Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #61
vli1127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: 256/228.8/wherever scale stops
WOE: Mod. Low Carb
Start Date: 9/26/17 and Every day
Still waiting for Monica's GF and dairy free version.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #62
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Newbie here! Just made these waffles, except I substituted VWG with WPI 5000, and they are simply amazing, the best waffles I've ever made PERIOD! Even making regular high carb waffles, it was hard to always achieve the crispy edges and those crisp air pockets.

Thanks so much for this recipe!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #63
miboje
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Yep, they are so good that the family keeps asking for them. Definitely a LC recipe that didn't leave me feeling like I wasted ingredients.
I just wish I could think of more ways to incorporate them into meals. So far I've made:
* chicken and waffles
* turkey and waffles
* Waffles w/syrup

I do have plans at some point to take a LC chocolate cake recipe and make waffles with it, then slap some LC vanilla ice cream between two of them for an ice cream sandwich.

Any other ideas?
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #64
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
We have used the waffles as bread - makes a great hamburger bun and it holds the condiments better than regular hamburger buns do!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #65
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Made these this morning with coconut flour - which is a little fragile - instead of VWG.

DH and I think this is THE BEST recipe. I would serve these to anybody - they are absolutely delicious.

I did add 1/2 tsp. glucomannan. I might add a tish more next time, but they were delicious no matter what!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Ditto! This is the winning waffle recipe in my house too. . . . For the coconut flour version, I use 3/4 t. gluc as that seems to hold the waffles together. If you like a more delicate waffle, go with a bit less gluc.

Also I like a little vanilla (okay, I love vanilla in everything) in either version -- 1/2 t. will do nicely.

For crazy good times, try some almond flavoring. And a little extra sweetener. Then you have yourself a right good dessert waffle!
to make these sturdier does anyone think a touch of unflavoured whey protein powder would help hold these together? Would it replace some of the coconut flour or in addition to it? Thinking out loud here and would appreciate comments.

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #66
vli1127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: 256/228.8/wherever scale stops
WOE: Mod. Low Carb
Start Date: 9/26/17 and Every day
and waiting . . . .
Old 12-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #67
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Wish I knew - I don't, sorry.
If you try it let us know!
Would that be in addition to, or instead of glucomannan?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #68
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking in addition to a smaller amount of glucommannan...? I will have to probably play around with this...figure it out

Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #69
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a feeling any that are not quite perfect will still be quite good!
I bet these freeze well...
Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #70
primroselane
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 328/222.6/150
WOE: lchf
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
Bought a new waffle maker today... can't wait to try these!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #71
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Char I noticed that tweaks were made with using coconut flour
instead of VWG...Which to you use? Is this the original recipe?

Originally Posted by Charski
This is my FAVORITE recipe - in fact I'm going to be making them in about 10 minutes! Even people who would gag if you TOLD them they were low-carb think these are excellent waffles!

"BettyR's Amazing Waffles

Preheat your waffle iron.

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3 eggs
2 pkt. Splenda
1 tsp. or pkt. Stevia Plus
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup cream
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Put all ingredients into a food processor; process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then process another 60 seconds. The batter will be VERY thick - do NOT thin it down!

Place a heaping tablespoon (the kind you eat cereal with, not a measuring spoon) of batter into each waffle section of the iron and cook as you would regular waffles.

Makes 7 large waffles, approx. 3.6 carbs each

You can reduce the calories by using part-skim ricotta cheese in place of cream cheese and Hood's LC milk in place of the cream, if you like."

I don't bother to put the sweetener in because we use the leftovers like bread for sandwiches.

Also I've used all kinds of shredded cheese in these, whatever I have on hand. Even the Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend is really good! You don't taste the cheese (unless you used something very strong) and it works fine if you're not in possession of mozzarella at the moment.

These are FANTASTIC !! Love em, had a problem with sticking on the first round.. I guess that I didn't let the waffle iron heat up enough... I have the George Foreman grill that has the waffle inserts and they make huge waffles..
well, I finally got around to trying a tweeked version, with BTF Mix- made with lupin flour, almond flour and oat fibre.

here are my observations: I think my tweeked recipe needs some work. I found that I had mistaken the amount of *flour* and only used half of what is called for in the recipe, I used all the cream cheese called for and used HWC and found the waffles very flat, like pancakes and way too greasy. The taste was really good tho so I will try again using a full 1/2 cup of my BTF mix, subbing water for the cream and maybe using 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 yogurt...I also left out the sweeteners and vanilla as I don't care for it.

I really want these to work out better for me as I think they would be a basic staple for me if I can perfect the recipe to my taste...so glad that this recipe was developed in the first place for us all to play with!!! Thanks Betty!

one more thing that didn't work for me was the amount of batter used for each waffle. I think I must have a smaller waffle iron than everybody else because the amount of batter caused it to instantly ooze out of the sides and front of the iron all over the table and then cooked onto the outside of the iron itself. What a mess! my batter didn't spread out at all until I lowered the top plate so I'll have to experiment with batter amount as well next time. But I still love the idea of these and I will make this work if it kills me!

Last edited by Deb34; 01-13-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #72
webcrystal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Anyone know whether buttermilk would work for the cream? I'd like a buttermilk pancake but wasn't sure of the flavor profile of the recipe.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #73
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Just a guess - but I bet it would be fine.
Just 1/4 cup wouldn't change it much, I wouldn't think.

Let us know how it works for you.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #74
Charski
Gadget Gal

I haven't tried it but I can't see how it would be BAD. Let us know if you try it!

I think I'd ditch the vinegar though since the buttermilk is acidic on its own.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #75
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Bumping up this amazing recipe again. I like to make a batch at the beginning of the week, and keep the leftover batter in the fridge. I thin it out a little with some milk and I can have fresh waffles every morning if I am careful with the batter.

It is definitely a forgiving recipe if you want to play around with it. I've made a low calorie version for my daughter, swapping out half of the mozz and for cottage cheese, cashew milk instead of cream and using reduced fat cream cheese. Sometimes I add some protein powder or oat fiber to stretch, sometimes I swap out the vital wheat gluten for whatever low carb flour I have on hand. Other times I will add a tablespoon of corn grits or corn meal, add chopped jalapeno and cheddar cheese and will have the best "cornbread waffle" to go with soup or chili. The combinations are endless!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #76
jacksmixedtape
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Just made these waffles with buckwheat flour in place of the VWG. I am in love! Thanks for bringing these to our attention, Barbo and Charski. This recipe is a keeper!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #77
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Hi, Lauren! It's great to see you, it's been a long time. Have you had much time for baking?

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #78
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
Bumping...this is the best waffle I've ever had. Going to try Charski's tip to use 2% greek yogurt to lower the calorie count. Hubby has diabetes and he loves these. They don't hurt his blood sugar.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #79
msjaebea
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msjaebea
Stats: 170/138/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-1-13
I know this is a really old thread but I have to say also that this waffle recipe is amazing! Since the fathead dough is presently "all the rage" right now, and I use the dough alot, I noticed that the basic ingredients are similar to the fathead ingredients. In fathead, the cheese is melted and in this recipe it is not. The texture of this bready waffle is really wonderful so I may experiment with it a bit to see what other bready treats can be found in it.
msjaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #80
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Yep, they are so good that the family keeps asking for them. Definitely a LC recipe that didn't leave me feeling like I wasted ingredients.
I just wish I could think of more ways to incorporate them into meals. So far I've made:
* chicken and waffles
* turkey and waffles
* Waffles w/syrup

I do have plans at some point to take a LC chocolate cake recipe and make waffles with it, then slap some LC vanilla ice cream between two of them for an ice cream sandwich.

Any other ideas?
I know this is a question from years ago, and this is an old thread, but this is really great use for these awesome waffles, either cooled or leftover. If I'm planning to make these, I tend to cook the waffles lightly, since they undergo a second "cooking."

Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

*1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
*1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
*2 Tb powdered Erythritol or powdered Swerve

Mix together well. May be made a bit ahead and refrigerated until needed. If made more than an hour in advance, however, let it sit out on the counter around a half hour before you spread it.

*4 standard waffles (my machine makes round waffles, but I'd imagine you could use the huge rectangular ones, like those made in the George Foreman grill, counting half of those as equal to a single round one (so you'd only need two big ones.) Any size is fine, so long as you're able to flip it in a frying pan.
*2-4 Tb sugar free jam (any flavor you like, as thickly applied as you like, but be mindful of the carbs if you use a lot!)
*1 Tb butter, or more as needed

*Extra powdered sweetener for sprinkling, and cinnamon (optional)

Melt 1 Tb butter in a skillet over medium heat.

Spread two waffles with sugar free jam.

Spread half of the cheese mixture over the jam on each waffle.

Top each of these filled waffles with another plain waffle to make a sandwich.

Cook the sandwich in the skillet with the melted butter. If the waffle seems to be browning too fast, reduce the heat.

Flip the sandwich and cook the other side. Should be around 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side, in order to heat and slightly melt the cheese spread between the waffles. Add more butter for the second side, as needed.

Keep the first sandwich warm while you repeat the process for the second sandwich. Add more butter to the skillet if you feel it necessary for making the second sandwich.

If desired, sprinkle each sandwich lightly with powdered sweetener and cinnamon.

Let cool at least a minute before picking up and enjoying.

The sandwiches are super filling. I can barely finish half of one of these if I'm super hungry. If not, 1/4 sandwich works just fine.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #81
Charski
Gadget Gal

Oh GEEEEEEZ Cat!! That sounds awesome!