Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #301
pjhoard
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pjhoard
WOE: Doc Weight Loss
Start Date: 5/2/2017
Introducing myself, Hi I'm Pam from Jax Fl

CrazyCatMom;17531672]

Hey there, just thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I am on the doc weight loss program which I get the lypo b12 shots weekly or bi-wkly, as well at the low carb high protein diet. My first month I have to be on protein only but I do take a bite of a dark veggie from time to time when I'm craving it, but out of the 3 weeks as of this Wed that I have been on the program I haven't cheated and on Mothers Day I had a bite of some carbs, and two vodka flavored alcohol with crystal light and soda water with lime, can alcohol wreck my diet? And My first week I lost 8 lbs, My second week I stayed the same, this was so DAMN DEPRESSING , because I didn't cheat at all and had only protein.

Now I go to get weighed in this Wed which will be week 3, Is this normal to lose weight the first week, not lose the second week but stayed the same, and what should I expect the third week? Hoping I lose weight.. My clothes feel looser so I know i'm losing weight.

My other concern is the ketosis dip sticks, ha... They can be just as addicting as having scales in the home to keep and eye on the weight, thank God! I don't keep scales in my home.. But them dip sticks can play a role too that will drive one crazy, and especially me with only being in the purpole color 3 times out of the 18 days I have been on the high protein diet.

I was wondering why I don't stay in ketosis more?

pjhoard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #302
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Welcome Pjhoard. 8 pounds in 2 weeks is awesome congratulations! Many people state I haven't cheated at all then followed by items that technically fall under the category of cheating beware of that . Is it as bad as the person use to eat...no..could it have been worse..yes. Your in this for the long haul there will be bumps along the way. You got this!
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #303
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhoard View Post
CrazyCatMom;17531672]

Hey there, just thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I am on the doc weight loss program which I get the lypo b12 shots weekly or bi-wkly, as well at the low carb high protein diet. My first month I have to be on protein only but I do take a bite of a dark veggie from time to time when I'm craving it, but out of the 3 weeks as of this Wed that I have been on the program I haven't cheated and on Mothers Day I had a bite of some carbs, and two vodka flavored alcohol with crystal light and soda water with lime, can alcohol wreck my diet? And My first week I lost 8 lbs, My second week I stayed the same, this was so DAMN DEPRESSING , because I didn't cheat at all and had only protein.

Now I go to get weighed in this Wed which will be week 3, Is this normal to lose weight the first week, not lose the second week but stayed the same, and what should I expect the third week? Hoping I lose weight.. My clothes feel looser so I know i'm losing weight.

My other concern is the ketosis dip sticks, ha... They can be just as addicting as having scales in the home to keep and eye on the weight, thank God! I don't keep scales in my home.. But them dip sticks can play a role too that will drive one crazy, and especially me with only being in the purpole color 3 times out of the 18 days I have been on the high protein diet.

I was wondering why I don't stay in ketosis more?

Welcome! Your problem could be 'high' protein.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #304
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the site, I just found you all yesterday afternoon and registered. I am retired (early) and loving it, glad to be generally healthy and mobile. I lost some weight on LCHF about a year ago and then drifted away from the WOE. The more that I read and watch on YouTube, the more clear it is to me, that avoiding carbs is wise -- I have a family history of senile dementias, if not Alzheimers, and some other "chronic" disease situations. Now, I know that genetics is NOT epigenetics (or, I guess you could say, heredity is NOT destiny!! lol). Still, I've eaten a lot like those relatives, and the thickening waistline is a clear warning for me.

I'm fortunate to have a relatively supportive family circle, that, while not necessarily on a LCHF bandwagon, is engaged in being fit and eating mindfully. But everyone can use a little added support, eh? I think so!

My biggest challenge is turning down ice cream or breakfast sweets. I also have a hard time making lifting (strength training) and other exercise a priority. DH and I tend to get very wrapped up in projects and forget things like eating or exercise!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with everyone and becoming acquainted better!

Linda
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #305
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Linda! Congrats on your early retirement and your decision to eat better. Don't worry about exercise at this point. It is the time to concentrate on fixing your diet. As they say, "you can't out-exercised a bad diet'.

Join in on the main board!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #306
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Linda...you got this! I personally encourage you to incorporate daily exercise into your daily regimen for improving your overall health and truly living a healthy lifestyle. But this doesn't mean you have to start out at a high level, the time/amount/intensity can increase over time. You got this! Best wishes.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #307
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Thanks you two! Oh, I do exercise, it has always been a part of my life. In fact, I realized though, that for a while I was choosing exercise that didn't work for me. I like distance running but, it is too easy (for me) to overtrain doing that kind of endurance exercise. So I have switched to a lot of yoga, Pilates, easy walks, and strength training. Lifting is the one way I have been able to get my husband to get HIS exercise, and it's good for both of us.

Since retirement I definitely sit more than I need to. As you can tell I use the computer a good bit and sitting is like, the new smoking! If I had my druthers I'd hike once every week or so, but I have to entice my husband to the point of walking farther, so I have a hiking buddy. One of our grown daughters lives not too far from us, but she is a fast runner. (It's my fault, 'cause I got her STARTED with running).

