Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #31
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
No worries, but is it ground up flax or whole? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #32
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Bob's Red Mill golden flaxseed meal, which, because the operative word being "meal," would seem to indicate (at least to me) that it's a coarse grind. I'm not sure I've ever seen a whole flaxseed, because this is the only brand I've ever used, so can't look at it and state definitively that it's ground. It looks like it is, but not at all finely. Bottom line? I believe that as long as you use golden flaxseed meal, you'll end up with the right texture. Try to find Bob's if you can. Perfect texture and excellent flavor.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #33
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Whole flax seeds look rather like sesame seeds, maybe they're a bit larger. There are the regular, dark ones, and then there are the lighter, golden (blonde) ones.

If they're not pointy-tipped little seeds reminiscent of sesame seeds, but a meal, then - yup - that would be ground up!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #34
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks, Cat. I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know if it works for me.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #35
dizneegirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Just a note - whole flaxseeds are indigestible, and apparently, extremely hard (if not impossible) to crack by chewing. Good for fiber, maybe, but you won't get any of the health benefits from them, nor will they act as a flour sub. You'll need to either buy meal (store in the freezer so it won't go rancid), or buy the whole seeds and run them through a coffee grinder/blender/food processor to create meal (cheaper, and whole seeds are shelf stable - just grind what you need when you need it).
Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #36
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneegirl View Post
Just a note - whole flaxseeds are indigestible, and apparently, extremely hard (if not impossible) to crack by chewing. Good for fiber, maybe, but you won't get any of the health benefits from them, nor will they act as a flour sub. You'll need to either buy meal (store in the freezer so it won't go rancid), or buy the whole seeds and run them through a coffee grinder/blender/food processor to create meal (cheaper, and whole seeds are shelf stable - just grind what you need when you need it).
Well, there you go! Now I know why I haven't seen whole flaxseed. I love learning new things, so thanks for the info, diznee! I've seen a couple of brands other than Bob's, but they all have the word "meal" in the label.

I had noted in an earlier post about the necessity to store it in the freezer. This is true of nut flours or meals, as well, because all of these contain a large amount of natural oils, which are notorious for "turning," meaning becoming rancid, with surprising speed when they are exposed to temps higher than that of your fridge (or freezer) for prolonged periods. Here in south FL, I've known them to turn in a month (during the summer. AC can only do so much...) when not frozen.

Since many of these items are expensive, that should provide sufficient inducement to make room in the freezer for them. The best part about that is that even if you don't use them up in a long time, they will remain fresh tasting pretty much as long as you need them to.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #37
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cat - I tried the cereal this morning, it's not half bad for hot cereal. I did add some cinnamon along with the Sukrin gold and next time I'll reduce the chia seeds to 1 Tb, it was a little too gelatinous for me. I will definitely keep this in the breakfast arsenal though for a quick and filling meal. Thanks

Old 08-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #38
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

That's excellent, Tweaker! I'm so pleased to hear you liked it. You make a great point. I should have mentioned that if it tightens up too much, feel free to stir in more water, or almond milk to thin it out, then reheat for a few seconds. I douse the whole thing liberally in cream, so that's never been a problem for me. But depending on how long it rests, you're right, it can become way too thick and gooey.

If you cut back by half on the chia seed, BTW, you're losing some of the carb-negating effect of the fiber that chia provides. So if carbs are a big factor for you, perhaps as a first step you might want to try seeing if you can make the texture more palatable by thinning it out with liquid.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #39
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post

If you cut back by half on the chia seed, BTW, you're losing some of the carb-negating effect of the fiber that chia provides. So if carbs are a big factor for you, perhaps as a first step you might want to try seeing if you can make the texture more palatable by thinning it out with liquid.
Good point, Cat, and I hadn't thought of it. I will thin it out to a better consistency next time I make it. And maybe add more cream, I was kind of skimpy with it yesterday.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #40
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oh, my, Tweaker, NO!! No matter what you do, do NOT skimp on the cream! Or butter, either. The cereal is just a convenient excuse to indulge in both of those! (But shhhhh. That will stay our secret. I won't tell anyone if you won't!)
Old 08-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #41
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My lips are sealed!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #42
JohnF
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnF
hot cereal in a pie crust thread.

This should probably be in a cereal thread, but:

2 T hemp hearts
1 t ground flax meal
1 t whole chia seed
1 t oat fiber

I make a bunch of snack bags pre-loaded as above.

Then:

3 T water

Stir in the water and pop into the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Your looking for all the water to be gone. The "cereal" will look lacy on the bottom due the holes where the water boiled away and kind of dry. That's perfect.

1 hunk of butter (I would guess 1 to 2 T)
1 drizzle SF maple syrup

Stir while hot so the butter melts. It will start transforming and look edible.

1 swoosh heavy whipping cream.

Stir that in. Now the texture will be like tapioca pudding.

You'll have to decide whether you made a hot cereal for breakfast (or whatever your occasion) or something a little more pudding.

Enjoy!

Oh, I started with the flax/chia mix as above and that didn't work for me either.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #43
girlscout103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: girlscout103
WOW am i going to have me some cheese cake; first tho - has anyone tried substituting flavored SF jello or SF pudding for the sweetner??
girlscout103 is offline   Reply With Quote