Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Mackerel, Anyone?

The canned stuff, I mean. The only person I've ever heard talk about it was a friend's son just home from prison, and he went on and on and on....and I won't even tell you the words he used to describe the smell on Fridays when they had it. You're welcome.
Anyhow, on the internet I've read it's pretty comparable to canned tuna, maybe more skin and bones, but it's got less mercury than tuna cause it's lower (or higher?) on the feeding chain. And otherwise nutritionally comparable to canned tuna or salmon.
I've cut way back on tuna sandwiches that have always been my very favorite. Mayo. boiled eggs, dill pickles, YUM! :yummy
I like to make salmon patties, too, but gosh, mackerel costs about a third.
Any opinions or suggestions?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I love the trader joe's smoked mackerel. Delicious on crackers with a little cream cheese.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I love the trader joe's smoked mackerel. Delicious on crackers with a little cream cheese.
I hear ya'll talk about TJ's and I want to cry. I'm stuck here in north central AR with only a really lousy WalMart, a Harp's that won't even double coupons and a Cost Saver, 65 miles from Little Rock. As far as I know the nearest Trader Joe's is in Florida, the nearest Costco must be in Texas or California, but I did find an Aldi's is in Fayetteville area, but that's 150 miles down the road.
I have been shopping at WalMart.com lately so I can get all kinds of things this local WM never heard of. Place order online and pick it up locally in 2 or 3 days so that helps some.
But thanks for the heads up about the smoked mackerel at TJ's, if I ever pass one, I'll stop and get me some! Can you order from them online I wonder?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post
The canned stuff, I mean. The only person I've ever heard talk about it was a friend's son just home from prison, and he went on and on and on....and I won't even tell you the words he used to describe the smell on Fridays when they had it. You're welcome.
Anyhow, on the internet I've read it's pretty comparable to canned tuna, maybe more skin and bones, but it's got less mercury than tuna cause it's lower (or higher?) on the feeding chain. And otherwise nutritionally comparable to canned tuna or salmon.
I've cut way back on tuna sandwiches that have always been my very favorite. Mayo. boiled eggs, dill pickles, YUM! :yummy
I like to make salmon patties, too, but gosh, mackerel costs about a third.
Any opinions or suggestions?

BTW, I didn't mean to but the "sickly green" imogie by the question about canned mackerel, only by the guy's description of what he thought about it.

I actually hope I like the canned mackerel.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I buy only Wild Planet canned fish--and I love their mackerel.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote