Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #91
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
At least Trish's had the proper preservatives in it. I don't think Sweetzfree has any preservative in it, does it?
Tom, Sweetzfree definitely has preservatives. This is the ingredient list for the sucralose liquid concentrate/sweetzfree:

Water
74.250 %

Sucralose (SPLENDA® Brand)
25.000 %

Citric Acid, anhydrous
0.272 %

Sodium Citrate, hydrous
0.258 %

Potassium Sorbate (FCC)
0.110 %

Sodium Benzoate (FCC)
0.110 %
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #92
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Scott--one more question. Is the Nestle baking chocolate you're talking about the pre-melted stuff? (I'd forgotten all about it.) And if so, doen't that stuff have trans-fats in it?

I too would use the Ghirardelli baking chocolate if it were lower priced. That's why I use their cocoa--Super Target sells it for only a little more per ounce than Hershey's costs at other stores.
CW, Kevin's a big fan of the pre-melted stuff. I've never used it and am happy with the unsweetened bars. I tracked down the ingredients for the choco bake:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: COCOA, COCONUT OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL*, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS).

*Contributes an insignificant amount of trans fat.
So, yes, they do have a little trans fats, although the company feels it's a 'negligible' amount. As I said, I like the bars and have no trouble with melting chocolate in the microwave. Microwaving chocolate takes some care/patience to avoid scorching it, but it's one of the prices you pay for chocolate desserts- a price I gladly pay Besides, compared to using a double boiler, microwaving chocolate is a walk in the park!

I'm pretty anti-cocoa due to the extra processing involved, but Ghirardelli is a pretty good brand. If you can't find a reasonably price unsweetened chocolate, that's probably your best option. As long as you don't use Baker's brand chocolate- anything is better than that. The cocoa will require some tweaks to the recipe, though.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #93
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
CW, Kevin's a big fan of the pre-melted stuff.
Scott, I just ordered some Organic Raw Peeled Cacao Bean NIBS.

I may just get spoiled and never go back to the pre-melt again
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #94
scott123
Senior LCF Member

So you're giving the nibs a shot, huh? Are you going to use them as chips like Jude suggested?

Do you see yourself processing them into something smooth, perhaps?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #95
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"] Can you fellers tell me a little about the cacao nibs? I saw some in a Sunflower or Whole Foods Market awhile back (in another town, I don't have either), and wondered about them. But didn't really know what they are.
Thanks[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #96
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So you're giving the nibs a shot, huh? Are you going to use them as chips like Jude suggested?

Do you see yourself processing them into something smooth, perhaps?
I am most definitely going to do some chocolate liqueur.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #97
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Quote:
Tom, Sweetzfree definitely has preservatives. This is the ingredient list for the sucralose liquid concentrate/sweetzfree:

Water
74.250 %

Sucralose (SPLENDA® Brand)
25.000 %

Citric Acid, anhydrous
0.272 %

Sodium Citrate, hydrous
0.258 %

Potassium Sorbate (FCC)
0.110 %

Sodium Benzoate (FCC)
0.110 %
Glad to hear that. It actually lists those ingredients on the Sweetzfree label? Last year it only listed water and sucralose as ingredients.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #98
scott123
Senior LCF Member

The label does say only sucralose and water. It is incorrect. That's another one of the downsides of dealing with an unregulated purveyor- the label can say anything they feel like and nobody's checking up on them. It is sucralose and water, but it has some trace preservatives as well. Without the preservatives, it would start growing stuff after a couple of months.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #99
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I am most definitely going to do some chocolate liqueur.
I'm not sure how you plan on making it, but you might want to consider a blender rather than a food processor. The food processor will probably give you a gritty final product. Heat will help it liquefy/blend, as will the addition of a warm liquid fat. Just make sure no water gets in it or the cocoa particles will hydrate/seize. Also be aware of the quantity of liquid your blender requires to blend well. Some blenders have a hard time forming a vortex if there's not enough liquid present. Wide carafed blenders are especially problematic when it comes to forming a vortex and shouldn't be purchased in the first place. But that's another conversation
Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #100
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR="Red"] Can you fellers tell me a little about the cacao nibs? I saw some in a Sunflower or Whole Foods Market awhile back (in another town, I don't have either), and wondered about them. But didn't really know what they are.
Thanks[/COLOR]
From the Scharffen Berger website:

Quote:
Cacao Nibs are perfectly roasted cocoa beans separated from their husks and broken into small bits. They are the essence of chocolate. Nibs add crunchiness and subtle chocolate flavor to baked goods and savory dishes. They make a great substitute for roasted nuts or chocolate chips, without added sweetness. Packaged with suggestions for use in a 6-ounce nitrogen flushed mylar bag, they are a unique gift for the home baker.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #101
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Red"]Thanks Scott.
I did do some web searching after I posted the question.
I learned some about the nibs, but am still pretty confused as to how to use them tho, other than using them for chocolate chips in things.
Next time I'm down in Ft Collins at one of those stores, I may buy some to try.[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #102
gpisabela
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Where did you buy cocoa nibs from? I see that mercola web site has them on sale for three days ($9.95 for 16 oz), but I have no idea how much they should actually cost.
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #103
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
I've made this several times. I subbed Sweetzfree for the Splenda and Folger's decaf for the coffee crystals. The longer it sets, the better it tastes.
ENJOY!!!

Mockahlua

2 1/2 c. water
3 c. Splenda
3 T. instant coffee crystals
1 t. vanilla
1 bottle (750 milliliters) vodka

In a large pitcher or measuring cup, combine the water, Splenda, coffee crystals, and vanilla. Stir until the coffee and Splenda are completely dissolved.

Pour the mixture through a funnel into a 1.5 or 2 liter bottle. (a clean 1.5 liter "dark" wine bottle works fine as long as you've saved the cork) Pour in the Vodka. Cork, and shake well.

Yield: 32 servings of 1 1/2 oz.....a standard "shot". Each will have 2 grams of carbs, no fiber, and a trace of protein.

Sorry...........didn't mean to thread jack.

Last edited by Pam; 10-16-2006 at 06:34 PM..
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #104
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpisabela View Post
Where did you buy cocoa nibs from? I see that mercola web site has them on sale for three days ($9.95 for 16 oz), but I have no idea how much they should actually cost.
You know I just checked that website and it's $19.95 for 16oz...bummer!! The going rate as far as I can tell, if you buy one pound starts at $18.95.

Can't wait to hear kevin's reviews.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #105
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi View Post
You know I just checked that website and it's $19.95 for 16oz...bummer!! The going rate as far as I can tell, if you buy one pound starts at $18.95.

Can't wait to hear kevin's reviews.
they are actually $9.95 if you follow through and order them sugar. It doesn't show you that price till you order them and put them in your cart.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #106
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Red"]Seems to be the typical price (at least online). I found it at another site, and it was 9.99 for an 8 oz bag. They said "list price $12.99".

I found several sites that carried it, but don't remember now what the prices all were. Just did a search for cacao nibs.
OK, one site says 1# $16.00.

So I guess the 1# for $9.95 sale is a good price. I don't like Mercola tho, so I don't think I personally will/would order from him.

I don't remember what it cost at the store where I saw it the other day.[/COLOR]

Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #107
Freckles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Thanks Pam! This is just what I was looking for ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I've made this several times. I subbed Sweetzfree for the Splenda and Folger's decaf for the coffee crystals. The longer it sets, the better it tastes.
ENJOY!!!

Mockahlua

2 1/2 c. water
3 c. Splenda
3 T. instant coffee crystals
1 t. vanilla
1 bottle (750 milliliters) vodka

In a large pitcher or measuring cup, combine the water, Splenda, coffee crystals, and vanilla. Stir until the coffee and Splenda are completely dissolved.

Pour the mixture through a funnel into a 1.5 or 2 liter bottle. (a clean 1.5 liter "dark" wine bottle works fine as long as you've saved the cork) Pour in the Vodka. Cork, and shake well.

Yield: 32 servings of 1 1/2 oz.....a standard "shot". Each will have 2 grams of carbs, no fiber, and a trace of protein.

Sorry...........didn't mean to thread jack.
I considered apologizing for the thread jack, but this thread was already jacked, lol. [COLOR="Blue"]Kevin, Mockahlua ******ic Brownies [/COLOR] !! I think I may have to go for the dryer version of these brownies with coffee added to the batter and then soak or drizzle them with Mockahlua glaze... Woweee! Ok, I think I'm back OT

I read some recipes for Kahlua that suggest using brandy instead of vodka for a richer taste, hmmm... never tried that. But it is better after aging at least a month.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #108
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Pam, it occurs to me that one could use your recipe and leave out the water for a more concentrated liquer to use in cooking, if not desired for drinking. (And those days happen to be in the past for me anyway.)

Also, I wonder if adding polydextrose and/or erythritol would be desirable for flavor and/or texture.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #109
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Pam, it occurs to me that one could use your recipe and leave out the water for a more concentrated liquer to use in cooking, if not desired for drinking. (And those days happen to be in the past for me anyway.)

Also, I wonder if adding polydextrose and/or erythritol would be desirable for flavor and/or texture.
You could add some glycerin. It would be less watery.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #110
louam
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: louam
Stats: 245/230/140
Actually.....there is no liquor in chocolate liqueur. I do believe it is just roasted ground cacoa beans in a natural state, no additives.
louam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #111
Freckles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
You could add some glycerin. It would be less watery.
My old recipe called for glycerin. I tried it with and without and liked it just as well without the glycerin.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #112
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure how you plan on making it, but you might want to consider a blender rather than a food processor. The food processor will probably give you a gritty final product. Heat will help it liquefy/blend, as will the addition of a warm liquid fat. Just make sure no water gets in it or the cocoa particles will hydrate/seize. Also be aware of the quantity of liquid your blender requires to blend well. Some blenders have a hard time forming a vortex if there's not enough liquid present. Wide carafed blenders are especially problematic when it comes to forming a vortex and shouldn't be purchased in the first place. But that's another conversation
Scott, This is about 1 T. of nibs that I ground in my small coffee grinder. Do you think I need to get it finer? The magnification of this lense makes the powder look much coarser than looking at it with the naked eye. Although it is no where near as fine as say processed cocoa powder.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #113
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Kevin, for the course texture of a biscotti (which I noticed you created in another thread) this texture should work great. For something like a brownie, though... I'd think you'd want it finer. To be honest, I'm surprised you were able to get it that fine with a coffee grinder. I would have thought the cocoa butter would have started liquefying due to the heat of grinding.

