Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #241
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
omg! this was exactly what i was thinking about! i used to be on meds too. i have been without them for a couple years now but the struggle is so difficult. i am hoping my mental health improves. (i think it is already a little!)

thank you for sharing your story and joining us, k!
Thank you! It is lovely to hear from someone who kicked psychiatry to the curb. Then you also know the side effects, and how in some cases, they are worse than the symptoms you originally presented with, and how the Dr.s scare you so much you do not dare not take them. I did have some headaches, but here it is, when I got the notification that my (name of drug) levels were low, I stopped taking them, and started to HF/LC the next day. I already feel 100% better. I no longer must struggle to stay awake! I can actually stay up till midnight reading a book. I can actually get up in the morning! I have more energy! I am finishing my master's degree, and cannot imagine how I got the grades I did with all the drugs I was taking.
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #242
TooSweetForMe
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Kalyke, welcome to the forums. You'll get lots of help and suggestions - and a bunch o good recipes too!
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #243
Donna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna
WOE: LCHF, Paleo, Organic
Start Date: May 2013, April 2017
Hello from Virginia

Hi there,

I'm roaming around trying to learn what's here and found this intro thread. My name is Donna and I'm in Williamsburg, VA. I've had PCOS and then diabetes most of my life and have had good results with blood sugars if I stick to a Whole30 or strict paleo. Lately, though, I've been investigating other ways of eating that fit my desires as well as the diabetes, and my endocrinologist and I talked yesterday and she suggested LCHF. I trend toward organic eating and limiting additives, but I have to relax a little to get the diabetes back on track and keep it there.

I tried a couple Atkins snacks and they were pretty decent and look forward to browsing what Netrition has to offer. I purchased some carbulose (sp?) and want to play around with that. I've even found a nice nut cracker to make that has a bit of oats and flour in them; I'm thinking I could substitute carbulose.

Anyway, my mind is reeling with new ways of looking at food and am ready to make this happen. Looking forward to getting to know some of you along the way.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #244
Julesgia
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julesgia
Stats: 180/180/155
WOE: Ketogenic/Atkins
Start Date: April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post

Break the ice and introduce yourself here, so we can welcome our newcomers and get to know YOU.
There is a lot of diet support here, so don't be shy.. jump right in.. Tell us your plan (Atkins, South Beach, The Zone or just a low carb lifestyle, as well as non low carb diets, such as weight watchers or low calories or any program.. We welcome them all!!) and how you're doing.

This is a large site, so take some time to look around
Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends
For general dieting questions
Weight Loss Plans - Low Carb Friends
For a variety of different plans - check for a sub-forum for the plan you're on
LCF has a HUGE recipe forum, member driven by some wonderfully creative cooks
Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends
Question about supplements?
Vitamins and Supplements - Low Carb Friends
Need a little non-diet fun?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lounge/
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/game-room/
Not quite sure where or what? Join a Challenge with like-minded members
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/
Want to document your journey?
Weight Loss Journals - Low Carb Friends
And many more
Any time you have a question, please don't hesitate to contact the site:
LowCarbFriends.com Contact Form

Oh and please, do take a moment and read the "announcements" and other "stickies" pertaining to site rules
Hello, new to this site but not the eating plan. The ketogenic diet is what I term the plan because low carb eating is used to control or support control of seizures. It's particularly helpful in children but the challenge for them is the restrictions. As adults, it usually doesn't offer the complete control of seizures but supports, combats some side effects of meds..commonly weight gain, and increases brain functioning. I don't know if this is where many of these diets stemmed from but it doesn't matter. When using a ketogenic diet, it's geared to never leave ketosis state but I like to go slightly above because I feel better with a few more carbs. Over the past few years, I've had physical challenges because of increased seizures..a whole other topic..as a result I've had several surgeries and been basically bed ridden or very limited activity, fallen off the band wagon and gained weight too. It's been harder for me to commit and get a leg up this time around but my stamina is increasing and I'm ready to take serious action. I found this page and decided to join, get some support, and hopefully make a friend or 2. I am married with a 12 year old daughter so life is busy and that's my excuse. Hee hee. The difference between the ketogenic versus many of the other diets is fat is where the bulk of your calories are supposed to come from. I let mine run neck and neck with protein sometimes. I do use fats but I didn't notice a notable change in seizures with going high fat. I've used low carb eating for over 6 years. I lost a lot of weight and mental clarity was dramatically improved, seizures were a little less. I become highly involved with weight lifting which I was amazed at the results. I've been physically active all my life but motivation is dragging. I have had pitfalls at times when my health suffered but have jumped back on the wagon every time. This time I really think it was related to long term inactivity which resulted in very low stamina. I mean doing just the average house chores was a major undertaking. The good news is I am slowly coming back. I'm ready and in a state to resume exercise. I wouldn't be here if I mentally wasn't ready, just a little booster now and again and I love to support and educate others. I have done quite a bit of learning about how carbs affect brain activity and the importance of healthy fats and how eating low carb can be life altering. I'm psyched and ready. Being in a group does help..you're not alone in living a lifestyle which isn't commonly found, often frowned upon and misunderstood, finding foods and products can be a challenge..so working together lightens the load. Everyone in my family eats vastly different my daughter is a vegetarian, my husband has a naturally high metabolism and eats whatever he wants basically..and then there's me, lol..the strange picky eater. I'm ready to share, learn, support, give a pat on the back...and get back on track to wellness. Look forward to meeting new faces and thank you for offering a place for low carbers. Btw..how do get smilies to appear easily so you can choose them? "
Quote:
Not all who wander are lost.
Julesgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #245
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Julesgia! It sounds as if you have some challenges! Some you may have in common with many others here and some may be less common (i.e. the control of seizures). However, we mostly all share the desire to improve health and quality of life.

There is a specific nutritional ketosis forum here that you may find interesting. Here is a link....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=91

And of course, jump in on the main board!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #246
Julesgia
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julesgia
Stats: 180/180/155
WOE: Ketogenic/Atkins
Start Date: April 2017
Thanks! I will certainly check the link. I sorta modify the diet..some days I do eat a few more veggies or such but generally keep on the lower end of the carb scale. I think regardless of yours goal with this lifestyle the end result is improving overall health certainly supports any health issues anyone may have and I've been the proof. It can be an adequate way for children with epilepsy but it's not highly effective for adults. Boo! I like the fact it offsets mental dullness from meds and also helps me manage my weight. I've already seen tons of helpful info and can't wait to try some recipes..which was how I stumbled across this page. Again, many thanks!

Last edited by Julesgia; 04-07-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Julesgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #247
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Julesgia, are you measuring for ketones and if so, what is your method of measure? Many people find that ketostix are notoriously inaccurate and are using blood ketones and/or breath ketone devices.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #248
TooSweetForMe
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Hello everyone, and welcome to the forums.

Donna, I'm in Elizabeth City, NC - howdy, neighbor!
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #249
Donna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna
WOE: LCHF, Paleo, Organic
Start Date: May 2013, April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSweetForMe View Post
Hello everyone, and welcome to the forums.

Donna, I'm in Elizabeth City, NC - howdy, neighbor!
We aren't that far away at all
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #250
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Welcome Donna and Julesgia...your health is your number one priority....I have been working giving up things a little at a time over the last 5 years or doing things to improve my life.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #251
LaLa LC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LaLa LC
Stats: 316/290/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2017
Not new but never active on site before

Hi,

2X in the past I have lost 80+ lbs and then strayed way off the lc path & gained it all back. (Not to mention countless brief start/stops in between)
Most recently in 2013.

Determined 3rd time will be the charm.

Here we go again!

Thanks in advance for any & all advice & encouragement.
LaLa LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #252
mindynorms
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mindynorms
Stats: 183/169/140 5'2"
wave wave, Hi I'm new!
I'm in Ireland so I'll probably miss all the fun due to time differences but sure I'll reply to posts while you're all asleep!
I'm about 10 days into low carb and I'm feeling great,it's not my first time and it won't be my last either I'll bet but one day at a time. One meal at a time!
mindynorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #253
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome LaLa LC and mindynorms.....most people have lost weight and gained it back your not alone. You can do it. This time around I didn't try to change everything all at one time it seemed to help. Best wishes to you both.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #254
mindynorms
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mindynorms
Stats: 183/169/140 5'2"
thanks puppy love x
mindynorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #255
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BDParrish
Stats: 192.5/153.5/original goal was 165
WOE: CAD/CALP Rachael Heller
Start Date: January 14, 2017
A 60-year-old man, I have never gone on a diet until recently. I have lost 25 lbs. since January 14th on the Carb Addicts Diet (approx. 12 weeks.) Now 5' 8.5" tall and 167 lbs., I am at 16% body fat and still losing. I came to the forum interested in the "2017 Carbohydrate Addicts" CAD/CALP Hangout" listed on the site menu here under "other plans."
BDParrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #256
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome BDParrish....You have done a great job since starting....keep up the great work. You got this!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #257
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome newbies and returners!!! Lots of support and info on the main board. Come join us!

We are butter together!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #258
gayandgray
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gayandgray
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa LC View Post
Hi,

2X in the past I have lost 80+ lbs and then strayed way off the lc path & gained it all back. (Not to mention countless brief start/stops in between)
Most recently in 2013.

Determined 3rd time will be the charm.

Here we go again!

Thanks in advance for any & all advice & encouragement.
Hi there La La LC! I'm in the same boat as you, not a newbie either and lost a lot of weight in the past and gained it back more than once! I'm not too sure if I want to try Atkins again or if I want to give South Beach a try?
gayandgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #259
capricapers
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
WOE: Ketogenic / Low Carb
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Back again after four years ~

In looking up some low carb recipes recently, many times found myself here. So wondered if my old account worked and viola ! It did. Amazed I remembered my password or even user name.

Now, to look around for some knowledge threads... Still believe in low carb/high fat.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #260
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back Capricapers...it's amazing the things we remember. You got this!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #261
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayandgray View Post
Hi there La La LC! I'm in the same boat as you, not a newbie either and lost a lot of weight in the past and gained it back more than once! I'm not too sure if I want to try Atkins again or if I want to give South Beach a try?
I think that in the intervening years of not doing a low carb woe, we become more insulin resistant and that might be a good focus to have. To recognize that there are ways to correct it (at least to some degree) and not think that the 'diet has failed you'. JMHO!

La La LC and Capricapers! And welcome back gayandgray! Jump in on the main board for lots of great info and support!

We are butter together!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #262
gigi3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gigi3
Hi,
I am a 48 yr old mom of 3.
Total weight I would like to lose is 80 - 85 lbs. that is a scary number.
I started under a week ago ... going lower carb- 70 - 100 per day. and forme it is working well. so far.
I feel I am going to have some adjustments for a few weeks, till I get the hang of this. So , bear with me a bit please.
gigi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #263
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome gigi3...adjustments as you go is normal. Wishing you great success. You got this!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #264
Milford
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Milford
Stats: 314
WOE: Diabetic
Hi All.

New person here. I'm 62 and Diabetic. Trying to go low carb, but not easy. Most of the food out there is Gluten Free, not low carb. Wife doesn't understand and keeps making cakes and casseroles with pasta, rice, and potatoes. Then she gets mad when I don't eat.
Trying to make my own, but some recipe always needs some exotic ingredient making it difficult to make. Mail order at worst. And the best part, if I do make something, I plan on having leftovers for a few days. But my wife eats most of it because she doesn't feel like making her own, or gets mad at me if I don't share.
Oh well. So much for my rant.
Milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #265
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hi Milford!!!

Why don't you have your wife sign up on LCF also? There's a lot of really great recipes on the Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions board that she can go through. It will help her understand this way of eating. She can get some really great legal recipes.

And as far as mail order.. Check out Netrition.. There is a link on top of the page.. They have great prices and flat rate shipping no matter how much you order.. I order from them a lot!

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #266
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Milford...Get your wife on board as Cheri suggested...not just diabetics low carb it's helped a lot of people with various ailments and diseases and people who just want to improve their overall health.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #267
Trade
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trade
Stats: 215/214/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/21/2017
I just stumbled on this forum searching for some data on net carbs. I'd like to lose a few pounds, maybe 14 so I can get down to an even 200. I weigh myself first thing in the morning with just underwear and a t shirt. I'm 6 feet, used to be 6'1" but I've lost about an inch in my old age.

I'll be 70 next month. My highest weight ever was 230 a few years back and I managed to drop down to 210 using low carbs. Then slowly over a couple of years it crept back up to 220. My younger son got married back in October and I bought a new suit for the wedding. I found myself between sizes. The 48L was too big and the 46L was a bit tight so I bought the 46L with the intention of losing back to 210. But it's been a struggle.

Trying to stay on 2000 calories a day is miserable. I get ravenously hungry. I dropped to 215 but the damn suit is still too tight. I measured my waist and it's 42 inches. I generally wear size 40 pants because the dirty little secret is that most clothing manufacturers play to our vanity and give the size 40's and extra 2 inches in the waist. But the size 40 pants that came with this suit are true to size, or maybe just an inch over. Bottom line, I like my clothes loose and comfortable.

But it's not just the clothes that are the issue. I have a roll of belly fat around my middle that I want to get rid of. It seems that all my excess weight goes to just that one place.

So my plan is to try eating 50 net carbs per day. It seems that if I go any lower than 50 that I have zero energy. Yesterday was my first day and my weight dropped from 215 to 214 and I feel pretty good.

I'm pretty well convinced that it is mainly sugar that is behind the obesity epidemic and that fat has gotten a bad rap. If I eat anything with a lot of carbs or sugar in it, I get ravenously, binge eating hungry shortly thereafter.

Besides that, I'm in that pre-diabetes category with an A1C in the 6.1-6.5 range, so I need to watch my sugar anyway. I also had a blocked LAD artery 2 years ago and had to have a stent so my cardiologist would probably have a fit with me going low carb. They keep wanting you to go low fat, and moderate protein which leaves you with nothing else but carbs, which as I said before, make me ravenously hungry.

I could go on, but I've already gone on too long so I'll stop there.
Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #268
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Trade....you can do this!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #269
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade View Post
I just stumbled on this forum searching for some data on net carbs. I'd like to lose a few pounds, maybe 14 so I can get down to an even 200. I weigh myself first thing in the morning with just underwear and a t shirt. I'm 6 feet, used to be 6'1" but I've lost about an inch in my old age.

I'll be 70 next month. My highest weight ever was 230 a few years back and I managed to drop down to 210 using low carbs. Then slowly over a couple of years it crept back up to 220. My younger son got married back in October and I bought a new suit for the wedding. I found myself between sizes. The 48L was too big and the 46L was a bit tight so I bought the 46L with the intention of losing back to 210. But it's been a struggle.

Trying to stay on 2000 calories a day is miserable. I get ravenously hungry. I dropped to 215 but the damn suit is still too tight. I measured my waist and it's 42 inches. I generally wear size 40 pants because the dirty little secret is that most clothing manufacturers play to our vanity and give the size 40's and extra 2 inches in the waist. But the size 40 pants that came with this suit are true to size, or maybe just an inch over. Bottom line, I like my clothes loose and comfortable.

But it's not just the clothes that are the issue. I have a roll of belly fat around my middle that I want to get rid of. It seems that all my excess weight goes to just that one place.

So my plan is to try eating 50 net carbs per day. It seems that if I go any lower than 50 that I have zero energy. Yesterday was my first day and my weight dropped from 215 to 214 and I feel pretty good.

I'm pretty well convinced that it is mainly sugar that is behind the obesity epidemic and that fat has gotten a bad rap. If I eat anything with a lot of carbs or sugar in it, I get ravenously, binge eating hungry shortly thereafter.

Besides that, I'm in that pre-diabetes category with an A1C in the 6.1-6.5 range, so I need to watch my sugar anyway. I also had a blocked LAD artery 2 years ago and had to have a stent so my cardiologist would probably have a fit with me going low carb. They keep wanting you to go low fat, and moderate protein which leaves you with nothing else but carbs, which as I said before, make me ravenously hungry.

I could go on, but I've already gone on too long so I'll stop there.
Welcome Trade!! I know what you mean about losing a inch because of getting older.. I used to be 5 feet and now I am a even 4' 11" lol!!!

When starting low carb, a lot of people lose energy.. but this is usually temporary!! If you find that you are not losing well on the 50 carbs a day, you may need to lower it a bit more. Since you are on that right now, you can slowly lower your carbs a little at a time until you are on Atkins 20 carb Induction.. You will naturally lose your huge appetite and then if you decide to go up the carbohydrate ladder, you can start adding things in after 2 weeks. I hope you enjoy the site!! You've stumbled on a great place to get information and support!! Again, welcome to the site!!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #270
Trade
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trade
Stats: 215/214/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/21/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Welcome Trade!! I know what you mean about losing a inch because of getting older.. I used to be 5 feet and now I am a even 4' 11" lol!!!

When starting low carb, a lot of people lose energy.. but this is usually temporary!! If you find that you are not losing well on the 50 carbs a day, you may need to lower it a bit more. Since you are on that right now, you can slowly lower your carbs a little at a time until you are on Atkins 20 carb Induction.. You will naturally lose your huge appetite and then if you decide to go up the carbohydrate ladder, you can start adding things in after 2 weeks. I hope you enjoy the site!! You've stumbled on a great place to get information and support!! Again, welcome to the site!!

cheri
Thanks Cheri. I think I might go a bit lower. I started out going with 100 net carbs a day and I was also cheating a bit, so I averaged 112 a day for 12 days and only dropped one lb. Now I've gone three days at 50, 50, and then 45 and my weight has stayed the same. The first two days at 50 were a bit hard, but yesterday was easier even at 45. Today I'm going to shoot for 40.
Trade is offline   Reply With Quote