Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Egg Salad....Chicken Salad....Bored Out Of My Mind

I'm looking for ideas on what to make next. So far, egg and chicken salad have worked really well. I started out buying them, but there was so much sugar added I had to make my own. It's not a problem, since I use my Instant Pot and that cuts down the work, but I want something different.

Any ideas? I like the "salad" idea because I have to take meds in the morning and it's quick and easy to eat when I don't feel like eating.

I got the smoked trout and smoked oysters, but that can get kind of expensive. Maybe in an egg salad. Maybe some smoked salmon. I have the smoked salmon cream cheese. I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 03:26 AM   #2
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Cesar salad with bacon, no crutons. If you go really light with the dressing but add extra parmesan (fresh, I hope!) it's really satisfying.

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
I make Chicken Eggs....you ban make this smaller but I have a family who loves them so I make a lot.

12 Hard Boiled Eggs(remove yolks and set aside)

2 Cups Finely Chopped Chicken
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup Brown Mustard
1/4 Cup Parsley
1/4 Cup Dill Relish
1/8 Cup Dill Weed
1/2 Cup Minced Celery
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add in the mashed yolks

Fill each egg half with a mound of Chicken mixture(I use a small scoop) then enjoy.

I also make a Ham Salad for my Husband that's easy

4 Cups Finely Chopped Ham
1 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup minced Celery
1/2 Cup Minced Green Onions
1/4 Cup Sweet Pickled Relish or Minced Gherkins
1 tsp. Ground Pepper
2 tsp. Smoked Paprika

Mix together and enjoy!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I love crab salad. It is a tin of crab meat mixed with a tiny bit of chopped celery and mayo, salt and pepper.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
terez
Major LCF Poster!

These are all great ideas! Thank you! How long does the crab stay fresh? I tend to make things in big batches to store in the refrigerator.

I also might make a smoked trout "salad", too. But I would add all kinds of celery and diced up water chestnuts and all with it. If it's smoked, it might last longer.

I also saw a "chowder" made with bacon and smoked trout over the weekend. I'm not sure what would take the place of the potatoes, though. I think it will work when colder weather hits.

With my nasal allergies, I used to have to have everything as bland as could be, but now I'm finding I can tolerate more cooking smells.

Last edited by terez; 08-31-2017 at 06:06 AM..
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think crab is good in the fridge for a few days. I make a can and eat it over 2 days.

I would use chopped cauli in place of the potatoes. Wish smoked trout could be found around here. That sounds delish!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #7
Happy Bubbles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy Bubbles
I know this won't help with your boredom issue but I LOVE egg salad and here's a tip I learned a few years ago. I used to grate the eggs but now, with very clean hands, I pinch them apart into little chunks about the size of my thumbnail. It was kinda' slippery when I grated it and now it's more substantial and soooo much yummier.
Happy Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think crab is good in the fridge for a few days. I make a can and eat it over 2 days.

I would use chopped cauli in place of the potatoes. Wish smoked trout could be found around here. That sounds delish!!!
I'm pretty sure it's a standard delicatessen food. Or can be found in a larger supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Bubbles View Post
I know this won't help with your boredom issue but I LOVE egg salad and here's a tip I learned a few years ago. I used to grate the eggs but now, with very clean hands, I pinch them apart into little chunks about the size of my thumbnail. It was kinda' slippery when I grated it and now it's more substantial and soooo much yummier.
You're way more ambitious than I am. It never occurred to me to grate any eggs. I used smoked almonds instead of bacon because it's easier.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Use the stemmy parts of the cauliflower, cubed up, in place of potatoes in your chowder. It's actually quite good that way!

Would you be into making Scotch eggs? They're so simple to "grab and go" in the morning.

Hardboil and peel your eggs, then wrap with bulk sausage. A pound of sausage will do about 5 eggs. Bake at 400* til the sausage is done, about 20-25 minutes. You can eat them hot, cold, warm, throw them in a lunch pack or even your purse if you need to take a snack with you and you'll be eating it within 4 hours (refrigerated temp to start out of course).

And how about some of the egg muffin recipes? Another one that's quick to fix and gives you a bunch of good stuff to eat when you just want to grab something!

Heck even the little cream cheese muffins are great for that and they whip up quickly too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Bubbles View Post
They make egg slicers that will cut a hard boiled egg into tiny pieces. You first put the egg in one way, which slices it, then turn the egg the other way to dice it. I used to use my egg slicer to make egg salad but now I just cut the eggs into about six or eight large pieces for chunkier egg salad. It seems more satisfying with large bites of egg.

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Linda Sue, my mom used to have one of those. It was always my job to cut up the HB eggs when I was little, one of my first kitchen tasks. Thanks for the blast from the past!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
We have two of those egg slicers (for some reason!) and I do just what Linda Sue says - cut crosswise, then turn lengthwise and cut again. Works pretty well!

They're great for slicing mushrooms too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I stick them all into a big bowl, all soft and still warm, and then run a knife through them all, slicing them all up. And then I turn the bowl and slice again. Then I take a huge fork and mush the egg yolks and a lot of the whites together. It's creamy with some chunks together. I do about 3 dozen at a time. Then slather in the mayonnaise, red onion, broken up smoked almonds and regular mustard. Done!

I like the idea of one minute muffins and cream cheese muffins, too.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
terez
Major LCF Poster!

So, today, I got salmon bacon, smoked salmon in a can and large pieces of smoked trout from Trader Joe's. This will all be for the partly egg salad, along with some toasted pine nuts and maybe some red and yellow sweet peppers, all cut up. Maybe the salmon bacon will be for sandwiches and not for the egg salad.

And chicken salad will have regular French's mustard, Macadamia nuts, pecans, hearts of palm and other things I can throw in there. Maybe some smoked almonds. Plus some cooked shallots, maybe. I got a bunch of those today, too.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #15
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Tiny salad shrimp...make just like chicken salad but use the shrimp instead. They are often called bay shrimp and tails are removed. They are usually sold fully cooked. I get them at Sam's.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Tiny salad shrimp...make just like chicken salad but use the shrimp instead. They are often called bay shrimp and tails are removed. They are usually sold fully cooked. I get them at Sam's.
You mean like the itty bitty ones in the can? I wonder how long they would stay fresh, though. It's a great idea for a change. I don't have a Sam's membership, but I could probably find the same thing in a Walmart Supercenter.

I did look at the fake crab meat, though. No way, even my cat wouldn't eat it and she was a fanatic when it came to seafood.

I also got more of the Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese to smear on bread in a pinch.

For the chicken, I also bought some Black Forest Ham. Also, maybe some hearts of palm.

No seafood will come near the chicken.

I have to say that the Instant Pot takes a lot of the work out of making both.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemysugar View Post
I make Chicken Eggs....you ban make this smaller but I have a family who loves them so I make a lot.

12 Hard Boiled Eggs(remove yolks and set aside)

2 Cups Finely Chopped Chicken
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup Brown Mustard
1/4 Cup Parsley
1/4 Cup Dill Relish
1/8 Cup Dill Weed
1/2 Cup Minced Celery
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add in the mashed yolks

Fill each egg half with a mound of Chicken mixture(I use a small scoop) then enjoy.

I also make a Ham Salad for my Husband that's easy

4 Cups Finely Chopped Ham
1 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup minced Celery
1/2 Cup Minced Green Onions
1/4 Cup Sweet Pickled Relish or Minced Gherkins
1 tsp. Ground Pepper
2 tsp. Smoked Paprika

Mix together and enjoy!!!
They both look really good. I'm so afraid to make a mistake and hate the whole batch. Pickle Relish and Dill Weed aren't my favorite foods, so I tend more to the smoky flavors. That way I can skip the salt without missing it. I also really REALLY like the basic French's mustard, I don't know why. I tried Dijon and I have the brown mustard, but I like the hotdog mustard the best.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
terez
Major LCF Poster!

So, I opened the "Salmon Bacon" today. I ate the entire package. But it was good and zero carbs and not that much calories and not too much sodium. It was dinner. I couldn't resist it, but I also don't think it would have done well in my egg salad. Too mushy. It was like smoked salmon in the long packages. Plus it was farm raised and "formed" into shapes.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
terez
Major LCF Poster!

