Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #31
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Update; took remaining onion soup and put it to a simmer on the stove for about 15 minutes and added a splash of cream. It is absolutely wonderful and very sweet. So, the moral of the story is, cook the onions first before putting them in the Rx.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #32
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's um-ummmm good brought to you by the Rx. Red/Orange soup consisting of two tomatoes, two small carrots, 1/2 cup cabbage, three orange sweet peppers, two small oranges, some mild salsa, smoked almonds, turmeric and black pepper, smoked paprika, powdered garlic and onion. All in a chicken bone broth/chicken broth solution with a splash of cream. Color is light tangerine orange, is absolutely delicious. Who'da thunk a little bit of vinegar in the salsa would really add to the taste? I think the soups taste better with garlic and onion powder rather than with the raw. At least the taste is more concentrated.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #33
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Today's blend was success. I used three eggs and about 2 cups of half and half. I heated some of the H&H in the microwave to boiling. I turned on the Rx with more H&H in it, with Splenda and vanilla. I ran it in the soup cycle with the top plastic center off. When the blender mixture got hot, I added the hot liquid to the eggs while I was stirring them and then poured them into the spinning pitcher. It worked. No scrambled eggs.

At first, I thought it was just like egg nog, but that's because I was too hungry to wait for it to cool. After that, it firmed up and is a delicious vanilla custard. so this will be my go-to when I get so hungry I can't wait to eat anymore.

Tonight's mix will be a cold one with tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumber, and maybe corn, I'm not sure. Maybe some celery, too. Sort of like a gazpacho. I wish I had cilantro, but I just remembered that I still have some chives.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
terez
Major LCF Poster!

This evening's soup is sort of a taco style. Tomatoes, salsa, one carrot, lots of green onions, chives, lots of cilantro, sweet yellow peppers (the small ones), pumpkin seeds, olive oil, turmeric, black pepper, raw garlic and homemade bone broth.

Finished off with a tablespoon of guacamole and one of sour cream. It tastes a lot like a cilantro pesto. It's very good and color is bright pea green.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #35
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's mess is brought to you by the Rx. Starring two tomatoes, a bunch of cilantro, a bunch of green onions, 3 cloves of garlic, three small red peppers, and a hunk of English cucumber with turmeric, black pepper, olive oil, pumpkin seeds and chicken broth from the store.

Weirdly, it tastes like avocado, but maybe that's because the color is avocado, and the cilantro, onion, garlic and peppers are usually served with it.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #36
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's horror is guacamole soup. Ingredients are avocado, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, English cucumber and olive oil, pumpkin seeds, turmeric, black pepper and homemade chicken bone broth. It's a little bland, so I added more onion. But it tastes like guacamole.

By the way, hot plain bone broth with a splash of cream and garlic powder is over the moon delicious!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #37
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I made my classic fruit smoothie with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, 3 tiny oranges and a lot of ginger, sugar free chocolate syrup with Ceylon cinnamon and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I forgot the greens! Oh well! I can put them in tomorrow. And I added peppermint extract.

Color is dark purple, tastes like strawberries and thin mint cookies.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #38
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's mess is tomatoes, English cucumber, celery, 6 shallots (roasted) and 4 garlic gloves (roasted) tomatoes and carrots in a homemade chicken bone broth. Additions are turmeric and black pepper with pumpkin seeds. Color is a bright orange. It's okay. I thought I would taste the shallots and garlic more, but it was mostly the celery I could taste.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #39
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Am I going to be the only one posting here? *crickets*
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #40
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Today's blend was chia pudding; chia seeds, unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, unsweetened coconut flakes, Splenda, and almond extract. Delicious!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #41
terez
Major LCF Poster!

This afternoon's blend was a two-fer; meaning I have to make some room in my refrigerator. The first was a fruit blast with 4 tiny oranges, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and mesclun mix with hemp seeds, sugar free chocolate syrup, a hunk of raw ginger, Ceylon cinnamon and unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk. It had a little too much ginger in it so it had more heat than a York Peppermint Patty would have.

This evening's delight is an Italian tomato soup; 6 tomatoes, homemade chicken bone broth, roasted garlic cloves, roasted shallots, green onions, one medium carrot, one small stalk of celery, turmeric, black pepper, olive oil, hemp seeds, smoked almonds, Italian seasonings, and canned Parmesan and Romano cheese. Color is light orange. It's delicious.

I have to say that adding the cheese really adds to the flavor of the soup.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #42
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Today, it was hot and steamy out, so I wanted my "chocolate ice cream". Three tiny oranges, strawberries with tops on, raspberries, blueberries, (all frozen) spinach (frozen), cilantro, fresh ginger, Ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg, Splenda, hemp seeds, sugar free chocolate syrup and sugar free vanilla flavored almond milk.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #43
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Am I going to be the only one posting here? *crickets*
Even if no one is posting, we are reading. You have some great recipe/combos going on.
I want to try the ones you posted on the 8th and 22nd.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #44
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
I want a good recipe for Gazpacho, the cold (Spanish?) vegetable soup. I think it has cucumbers, tomato, bell peppers in it, but I don't have a recipe. It's delicious when it has the right stuff in it!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #45
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace1313 View Post
Even if no one is posting, we are reading. You have some great recipe/combos going on.
I want to try the ones you posted on the 8th and 22nd.
Thank you! I noticed there were a lot of hits. I put turmeric and black pepper in all the savory ones for the anti inflammatory benefits. There are people who get intimidated by all kinds of additives, and at the beginning, some people like me spend a lot on them. But they're really not necessary. It's far better to do the blasts than not.

