Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
cmd1974
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmd1974
Stats: 268/225/160
WOE: Atkins...REAL Foods
Start Date: February 1, 2013
What plan does this sound like to you?

I am trying very hard to work with a friend of mine, whose father is very overweight and unhealthy. I am trying to help her find something he can really commit to long term. He is willing to eliminate sugar and wheat, but still wants to be able to eat healthy carbs in moderation - things like beans, brown rice, quinoa, etc.

Is there a plan that will allow for those things, but also allows dairy (either full or low fat)? Does that sound like South Beach? I want to be able to point them in the direction of a specific plan he can use as a resource, rather than just winging it from the start and not having any kind of structure, guidelines, or nutrition goals.

So in a nutshell he wants to do healthy carbs, meat, dairy, vegetables, and maybe some fruit, but DEFINITELY not low fat. Can some recommend some resources?

Thank you, friends!

"You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end."
cmd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
nolcjunk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think that does sound like South Beach. The first phase is very strict, almost like Induction, and I know you are supposed to eliminate grains/all starchy things for that first period but then you add things back in (much quicker than on Atkins).

The website for the diet must have lots of information and then he can get the book.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-29-2013 at 12:56 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
emel
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
If he's willing to emphasize chicken and fish and de-emphasize red meat, he might do well on the Mediterranean Diet.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Biochic
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 164/156/40 5'2"
Start Date: 6/1/16
Why not just plan menus without worrying about a specific plan? Any change at this point sounds like a good idea for him so meat veggies and good carbs may well be all the change he needs. Ease him into things and avoid a rebellion?
Check out a glycemic index chart and pull stuff from there that is lower on the index.

Goals for 2017

Get my act together
Nothing else matters...

Last edited by Biochic; 07-29-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
lowcarbella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I would recommend Metabolism Miracle Diet or Insulin Resistance diet as a moderate carb diet.They both allow diary and fruits in moderation.Someone coming from a very SAD diet might lose weight.However once the pounds come off,you might experience long stalls due to higher carbs.And then if that happens,transition to low carb like Atkins.
For me those diets gave me cravings bcoz of higher carbs.But it could be a good start for someone not willing to give up all carbs.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
cmd1974
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmd1974
Stats: 268/225/160
WOE: Atkins...REAL Foods
Start Date: February 1, 2013
Great advice and input everyone - thank you!

Biochic - I completely agree that ANY change would be good right now and probably result in a decent loss, just from giving up sugar and fast food (which he eats 3 - 4 times a week). But he is the kind of guy that needs some kind of structure. I also think that being able to reference a specific plan (even 2 or 3, as mentioned here) will give him some insight into why this WOE works and makes sense. He's never really followed a set eating plan, much less a low carb plan. I think it would be helpful to understand some of the science and biology behind it all.

Thanks, again!

"You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end."
cmd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
emel
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to add---

Years ago my dad was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. My mom started cooking no white flour, no sugar, watch the carbs (like have broccoli instead of a potato). She lost 40 pounds, and Daddy, who really didn't need to lose a lot, got down from 170-something to his perfect 165.

She said the biggest challenge was finding something for desserts/sweet tooth---she didn't know how to bake with artificial sweeteners, and Daddy was notorious for wanting a bowl of corn flakes with milk in the evenings. So they got into the habit of keeping citrus around for desserts in the winter, and she'd make fruit salad or cut up a melon in the summer.

Oh and one other trick I remember is that they swore off orange juice and had the diet ocean spray cranberry juice instead, and they kept those cans of sugar free minute maid lemonade around.

Last edited by emel; 07-29-2013 at 07:15 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Biochic
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 164/156/40 5'2"
Start Date: 6/1/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd1974 View Post
Great advice and input everyone - thank you!

Biochic - I completely agree that ANY change would be good right now and probably result in a decent loss, just from giving up sugar and fast food (which he eats 3 - 4 times a week). But he is the kind of guy that needs some kind of structure. I also think that being able to reference a specific plan (even 2 or 3, as mentioned here) will give him some insight into why this WOE works and makes sense. He's never really followed a set eating plan, much less a low carb plan. I think it would be helpful to understand some of the science and biology behind it all.

Thanks, again!
I can relate to that

Goals for 2017

Get my act together
Nothing else matters...
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/246/ 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15
Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Allows potatoes and rice. He isn't against beans if soaked properly and not canned. It is a fun read as well and has the benefit of being anti inflammatory.

The main no nos are flour sugar and vegetable oil (real butter and olive oil are allowed).

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I would second the Primal Blueprint as well
Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
tttmom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: start 9-5-17 183.1/180/160
I would recommend Primal Blueprint. And after that, if help is needed with planning/preparing meals, there is also several Primal Blueprint cookbooks. Our fave is the Quick & Easy one.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
emel
Major LCF Poster!

I get a lot of good facts from Sisson. Best oils, how to soak nuts, all sorts of good info. Well worth a read even if you don't follow Primal Blueprint.