2 to 3 minutes or until you get some dark patches around the edge of the fillets. Just don't let them burn.
6. As your fish is baking, heat up a wok or large skillet with one tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the spinach, garlic, and baby sweet corn, and a dash of salt and pepper to the pan. Saute the veggies just until the spinach is wilted, then arrange half of the spinach and corn on each of two plates.
7. When the sea bass is done broiling, use a spatula to carefully lay each fillet on the bed of spinach and baby corn. Split the remaining sauce and pour it over each of the fillets before serving.

P.F. Chang's Steamed Fish with Ginger and Green Onions
cdkitchen

ingredients
4 fish fillets (white fish works best such as cod or sea bass)
1 dash salt
1 dash white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 slices ginger, smashed
3 stalks green onions, smashed

Garnish
2 teaspoons green onions, julienned
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
1 ounce hot (temperature) oil
2 ounces sauce (see recipe below)

Sauce
2 ounces soy sauce
2.5 ounces chicken stock
sugar to taste
fresh cilantro sprigs

Directions
1. Top fish with above ingredients before steaming. Cook fish 7 to 10 minutes, making sure fish doesn't overcook.

2. Remove fish to serving plate. Cover with ginger and green onions. Spread the heated oil over the top to sizzle into the vegetables and fish.

3. Distribute the sauce over the fish. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.*

Sauce Instructions: Mix soy sauce, chicken stock and sugar.

NOTE- Make sure garnish is smothering the fish. Add lemon at very end.
BWinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I make this simple sauce to keep in the fridge and we love it over stir-fries, as a glaze for sesame chicken, etc. You can change it up easily by adjusting the proportions of ingredients to taste, by adding or subtracting spices, using fresh garlic and ginger, etc.

Mix together and simmer until thickened:
3 tbsp no sugar added ketchup, homemade or store-bought (like Heinz)
1/3 Cup sweetener of choice (I use a combination of Swerve, xylitol, and a half-tsp of molasses)
1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp ginger powder
½ tsp toasted sesame oil
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
when i DO stirfry,

I use no thickeners, no starch, or sugary sauces. I just use spices of choice (especially garlic). In the cold weather, I will add a dash of Franks hot sauce. also, as I am hypertensive, I use no salt. I never miss the stuff I leave out. But hey, that's me. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote