Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #121
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
I did my version of aunt Ruth's pecan cake again using VF powder instead of VF syrup this time and it was even better! No premature browning at all despite the long bake and the texture was crunchy on the outside and very fudge-like on the inside. Also tasted very fudgey and praliney with all the bown sugar sub and browned butter. I think VF is a great way to get different textures in bakes. Love this stuff
So did you use the original recipe but with VF powder instead of PolyD? How much VF powder did you use?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #122
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Soobee or anyone, in the marshmallow fluff, did you use liquid or powdered VF? thks
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #123
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I used liquid in the marshmallow fluff.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #124
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Soobee or anyone, in the marshmallow fluff, did you use liquid or powdered VF? thks
I used powdered
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #125
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
So did you use the original recipe but with VF powder instead of PolyD? How much VF powder did you use?
Here's the recipe I used:

Aunt Ruth’s Pecan Pie Cake

Note: Recipe calls for a total of 3 cups toasted pecans. 2 cups for the wet mix, 1 cup to stir in at the very end

In bowl mix dry ingredients together :
2 c almond flour
1 c hazelnut flour
1/4 c oat fibre
1/4 cup whey (I used Praline Vanilla Designer)
1/2 c erythritol granular
½ c vitafibre powder
1/4 c sukrin gold (brown sugar sub)
1/4 c JLS brown (brown sugar sub)
1 c swerve powder (if you like it less sweet, you can cut sweetener down)
1 Tbsp stevia sugar
1 Tbsp tagatose
¼ tsp salt, rounded

Then mix wet ingredients together in vitamix:
1 cup browned butter or ghee (one cup before browning – final amount will be less)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups toasted pecans (oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes)
1 tbsp vanilla (maybe try some Bourbon?)
5 large eggs

*put aside one extra cup of chopped toasted pecans to stir in at the end. (total 3 cups toasted pecans used in recipe)

Then mix wet ingredients with dry stirring until well combined. Then add one cup chopped toasted pecans (this is the third cup mentioned above) and stir well. This is a very thick dough.

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the bottom of a very large cast iron skillet or springform pan, approx. 10 inches. Spray the skillet with coconut oil (or butter it), place the wax paper on top of the coconut oil or butter and spray again.

Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 10 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). Outside may look a bit over, but inside should still be fudgey.

Take the cake from the oven and cool it. Run a knife around the sides to loosen it and place a plate over the pan then turn the cake out onto the plate. Comes out crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and fudgey on the inside. Good the next day or two slightly warmed in the microwave, then freeze any leftovers.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #126
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I'm thinking about making homemade Quest bars, but wondering about the costs savings. The vita fiber plus shipping is expensive and so is the protein powder. I've never bought Jay Robb protein powder, but that seems to be a good one?

Is there a big savings with making them at home?
Old 01-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #127
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure if the cost savings is really there if you only plan on making Quest Bars. Of course you are controlling the ingredients, the freshness and you can use the vitafiber for other things besides just bars. That's the appeal of it for me, that it can be used in place of other ingredients and often times, creates a superior product than using say, poly d.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #128
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I've seen some articles that compare costs, and the homemade bars came out to be cheaper. Of course I don't know what their shipping costs were. The shipping cost is the same whether you buy the bigger amount or the smaller. It's much more cost effective to buy the bigger bottle. I am absolutely delighted with the product. I have been able to make crispy cookies, delicious protein bars, pecan pie, marshmallow fluff, boiled frosting, and my latest experiment was with the almond toffee.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #129
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you EnglishLit and SooBee. Yeah I bet the cost saving are minimal. So it depends on the other things I can use the vita fiber and protein powder for and my desire for them. Hmmm decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #130
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I am absolutely delighted with the product. I have been able to make crispy cookies, delicious protein bars, pecan pie, marshmallow fluff, boiled frosting, and my latest experiment was with the almond toffee.
Soobee, I would love to hear about the almond toffee! With a recipe, of course TIA.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #131
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I posted the recipe earlier in this thread, I think, but I had to make changes to make it work. Here is the original with my changes.
VitaFiber Microwave Almond Brittle Rossella Body Building Pantry
70 g Vitafiber powder (about 2 1/2 oz)
45 g Vitafiber syrup(about 2 oz)
Your favorite sweetener, to taste (I used 8 drops liquid sucralose, about 1/3 cup sweetener)
90 g almonds (about 3 oz)
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
In a glass bowl, combine almonds, Vitafiber powder and syrup, salt. Cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes on High: mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 1 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda and your favorite sweetener just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes or until set. Break into pieces.

The original recipe said to cook the mixture on high for 4-5 minutes, then stir, and then add in other ingredients. Mine came out black and unsalvageable. So I changed the initial time to 2-3 minutes. It should be bubbling, just like when you make Protein bars. I tried to do it on the stovetop. It formed one big blob, impenetrable inside and highly uncooperative. So I think you have to do it on the microwave. Just don't overcook it. But the toffee was delicious. DH marveled that we could make such a recipe after all these years.

Last edited by Soobee; 01-11-2015 at 06:52 AM..
Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #132
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made a wonderful hot fudge sauce using the VF powder, but I'm sure it will be fine with the liquid too. I normally use polyd, but it sometimes gives me gastric issues, especially when paired with low carb ice cream, so I will start using VF from here on out.

3/4 to 1 cup hot water
1 cup Vitafiber powder
1 3.5 ounce bar Lindt 90% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Liquid stevia to sweeten (I used one dropperful)

Heat water in a small sauce pan. Before it reaches boiling point, start to whisk in the vitafiber, slowly in 1/4 cup increments. (I've found that the VF dissolves better in warm water rather than boiling hot water). Whisk until VF is fully dissolved.

Add in chocolate bar and whisk until melted. Add in rest of ingredients, whisking over low to medium heat until fully combined. Remove from heat and let cool. Sauce will thicken upon cooling. Transfer to a jar or covered container. I don't normally refrigerate mine, but it is okay to do so.

This is a real and proper hot fudge sauce, very much like what you would find in Baskin Robbins or Coldstone. I love it over low carb vanilla ice cream, but it is absolutely amazing in homemade espresso drinks as well!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #133
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

That sounds great. I love my sundaes and will give this a try
Old 01-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #134
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Can someone tell me what the cost is for shipping the vitafiber to the US? IIRC the price was the same for both sizes of the syrup?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #135
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure as I shipped to Canada. Next time I order, I'm shipping to my US address as it's cheaper. Will let you know if you haven't heard by then.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #136
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shipping is $17.00 for either the 1 kg or 5 kg bottle.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #137
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks gals
Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #138
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made low carb brownies using VF instead of polyd in the recipe, and they didn't come out particularly fudgey or chewy like regular brownies, but I can't complain about the texture or flavor at all--they were delicious, and more cake-like than brownie-like. I think that I'm going to have to tweak the recipe a bit and cut back on the baking powder and maybe an egg to get the chewy consistency that I want.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #139
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I read all 5 pages. You guys are amazing. Which would you say that I order syrup or powder???

There some recipes I want to try.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #140
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Esther, I would order the liquid. I use it in ice cream, cookies, pies and protein bars. I have had the best luck with it. Here is a tweaked recipe from Vangela. It is our new favorite cookie. We can't believe the great texture of the cookie. DH keeps saying, "It's just like a real cookie." You'll notice that it doesn't have eggs, so if you change the flour, it should work for you too.

Almond Chocolate Cookies Vangela Soobee
1¼ cups almond flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Vitafiber liquid
½ T vanilla
1/8 tsp sucralose liquid (1/2 cup worth of sweetener)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix almond flour, baking powder and baking soda together. In another bowl, combine oil, agave and vanilla together. Add dry mix to wet mix. Fold in sliced almonds and chocolate chips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of dough onto baking sheets. Flatten. Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden. Cool in pan.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #141
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

If you only order one, I would definitely order the syrup. But I've had good experiences with the powder too!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #142
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I third the motion for the syrup!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #143
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
Subbing. Where so you guys prefer to purchase this from. The one website is sold out of the powder.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-30-2015 at 11:51 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #144
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I buy from Bioneutra. I don't believe they are sold out. Although they are based in Canada, their shipping is cheaper to the US than to ship to Canada.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #145
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not all of my filling fit into my 9 inch pie pan. I think next time I might try a 10 inch pie pan, but then the crust ingredients would have to be increased. The crust came up the sides but not over the lip, so there was no worry about overbrowning. DH is already requesting another. And some high carbers asked for the recipe!
Pecan Pie Crust Buttoni
1 1/4 c. finely ground pecans
3 T. unsalted butter softened
3 packets Stevia or Splenda
1/4 c flax meal
Combine all ingredients and press into bottom of glass pie plate. Bake in 375º oven for 10-12 minutes to toast pecans a bit and bring out their flavor. Cool and fill as desired.
Pecan Pie Filling Soobee
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar substitute
½ cup tagatose
1 tsp molasses
3/4 cup Vitafiber
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 cups chopped toasted pecans
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Set separate racks in the center and lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake on a baking sheet on the center rack until the dough is set, about 10-15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In medium saucepan, combine the butter, tagatose, erythritol, molasses and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stirring constantly, continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts, bourbon and the vanilla. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk the beaten eggs into the filling until smooth. Put the pie shell on a sheet pan and pour the filling into the crust. Bake on the lower oven rack until the edges are set but the center is still slightly loose, about 35 to 45 minutes.
This was gorgeous, the flavor outstanding! I can't wait for next Thanksgiving - I'm sure I'll break down and make it again before then. Highly recommend
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #146
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
I ordered the syrup but the powder shows sold out.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #147
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made the perfect lemon pound cake today using this recipe:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...9&postcount=16