Chocolate liqueur (completely free of alcohol as Louam posted above) is made by pulverizing the roasted beans with massive steel rollers. This mechanical process is called conching. The longer the liqueur is conched, the smaller the particle size, the smoother the chocolate. Once the conching is completed, the liqueur can be pressed to extract the cocoa butter from the cocoa solids. This is how cocoa is made and is the reason why cocoa has such fine particles- they've been pulverized over and over again by steel rollers.

Blending might give you a finely particled chocolate liqueur but you'll need to heat the beans and add enough heated oil/cocoa butter to get a liquid enough mixture to blend. Maybe. I've tried to blend nut butters in this fashion with mixed results.

I have to admit that cocoa nibs don't hold a lot of interest for me. I've been known to consume a chocolate covered expresso bean or two in my time, but for the most part, roasted beans don't do it for me texture wise- I'd much rather have the silky smooth texture of a thoroughly conched chocolate liqueur.

I am anti-processing, though, preferring bar chocolate to cocoa. Nibs are a step back on the processing ladder, so in that sense, they may have a purer, less processed flavor. I'm just not sure I can get around the texture.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:24 AM   #114
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
To be honest, I'm surprised you were able to get it that fine with a coffee grinder. I would have thought the cocoa butter would have started liquefying due to the heat of grinding.
I'm going to guess it is because the grinder I use is very small and really does not gererate much heat.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #115
sugarno
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarno
Laura asked about substituting for the Carbalose in the Brownies. I was interested in finding out about the almond flour that she asked about. Has anyone tried that instead?

Carbalose would raise my bgs. It would be great to be able to have these!

Karen
sugarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #116
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarno View Post
Carbalose would raise my bgs.
Karen, are you sure about this? Carbalose has 17 net carbs per 100 g, making it mostly fiber and protein. Almond flour, per 100g, has about 9 net carbs. Carbalose has about twice the carbs, but in the context of this recipe (1/2 C. is about 50 g, which, in turn, is 8.5 net carbs) it really shouldn't have that much impact on your bgs.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #117
sugarno
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarno
Scott, I have never used carbalose but other diabetics say it raises their bgs while the almond flour does not. (Others say it is fine.) I just wanted to play it safe and not buy some and find out it won't work for me.

Has anyone tried these with almond flour or would that be a total flop?

Karen
sugarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #118
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Karen, order some carbalose and make these brownies. You have my guarantee, the carbalose will not raise your bgs. You also have my guarantee that these will be the best low carb baked good you've ever come across. This recipe marks the culmination of a great deal of research and experimentation. The textural sugar sub (polyd), the multiple sweeteners, the carbalose- this is cutting edge lc home baking.

Almond flour makes an okay brownie (I have recipes from a few years back) but it's not as good as carbalose. As far as subbing almond flour for carbalose... it can't be done. They're too different. Almond flour has a much higher percentage of fat and carbalose contains structure providing gluten. Apples and oranges.

Make the brownies
Old 12-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #119
ItsTheWooo
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
Scott,
First, thanks for the recipe, this is like the best thing done for low carbers everywhere LOL.

When I made the brownies, they were like the perfect texture while warm, however, when they cooled they kinda became exactly like fudge, extremely dense and smooth.
I never thought I would say this, but, they weren't cakey enough; I like my brownies more cookie-like.

How would you suggest altering this recipe to obtain what I'm looking for? I was contemplating altering the polyd/carbalose blend to be more like Linda Sue's peanut butter bars (which are based on this recipe)... she uses .75 cup carbalose to .5 cup polyd (since the original recipe has 1.5 cups worth of "bulk" I could do maybe something like .8 carbalose to .7 polyd?)
When I made the peanut butter bars, I was very pleased with that texture, it was very cookie-like; "fudgy" and chewy, yet still a discernable baked good quality (i.e. not totally chewy fudge).

Do you think that would work? I'm scared to try because I am not knowledgable enough to know if my tweeks are appropriate.

Thanks
ItsTheWooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #120
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Nora, you're welcome!

I think I understand what you're trying to acheive. I have some tweaks in mind, but before I jump in, I wanted to make absolutely sure you've tried the long baking time/low temp version of the recipe (80-90 minutes at 275). The 50 minute at 300 version will produce something extremely fudgey, and, for some people, will taste undercooked (I can't eat them this way). And then there's the extremely outdated 325 degree version, which is, imo, just plain raw tasting.

Last edited by scott123; 12-17-2006 at 03:51 AM..