Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Frako
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frako
Maintaning desired weight and healthy glucose levels

Hello ALL, I'm a 43M was weighting 194 (highest I ever weight) routinely did a glucose test in the morning and it was 150, totally Freaked out due to parents both been Diabetic ( Genetically predisposed ), went to Md and he suggested blood work to consider meds immediately.
Red about reversing T2 diabetes on Keto/HFLC; limited my carbs to under 20g a day combine with 16/8 intermittent fasting and 10 days later 178 with glucose levels on the 70's fasting and 80's 2 hrs post meal. ALL GOOD, beyond happy with results.
Will call my MD soon to go over blood work results.

QUESTIONS.
1- once I reached my desired weight (165-170), how do I maintain the weight without affecting evil glucose levels and losing more weight.

2- Any long term effects adopting keto as lifestyle ?

3- I have been confusing high fats vs proteins, according to some 1g of protein per body weight and others keep it at maximum of 25g because to much protein will convert into sugars ?

Looking forward to more learning and hopefully contributing my Keto journey.

Thank you all in advanced.

Last edited by Frako; 09-20-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Frako is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
1. Add more fat to your diet to maintain weight without adding carbs or messing with your glucose levels.

2. Health and longevity

3. You should make sure you get sufficient protein given your age, sex and body weight. It would be hard for you to get too much unless you are supplementing. You should probably eat a minimum of 125 g protein/day, higher is also probably fine. If you are eating protein in excess that it affects your blood sugar levels you will know through testing. You might take a look at one of the keto calculators. I like the Ankerl keto calculator if it is still working (couldn't get it to connect right now when I googled).
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think Mistizoom said it very well. I do have an exception with the amount of protein. If your goal weight is 170, the approximate amount of protein should be 85g total. That is probably more than generous and eating less from time to time should not pose any problems. Dr. Ron Rosedale writes some pretty compelling articles on why excess protein can be counter to good health. Worth considering in my opinion.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
1. Add more fat to your diet to maintain weight without adding carbs or messing with your glucose levels.

2. Health and longevity

3. You should make sure you get sufficient protein given your age, sex and body weight. It would be hard for you to get too much unless you are supplementing. You should probably eat a minimum of 125 g protein/day, higher is also probably fine. If you are eating protein in excess that it affects your blood sugar levels you will know through testing. You might take a look at one of the keto calculators. I like the Ankerl keto calculator if it is still working (couldn't get it to connect right now when I googled).

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I agree with Cathy with the protein amount and that would be the upper limit unless you exercise a lot. Dr. Jason Fung also discusses how excess protein can raise insulin levels even if it doesn't raise glucose.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
I agree with Cathy with the protein amount and that would be the upper limit unless you exercise a lot. Dr. Jason Fung also discusses how excess protein can raise insulin levels even if it doesn't raise glucose.
I have multiple issues with Jason Fung and have much more faith in the research of Phinney and Volek when it comes to appropriate protein levels. They do give ranges that are appropriate depending on age, sex, weight, activity level.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I have multiple issues with Jason Fung and have much more faith in the research of Phinney and Volek when it comes to appropriate protein levels. They do give ranges that are appropriate depending on age, sex, weight, activity level.
It's not just Dr. Fung advocating for lower protein levels. Drs. Naiman and Nally also post formulae on their blogs for much lower protein levels. And of course, Dr. Rosedale. I've read Drs. Phinney and Vokek's book The Art and Science of Low Carb Living and I think the book is excellent, but they have spent a lot of time studying athletes, which is quite different then an overweight (obese) middle aged woman or man.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This is a brief explanation of Dr. Rosedale's recommendations for protein.

Quote:
Dr. Ron Rosedale

Dr. Ron Rosedale, a pioneer in leptin research, advocates for a daily protein requirement which is lower than recommended by other experts. He discusses his reasoning (link to his website). Dr. Rosedale associates higher protein intakes with higher blood sugar and says the triggering of the mTOR metabolic pathway and thermogenesis has detrimental effects which translate into a decrease in longevity.

Dr. Rosedale recommends that protein intake equal 1 g/kg of ideal body weight minus 10%. So for instance, if your ideal body weight is 150 pounds:

Divide 150 pounds by 2.2 = 68 kilograms
Multiply 68 x 1 = 68 grams of protein. Now subtract 10%.
Multiply 68 x 10% = 6.8 grams
68 - 6.8 = about 61 grams of protein per day.
It is always going to be highly individual but this is a place to start.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 09-24-2016 at 07:17 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote