Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
denzel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denzel
Stats: 264/165/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 9/21/10
Pork rind breading help

I've been "breading" and deep frying lots of stuff with seasoned ground pork rinds. I've had good luck with chicken tenders and pork chops. I made a couple of pork chops tonight, and they were fantastic.

I also attempted to make some onion rings and used the same process. I dipped them in beaten egg, and then dredged them in the seasoned ground up pork rinds. I couldn't get a great deal of the pork rinds to stick to the onion rings and only ended up with about half of them that looked like they'd be good. They fried up nicely, but weren't completely coated. They were still delicious and a great treat after having been eating low carb for over three months.

Does anyone have tips for getting the rinds to coat the onions more evenly?
denzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
pooticus
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Do you have any carbolose flour or carbquick? You need to dust the onion rings in a dry flour-type thing before dipping in the egg then the pork rind mixture. The dry makes it stick better. You could maybe try making a fine powder with you parmesan cheese and whey protein powder and garlic and paprika and cayenne. That might be dry and powdery enough to do it.

Then let the onion rings sit breaded for about 30 minutes before frying. It will help it stay on during frying.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
denzel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denzel
Stats: 264/165/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 9/21/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Do you have any carbolose flour or carbquick? You need to dust the onion rings in a dry flour-type thing before dipping in the egg then the pork rind mixture. The dry makes it stick better. You could maybe try making a fine powder with you parmesan cheese and whey protein powder and garlic and paprika and cayenne. That might be dry and powdery enough to do it.

Then let the onion rings sit breaded for about 30 minutes before frying. It will help it stay on during frying.
Thanks for the fast reply. I had avoided buying any carbquick because the pork rinds work great on all the meat I've fried, and they're carb free. I'll have to buy some carbquick and trying dusting the onions first next time.

It was really nice to be able to eat some onion rings, even though they didn't turn out perfect. I've done really well on this diet so far, and have come to see it as a lifestyle change rather than something temporary. I eat lots of fresh meats, seafood, and fresh vegetables now, and very little fast food or prepared foods. I also cook at home a lot more often. I didn't realize how much pure processed junk I was eating before, and frankly couldn't imagine ever going back. This is a great forum, and really helps me to keep my meals from getting too boring.
denzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
This might give you some ideas.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tizer-pic.html
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
sistertzu
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Maybe try roasting it in the oven instead of deep frying, the coating might stay on better. Use the same method of coating, drizzle with oil or butter and roast in a hot oven till done to your liking.

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I also find that using eggwhites only, not the whole egg, makes the stuff stick better to my food. I just whip them up a bit til frothy, season if you like (I love putting a little Frank's hot sauce in the whites for a lot of things I fry) and then do your dipping/dredging.

Also, I press the food firmly into the crumbs - and if you have the time and patience, after coating, refrigerate the food in a single layer for about 30 minutes. It helps "set" the crust and it won't fall off so easily.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote