Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #61
notfatforlong
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: notfatforlong
Stats: 194/148/140 Restart 180/138/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/04 Restart 1/03/08
Thank you very much, I will use Spenda because I already have that.
Cindy
At late or early hour.
Now is the only time you own.
Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time.
For the clock may soon be still.
notfatforlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #62
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think a pouch of Splenda Quick Pack is 1 teaspoon of powder, so half a teaspoon would be equivalent to half a cup of sugar, etc.
Tom, a while back you posted this quote from the splenda website:

Quote:
Each SPLENDA® QUICK PACK™ Pouch contains approximately 1 teaspoon in volume and is equivalent to the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar.
If the volume is only approximate, that's going to make measuring amounts smaller than a cup very difficult. At least measuring them with any precision.

For precise measurement, I'm thinking the packets will need to be combined with a bulking agent, such as granular erythritol or isomalt.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #63
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
For precise measurement, I'm thinking the packets will need to be combined with a bulking agent, such as granular erythritol or isomalt.
That is probably the better method as long as you know which bulking agent you are going to use.

I haven't confirmed whether it is exactly a teaspoon or not, but I suspect it will be very consistent amongst all pouches.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #64
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
but I suspect it will be very consistent amongst all pouches.

This is true by weight but not so much by volume.

one box, 5 packs are net wt. 20g or 4g per cup........once you get smaller than 1/4 cup(1g) you need a scale that weighs mg.

Bottom line though......they are super conveinent and LC when you need 1 cup.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #65
Bfranke
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
They might be wonderful to mix with the isomalt. 40% as sweet as sugar, right...not sure how much isomalt you would need with 1 pouch (cup) of splenda, but might be the way to make measuring easier. What do you think?
Bet 2 c Isomalt (.8 cup of sweetener), 1 pouch of the splenda (1 c sweetener), and 1 pkt of sweet one, would be 2 cups of sweetener.
Maybe would work the same way with erythritol?
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #66
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Scott,
I got in my Erythritol yesterday evening. It was too late for me to bake the brownies last night. But......
I made them today. YUMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will cut back on the butter next time tho and replace with some type oil. They have just a tad too much butter taste for me (but that's me, not a huge butter flavor fan).
And tho I said I love gooey, which I do, I found that after 35 min they still actually weren't done. Toothpick didn't come out clean. So I turned the oven off, and left them for 15-20 mins more (checking off and on with toothpick). They are still nice a gooey. Finally a fudgey, gooey LC brownie. And so far the Erithitol/PolyD hasn't hurt me.
(I actually made a good fudgy brownie using Xylito/PolyD, but they caused me serious pain. DH could eat them, but when I tried I cried.)
I can eat things with Xylitol, and things with PolyD, but not the combo.

I cut mine into 12 squares. My Master Cook says 12 are 3 net carbs.
(I've eaten 2 today. Had to try one hot, and one cold. They taste even better cool!) I'll have to start limiting them to 1 a day now.

Thank you Scott!!!!!!!!!!! [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 AM   #67
louam
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: louam
Stats: 245/230/140
Portion control became a problem for me, it was hard to eat just one.
So I cut them and wrappped them carefully and put them in the freezer thinking this would help me eat less.....after all I would have to thaw them to eat them right? NO...they are good straight from the freezer too.... but luckily (or unluckily) I have to watch my polyd intake so portion control got a bit easier!!
louam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #68
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Okay, the fudgey version baking directions for this brownie seem to be producing a little too raw of a brownie for a few people. Enough people that I think it's time to change the recipe. Here is the updated version:

Brownies

Wet

1 stick butter (salted)
2 ounces Nestle's unsweetened chocolate

2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 packet Sweet One Ace-K
13 drops sweetzfree (1/2 C. splenda equivalent)

Dry

1/2 cup Carbalose flour 50 g
1 cup polydextrose 180 g
1/4 cup granular erythritol 54 g

1/2 C. Chopped Pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Butter an 8x8 aluminum pan.

In a large glass bowl, melt butter and chocolate in microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Make sure chocolate is completely melted. Let chocolate cool briefly, then mix in remaining wet ingredients, whisking in eggs last.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk thoroughly to break up any clumps of carbalose. Slowly pour dry into wet while stirring. Fold in nuts if using.

Pour batter into pan and pound on counter a few times to get as much air out as possible.

Bake 80-90 minutes at 275. 20 minutes past when a toothpick comes out clean.

Cut into 6 squares. Let cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

Notes

Nestle's unsweetened chocolate is far superior to Baker's brand.

This makes a dense moist chewy brownie with crispy edges. For those that like their brownies on the fudgey side,

Bake 50 minutes at 300

baking them until a toothpick comes out clean (check after 40 min).

Excess air will make these brownies cakey rather than dense. The ingredients need to be well mixed, but try not to overmix/incorporate too much air. Don't be afraid to give the batter a good pounding before it goes in the oven.

The sweetener in this comes out about 1 1/4 cups. Multiple sweeteners are essential to the success of the recipe.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #69
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Scott, thanks for the recipe--I made them with Ghiradelli (or whatever) cocoa (with extra virgin olive oil to supplement) and it came out great, but I'd like to try it with Nestle's baking chocolate. Where do you buy it?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #70
KatKrazy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KatKrazy
Start Date: February 2005
Has anyone had success using granular Splenda instead of sweetzfree? I'd like to try these but don't have sweetzfree. Thanks.
Kat
KatKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #71
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKrazy View Post
Has anyone had success using granular Splenda instead of sweetzfree? I'd like to try these but don't have sweetzfree. Thanks.
Kat
Kat, there would be no difference between granular splenda and sweetzfree other than the 24 extra per cup of granular splenda. The taste and texture would be the same.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #72
KatKrazy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KatKrazy
Start Date: February 2005
Thanks, Kevin.
KatKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #73
scott123
Senior LCF Member

CW, I get Nestle unsweetened chocolate at the supermarket. Just about every supermarket near me (northern NJ) carries it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #74
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
CW, I get Nestle unsweetened chocolate at the supermarket. Just about every supermarket near me (northern NJ) carries it.
Thanks, Scott. Here in North Carolina I haven't found it yet, but I'll look around again.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #75
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Oh, btw, if you can get Ghirardelli unsweetened chocolate, that will work better than Nestle. I chose Nestle due to the price point. Ghirardelli costs quite a bit more per pound but the quality is definitely superior. The intensity of flavor/bitterness seems to be in a similar range as well, so you won't have to change the amount of sweeteners. With something like Scharfenberger, you'd definitely have to adjust the recipe.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #76
jackieba
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
I can get Nestle's premelted chocolate here at super walmart but I can't find Ghiradelli's.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #77
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Freckles, according to my calculations, your sweeteners came out to about 2 1/4 cups sweetening equivalent. That's almost double the sweetness in the recipe. Are the brownies a little sweet to you?

As far as the blood sugar spike goes, the most likely culprit is the isomalt in the diabetisweet. Isomalt isn't off the chart glycemically, but it does have some impact.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #78
Freckles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Quote:
Freckles, according to my calculations, your sweeteners came out to about 2 1/4 cups sweetening equivalent. That's almost double the sweetness in the recipe. Are the brownies a little sweet to you?

As far as the blood sugar spike goes, the most likely culprit is the isomalt in the diabetisweet. Isomalt isn't off the chart glycemically, but it does have some impact.
I don't know how to calculate the sweetening power of the sugar subs, but it is sweet. I was afraid to add a full cup of polyd, so went with half diabetasweet to keep the bulk. Diabetsweet already has the nasty tasting Ace-K, so I wasn't sure it needed the additional sweetener. But when I tasted the batter it was still a little bitter (only have Baker's chocolate on hand), so I added the packet of cyclamate. I added pecans, baked it in a small rectangular glass pan, and served in in very tiny slices topped with whipped cream. It is nearly fudge, both in sweetness and density (doesn't have the texture of fudge). It was too rich for me to eat without the cream and something to drink. dh and ds both loved them.

Checked my ketones today and they were lighter, but still present, so it didn't knock me completely out and I haven't had any craving problems.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #79
rrosser
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I just got my SPLENDA® QUICK PACK™ and I noticed on the back of the package it says "Not intended for cooking and baking." Has anyone tried it in baked goods and if so how did it turn out? According to Splenda the Quick Packs are for sweetening beverages only. Bummer...........
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #80
Bfranke
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I used it in Pami's Pumpkin Nut cookies and in Pumpkin Spice Cake (a la Cathy). Worked just great. For one cup of sweetening, I used 1/2 Quik Pack and 1/4 c Xylitol. Almost too sweet for me. May adjust a bit downward next time.
Bette

By the way I found it in a local grocery store for $2.89 per little box (5 pack) and see that they are running an ad this next week for 33% off. Of course, I will have to buy more. I will probably use this in any Christmas cookies this year, even the sugar ones, and reduce the sugar. Who will know, if I don't tell them?

Last edited by Bfranke; 10-14-2006 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #81
Tom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosser View Post
I just got my SPLENDA® QUICK PACK™ and I noticed on the back of the package it says "Not intended for cooking and baking." Has anyone tried it in baked goods and if so how did it turn out? According to Splenda the Quick Packs are for sweetening beverages only. Bummer...........
The Splenda Quick Pack ingredients are the same ingredients as the Splenda Packets except there is much less of the dextrose and maltodextrin so it should be fine for baking.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #82
rrosser
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
Thanks Tom. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #83
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
anybody know if the splenda quick packs are better to use than the liquid splenda? how do they compare carb wise, say cup per cup? if it's the same or near to it, i think i'll switch to the quick packs. while i am okay using the liquid, the idea that someone makes up the recipe , compared to a big factory,kinda makes me worry about what actually is in it. any input? thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #84
Bfranke
Senior LCF Member

Since most of us have had a hard time finding the liquid, I think the splenda quick packs are great. Best thing the Splenda people have done, since they are reluctant to get legal liquid splenda on the market. I know there are a couple out there, but many of us bought bootlegged splenda in the past. I am really happy with this new stuff, and it is less expensive, I think, than the bootlegged stuff.
Bette
Old 10-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #85
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieg View Post
while i am okay using the liquid, the idea that someone makes up the recipe , compared to a big factory,kinda makes me worry about what actually is in it.
Annie, no one that I know is combining ingredients to make liquid splenda. That's not how it works. They purchase the liquid concentrate and re-bottle it. As far as the conditions where the liquid concentrate is re-bottled- those are an x factor. Is it a clean room? Are the bottles clean? Maybe, maybe not. If you want to be concerned/seek out other forms of splenda, go for it, but don't do under the pretense that anyone is actually mixing sucralose and water. That doesn't occur.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #86
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I'm not so sure about that - the stuff I used to buy from Trish (zero carb syrup concentrate) wasn't as concentrated as the Sweetzfree, which isn't as concentrated as some I bought from a guy in Australia! So they MUST be diluting it and repackaging it....don't you think??

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 10-15-2006 at 07:47 PM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #87
Tom
Administrator

At least Trish's had the proper preservatives in it. I don't think Sweetzfree has any preservative in it, does it?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #88
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]One question annieg asked that hasn't been answered here yet, was about carbs. Yes, the quick packs do have more carbs than the liquid Splenda (Such as Sweetzfree), as there are 0 carbs in the liquid. Granted there aren't many in the Quick Packs, but they do have 3.3 g per pack. (One cup equivalent) Netrition says less than .5 g per serving (1/8th pack).

I too am glad that McNeil finally listened to people, and got the carb count down at least that much, even if they won't sell liquid Splenda to the consumer. [/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #89
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Scott--one more question. Is the Nestle baking chocolate you're talking about the pre-melted stuff? (I'd forgotten all about it.) And if so, doen't that stuff have trans-fats in it?

I too would use the Ghiradelli baking chocolate if it were lower priced. That's why I use their cocoa--Super Target sells it for only a little more per ounce than Hershey's costs at other stores.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #90
scott123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I'm not so sure about that - the stuff I used to buy from Trish (zero carb syrup concentrate) wasn't as concentrated as the Sweetzfree, which isn't as concentrated as some I bought from a guy in Australia! So they MUST be diluting it and repackaging it....don't you think??
Char, no one is combining ingredients. I didn't say was Trish was definitely combining the liquid concentrate with water. I believe she was diluting in this fashion to be compliant with McNeil's wishes- that somehow a diluted version of their liquid concentrate was okay to sell, but not the full strength version (sweetzfree). Or at least that's how I heard it. Trish definitely was adding water, though.

As far as the Australian source (Dale) being stronger than sweetzfree... I'm certain this is not the case. Dale sells sucralose liquid concentrate (from the company/same stuff as sweetzfree) with instructions for diluting it to a strength similar to Trish's- to make it easier to measure. Now... Dale might have changed the product somewhere along the line. Maybe at some point it was diluted or maybe it was a mix. Right now... It's sweetzfree.

Splenda used to be sold by McNeil, but at some point they transfered the commercial sales to Tate & Lyle. Tate & Lyle sells it in two forms, a liquid and a powder. The liquid is what's being sold on the 'gray' market.

Sucralose liquid concentrate + repackaging = sweetzfree = Dale's product

These are unregulated products with big question marks as to the conditions under which they are re-packaged, but... the original product is all the same. Sucralose liquid concentrate, sold my Tate & Lyle, a 25% sucralose solution, which includes water and assorted preservatives.