Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #391
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
There are lots of inspiring posts on the FB Potato Hack group. One lady just posted this morning that she is down 16 lbs. in 22 days! And the men there are doing just as well if not better. I think it works well if a person isn't a) having hormonal issue; b) near their goal weight. I think it takes awhile for it to work if a person is dealing with lots of inflammation, which I am. I think long-term it would be very beneficial for me, maybe not so much for weight loss but health reasons.
I've enjoyed watching friends here have success with the potato hack, but as far as I can see there is no pattern yet that explains who it works for and who it doesn't. Take me for example: I have no hormonal issues and am/was no where near my goal weight (+50 lb away at the time) when I did my week long hack. I enjoyed it immensely but lost next to nothing.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #392
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: 205/155/140
WOE: JUDDD
Potato hack works for me but I am not fond of doing the hack. I much prefer JUDDD! I do have the feeling my body needs a little shake up to get the weight moving and the PH has worked for me in the past. No idea how long this hack will be as I plan to just do it one day at a time. Last hack lasted half a day so we shall see!
My weight this morning was 156.9.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #393
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Made it through day 1 weighed in this morning at 155.2 so will probably do another PH day today.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #394
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
It seems to work well for you, Babs, even if you only do it for a couple days to shake things up. I believe that's how it's supposed to be done.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #395
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
It seems to work well for you, Babs, even if you only do it for a couple days to shake things up. I believe that's how it's supposed to be done.
I agree with you Carol. It is a good shake up and does work for me. I just wish I could motivate myself to do a few extra days of it! I think I will swap out a few UD's and that should speed things up for me anyway. Maybe every 3rd UD or something like that is a good plan.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #396
raishalini
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raishalini
Stats: 185/179/136 5'4.5"
WOE: JUDDD & IF
Start Date: January 2017
How much you lost Babs?

Did it go up or you maintained the loss?

I am thinking of one..today is a DD so only potatoes. I will miss my cup of milk with cocoa in the night though.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #397
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raishalini View Post
How much you lost Babs?

Did it go up or you maintained the loss?

I am thinking of one..today is a DD so only potatoes. I will miss my cup of milk with cocoa in the night though.
I only managed the one day. I have a house guest right now but plan to do a short few days of potato eating next week. I find I usually maintain any PH losses unless I do too many days and then I get a bit of rebound weight gain from missing to many foods and overeating.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #398
raishalini
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I only managed the one day. I have a house guest right now but plan to do a short few days of potato eating next week. I find I usually maintain any PH losses unless I do too many days and then I get a bit of rebound weight gain from missing to many foods and overeating.
I understand. I did potatoes DD yesterday but all the time was missing my usual veggies DD even though I include lots of potatoes in my diet minus oil/fat but it seemed hard to just do an UD eating potatoes

I didn't see much difference in weight though today.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #399
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Shalina-I tried an UD of potatoes once and I agree with you that it isn't very doable. I have found that it works well for me to just do the potato hack for a few days and then go back to JUDDD. Some people find that the potatoes do not cause thrm to lose weight at all so for some reason it works well for some and not for others. I am not that fond of plain potatoes so maybe that is why it works well for me when I do it.
I also wanted to say that I love your new picture!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #400
raishalini
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Babs

It's couple of months old when I started IF. I stay alone so very few pic I have and mostly selfie..unfortunately my lovely dog can't help me in that area

I like making a dish with boiled potatoes with bit of soaked tapioca and roasted peanut (10 gm) and love it. But with potato hack I can't have peanut or anything else. Though I noticed that potatoes are more filling on DD than veggies. I didn't feel any midnight hunger at all with potatoes.

I will try and bring myself up to doing a potato hack soon to see whether it helps me or not.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #401
Horsetrainer110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: LC
Start Date: 11/15/16 restart
I am on day 7 of PH, trying to do 14 days to reset my metabolism. I did not weigh the first 4 days, so I don't have a day by day blow to share. But this is what I did document.

Day 1 169.5
Day 4 166
Day 5 165
Day 6 165
Day 7 163.5 6 lbs lost.

I'm going to PH today and tomorrow, and then Friday I have lunch date with friends at Ruby Tuesday and plan on just doing the salad bar. Saturday I will go back on the PH for several more days. I want to lose 20 more lbs. Sigh.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #402
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Nice job Renee. Are you doing Resistant starch style? What recipes do you like best?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #403
Horsetrainer110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: LC
Start Date: 11/15/16 restart
Yes, resistant starch. I've just been roasting potatoes (gold are my fave), refridgerating them, eating the cold or room temp with malt vinegar, ff sour cream etc...

Today I am making potato soup. I will use ff chicken broth and instead of cream I think I put in a bit of ff sour cream and voila...Vichyssoise!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #404
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
You can repeatedly microwave and freeze a whole potato a few times and I believe that adds to the resistant starch content with each iteration.
I don't know how roasting works. But inversion temperatures are ~240 and ~120 if I recall. Heat it over 240 and all the RS is bio available, and under 120 all the RS is non bio available. You definitely want to eat it closer to that 120, and with every pass over 240 it adds to the RS content. I am not even sure, it may be lower, may even be 220 and 140.

RS is a new concept, many studies are yet to be done.
Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #405
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Also I am looking at something that seems to suggest - insulin sensitivity is at the center of the effectiveness of the PH or calorie restriction as well.

More insulin sensitive you are - the better Low calorie diets work.
More insulin resistant you are - the better LCHF diets work.

Results: Insulin-sensitive women on the HC/LF diet lost 13.5 ± 1.2% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW, whereas those on the LC/HF diet lost 6.8 ± 1.2% (p < 0.001; p < 0.002 between the groups). In contrast, among the insulin-resistant women, those on the LC/HF diet lost 13.4 ± 1.3% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW as compared with 8.5 ± 1.4% (p < 0.001) lost by those on the HC/LF diet (p < 0.04 between two groups). These differences could not be explained by changes in resting metabolic rate, activity, or intake. Overall, changes in Si were associated with the degree of weight loss (r = −0.57, p < 0.05).

Makes me wonder if I have hit the wall due to this reason - or am I now just being too big a baby and not fasting properly.

I may need to get to the point where I have nearly no grabbable fat and then go on a PH a few weeks.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #406
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Sounds yummy Renee. Great Luck!! I can't wait to hear your final results and retention success.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #407
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShrinkingWoman
Stats: HW 207 197/170/157 H-5'10
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 1, 2017
Decided I am going to attempt a 3 day potato hack. I haven't tried it before so I am not sure how well (or if) it will work for me. I need something to help me get back focused. Yesterday I really had to fight to keep it a DD. I feel diet fatigue coming on so I think I need to shake things up a bit. Cooked a crock pot full of peeled potatoes in some fat free organic chicken broth, and have several bags of the o'brien type square frozen potatoes. My hope is to see 178. If this works well I may do it next week as well to try and reach my monthly goal. Anyone know if it is okay to use instant potatoes?

Starting weight - 181.8
ShrinkingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 AM   #408
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Good luck!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #409
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I am starting PH Friday night. Seem to be stuck in the 155-160 range, true fasts are getting frustratingly slow, OMAD is my preferred way of eating but I tend to go off the scale with calories and in a lot of cases more carbs that I need to. I never get out of ketosis so my body has simply not been surprised, and its simply optimized the Fat in, fat out, no net loss, thank you very much stage.
Friday morning I think I'll be PH'ing - need to read up more on it. Coffee OK ? with potato milk ???

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #410
DWhalen4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DWhalen4
Stats: 267/242.8/167
I'm back to ph on my down days, although the past week was

Wed- UD 241
Thurs-MD
Fri-PH-241
Sat-PH-240.6
Sun-UUAD-239.2
Mon- med day 1200
Tues- PH-239.4
Wed-UD-237.4

For me the down day ph is the trick to keep moving down. I seem to have zero control with real food down days. On PH days I find it crazy easy. And as You can see the scale is moving again. Definitly something to be said for shaking things up and keeping your body guessing. I had about 2 weeks of up down with the same 2 lbs and not so great down days. Now I hit a new low.

For my PH days, I have coffee with fat free powdered cream. Usually 1 for breakfast and one at nite while hubs has his dinner.

I buy the bags of microwave potato's from walmart... one bag is 290 calories. I steam it for 7 minutes, then add salt, worstershire flavored pepper and I alternate between adding bbq sauce ( very little) liquid worstershire, or occasionally swanson fat free broth.

I find the bbq leaves me a little cravy so I do it the least, or if I really want it, I'll do a little with a few of the potato's and finish the meal with the worstershire so I clean my pallet.

I don't know if its the PH causing the weight loss or the low calories because I never go over 500 when I do it. But I'm never hungry - occasionally I'll have a baker also if I'm hungry but I seldom want or need it.

But in conclusion- the pot hack down day makes down days crazy easy for me. I did get burned out after 2 months of ph dd, so I took 2 weeks off ( using real food dd) and now I'm back to hacking and dropping weight. Whatever the reason... works for me.
4/1/17-242.8 (Lost 5.20)

Total Lbs loss to date: 24.20
Lbs left to Goal: 76
DWhalen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #411
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 257/213.6/140
WOE: LC/GF Fung Fasting
Start Date: 12/1/2001 then 5/29/13 restart 12/29/16
Having dinner tonight but I will be restarting potato hack tomorrow. Just did 2 days and it got me back down to my lowest. Been dinking around with the same 3-4 lbs for a month, it was time to get a move on. Ph got me back where I need to be to start making downward progress again. Family dinner tonight, hope to omad till then, and then potatoes for as long as I can stand them. Really want to get down to 215 before I break the hack. That's pushing it I know but with no progress for a month I really want to just go for it.
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #412
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Just revisiting this - for those who don't know my backstory, for various reasons I almost inadvertently did a PH for 4 weeks and I credit it with teaching me the clear blue line between eating for hunger and eating for other reasons.

For those of you who know, I was concerned that when I fractured my ankle, sprained and strained it a while back, I might have some weight maintenance problems because of my greatly reduced activity levels. I've been very aware that some carbs are more attractive to me than they have been for years.

However, I was keeping the notional idea that if that happened, I'd consider a reset with something like the PH. Now, for me, the idea of doing a PH again is enough to scare me straight. That said, I did do it for a relatively long time and I adhered rigorously to making the food 'low reward'. My results were not particularly impressive at the time and did lead to some weird bounces - but it taught me a lesson that has been invaluable to me.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #413
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Oddly enough fasts were easier in winter - atleast for me. One of those programming elements left over from our evolution ???
Potato hack starts on Saturday. Hope it can reset my eating habits.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #414
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Well day one of the potato hack was not as easy for me as I thought it would be. Turns out it isn't the potato I love so much as the stuff you put on it! Also it left me feeling very bloated and with a headache. I increased my water intake as well. Not sure if that is a detox effect or what. It ended up being a mid-day calorie wise, and while I wasn't hungry I didn't really feel satisfied either.

I am not a big fan of mid-days in general. I didn't drop an ounce, and I am not sure yet if I am just going to go ahead and make this an UD and tomorrow a DD and count yesterday as a MD cause I needed to switch my rotations around.

I am not a binge eater I am more of I would rather have the higher fat higher calorie food that I love and just keep it smaller than to eat a lot of something I really don't care for. I think that is why I do better just doing close to zero down days with the knowledge I can have something I really want the next day.

I haven't eaten anything yet today except some coffee with cream cause the thought of eating more plain potatoes is just not appealing at all. Not sure what I am going to do. I need Saturday to be an UD and was going to do the hack thru Friday. But I just feel so crappy I think I may be better off making this an UD and having a good DD Friday.

One thing it definitely did was reaffirm in my mind why I love Judd so much. I really wanted this to work for me but I think I may have jumped the gun wanting a quick weight drop. Thanks to all for the comments. I am so glad this works well for some of you. I still may potato my way through I haven't decided yet.

Starting weight - 181.8
After day 1- 181.8
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #415
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingWoman View Post
Well day one of the potato hack was not as easy for me as I thought it would be. Turns out it isn't the potato I love so much as the stuff you put on it
Before I did the PH I firmly believed that I adored the potato in many, many guises and was apprehensive that the PH might potentially be the wrong thing for me to do as it was inconceivable that eating potato wouldn't spark a desire to eat yet more potato. And, when I was growing up, it was understood that at least 2 types of potato, in vast quantities, were the mainstay of all our meals. For a long time, when I was younger and very active, it wasn't unusual for my main meal to have 2-3lbs of potato.

I, too, learned the hard way that much as I adore transformed potato (boiled then dressed with lemon and mint - either old or new potato; roast; mashed; baked etc. etc.) I was quickly sated by unseasoned/plain, boiled, or braised potato and could scarcely eat more than a few mouthfuls before I had to stop.

At one point, I couldn't even bear going into the kitchen because I knew that's where all of the unseasoned potato that I had absolutely no desire to eat was lurking.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #416
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
SW- I tried the potato hack twice I think, and both times I felt dreadful. I also felt dreadful on Stillmans (did that twice too.)

I'm a JUDDD girl, through and through.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #417
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
SW- I tried the potato hack twice I think, and both times I felt dreadful. I also felt dreadful on Stillmans (did that twice too.)

I'm a JUDDD girl, through and through.
Nothing would get me cheating faster than a WOE that's all about making food unappealing!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #418
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Well ended up ending the potato hack yesterday evening and just enjoying a lovely homemade lasagna dinner and salad with bread sticks, and instantly felt so much better. I don't know what it is about just eating potato that made me feel ill. I do 0 calorie down days all the time and feel fine, but all day plain potatoes I felt awful. Maybe I have a nightshade sensitivity or something.

Slow- I can not even imagine 4 weeks! That's some straight up iron will power! I could see being afraid to go into the kitchen thinking a naked potato is going to jump out at you.

Carly- Definitely finding out I am a Judd girl through and through as well.

Blue- I agree.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #419
MichelleHu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 257/213.6/140
WOE: LC/GF Fung Fasting
Start Date: 12/1/2001 then 5/29/13 restart 12/29/16
Down 2 after hacking yesterday. I did slip in a burger patty tonight. I needed the protein. Working very hard remodeling a house. But tomorrow will be potatos only again. 5 lbs to go to get to my next goal and I'm doing potatos all the way there! Then a nice big dinner! Woohoo!
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #420
Harley27330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Harley27330
Stats: 300+,242,188Ju
WOE: CC/LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Dec 2012/ Jan 2017
Hello Everyone, Just wondering if anyone is still doing the PH. I am not seeing any new threads. I have been doing Juddd for 9 months, ended up losing a total of 22 lbs but lost the same 10 lbs over and over. I decided quit living by the scales but continued the Juddd WOE . Two months later I weighed and I was up 16 lbs...ugh... I decided to try the PH and lost 4.4 lbs the first day!! So now on my 2nd day. Would like to know how it is going for everyone...Thanks
Harley27330 is offline   Reply With Quote