Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Access Fat and ketosis

Once your body is in Ketosis can access Fat be converted into glucose?

After reading this from Do Fat & Protein Turn Into Glucose? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Fat and protein can both be converted into glucose if necessary through a process called gluconeogenesis. The use of proteins or fat for gluconeogenesis requires more energy than the more straightforward metabolism of starches and sugar into glucose.

I know access protein can be but i didn't realize fat could also or have i misread this?

Looking for a translator who speaks layamn's
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Zed
Senior LCF Member

How good is the 3rd icon above (confused) lol

btw with my average English that's me most of the time when reading English articles

Last edited by Zed; 03-02-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
no you didn't misread that is correct.

Turning on Layman translator:...

The body needs specific amino acids and specific fatty acids to put together to make glucose, so if you are not eating ANYTHING , your body will take apart protein from the body, muscles, to get those specific amino acids and the body will take apart stored fat to get the specific fatty acids.

These then go through a process and are changed and combined to make glucose for the body parts that can't use fat and ketones.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Zed
Senior LCF Member

OK so only if your not eating enough got ya thanks, so if on a diet which is around Fat 70% Proteins 20% and Carbs it should not.

btw you can turn of your layman's for dummies translator now

Last edited by Zed; 03-02-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I need to leave it on, I ramble too much some times.

The body will do this anytime it needs glucose and doesn't have any stored in the liver. It happens whether you eat enough or not.

The key to keeping it safe is to eat dietary protein, meat, that provides the specific amino acids. Your body can get the fat from the diet and from the body.

Keeping your dietary protein above minimum will protect the muscles from being used. Keeping carbs low will keep the process going longer.
Keeping Fats high will give you calories to use to keep the body from believing that it is starving.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Zed
Senior LCF Member

metqa what would you call above minimum Protein when reading about this some suggest 0.7g per kg some up to 1.5g per kg body weight?

Good thing you left it on lol
Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think somewhere tween those two is safe, about 1g per Kilo lean body weight, and then you have to find your own lean body weight. I think it's okay to go a little over in estimation cause your body uses it primarily for repair and building anyway, and the extra protein for glucose generation will be used

If you are athletic or body builder or pregnant or growing child, it's more protein needed.
IBKKF 898
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Ευχαριστώ metqa with a Q :-)

Last edited by Zed; 03-03-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you are more than welcome!
IBKKF 898