Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann1
Can't find a "good" brownie recipe!

Friends, please help! I have made the ultimate brownie recipe, the ultimate keto brownie recipe, and like 3 others. I still cannot find one that really taste "good". Am I expecting too much of a low carb brownie? I'm tired of wasting all my expensive ingredients only to be let down again. Is their a tasty recipe that I just have not tried yet?
Ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Ann, what did you find objectionable about The Ultimate Brownie? I've tried many, and this is the clear winner. Deep, fudge flavor and moist, chewy texture (provided you followed the recipe accurately and didn't make substitutions or omissions.) And I'm a retired chef who spent several years as a caterer/pastry chef, so I'm a tough critic. You will be very hard pressed to make a LC brownie that tastes better than this one.

I'm mystified, as I've had people who are non-LCers go bonkers for those brownies. My husband's boss had his mother call me, just to get that recipe, after my husband split one of the brownies with him.

When approaching LC baked goods, breads, pasta, etc. it's wise not to expect them to be exactly like their HC counterpart. The reality is that they can't be exactly like what you're used to. They contain no sugar or wheat, which are proportionally the biggest contributors to taste and texture in conventional HC baked goods.

LC is a commitment to a new lifestyle and abundant health. There are so many really good recipes that approximate the yummy, carb laden foods that made it necessary for us to go LC in the first place. It's knowing that we can have these without blowing our diet, without that crushing guilt, that makes getting accustomed to (and learning to like) LC baked goods so very worthwhile to so many of us.

If you approach every recipe by the metric of if it's exactly like the HC foods you are wanting to duplicate, I'm afraid that you're going to be disappointed pretty much every time. In order to live successfully the LC way, it's necessary to make some adjustments to expectations. And after awhile, those adjustments become second nature to you. Your "new normal."

I don't know how long you've been following LC. If you're relatively new to it, then your palate still "remembers" what the HC version tastes like. So you bake something LC, and first you get a bad case of cognitive dissonance, and then you become frustrated.

When you're just starting out, sticking with a very low carb count (induction phase) for a few weeks, as long as directed, or as long as you possibly can, is crucial to long term success. Yes, that means no LC treats for awhile. That's a big part of the reason so many LC diets start with an induction phase. It is there not only to get your body accustomed to functioning well with many fewer carbs than you're used to, but it's also to retrain your palate. Both those results will help you to live successfully on the LC regimen for the rest of your life. You learn to actually enjoy foods that aren't as sweet as what you had in your pre-LC days.

I'm very sorry you disliked the Ultimate Brownie and feel you wasted your expensive ingredients. We can all relate to that. If each of us had the dollars refunded on unsuccessful recipes we have tried, we'd have a small fortune. Some things work for some people, but not for others. That's just the way it is with LC and all those big bucks designer ingredients. Some recipes are just plain bad (not here. On various random blogs.) I assure you, this isn't one of them. If it turned out badly, PM me, tell me more, and I'd be happy to troubleshoot with you.

If at some time you find a better recipe, please be sure to post it here, because we would all love to have it! All the best to you in your search.

Last edited by Baricat; 08-25-2017 at 09:37 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oh... just happened to think. Don't pitch those brownies! You can cut them into small pieces, make some vanilla and chocolate sugar free puddings, and layer them with brownie bites in between each to make a gorgeous and delicious trifle in a pretty, clear glass bowl. Top with lots of freshly-whipped cream and a grating of chocolate. Voilą! An easy, fast, and elegant dessert to salvage your otherwise wasted ingredients. The flavor and texture of the brownies aren't nearly so crucial or noticeable when you combine them with other ingredients.

And if you're not immediately in need of a dessert right at the moment, you can freeze the brownies until such a time as you are.

Last edited by Baricat; 08-25-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Where can we find the Ultimate Brownie recipe? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Where can we find the Ultimate Brownie recipe? Thanks!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...&postcount=328
Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Ann: crack 1 egg into a microwave safe mug or small bowl, beat with a fork and add 2tsp melted butter, 1T dark cocoa powder (unsweetened) and 1-2pkts sweetener of your choice. Mix well .
If it seems real dry, add 2tsp-1T water or heavy cream.
Microwave for 45 seconds and let it sit for 1 minute before eating

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Ann1 - have you tried black bean brownies? They are very good, IMO and I've served them to many non-low carbers who have been really surprised to learn the ingredients. You can do a search right on this board for a recipe.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote