Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #121
ItsTheWooo
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Hi, I believe I did mine for 50 minutes, and I lined the pan in foil as per recommendation.

Thank you, I'll try the longer bake time version. Do you recommend glass or a metal pan? I like my brownies a little burned/crisp on the outside and soft on the inside the way my mom used to make them , so I was thinking about using a glass dish... but I don't know if that's appropriate for such a long bake time?

Thanks again Scott
Nora
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #122
decodiana
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Scott,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! This is a to-die-for recipe that all my family loves - even non L/C'ers.

I used the 275 temperature and 85 minutes and they're perfect.

We're all so lucky to have you and all the wonderful bakers here giving us wonderful recipes.

Everyone, have a blessed Holiday.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #123
lissbell
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lissbell
Stats: 258/167/138
WOE: Protein Power... ish
Start Date: January 2006
Scott,

Thank you so much for all your work on these brownies.

I know you caution against substituting almond flour for the Carbalose in this recipe. Do you have any suggestions for low-carbing celiacs who miss brownies like crazy? I've considered trying to substitute a mixture of whey protein powder, rice bran and xanthan gum for the Carbalose, but I thought it would be worth asking the expert before embarking on the experiment.

Cheers,
~Lissa
lissbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:35 AM   #124
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Nora, metal pan. Glass can be problematic since it allows radiant heat to pass through it, but at the same time, it's an insulator, prevents conductive heat from flowing. I recommend aluminum.

Decodiana, I'm glad you liked it!!!!

Lissa, almond flour isn't ideal, but I think it'll be better than whey/rice bran/xanthan. Sub out the almond flour, adding maybe 1 T. more and subtracting a T. of butter. This is not exact, but it should make a good brownie.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #125
Yummy's_Girl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I made these brownies, this morning, for tonight's dinner and they were wonderful! Scott123, thank you sooooooooo much for this recipe! These truly are "******ic" brownies, and the best I have ever had low carb.

My husband always made some brownies just like this.... Non low carb of course! ANd people always raved about them! None could ever come close in a low carb version... Until now!

Thanks, again, for sharing this with us! They are amazing!!

I baked mine at 325 for 35 mins for the fudgey version.

They are very rich and a 1/18th serving of one batch is enough for me at a time. Of course, there are others in the house but I'm sure they will last at least a couple days, since I tripled the recipe to allow plenty for guests with leftovers.

A couple questions:

How long will these keep and do I need to refriegerate them? I'm concerned about them not keeping well since they are so moist and fudgey.

Also, have you ever frozen them? I'd love to put a few in the freezer for a quick treat now and then but wanted to ask if anyone has tried this already so I know if its an option.

Thanks, again, over and over, for this awesome recipe! And thanks, in advance, for any input anyone can offer, in regards to the questions on freezing and storing!

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #126
jackieba
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Yummy's Girl:
I've kept these on my counter in tupperware for 4-5 days with no problem (I place paper towels between layers so they don't stick together).
But I've also frozen some and just take out a couple at a time the night before so they can thaw. That's the safest way--you get forced portion control plus no risk of stuff getting moldy.

Jackie
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #127
Yummy's_Girl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Thanks, Jackieba! I'm going to go put a few in the freezer so I have them for later!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #128
greenbean
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenbean
Welp I screwed up...that is what I get for cooking while exhausted and with 3 yo dd....

I accidentally used carbquick instead of carbolose! The only reason I am miffed is because I wanted to do this by-the-book. In any event they turned out DELICIOUS! Thanks for the great recipe.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #129
sweetdreams
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
I made these today! They are wonderful and the texture and taste would fool anyone. No one would believe they are not made with real sugar! I'm now just waiting to see if the PolyD will catch up with me..... if you know what I mean! Hope not!
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #130
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Ok..which recipe of Scott's did you use? I want a gooey Brownie..I have Poly D and Isomelt but would you believe I have never used them...

HUGS!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #131
sungoddess
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Oh... seeing this thread come up again is just making me crazy!! I can't have the brownies right now, but Scott's recipe was one of the BEST brownies I ever ate, including HC. I just love these.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #132
sweetdreams
Senior LCF Member

I used

1 stick butter
2 oz Nestles unsweetened choc.

2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp diabetisweet ( I will order the Sweet-one Ace K next netrition order )
13 drops of sweetfreeze

Dry: 1/2 cup Carbalose
3/4 cup Poly D
1/4 cup Ery
1/4 cup diabetisweet

Baked at 275 degrees for 75 minutes!

I can't wait to eat another one today!

Unbelievable texture, chewy goodness.

Last edited by sweetdreams; 12-05-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #133
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!

I just made a double batch of these to try...they sound SO good...

HUGS!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #134
sweetdreams
Senior LCF Member

Let us know how they turn out........ I can't eat more than one or else no one wants to be around me..... it must be the PolyD :blush:
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #135
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!

It is...They are alright but I think I cooked them a little too long..they are crumbly but still good..eating them right now..

HUGS!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #136
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
Let us know how they turn out........ I can't eat more than one or else no one wants to be around me..... it must be the PolyD :blush:
Yes, these are second generation polyd brownies. The first (Jaideyes) had so much polyd in them, they were almost candy. I scaled the polyd back so they were still pretty chewy, but not quite so much.

If the polyd is causing problems for you, you could probably get away with cutting it by half without too much of a drop in quality. I would say they'd be about 75% as good. I'd also scale back the butter by 1/2, as the polyd acts as an emulsifier, and without it, these will have a tendency to be greasy. The lack of polyd will alter the baking time greatly, so I'd keep a keen eye on it in the oven- 50 minutes at 300 sounds about right, but I'd check them after 30. As far as the toothpick test goes- I'd go 10 minutes past the point where it comes out clean.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #137
sweetdreams
Senior LCF Member

Thank You Scott.... boy are they good brownies! Thanks for the advice.... Should I increase any of the other "sugars" ? I'll definately make them again sometime soon!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #138
stephdray
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I just wanted to bring this recipe to the attention of folks here again. I made a batch this weekend with pecans, and it has really helped me get back on the bandwagon after the holidays.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #139
Pork Chop
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pork Chop
Stats: Reached goal January 2002
WOE: Low carb maintenance
Start Date: July 2001
My husband loves these brownies! I just realized what they remind me of... they are a low carb version of the Katherine Hepburn brownies!
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #140
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann1
what is sweet one ace-k, and where do you get it? Or, what is successfully used instead please.
Ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #141
Kathy
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Ann1, the Sweet One Ace-K no longer exists. You've found a very old recipe here.

If you are looking for a good low carb brownie recipe, I suggest this one.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...&postcount=328
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #142
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Very surprised to learn that Sweet One is no more! I have a box here just for making this fabulous brownie recipe. Fortunately, acesulfame potassium (aka "ace K"), which is what Sweet One was--is still available online from a major online retailer, in bulk form (different brand).
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #143
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I'm surprised about Sweet One too! Glad I have two more boxes in my pantry, it's a good sweetener booster.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #144
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

please tell me if you know what sweetners I can use in this recipe to replace the Sweet One and the Sweetzfree? I have made the Ultimate Keto Brownie recipe and did not care for it. I hope these are better.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #145
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

Kathy, in the Ultimate Brownie recipe you sent me the link for, can you tell me what will work to substitute the "sweet one" sweetener for? Also, do you have the nutrition info for the recipe please?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #146
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Whatever happened to Scott123? Anyone know?
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #147
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
Kathy, in the Ultimate Brownie recipe you sent me the link for, can you tell me what will work to substitute the "sweet one" sweetener for? Also, do you have the nutrition info for the recipe please?
Ann don't worry about using only those exact products that Deb (dldickins) used. Just make certain that whatever sweeteners (I do recommend you use a combo in this recipe) you do opt for, it adds up to the equivalent of 1 cup.

In another thread where I suggested this recipe, I posted my proprietary blend, which works perfectly in this recipe. Use 1 cup, and when all ingredients are mixed together, taste for sweetness (don't try to judge until you've added everything. Very important!) Usually, the initial cup when combined with 2 Tb of Sukrin Gold Fiber syrup, and with the addition I make of another 1-1/2 Tb DaVinci (or Monin, or Torani) syrup will be quite sufficient. But you can feel free to add more powdered erythritol if you feel it needs to be sweeter.

And in the event that you prefer a less sweet brownie, start with 3/4 cup sweetener, and add more as necessary. Because your sweeteners will be finely powdered, they can be incorporated at the last minute without any resulting gritty texture in your brownies.

HC brownies generally tend to be a fairly sweet treat, and as directed, the sweetness level is highly reminiscent of the real HC deal. But maybe your first time, you want to err on the side of caution with 3/4 cup initially, mix completely and taste, and then add more sweetener in small increments to where it appeals to your palate.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 AM   #148
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Ann,
First of all, to this site. You can learn a lot here, and not just about brownies.

But as to brownies, the recipe Scott 123 posted years ago on this thread is hands down the best brownie I've ever made. You can make this brownie even though some of the ingredients have changed. As I posted earlier, Sweet One was Ace-K. Go buy some of that. Then you can substitute that product for the Sweet One by using the amount that is equivalent in sweetening power to the amount of Sweet One in this recipe.

Sweetzfree is liquid sucralose. You can use any other liquid sucralose in its place. I use EZ Sweetz.

The other option, of course, is to use different sweeteners. But they may not work the same way this combination of sweeteners works. I tried an experiment once, making a simple vanilla wafer. I think I made seven versions, all with different sweeteners, and got very different results.

Now the biggie, though. You need to become proficient in math if you want to be a LC baker. Converting sweeteners can be a bit of a bear. You need to determine the sweetening power of the sweetener you are replacing with the one you want to substitute. For example: There are two different sizes of EZ Sweetz for sale on Netrition. The larger bottle has less sweetening power than the small bottle. So you would need more drops from the big bottle to equal one cup of sugar than you would from the small bottle. The labels on most of these products will tell you their sugar equivalence.

A lot of information is available online regarding the sugar equivalence of various sweeteners, too. You will need to do that research. Here's a useful link to get you started.http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...ar+equivalents
Old 08-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #149
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Linda, I've always looked longingly at that recipe. But even a whisper of polyd makes me violently ill. There are quite a few others here who share this problem to one degree or another, so it bears repeats that the success of Scott's recipe for an individual is in part dependent upon the ability of your body to tolerate polyd.

I got so sick for so long after ingesting a very small amount (under 3/4 tsp) that I was within a hair's breadth of needing IV fluids. I feel that when recommending any recipe with that ingredient, it's an important courtesy to include a note that polyd is known to cause severe gastric distress in a significant number of individuals.

This is particularly important in the event that a newbie sees the recipe and decides to make it. I was brand new to the board and at the time, had no idea about its potential side effects, but would have been grateful if someone had pointed that out to me. Since I have a super sensitive gut, I would have never used it, and sure as heck never would have bought it. Including that information allows the member to make an educated choice whether or not to try the recipe.

Now, if there is a known history of a sweetener causing that problem, such as xylitol (which I can't handle, either) I just don't use it. There are enough options out there that it's not difficult to work around. I simply replace it with something else. Then I taste the batter to confirm that it is sweetened appropriately and then adjust if necessary before baking.

In the case of polyd, however, since it not only sweetens, but also is crucial to texture, I have to forego any recipe, like this one or the famous pecan cake, that contains it.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 AM   #150
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Cat, you're absolutely right about poly-D. Some people can't tolerate it at all. I saw the warnings about it and went for it anyway, and PD fortunately at worst my DH and I just produce more methane for a little while.

I think poly-d either was or still is used in ice cream to make it more pliable.

There is another sweetener, Tagatose, that has a similar effect on some people--once again, not us. Even Maltitol and Xylitol are well tolerated here. Just lucky I guess. But zucchini! Now that is something I truly cannot tolerate. Yuck-puke! That should come with a warning label as far as I am concerned.