So, I made egg salad again today and it's not so boring. I put in a package of smoked trout-without the skin-with diced water chestnuts, red onion, smoked almonds, regular French's mustard and mayonnaise. It's very good, except I went a little over board on the mustard. I only used 2 dozen eggs in case I hated it.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I made a chicken salad today. I was aiming for a sweeter, milder flavor, so I opted for the Dijon mustard instead of the French's. I also added a package of Black Forest ham, cut up in tiny squares. Plus, two cans of diced water chestnuts, red onion, one small shallot, microwaved and cut up, a small dash of minced, dried onion, about a half cup of toasted pecan pieces, some Macadamia nuts, and a few smoked almonds. Plus zero carb mayonnaise. How could it not be delicious?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #21
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Thanks for posting all your ideas. Some of them are too high carb for me, but your creative combinations are always fun to read about.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #22
Sunshine11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine11
Stats: 228/145/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: January 2013
When I did an egg fast I tried the fried hard boiled eggs with yum yum sauce. Did care for the fried hard boiled eggs but loved the yum yum sauce.
1/2 cup sugar free mayo
1TBS sugar substitute
1TBS apple cider vinegar
1TBS melted butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
Mix all together.
I just added as much as need for 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs. I enjoyed the slightly sweet and sour taste it had.
Sunshine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine11 View Post
When I did an egg fast I tried the fried hard boiled eggs with yum yum sauce. Did care for the fried hard boiled eggs but loved the yum yum sauce.
1/2 cup sugar free mayo
1TBS sugar substitute
1TBS apple cider vinegar
1TBS melted butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
Mix all together.
I just added as much as need for 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs. I enjoyed the slightly sweet and sour taste it had.
I never thought about egg salad being sweet and sour. That's a great idea. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't be so bored.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Thanks for posting all your ideas. Some of them are too high carb for me, but your creative combinations are always fun to read about.
Thanks! The cans of water chestnuts and other things are pretty high carb in themselves, but over 12 servings, they're not that bad. But I see your point.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #25
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
You mean like the itty bitty ones in the can? I wonder how long they would stay fresh, though. It's a great idea for a change. I don't have a Sam's membership, but I could probably find the same thing in a Walmart Supercenter.

I did look at the fake crab meat, though. No way, even my cat wouldn't eat it and she was a fanatic when it came to seafood.

I also got more of the Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese to smear on bread in a pinch.

For the chicken, I also bought some Black Forest Ham. Also, maybe some hearts of palm.

No seafood will come near the chicken.

I have to say that the Instant Pot takes a lot of the work out of making both.
No, I meant the little fully cooked frozen bay shrimp in bags.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #26
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
No, I meant the little fully cooked frozen bay shrimp in bags.
You know, after I posted that, I thought of those salad shrimp that come in bags frozen. That's an idea. With peas.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #27
synger
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 288
WOE: IF, Calorie/carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
You can also mix up the seasonings to make different styles of egg salad or deviled eggs.

I sometimes add chili powder and a bit of hot sauce. Or curry powder (a big hit at church picnics)

And if you want a bit of smoky flavor but don't have bacon cooked up, try getting some smoked paprika. Very easy to add to just about anything for a little smokiness.

I'm another one who loves ham salad, so I make chicken, ham, egg, and shrimp salad fairly often.

Oh, and if you save bacon grease, you can use it to make a lovely bacon mayonnaise. Just substitute half (or more) bacon grease for the oil in your favorite recipe. The more bacon grease the less stiff it is, but it's spreadable when it's cold.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #28
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
You can also mix up the seasonings to make different styles of egg salad or deviled eggs.

I sometimes add chili powder and a bit of hot sauce. Or curry powder (a big hit at church picnics)

And if you want a bit of smoky flavor but don't have bacon cooked up, try getting some smoked paprika. Very easy to add to just about anything for a little smokiness.

I'm another one who loves ham salad, so I make chicken, ham, egg, and shrimp salad fairly often.

Oh, and if you save bacon grease, you can use it to make a lovely bacon mayonnaise. Just substitute half (or more) bacon grease for the oil in your favorite recipe. The more bacon grease the less stiff it is, but it's spreadable when it's cold.

You have a lot of great ideas! Thank you!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #29
Opp2mystic1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Opp2mystic1
Stats: 155/155/140
WOE: Atkins
I use an old fashioned potato masher for egg salad. works great for a chunky salad.
Opp2mystic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #30
Kimberli33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /194/155
Start Date: June 2015
Cucumber and tomato salad