Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #481
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
[QUOTE I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS. I powder until very fine, usually about 2 minutes total.QUOTE]
Cat, another question.... when you have this mixed up, do you use as a 1 to 1 replacement for sugar?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #482
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Yes, Judy, pretty much. I always taste to adjust. Sometimes it needs a little more, but I can't remember ever feeling it was too sweet with that ratio. When making something chocolate, I always have to add some to overcome the inherent bitterness chocolate imparts.

Let your palate be your guide, and don't be afraid to add to your product. Remember that you can also use drops to make up the difference, so that's another's option. The drops are less effective with chocolate, however, for most other baked goods, they work well.

It's hard with sugar substitutes to give a definitive amount in a recipe. Think of it as an "area," not a "point." There's just no substitute for tasting, and your palate never lies!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #483
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help, Cat. I've been trying to get the sweetness right in chocolate for years but never completely succeed, especially since I can't stand too much erythritol or Swerve but do like to use a little of it. I've also been looking at a version of the THM sweetener (a combination of E, xylitol and Better Stevia) I'd like to try that because I like xylitol but we have a dog so I'm afraid to use it. That's why I was interested in your mix, using JLS as a replacement for xylitol. I haven't gotten the stevia yet - still trying to decide which to get. The Better Stevia is very concentrated so makes The THM sweetener is twice as sweet as sugar. That would make it more economical in the long run. Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #484
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Judy, sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your post. We had a long interruption, as we live in south FL, and ended up fleeing north to get out of Irma's path, along with tens of thousands of our closest friends...

I use SweetLeaf organic stevia. I've found it to be less prone to bitterness than every other brand I've tried, so to me it's superior. It only takes 1/8 tsp to equal 1 tsp sugar. Don't know how that compares to Better Stevia. I did use that once, but it was more than a year ago, and I just don't recall the equivalence.

Netrition carries the SweetLeaf stevia, which is where I get it. To my palate, there's just no comparison with other brands, so it's the only one I use. But here's the caveat: As with so many LC sweeteners, everyone's palate is different. YMMV.

Last edited by Baricat; 09-21-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #485
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Cat. I think I've decided to get the sweetleaf. I put it on my list at Netrition, but waiting to reach the amount where I can get free shipping. I will probably try some variation of your mixture, maybe reducing the amt of E and increasing the JLS. You're right about everyone's palate being different. I can't believe how many people use E based sweeteners like Swerve and Sukrin in large amts. I can't stand the burning sensation they cause, so just use small amts to increase sweetener strength until I've used them up. I just recently discovered and really like JLS and have both white, will have to get the brown to try. Hope everything was OK with your home in FL. Have some friends and relatives who had to evacuate. I'm originally from New Orleans, so know what y'all went through!