Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #241
gailbayne
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 248/226/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 05/18/2013 restart 1/14/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Hey,

I have been coming here a very long time, since 2002. I have been away for a bit and I think I am going to do the South Beach diet starting this Monday, February 6th.

I have lots of reasons to lose about 30 lbs starting with having diabetes, etc and then my daughter is getting married March, 2018 and I am walking her down the aisle!

Can I get a good list of foods for Phase 1 anywhere?

Thanks all!
Hi Cheryl - Congrats on your daughter's upcoming wedding. How great is that? There is a sticky with the updated food list for phase 1 in the beginning of South Beach category. It is one of the first threads there. You an also get the South Beach supercharged book, it has all the new info. Good luck!

I will not let Grief and Loss rule my life. It is time for me to take charge!! This is for ME!!
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #242
Cherylg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Thanks so much!! I printed it out -

Sounds a lot like Atkins - Monday is my start date!

Cheryl
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #243
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosiebluebird
Stats: 225/212.5/healthy
Start Date: 3-28-16/4-1-17
Checkin thread missing?

Anybody know why this thread isn't showing up under the South Beach Diet forum any more? If I wasn't subscribed I wouldn't have found it.
rosiebluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #244
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 144/135/125 5'6 1/2" 75yr
WOE: SBD -> JUDDD
Start Date: 5/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebluebird View Post
Anybody know why this thread isn't showing up under the South Beach Diet forum any more? If I wasn't subscribed I wouldn't have found it.
I found it ok. Was surprised that since Jan. 2017 most of the old Posters aren't Posting anymore. I stopped Posting back when because I hadn't gotten back on the SB food program, but am planning to by next week. Until then I'll probably be half and half since I've got meals to get rid of.

I need to get back in the groove for two main reasons. 1. Lose weights aka body fat. 2. I felt so good those two weeks I started the SB plan. Presently I simply don't have any energy. I feel like I'm existing, not living.

I'm so glad that I copied and pasted so many recipes that appealed to me into a word document. Makes my shopping easier.

Hope others are working the plan. and not getting discouraged.

2nd Long Term Goal 135 reached: 6/11/17
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #245
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone! I couldn't find the thread either, glad it's back! And I am back on the beach (again) determined to lose those 10 lbs that love to creep back.

Hope everyone is doing well! Let's get this thread moving again and support each other!

Where are you wiz? Hope all is well....
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #246
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

I'm seeing this thread fine now. I do enjoy the encouragement that comes from it.

Started Phase 1 again today. The pounds were creeping back on and I was totally dragging by the afternoon. Looking forward to having more energy, especially as the weather starts to improve.

Hoping there will be more activity on here now.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #247
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello all!! I haven't been on here in months and my weight shows it.

Mr Wiz and I just got back from an amazing month in Naples FL. We rented a house down there (let's call it a test drive for retirement!) I worked the first two weeks and took vacation the last two.

But I am back in NJ and started Phase 1 of SBD on Monday. Far too much fun in FL (and all winter, to be honest) and now it is time to buckle back down.

Do you all want to keep this thread open and going? Or do you want me to open a 2017 thread? I am good either way.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #248
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4 of Phase 1. I am hanging tough!!

It's been a while since I did Phase 1, so my body is taking some time to adjust. I am feeling a bit lethargic today (although it could be this terrible rainy weather...)

Lots of walking (16 miles) and exercise biking (40 miles) so far this week!

Gotta keep it going through the weekend.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #249
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh-in today

I knew it was bad (even though I didn't actually get on the scale until today) when I started on Monday and I was right...oh well, at least I am heading in the right direction now.

TGIF!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #250
gailbayne
Senior LCF Member

Hi Wiz - It's been awhile, but I'm back, too. I will be going in for arthroscopic surgery on my right knee Monday. Torn meniscus due to really bad arthritis. Hopefully this will improve the situation. I have done 2 months of physical therapy, which has helped strengthen the muscles, but the tear is still there, and still hurting. I am still able to walk, but the pain is pretty bad. Especially since they have taken me off the anti-inflammatory meds. OUCH!!

I will not let Grief and Loss rule my life. It is time for me to take charge!! This is for ME!!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #251
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Hi everybody,
So glad to see more traffic on here. Survived my first week back on phase one. Friday's eating wasn't so good, but I know it was because I let myself get too hungry. It reminded how important it is to plan ahead a little. Prepped some veggies today and going to fix tuna and some veggie quiche tomorrow.
Wow Wiz, That is a lot of activity. How do you do it? I can't seem to get motivated to move much.
Here's to another great week!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #252
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

rosiebluebird...I'm also glad to people are back Posting. Hope everyone continues.

wiz...glad to see you back. Hate it when people just disappear! One gets involved in how others are doing and doom - they're gone with no notice. Your arthritis must be in check or gone with all your exercising.

gailbayne...Good luck on your knee surgery! Going to be a long haul in recuperating I would think. Will there be a cast after surgery?

buckhuntress...and everybody I missed...How's it going?

I'm finally getting started tomorrow! Would have today, but didn't get the spinach defrosted to make my meatloaf. Calling it "my", but got it off this thread. One of my favorite meals and good for leftovers too.

Like wiz, I haven't weighed myself in a long time. Last time I did Phase I I only lost 3 or 3.5 lbs. due to retaining salt so not expecting as much as most of you will accomplish, but will still hang in there.

Hope everyones' weekend is going great!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #253
gailbayne
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sharss
I am told that arthroscopic knee surgery is very minimal and the recovery time is pretty quick. I am also told that they will try to scrape as much of the arthritis out as they can. Which will make it a little bit more involved with a bit more recovery time. No cast, just crutches for a few days, then a walker for a few more days. Hopefully I will see a lot of improvement. Hopefully. This has been going on since November, so I am ready to get the show on the road!!

Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #254
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all!

My Phase 1 weekend - always a tricky thing - went very well! Down 1 lb since Friday.

We went out to eat on Friday with family, but I had a salad with chicken and avocado over greens. It was delicious and totally OP.

Sharon, in terms of my arthritis, yes, it has been under control. I stopped running all together and I take Glucosamine Chondroitin. I haven't had a flare-up in months. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself!! ) Now that I am back on Phase 1, it also mean I am not eating gluten - which is supposed to be helpful as well.

Penny, I am trying to avoid knee surgery - hence the reason I stopped the running. It was a clear path to knee replacement. Best of luck on your surgery!

Rosie, I have always been an exerciser - even at my heaviest. But the key thing is I exercise outside 90% of the time. I crave fresh air, even when it is 20 degrees out (or 90, for that matter!) I find inside exercise to be very boring.

Hope everyone has a great week!!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #255
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Hi Sharss
I am told that arthroscopic knee surgery is very minimal and the recovery time is pretty quick. I am also told that they will try to scrape as much of the arthritis out as they can. Which will make it a little bit more involved with a bit more recovery time. No cast, just crutches for a few days, then a walker for a few more days. Hopefully I will see a lot of improvement. Hopefully. This has been going on since November, so I am ready to get the show on the road!!
That's amazing, gailb!. I fell on one of my knees (decades ago) resulting in water on the knee and took forever to get better. At least it seemed to. Gee, I didn't know arthritis could be scrapped out. Never heard of that! Good for you. Your recovery time sounds awesome. Hope you're not in pain.

wiz... Congratulations on your 1 lb since Friday! Jealous here. I finally got started today - Phase 1. BTW, I made the meat loaf you Posted. Forgot to weigh early today. I wonder if Glucosamine Chondroitin would be wise to take as a preventative? OTOH, I take so many vities as it is.

Steady as it goes to All!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #256
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!!

Eating a quick breakfast before heading off to a training class about 2 hours away...who said they can't teach an old dog new tricks?? I'm in my 29th year at my company.

I love making my weekday breakfast "quiche" from leftover veggies. This week's version was grilled asparagus, and then I threw in roasted red peppers, yellow and red cherry tomatoes. I do mine in a pie plate, with about a 1/4 cup of RF cheese on the bottom as a crust, then a bunch of veggies, then 6 beaten eggs. I bake at 375 for 35 minutes (I like a firm center, with a bit of brown on the edges.) I usually eat 1/4 of the quiche each morning - so 1 1/2 eggs per serving.

Sharon, I literally take zero other pills - no vitamins, nothing. So it was a big deal for me to start taking the Glucosamine, but it seems to be helping.

