Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
L C Sourdough Bread

Anyone have a recipe?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Just this week in my inbox from Buttoni's Low-Carb Recipes was a recipe for Individual Rye Bread. looks pretty good and easy, too. Check it out!

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

And if you're more ambitious, there's this: http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=887025

I'm looking for another one, too, she does white, whole wheat and rye.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Try this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=869504

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Don't know where I went

Well... I was looking for Buttoni's blog about Einkorn and got sidetracked to rye bread?!?

Anyway, Buttoni has been doing a lot of work with Einkorn, and I got all excited about that, and then I've been wanting to do sour dough also, and Wardee over at Traditional Cooking School has been doing Einkorn sourdough and it all got jumbled up in my little pea brain.

Ya'll forgive me don't ya?

It's 4:30 and that's close enough to 5:00 here in CDT, and I think it's time for a Scotch on the rocks!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post

Well... I was looking for Buttoni's blog about Einkorn and got sidetracked to rye bread?!?

Anyway, Buttoni has been doing a lot of work with Einkorn, and I got all excited about that, and then I've been wanting to do sour dough also, and Wardee over at Traditional Cooking School has been doing Einkorn sourdough and it all got jumbled up in my little pea brain.

It's 4:30 and that's close enough to 5:00 here in CDT, and I think it's time for a Scotch on the rocks!
OK, that right there made me forgive ya!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post

Hey, Tere...I'm glad you made the mistake. I love Barbo's rye bread! Thanks, for reminding me to make it again Hope you enjoyed your scotch...I'm enjoying my wine
Old 08-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Thanks, Char I knew you would be helpful.....just don't know if I want to buy all those ingredients and it sounds time consuming . I was hoping for a simpler recipe. Think I'll continue buying Healthy Life sourdough bread at the grocery store. It's 6 net carbs per slice. The flavor is not as strong, but it's good.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I've tried using a little citric acid to the LC white bread recipe that I use (credit to Kevinpa's) to simulate sour dough. It's simple to do, and the flavor is good, but it tends to ****** rising.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
THELOU
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
I found this on line Sounds good

SOUR DOUGH BREAD

Dry ingredients:
1 ½ cup almond flour (150 g / 5.3 oz)
⅓ cup psyllium husk powder (40 g / 1.4 oz)
½ cup coconut flour (60 g / 2.1 oz)
½ cup flaxmeal (75 g / 2.6 oz)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (pink Himalayan or sea salt)
Wet ingredients:
6 large egg whites
2 large eggs
¾ cup low-fat buttermilk (180 g/ 6.5 oz) - full-fat would make them too heavy and they may not rise
¼ cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
1 cup lukewarm water (240 ml / 8 fl oz)
Lukewarm water in this recipe will slow down the raising effect of baking soda. I tried both boiling water and lukewarm and although it made no difference for baguettes, some people have been experiencing air bubbles / hollow insides when making a loaf. More tips on the perfect loaf are listed here.
For a paleo, dairy-free option, try this recipe instead of the buttermilk. Make sure you use a kitchen scale for measuring all the dry ingredients. Using just cups may not be enough to achieve best results, especially in baked goods. Weights per cups and tablespoons may vary depending on the product/ brand or if you make you own ingredients (like flaxmeal from flaxseeds). Psyllium absorbs lots of water. When baking with psyllium, you must remember to drink enough water throughout the day to prevent constipation!
· Preheat the oven to 180 C / 360 F. Use a kitchen scale to measure all the ingredients carefully. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (almond flour, coconut flour, ground flaxseed, psyllium powder, baking soda, and salt).
Do not use whole psyllium husks - if you cannot find psyllium husk powder, use a blender or coffee grinder and process until fine. If you get already prepared psyllium husk powder, remember to weigh it before adding to the recipe. I used whole psyllium husks which I grinded myself. Do not use just measure cups - different products have different weights per cup!
· In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, egg whites and buttermilk.
The reason you shouldn't use only whole eggs is that the bread wouldn't rise with so many egg yolks in. Don't waste them - use them for making Homemade Mayo, Easy Hollandaise Sauce or Lemon Curd. For the same reason, use low-fat (not full-fat) buttermilk.

Add the egg mixture and process well using a mixer until the dough is thick. Add vinegar and lukewarm water and process until well combined.

Do not over-process the dough. Using a spoon, make 8 regular or 16 mini baguettes and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. They will rise, so make sure to leave some space between them. Optionally, score the baguettes diagonally and make 3-4 cuts.

Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 150 C / 300 F and bake for another 30-45 minutes (small baguettes will take less time to cook).

Remove from the oven, let the tray cool down and place the baguettes on a rack to cool down to room temperature. Store them at room temperature if you plan to use them in the next couple of days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Baked goods that use psyllium always result is slightly moist texture. If needed, cut the baguettes in half and place in a toaster or in the oven before serving.

Enjoy just like regular baguettes!
Tip: To save time, mix all the dry ingredients ahead and store in a zip-lock bag and add a label with the number of servings. When ready to be baked, just add the wet ingredients!

Nutritional values (per 1 regular baguette)
Total Carbs 14.1 grams
Fiber 9.6 grams
Net Carbs 4.5 grams
Protein 12.2 grams
Fat 16.4 grams
of which Saturated 2.7 grams
Energy 232 kcal
Magnesium 100 mg (25%)
Potassium 359 mg (18%)
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Great Low Carb Bread Company makes a sliced sour dough bread. The slices are small but the bread is delish, especially when toasted!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, guys I appreciate all your replies