I just got a second blade so I can make some specialty soups without having to try and get my minimum of 5 servings of veggies and/or fruits in one soup. Like, I can have the "ice cream" soup and a carrot/orange/ginger soup on the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_in_a_cave View Post
I want a good recipe for Gazpacho, the cold (Spanish?) vegetable soup. I think it has cucumbers, tomato, bell peppers in it, but I don't have a recipe. It's delicious when it has the right stuff in it!
Steve, if you go to the Nutribullet site, or any blender site like Ninja or Vitamix site, they'll have all kinds of recipes. For me, though, I prefer the Persian, or English cucumbers since they have a milder flavor. Also, the Spanish, or red onion is one of my secret ingredients to really excellent soup flavors. Even for cold soups.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #46
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Ah yes, the red onion would give it the zip I remember! Thanks for the tip about Nutribullet's site!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #47
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's blast was Italian tomato soup with homemade chicken bone broth, tomatoes, one celery stalk, one medium carrot, Italian spices, turmeric, black pepper, roasted garlic and shallots and olive oil with Parmesan and Romano (green can) cheeses thrown in. Oh, and hemp seeds, because they're there there and a drop of liquid smoke because I can't help myself. Color is bright orange. With a splash of cream, more like a cadmium yellow. Delicious!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #48
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to mention; all these recipes I do are for three or sometimes four servings. I can't gulp all this down in one sitting.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #49
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

I am going to the store today and trying to figure out which one of the soups I want to try. I will let you know which one I pick and let you know how it goes.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Old 06-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #50
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace1313 View Post
I am going to the store today and trying to figure out which one of the soups I want to try. I will let you know which one I pick and let you know how it goes.
So, what did you try and what is the verdict?
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #51
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

I have everything for the the 5/11 combo. It looked really good as I headed out to shop.
However my time got away from me yesterday. I will hopefully get it mixed today.
This is the first day since my surgery, that I will have the whole house to myself, am planning quite a bit of food prep and meal planning.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #52
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's Kefir Madness is a blend of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice, kale, cinnamon, nutmeg, Splenda, kefir and filtered water.

I had hoped that it would taste like a berry/lemon cheesecake, but I didn't use enough kefir, I think.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #53
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's piglicious delight was a "let's clean out the refrigerator before I go shopping again" soup. I used 5 tomatoes, green onions, 5 gloves of garlic, olive oil, turmeric, black pepper, and liquid smoke. I hit on the brilliant idea of allowing the Rx to blend the black pepper instead of me grinding it myself. I taste a lot of black pepper, but otherwise, it's delicious.

The broth is a gel formed from putting pork ribs in the Instant Pot last night with water, liquid smoke, low sodium soy sauce, toasted sesame seed oil, low sugar ketchup, sugar free maple syrup, onion and garlic powders, turmeric, black pepper and filtered water.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #54
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's Barbie's Dream Kitchen delight is carrot/orange/ginger soup. Three carrots microwaved for 2 minutes. That's the first time I ever did that. Three tiny oranges from Trader Joe's, a quarter of a Spanish onion, 5 gloves of roasted garlic, a large hunk of ginger, commercial low sodium chicken broth, Ceylon cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, olive oil, flax seeds, and liquid smoke. It's too intense by itself. I added water and cream. It's still a little too hot with the ginger, but with the water and cream, it's outstanding. I might do another Kefir Madness tonight, too.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #55
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's Kefir Madness was a bunch of cilantro, a hunk of English cucumber, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, Ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg, Splenda, hemp seeds, flax seeds, nutritional yeast (nooch) and kefir. Some friend recommended that I add the nooch because I complained that my earlier version didn't taste enough like cheesecake. I really wouldn't use nooch for anything sweet; it has more of a miso flavor which is absolutely delicious. It would be great for soup bases and for a low salt dusting for fish and chicken to bake in the oven, but not for anything else. It's great plain, and maybe on popcorn when carbs allow. Or sprinkled on salads.

I ended up adding a lot more kefir (really pronounced kuh-FEER) to make it take better. The nooch was a mistake.

I'm finding that cilantro really does go well with light fruits like berries.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 AM   #56
dmburk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/200/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
I make a beet smoothie for a friend of mine -

1/2 cup cubed cooked beets
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
1 cup plain greek yogurt
splash of vanilla
dash of salt
1 TB honey
1 Tb chia seeds
Blend. Add water to desired consistency, and sweeten to taste.
2 servings

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #57
dmburk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/200/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #58
terez
Major LCF Poster!

That looks like a really healthy recipe. I'm afraid to try beets because I'm afraid they will overpower everything else. But it looks like you have it figured out. Beautiful color, too!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #59
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's kitschlicious brew is a gazpacho soup; I can't believe it's so good. It's 94 degrees outside and I'm not cooking. So, I loaded a small red onion, 3 small, very ripe tomatoes, a small bunch of fresh cilantro, a 3 inch hunk of English cucumber, 4 cloves of garlic, turmeric, black pepper, about a half teaspoon of cumin powder, olive oil, lime juice, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and commercial, low sodium chicken broth. And did it on a cold cycle. It's delicious. It doesn't need anything added to it.

My secret ingredient this summer in everything not sweet is the red onion.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #60
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I'm kind of bored now with the Rx and I'm looking for some good recipes. I have enough vegetables to make another gazpacho, and, the freezer is full of fruits and greens for sweeter smoothie types. What's everyone making now?

I'm looking at trying out an artichoke heart/leek combination with sea salt and garlic with my new Kalamata olive oil, but that's not a smoothie.

I might have to see another infomercial to guilt me into going whole hog again with the Nutribullet.

The thing is, with my weight having spiraled up with some medication, I'm really restricted to very low carb, so berries, greens, peppers and a lot of broth or unsweetened almond milk are pretty much my choices right now. Much as I would love to do a banana or pineapple, or mango....nope. Not now.