Gotta run!! Have a good day all...
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #257
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everybody!

wiz...Your "quiche" sounds delish! 29 years at the same company! Awesome
wiz, I think I like your idea about starting a 2017 Thread. It looks kind of silly looking at a 2016 Thread. Don't ya' think? We would need to do something about not losing recipes though. I could help in copying and pasting them along with others maybe helping.

I did weigh myself this morning and was shocked that I didn't weigh more. I weigh the same as when I started SBD back in October (for 2 weeks). I have a theory why I may have been losing weight, but I'll hold off sharing until I think it's a real possibility. I'll know - I think, LOL - on how I progress losing weight this time around after I've finished Phase 1.

Gail, hope you're ok.
Wish we'd hear from Rosie, Buckh, and Cheryl.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #258
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everyone,

Gailbayne, I hope your surgery went well.

Wiz, Congrats on the 1 lb loss since Friday. I can certainly understand needing the fresh air. I always feel better when I get outside for a bit.

Sharon, Is that Rosie me you are looking for? :-) I'm here and I'm going to try and post more. I get so much motivation from this thread and I want to pay it forward.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #259
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all!

It's been a good week, for both eating and exercise. Although disappointingly the scale did not show my efforts I went down a couple ounces, that's it.

I have walked 23 miles since Sunday and hope to get in another 5 tomorrow. I do a pretty brisk pace and try to mix it up between a fast trot and steadier walk to get some interval training done. I got on my outside bike a couple times too, but mainly to do an errand or two - not as exercise.

No meals out this week (which with my business travel schedule is a minor miracle!)

I made a nice easy dish last night: I browned boneless pork loin chops in a sauté pan, removed them, then sautéed halved grape tomatoes, artichoke quarters, capers, fresh rosemary and thyme (from my garden) with a bit of fresh lemon juice and cooking wine (you could use broth instead.) I added the chops back in once the tomatoes were softened and served. One dish meal with protein and veggies all together! Mr Wiz had a big white roll with his LOL.

TGIF and Happy Easter to those that celebrate!!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #260
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone!

Rosie...Yes it was Rosie You I was looking for. Here's hoping you will post more frequently. We'll all in this together! You're closing in on the end of Phase 1, aren't you? Are you doing ok?

wiz...Congratulations with sticking with plan and exercsing! With all the exercising you're doing, I'm surprised you are showing any weight loss. Bet you have lost inches along with any weight loss though! You do inspire me to work out more although I could never do what you do. Thanks for the recipe for pork loin chops. I copied and pasted the recipe although I'm not sure I'll use antichoke. Never had that in my whole life. LOL

Monday will be the end of my week 1 on Phase 1. When I weighed myself on Thursday I was down 1.8 lb. from the Tuesday weigh-in (water weight I'm sure) so hoping I'll make it 2 lbs by Monday. Have to admit though I'm only about 90% clean. Went grocery shopping agains last night so have more food on hand. However, now have to be careful not to over eat. One thing I don't give up is my half and half in coffee so probably why I don't lose more. But hey, at 75 I'm going to enjoy life.

All have a great weekend and a Blessed Easter!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #261
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Hi Sharon,
Yes, Saturday was the end of my Phase 1. The first week went really well and I lost 3.5 lbs. Last week my DD was off from school and we were extremely busy which made it easy to make poor choices. I was more active and didn't gain any so I can't complain. Thinking of staying with Phase 1 for this week too in the hopes of losing the sugar cravings.
Creamer or half and half in my coffee is the one thing I refuse to give up too. And I have not found anything South Beach friendly that is a good replacement.
Hope you make to your 2 lb goal today, but feeling better and having more energy are just as important. Good luck with moving to Phase 2.
Rosie
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #262
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hey Rosie,

3.5 on your first week Phase 1 = Awesome ! Good for you not gaining on second week. l might stay on Phase 1 longer than two weeks because I've decided to eat my Happy Breakfast on Sunday morning. An egg over easy and either two pieces of toast or 2 pancakes.