I substituted the poly-d for vitafiber powder, and the taste and texture was absolutely amazing. I have made low carb pound cakes before, and this is nearly indistinguishable from the high carb version. I'm definitely finding the vitafiber to be superior in baked goods over poly d.

I also added 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/2 packet of sugar free lemon jello, and increased the sweetener by 1/4 cup. I baked it in a loaf pan. I will never crave Starbucks lemon loaf again!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #148
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I posted the recipe earlier in this thread, I think, but I had to make changes to make it work. Here is the original with my changes.
VitaFiber Microwave Almond Brittle Rossella Body Building Pantry
70 g Vitafiber powder (about 2 1/2 oz)
45 g Vitafiber syrup(about 2 oz)
Your favorite sweetener, to taste (I used 8 drops liquid sucralose, about 1/3 cup sweetener)
90 g almonds (about 3 oz)
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
In a glass bowl, combine almonds, Vitafiber powder and syrup, salt. Cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes on High: mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 1 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda and your favorite sweetener just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes or until set. Break into pieces.

The original recipe said to cook the mixture on high for 4-5 minutes, then stir, and then add in other ingredients. Mine came out black and unsalvageable. So I changed the initial time to 2-3 minutes. It should be bubbling, just like when you make Protein bars. I tried to do it on the stovetop. It formed one big blob, impenetrable inside and highly uncooperative. So I think you have to do it on the microwave. Just don't overcook it. But the toffee was delicious. DH marveled that we could make such a recipe after all these years.
Soobee's revamped almond brittle recipe is utterly delicious. Two and a a half minutes was too long in my mike though - it came out hard as a rock. I should have checked sooner. Interestingly, it was very salvageable. I added some more butter and VF syrup and gently warmed in bursts in the mike. After pouring and cooling, it came out like soft buttery toffee, which tasted incredible with the toasted almond flakes. The texture was much like a rice crispy square. So it appears you can heat it less for a pliable toffee candy and heat it more for a brittle one.

I imagine you could make all sorts of soft toffee balls, including chocolate chips, cranberries, nuts or marshmallows, etc. On my next go, I will brown the butter first to try a different flavor of toffee or add some of my caramel sauce into the mix for the microwave. This stuff is dead yummy and fun to play with
Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #149
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's very interesting that you were able to salvage the toffee that way. How long would you estimate that you need to cook the toffee in your microwave? I am a snowbird, so I have 2 homes and 2 microwaves. And I notice that they differ in how long it takes to make things. This one is slower, and the times I gave worked out perfectly for me, but I'm thinking my other microwave will need your timing.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #150
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's very interesting that you were able to salvage the toffee that way. How long would you estimate that you need to cook the toffee in your microwave? I am a snowbird, so I have 2 homes and 2 microwaves. And I notice that they differ in how long it takes to make things. This one is slower, and the times I gave worked out perfectly for me, but I'm thinking my other microwave will need your timing.
Yes, I was surprised that it came back to life. It was really rock hard and wouldn't budge from the glass bowl before the salvage. I'm curious now whether I have to go through the hardening and then softening to get a similar soft toffee texture or whether I can just under cook it.

I'm guessing the sweet spot for my mike is between 1:30 - 2 minutes. It might depend on how hard I want the toffee. I think it started bubbling around the 45 seconds to one minute mark. Do you pull yours out once you see the bubbling start or do you let it bubble a while? What was your final texture like, brittle or soft pliable toffee?

Well the first batch is already gone and I'll be making more this weekend. I still can't believe how good this stuff is! Great possibilities for all sorts of candy treats...