Yes, exercise makes me feel great and I know that maintaining muscle mass as we age, helps keep life in those years!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #308
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Yes exercise has a ton of benefits. I do Pilates and yoga daily among other forms of exercise. It has helped tremendously!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #309
bjsdman
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bjsdman
Stats: 486/380.6/285
WOE: Atkins Induction (Phase 1)
Start Date: December 29th, 2016
Hello All - Noob to the forums

Hi, I'm BJ.. New to the forum. Figured I'd drop a line and say what's up!
bjsdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #310
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

BJ welcome....best wishes on your journey, you got this!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #311
Bella
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bella
Stats: 237/150
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 3, 2017
Hi everyone! I have not been on this forum before but I have lost weight on the Carb addicts diet before and I need support to get myself motivated again! I love the CAD way of eating and it seems that it is the best woe for me personally.

Everyone have a nice day!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #312
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Nice to 'meat' you Bella (pun intended)! I am sure that you will find lots of support and great info here and there is likely a sub-forum for your specific plan. But please join in on the main forum!!

We are butter together!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #313
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Bella, good luck on whatever plan you follow. You got this!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #314
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/153/145
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
Welcome Bella and BJ!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #315
clackley
Chatty Cathy

It is a good time to jump in on the main forum. Lots of friendly folk there!

We are butter together!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #316
barbiegirl778
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barbiegirl778

Hi I am a new member starting on a low carb lifestyle today . I have done some lowcarb in the past like 17 day diet and whole 30. I recently got engaged and am still have 33 pounds from my pregnancy my lo just turned 2. It's been a struggle to get it off. I work full time plus some and have a 14 year old and a 2 year old. I am turning 40 in July and would like to look thinner and younger than I do right now like turn back the clock!!

My first goal would be to lose 21 pounds -199
My 2nd goal is to get to is to get the 33 pounds off to make me 187.
My third goal is would be to get to 167 .
barbiegirl778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #317
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Barbiegirl778..;Congratulations on your engagement. You have great goals and can do anything you set your mind to. Hop on all the different forums and get involved. Best wishes!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #318
Greggers
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Greggers
Hello

Hey guys, Greg from Oklahoma here; 38yom. I actually got a user name and password back in March but I haven't posted anything until today. I'm having a very good amount of success on Keto. I started cold-turkey on Ash Wednesday (March 1st). I went 15>carbs per day coupled with a regimen of intermittent fasting (water-only fasted through lunch everyday but Sunday all the way through Lent). I'm back to eating lunches ever since Easter but I'm still keeping my carbs between 25-30 per day at the VERY most.

I really want to encourage any newbies who trip over this post to soldier through the first several weeks of a low-carb diet. I experienced it all that first week in march: fatigue, chemical taste on the back corners of the tongue, constant urination as my muscles used up all its glycogen, headaches, etc. Oh, and the carb cravings!! I would have killed a man for a bowl on Cheerios on day 4. But then I ate grilled chicken and broccoli smothered in homemade alfredo sauce on day 5. That evening, the miracle of Keto kicked in. My carb cravings vanished and my digestive issues all but totally went away. My energy skyrocketed; to the point where my performance in the gym surged too. I could go a lift a few pounds more and run a few more minutes at a faster pace on the treadmill. I also think the anti-inflammatory benefits of a ketogenic diet don't get enough mention. I had health problems I assumed were a fact of life for an almost-40 disappear in the first few weeks. I sleep way better. I could go on and on.

Anyway, I was 346lbs on March 1st. I'm an even six feet tall. I had always gotten by on athleticism and the fact that I always exercise. But as I got through my thirties, my horrifically carby/sugary diet was just too much for my workout regimen to overcome. My waist balooned to 47 inches. But!! I was down to 329 by April 1st. I have an above-average amount of muscle mass, so I am confident at least half of that weight loss was water retention my body no longer needed for all the glycogen. But the fat loss persisted too! I was down to 322 on May 1st, and I am now all the way down to 311 on June 13th. My ultimate goal is a 34-inch waist more than any particular weight. I'm at 41 inches right now and I'm pretty sure getting down into the 230's will get my waist size where I want it. Truth be told, I'd stick to this diet without the weight loss. You just feel way better doing it.

So stick to it, even on the most difficult days. My quick recipe tips are 1. Keep tons of eggs around and scramble them in heavy cream, butter, salt, and pepper (yum!). Also, get one or two rotisserie chickens from the supermarket each week, tear off all the meat, and keep it in a tupperware in your fridge. Very versatile for soups and salads. I load some romaine lettuce up with a bunch of caesar dressing, Parmesan cheese, and the torn-up chicken from the fridge. Makes me hungry just thinking about it! When you're doing it right for weeks at a time, your carb cravings become fat cravings, which is kinda nice. I've talked way too much. I'll be on the message boards from time to time. LOW CARB ROCKS! Glad to be here with you. Stick to it, guys.
Greggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #319
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Welcome, Greggers. "Getting by on athleticism and the fact that I always exercise" sounds familiar for me, too. Nice to have you along here!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #320
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Greggers welcome glad to hear you are doing so great. Yes the anti inflammatory benefits are amazing! Keep up the great work. You are doing awesome.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #321
BetterAngel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BetterAngel
Hi everyone. New to the forum but not to low-carb. I lost almost 30 pounds about 6 years ago, before my son was born and was almost down to my high-school weight without hardly trying (and I was 31 at the time so that is crazy!). Well, my son is 5 and basically life went to hell and so did my diet, confidence, etc. Last year was a horrible year for my family, with both my parents passing away and my son's father dying unexpectedly at only 44 from flu complications. It's been hard for my little one and I, and my weight is at an all-time high. I have Lyme Disease, which can have physically debillitating effects, as well as mental ones. I've suffered severe depression, I'm on more meds than I want to be for my age, and I'm just ready to change.

I am thinking of doing South Beach diet now instead of the more Atkins approach, since I really want to develop good, healthier eating habits for life, not just to lose weight and go off-course and end up fat and miserable again (lol). I am going to read the SBD book online, but if anyone has any good tips or advice it's appreciated.

This forum looks amazing, and I know that not only will I find support and friends here, but I know I can also help others since I have done LCHF before and can personally testify to how great it works. I think this time around for me, it isn't just about the weight, it's about being healthy, giving me better quality of life, keeping the Lyme in check, and teaching my little one good lifelong healthy eating habits. I'll be around for sure, I am planning on starting the diet in about a week after I finish reading the book (moving this next week so trying to read now lol!), but I'll start tapering down my carbs in the meantime and collecting recipes since I love to cook.
It's great to meet everyone and I know this is the perfect forum to be on!
BetterAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:37 AM   #322
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome BetterAngel. I am sorry about your family losses and health issues. Your health should always be your number one priority. Best wishes on whatever plan you decide to do.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM   #323
BetterAngel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BetterAngel
Thanks Puppy and same to all of you here! I'm still up in the air as to what to do, but I may just do a general low carb, healthier and cleaner eating lifestyle. I know that I really want to see how it works for inflammation, as the Lyme Disease flares can really cause arthritis and that type of pain in your joints, I seem to get it in the knees and hands/fingers. I may look around the forum to see if anyone has seen any improvement from cutting out junk carbs and processed food.
BetterAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #324
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/153/145
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
welcome barbie, greggers, and better angel!

excellent to have some wisdom and experience with all this!
enthusiasm and energy is everything too! thanks for joining!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #325
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

BetterAngel many people on here including myself have seen great improvement inflammation wise. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #326
tina1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 326/200/140
WOE: VSG/Keto
Start Date: VSG: 11/15
I may have posted on this thread before. I have been on and off the LCF boards for years! I recognize a lot of the names, but so many people are gone I used to "know" so I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Anyway, I did have sleeve surgery in 2015. I lost even "slow" after that. I'm doing keto now and starting to see some change very quickly.

Me, my sleeve, and I
<---my story

326 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240
230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140

"In the end, we will all be judged by the courage of our hearts" Lito - Sense8
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #327
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Tina1973 welcome back. You have lost a lot of weight from your start weight congratulations! Keep up the great work.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #328
KB-ATX
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KB-ATX
Trying Low Carb Again-Need Help

I did it years ago and it worked great. Seems harder this time. Having trouble sticking to it due to work schedule and disruptions (family doesn't do low carb).
I'm hoping to find some easy recipes and suggestions for restaurants (we eat out a lot).

Also, I'm 50 now and I think that is making it more difficult to lose weight.
KB-ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #329
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

KB-ATX...you have to stick it out for it to be successful..on and off does not work. Keep low carb food prepped and handy. Lots of low carb food at most restaurants. Best wishes.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #330
tina1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 326/200/140
WOE: VSG/Keto
Start Date: VSG: 11/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB-ATX View Post
I did it years ago and it worked great. Seems harder this time. Having trouble sticking to it due to work schedule and disruptions (family doesn't do low carb).
I'm hoping to find some easy recipes and suggestions for restaurants (we eat out a lot).

Also, I'm 50 now and I think that is making it more difficult to lose weight.

There are recipes scattered everywhere! There is a recipe board, but I'm not sure how active it is.

This is one of my favorite threads for recipes. 3 ingredient recipes! Nice and easy for most of them. Google or whatever search you use will bring up tons of resources too. And when it's just you, sometimes it's just as easy to stick to nice and simple, eggs, bacon, etc. I know that can get a little boring though. For me anyway.

I think it gets a little harder not only as we age but also as we keep doing this darn yo-yo thing we do. I don't know why us humans flip - flop so much. If something works, we should just stick to it!

Me, my sleeve, and I
<---my story

326 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240
230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140

"In the end, we will all be judged by the courage of our hearts" Lito - Sense8
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote