Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TMB
Help with exracts

Wanting to make pineapple extract but not sure if I can make it where there are no carbs or very low in carbs. I have made extracts before but never with pineapple and not sure if the carbs will leach into the vodka

Any help would be great thanks

Tommy (TMB)
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Tommy!
Never made my own extracts before, so I can't help you on that,, but there's someone around here that can, so hang around.

Care to share recipes and methods?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Are you wanting to make extracts for baking purposes, or for drinking purposes?

If for baking, you might want to do a Google search on "making pineapple extract" - it's recommended to use canned pineapple because the bromelain in it will have been destroyed by the canning process. Otherwise it can interfere with some baking processes.

If for drinking, fresh pineapple should work fine. I believe I've read of people making it with fresh ripe pineapple rinds, from which the fruit had been cut for other purposes.

Either way, I doubt you'd be using enough of it at any given time to worry overly much about a few stray carbs from it in the alcohol base.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Are you wanting to make extracts for baking purposes, or for drinking purposes?

If for baking, you might want to do a Google search on "making pineapple extract" - it's recommended to use canned pineapple because the bromelain in it will have been destroyed by the canning process. Otherwise it can interfere with some baking processes.

If for drinking, fresh pineapple should work fine. I believe I've read of people making it with fresh ripe pineapple rinds, from which the fruit had been cut for other purposes.

Either way, I doubt you'd be using enough of it at any given time to worry overly much about a few stray carbs from it in the alcohol base.
Thanks. I will be making jerky with it and adding to bourbon BBQ sauce that I make. I'm trying to stay below 30 grams of carbs per day and every one counts

I had been using drink mix for this but do not like the fact it contains aspartame. Since I started my new eating I'm off ALL meds and down 48lbs so I really want to make this work
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

You're doing great! Congrats!

It pays to be vigilant but I also give myself a little slack on stuff like BBQ sauce and jerky. How much do you put into those recipes, and then how much of it do you actually eat? I think it's probably pretty miniscule.

If you're really concerned about it though, DaVinci Syrups make an awesome sugarfree pineapple syrup which comes in a 750 ml bottle. At least, they USED to make that flavor, haven't checked lately.

And, the Mexican markets near me sell pineapple extract (in small bottles like vanilla extract would come in) so that's another possibility.

But honestly, I don't think you'd get much leaching of carbs into a bottle of extract made with vodka or whatever you use, and the few tablespoons you put in your recipe would not contain much if any. JMHO though, years of doing LC this way and things like that never seemed to affect me.

We make a pepper extract using sliced Serrano peppers and a bottle of vodka - it's awesome stuff in Bloody Marys!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
You're doing great! Congrats!

It pays to be vigilant but I also give myself a little slack on stuff like BBQ sauce and jerky. How much do you put into those recipes, and then how much of it do you actually eat? I think it's probably pretty miniscule.

If you're really concerned about it though, DaVinci Syrups make an awesome sugarfree pineapple syrup which comes in a 750 ml bottle. At least, they USED to make that flavor, haven't checked lately.

And, the Mexican markets near me sell pineapple extract (in small bottles like vanilla extract would come in) so that's another possibility.

But honestly, I don't think you'd get much leaching of carbs into a bottle of extract made with vodka or whatever you use, and the few tablespoons you put in your recipe would not contain much if any. JMHO though, years of doing LC this way and things like that never seemed to affect me.

We make a pepper extract using sliced Serrano peppers and a bottle of vodka - it's awesome stuff in Bloody Marys!
Thanks! Feel great and lower carbs is my life style now for sure.

My BBQ sauce I make is 2 carbs per 2 Tbs so not bad at all and the jerky is around 1 carb for 2 strips avg size 4 in's long made from London broil or shoulder blade. I'll give Mexican markets a try never thought of those having it. To be honest I prefer making my own if possible cause you really never know what folks use in their recipes and sometime I don't want to find out

Thanks,

Tommy
Old 09-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

LOL Tommy, I totally get that, and I agree! We love making our own stuff, from canning all kinds of good things to eat, to making linked sausages, to brewing beer and wine, and much more. Now that we're both retired, we have time to do fun things like that whenever we want!

Old 09-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
Thanks! Feel great and lower carbs is my life style now for sure.

My BBQ sauce I make is 2 carbs per 2 Tbs so not bad at all and the jerky is around 1 carb for 2 strips avg size 4 in's long made from London broil or shoulder blade. I'll give Mexican markets a try never thought of those having it. To be honest I prefer making my own if possible cause you really never know what folks use in their recipes and sometime I don't want to find out

Thanks,

Tommy
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Will you share your bbq sauce recipe with us?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Will you share your bbq sauce recipe with us?
If I can get an OK from a buddy of mine. I swore I wouldn't give it out since he is trying to bottle it but I will ask
Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Ok, I understand. Thanks TMB.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
BBQ sauce

If your buddy does get it marketed are you allowed to give us the name so we can buy it too?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
If your buddy does get it marketed are you allowed to give us the name so we can buy it too?
Thanks
Sure I will pass out the info when it makes it out on the market. Good stuff