Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
The Final Frontier

Over the next four months, I plan to be in active weight-loss mode. I've been in practice maintenance mode for the past six months; I learned a lot I didn't know I needed during that period, and I am ready to face the Final Frontier. My goal is get into the 150s (which is my goal range) and, if the fates allow, to see 150ish (the bottom end of the range). I've created this thread to record this adventure, for myself and others.

I haven't weighed 150 in about 50 years, so this is a big thing.

I weigh about 170 now. The Plan is to lose five lb adipose per month for four months.

I actually started on Jan 1, but the first week mostly countered the holiday treat-fest. Starting today, Jan 8, I feel as if the campaign begins in earnest.

Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Here's me over the weekend, coming home from tennis:

Old 01-08-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/147 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Good luck! Love the pic!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
I think your plan sounds do-able and realistic. You may have to really dial it in and/or tweak things as you get into the last 5-10. I'm glad you posted a pic - I can put a face with the name!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
pOrtia you look FABULOUS!! you look younger and younger all the time! If you don't mind, I will join you in this. I would love to lose 20 lbs in 4 months. Its not quite the final frontier for me as I will want to lose at least 30lb before I am finished but this will get me almost there. I'll be learning from you as you go thanks for being so vocal about your journey - it is great for me and I assume for others as well. And also you are incredibly inspiring!!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
pOrtia you look FABULOUS!! you look younger and younger all the time! If you don't mind, I will join you in this. I would love to lose 20 lbs in 4 months. Its not quite the final frontier for me as I will want to lose at least 30lb before I am finished but this will get me almost there. I'll be learning from you as you go thanks for being so vocal about your journey - it is great for me and I assume for others as well. And also you are incredibly inspiring!!
Please do join in! The more the merrier. Strength in numbers. And whatever other sayings you can think of!

One thing I should say: I believe strongly that the best one can do is to stick to plan. If the scale doesn't go where expected, in the time one expects, that's just one kind of useful feedback. If you stick to plan, you're already taking care of yourself in the best possible way and should be proud of it. If one decides to use the scale number to tweak the plan, great. But the battle is not with the scale number; the battle is sticking to plan. IMO. Gotta keep the eye on the long-term.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I think your plan sounds do-able and realistic. You may have to really dial it in and/or tweak things as you get into the last 5-10. I'm glad you posted a pic - I can put a face with the name!
Thanks, Casey. Glad to hear you think it's doable. I know myself well, even though it's been many years since I've been at this weight (25, to be exact), and I know that anything under 180 for me and it's like pulling teeth to lose weight. But I really like my toolkit, and am ready to put it to the test.

Indeed, I'm starting out in the "dialed in" state. No fooling. I'm going for it. I'm zero-calorie fasting M, T, W, followed up UD, DD, UD, UD. 1800/400 cals. I'm testing a theory that this pattern will result in the least hunger, most energy, and the most BF% reduction. Whether the "least hunger" part will continue past one week, I do not yet know. But I'm gonna find out.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
p0rtia- I'm right here cheering you along. I have 5-7 pounds of holiday bloat to tackle, but I need to get over this horrible bug I've been fighting and then right back to rotations for me. Your plan sounds great!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Here's my progression shot for the past 18 months. Represents a scale weight loss of 42 lb.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

So why 155?

155 is the middle of my proposed goal range. It's kind of a magic number for me, because it is both the number I bottomed out at after my first 100+ weight loss, and the number on the scale when I was 15–18 years old. Y'know, when I was first told I was fat.

Irony. I like it.

I often wonder what my eating life would have been like if I had not been told that I should weigh 120, and that weighing anything more was just wrong. All girls should weigh 120, right? Or was it 110? One of those number that we used to reference when talking about the female of the species (as in "She was a bombshell at 38, 22, 40 and 110"). I remember feeling guilty because I once set 140 lb as a reasonable goal--guilty because I thought I wasn't good enough to do the "real" goal. Oy oy oy. And so the circular firing squad began.

I've been thinking about set genetic weight points lately. I never really sat on any number long enough to experience what it feels like to stay at one weight for months and years on end without thinking about it. (That, btw, is what I call "normal eating.") I have no clue, and I guess I'll never know. But I'm willing to bet (without the guilt this time) that my weight set point is a heck of a lot higher than 120.

These days (happily) they don't give one number on the recommended scale weight charts, but rather give a range (120 to 160 for me at 5'7"). They talk about BMI. They take frame-size seriously and talk about wrist circumference (I'm a 7-incher). These days, 155 ticks all the squares for someone like me.

There were plenty of clues along the way something was wrong about my "recommended weight" when I was a kid. Like the time I (of course) declined some food because I said I was dieting (whether I was dieting or not, I had to say I was, otherwise people would think I was weak, right?). My boss at the time raised his eyebrows and said, "Why?" I told him I weighed 155. He said, "Oh, I thought you weighed like 120."
Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #11
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day 10 - Weighed in today at 169, which is a new low. I'm off!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/166.8/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
I have always weighed way more than my friends at same clothing size. In high school we would swap clothes. Everyone's mom thought I had an eating disorder, [Oprah had a show, I was just a skinny adolescent] when in fact I was probably 15 lbs heavier than their daughters. thankfully I don't really care about other people's numbers, though i find it weird how many of y'all are in the 110s! I like how i look at 150 ( though if i was a perfectionist, i guess I could lose a bit more. but I'm not) The trick is staying there!!!
(My dad would call those lighter girls "bird bones")
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
(My dad would call those lighter girls "bird bones")
Apart from individual variation, there can be dramatic demographic differences that account for the substantial variation in how people look at the same height and weight (iirc - there's a gallery of pictures that illustrates this on some site).

It's one of the reasons that different BMIs are recommended for South East Asians than Caucasians. E.g., in the UK, overweight and obesity for a SE Asian man start at 22-23 rather than 25. And this is related to the density of bones (amongst other reasons). The Metabolic Syndrome calculations and risk have to be computed differently.

The degree of lean body mass (muscle) varies from one country to another. I was taken aback when I read how low female lean body mass is in Italy - it's low enough to count as sarcopenia in some age-groups in other countries (using the Baumgartener equation). This makes them look far fluffier at some weights than other people would from other countries.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
For some of us who are significantly reduced there is also the issue of excess skin. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that I may have up to 10 pounds of it between my arms, thighs, and stomach. People typically guess that I weigh 10 pounds less than I actually do and that is probably in part based on their view of my face, lower arms, wrists, hands and lower legs where there is no excess skin. One day, hopefully soon, I'll get a consult for having my arms done and maybe a plastic surgeon can give a ballpark on the actual weight of my excess skin. I also imagine there is some weight to the hardware holding my spine together, so those things seem to make people think I weigh less than I actually do.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you are able to get your surgery done this year, Carly. I know you've been longing for it. As for me, the word liposuction floated across my consciousness the other day, which is unheard of (I don't like doctors, and am not bothered by my flab). I actually goggled to see if it was done under local or general anesthesia. Ha!

Almost 4 and I haven't eaten yet today, and have zero hunger (DD today). I'd love to believe it's because I'm in deep ketosis after my three day fast M, Tu, W, but I'm pretty sure my carb count was at least 60 yesterday, thanks to the incredibly fine Thai lunch. So actually I think it's just because tennis was awesome and I've been running around like crazy all day dealing with new A/C install and plumber visit and renter coming into the cottage in an hour. I was up at 6 cleaning again. Tons of energy.

Slim: Great stuff on body type and BMI, etc. I'm pretty sure I pack a lot of muscle, but who knows? I asked my PCP if I could do a BF%, body composition test or whatever (too lazy to check the right terms just now), but it wasn't in the cards.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Fourteen days into my January Push and I'm facing my first hitch.

To recap, my plan boils down to 3 z-fast days, 3 UDs, and 1 DD every week (not in that order). No problem with the DD and the ZDs, but I'm experiencing calorie creep on the UDs. I've stayed moderately LC (about 50 carbs) on the DDs, but have eaten to satiety on UDs, and "satiety" has been hard to satisfy.

None of that would matter if the scale was moving, or even if I felt like I was losing, but alas, neither of these things is much happening. The drastic increase in exercise may account for some of that, as I am packing on the muscle, but that doesn't explain why I'm not feeling any lose. Possible inflammation from pounding around on the tennis courts has resulted in water retention, but this sound like rationalization to me, and I'm so over that.

So back to calorie creep. My aim is 1800 calories on UDs (not exactly Spartan to start with, right?). Last week I ballooned to about 2000 a couple of times. This week, even though I quite happily skipped breakfast as per usual and broke my fast around noon on UDs, I was never below 2000--maybe as high as 2500 twice? That's still only 1500 cals a week over plan--not even half a pound. Odds bodkins.

Weird thing is that I have super energy, I feel awesome, and I'm never much hungry on ZDs and DDs. So that much of this experiment is working (reducing cals without increasing hunger). It's only when I actually start eating that I find it hard to stop. I know, I know, that's actually quite common. I readily admit that this could simply be a problem of not focusing enough or rewarding myself for the Z and D days.

So here I am on Day 1 of this week's z-fast, and feeling delighted about the prospect of not eating for 3 days. Go figure. Anyway, I'm gonna hope for a bit of a scale drop by Thursday, and if there isn't one, I may change up. I may switch to Z, Z, U, D, U, D, U, or even just EOD. Or I may go the other way and do Z, Z, Z, Z, U, D, U for the last two weeks of the month.

Or I may just recommit to capping UDs at 1800! Even at only a pound a week, I'll get there eventually. It's not like I didn't see this coming. There's a reason my goal range is the 150s!

And that's the way it is, Monday, 15 Jan, 2018.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post

I haven't weighed 150 in about 50 years, so this is a big thing.
Are you serious? This statement and your picture just don't jive!!!! Were you even here 50 years ago?

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Are you serious? This statement and your picture just don't jive!!!! Were you even here 50 years ago?
Haworth NJ, first year of high school.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I have heard that a woman should weigh 100 lbs at 5' and additional 5 lbs for every inch above that. This doesn't take bone structure into consideration at all. There is no way I will EVER weigh 115 lbs.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #20
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Haworth NJ, first year of high school.
You have taken very good care of yourself!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #21
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
You have taken very good care of yourself!
I wish (check my stats). But I do have the luxury of a very simple life, with unusually low stress levels. Lucky me, right? Don't smoke or drink and have always exercised a lot.

That said--I only post the pix where I look my best. You should see the outtakes!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #22
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day 2 of this week's 3-day z-fast. Strangely not at all hungry. Empty, yes, hungry, no. I'm curious to see if tomorrow I have my usual third day hunger pangs.

Maybe I got into ketosis last week and carried over the high-cal, low carb weekend. Wish I had remembered to bring my keto sticks (not that they ever work for me).
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #23
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Maybe I got into ketosis last week and carried over the high-cal, low carb weekend. Wish I had remembered to bring my keto sticks (not that they ever work for me).
Urine dilution. Switching to using ketones as fuel so fewer turn up in the urine (even the bloodstream and breath). Type of ketones that register on the sticks.

Some of the reasons why those sticks don't indicate much that is useful.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Urine dilution. Switching to using ketones as fuel so fewer turn up in the urine (even the bloodstream and breath). Type of ketones that register on the sticks.

Some of the reasons why those sticks don't indicate much that is useful.
Thanks, Slow. I figured as much, as I am a huge drinker of liquids. What do you think about the blood ketone/glucose meters? Been thinking of trying to pick one up.

And on a related note: Day 3 of this weeks zero-cal-fast, and I have zero hunger, and I mean At All. More evidence of ketosis, yes? This is the ninth z-fast day for me since Jan 1, so 9 out of 17 days z-fasting this month.

I can't believe I feel this good--ran around the tennis court this morning with full energy and feeling great. So good that I don't think I'd eat tomorrow, except that I'm taking a dear friend out to lunch, so I'll do an UD as scheduled.

The scale, on the other hand, does not care that I am eating like a very small bird that fasts three days a week. Fortunately, I don't much care. Had to tighten the draw string on my tennis short today--and have new lows on waist and arms. No complaints here.

I did reread some info about muscle v fat volume. Lots of misinfo concerning that issue online. The correct answer seems to be a 4:5 ratio (with 4 lb muscle having the same volume as 5 lb fat). I'm not sure that's really in play, though: I know I am putting on a lot of muscle, but still, my intake is my intake.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Slow. I figured as much, as I am a huge drinker of liquids. What do you think about the blood ketone/glucose meters? Been thinking of trying to pick one up....
I did reread some info about muscle v fat volume. Lots of misinfo concerning that issue online. The correct answer seems to be a 4:5 ratio (with 4 lb muscle having the same volume as 5 lb fat). I'm not sure that's really in play, though: I know I am putting on a lot of muscle, but still, my intake is my intake.
I think there are better uses for your money as there's limited information from any currently available technology that can add much to your own observation. E.g., you've noticed that you're smaller, and your appetite has disappeared.

If you'd like to see a reasonable overview that touches on ketone testing, this is decent tho' it doesn't delve into the complexities of acetone, acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutryate ketone bodies.

site: ketogains

post: Why I Stopped Testing my Ketones on a Ketogenic Diet

I second there being a lot of misinformation about muscle and fat - I have to say that I don't think the science is clear which doesn't help. Even the hydration of fat varies with body composition so it's not straightforward (interesting cadaver stories but it seems that the hydration of fat is the greater at the lower levels of body fat and the hydration of muscle varies for interesting reasons that extend beyond glycogen stores). Overall tho', yes, lean muscle occupies less volume than fat.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #26
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

If you'd like to see a reasonable overview that touches on ketone testing, this is decent tho' it doesn't delve into the complexities of acetone, acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutryate ketone bodies.

site: ketogains

post: Why I Stopped Testing my Ketones on a Ketogenic Diet
Thanks, as always, Slow. Super site. I'll be reading all evening.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 AM   #27
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

p0rtia - you've no idea how much it pleases me when I mention something that is useful to fellow JBs.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #28
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day 18. That sounds nice. It's always a good feeling when in WLM you look back and see the days and weeks on plan piling up. Really happy with my commitment this month, despite my wobble last weekend. For me, setting a goal is like quoting on a construction project: 10 percent above quote is acceptable and gets the job done.

Speaking of commitment, I'm ready thinking about next month, when my DSis will be here. Focus is everything with me, and even though she is onboard with JUDDD (she does 5:2), I tend to loose focus in amidst all the fun and snack out. I'm thinking maybe I'll do 5:2 with her--at least for the first two weeks. Her holiday cruise only ended a couple of days ago, and she's looking to get back to fighting weight, so if we eat together it should work out well (and did I mention she's an awesome cook?).

It's a big thing for me to be planning WLM a month at a time. I like the feel. It's worked/working for January. February will be the difficult month--losing 5 lb in the unknown territory of the 160's would be astounding.

That said, I still seem to have plenty of adipose tissue here and there. During the fall, I slimmed down in the thighs and shoulders. This month I'm slimming down around my middle. Fun to notice the incremental changes (no doubt augmented by the increased exercise here in Fla).

In the random WLM thoughts department: I'm thinking of starting a betting pool as to when the first person will say to me some variation on "Be careful you don't lose too much, now." Number 12 on my list of the idiotic things well-meaning people say to obese people like me who have never ever even been in the lower half of their weight range.

On with the day. Looking forward to breaking my 86 hour fast at one of my favorite local lunch joints. I'm picking up an elderly friend who is in a rehab facility and we're gonna party!

Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #29
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

In my many decades of weight-loss successes and failures, I have learned not to believe it when I think I've had an epiphany. They generally fade--though some turn out to be pieces in the puzzle of my personal weight management.

That said, I had a little epiphany this afternoon: I've been worried about keeping my cal count at 1800 on my UDs during my January push. Today, coming off my weekly three day z-fast, I had a nice LC lunch (cheese omelet, salad) of about 600 cals, and was absolutely stuffed. Then I went shopping. And I realized that as long as I don't eat again till supper time, I'll be just fine in terms of reaching satiety (which I just learned how to pronounce.

Very excited about this. I've gotten amazingly good at waiting a few hours (or days). I actually like it. And waiting when I'm stuffed to the gills is particularly easy. May seem simple, but I realized that I'd fallen back into the tendency to eat my way through the afternoon.

Really happy I kept LC for lunch. Plan to do the same at supper. The supermarket window was very encouraging (scale schmale).
Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #30
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day 22. Crazy busy weekend. Did great Thursday (UD), Friday (DD), and Saturday (UD), then went overboard on the cals again on Sunday (UD). Attempted to stay LC, and mostly did, except for a half-serving of Panera's black bean soup on Sat., which turned out to be loaded with carbs. Feeling bloated today--not experiencing my usual Monday woosh.

Z-fasting again today. Thinking of doing four days this week. Would like to experiment with a week that looks like ZD ZD ZD ZD UD DD UD. That would be a sort of compound tool to add to my toolbox. Still in the hunt for 165.