Although I miss my carbs, my morning breakfasts have always been the above so I miss them more than anything. However, one must pay for one's sins so in weighing in this morning, I've only lost 1.8 lbs. Funny thing is when I weighed Sat. I was down 2.8 lbs so eating my Happy Breakfast gained me a pound of retaining water so I'm expecting tomorrow's weight will be down. Tuesday is my weigh in day anyway since that's the first day I weighed starting this program.

Ok, no laughs since we have wiz walking 23 miles in six days, but I've joined Leslie Sansone 100 day Challenge of at least walking one mile everyday. If you belong to FB you can check it out on her page. She has a download of a calendar to track each day. Looks to be fun and I personally do better with a challenge. If you're interested, you can watch her YouTube video: Walking - Part 1: Start Quick & Easy This is the one I do, but if you're more fit than I she has more videos on YouTube. It took me 25 minutes to get through her 14 minute walk! Hey, it's a start! Of course, starting to exercise will gain some muscle which will affect weight. Today doing the 1 Mile plus I got yoga in.

I'm just starting my week 2 of Phase 1. Have chicken breast cooking with Salsa in the crock pot plus also cooked up some hamburger for taco hamburger with cheese in/or on lettuce with sliced tomatoes for lunches.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #263
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Everyone!

Well, apparently it wasn't my Sunday Happy Breakfast causing my one pound gain, but starting an exercise program.

Today I'm up another .8 oz gain.

That's life! Sticking with my exercising and good eating.

Have a great day!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #264
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Hi Sharon,
We all need a "happy breakfast" or something similar, life is to short not to enjoy a few things.

I like the idea of a walking challenge. I would be glad to join you for the 100 days by walking 15 minutes each day. (Is there a place on here for something like this? I'm still new to this forum stuff.)

Good eating so far today, pork chops, a veggie, and cauliflower rice planned for dinner. Walked for 15 minutes today too.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Rosie
Old 04-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #265
gailbayne
Senior LCF Member

Hi everybody. I have made it one week since the surgery and I'm doing very well. Finally. Surgery was a week Monday in the afternoon, so I came right back to my sister's and went to bed. Next day, Tuesday I was feeling pretty good. Hey, I thought, if this is all it is, I'm home free. I'm not going to take these pain pills. WRONG!!! Drugs hadn't worn off from the hospital. By the afternoon I was in agony. Long story short, I took the meds every 4 hours all night and all the next day. Finally began to see a little improvement and properly began to wean off the meds. Had a wonderful get-together with family for Easter Sunday, and even managed to work a full day yesterday. Today it's sore, but just fine.

I started south beach January 18 at 248 pounds. As of this morning I have lost 24 pounds. I knew the weight was a major contributor to the knee problems,and my weight was directly caused by my own eating habits. I can 100% control what I eat. It is the only thing about this situation that I have total control of. I can and have gone to physical therapy to strengthen the knee, and I can and have had surgery to correct the problem as much as possible. (Doctor said this was not a cure, he just cleaned up the inside of the knee as best he could.) But I CAN control what I put in my mouth. And I will.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #266
rosiebluebird
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everyone,
Had to go to the dentist for a filling today. Stopped for a milkshake on the way home. Definitely not SB but it has become my routine when I have a dentist appointment, which is NOT my favorite place. Good eating otherwise.

Sharon, I walked for 15 minutes this afternoon. Your post was a good motivator.

Gail, Glad to hear you are doing well since your surgery. Way to go on the 24 lbs!

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Rosie
Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #267
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everybody! (Where are you, wiz? Missing you!)

Gail...So glad you were able to finally Post. We were worried that things didn't work out for you. Sorry you had such a horrible pain recovery, but glad you're doing better now. How were you able to work with your knee? Did you use crutches? Congratulations on your 24lb lost! Here's hoping you'll Post more and keep us informed of not only your knee progress, but also your SBD progress! Since the doctor said the surgery was not a cure, how does this affect any effort to exercise? Hopefully you'll be able to walk without pain when all healed.

Rosie...I see you found the Exercise Thread here on LCFs. Happy to have you join me on the 100 Day Challenge. If you'd like to sign up for the Challenge, you can Google the name of the Challenge. Once signed up one can get an email for the link to download the Challenge Calendar - or just use your regular calendar. The main point of the Challenge is to get us to be consistent. Sometimes we just don't feel like exercising, but when documenting for the Challenge we end up doing our 1 Mile even if originally we didn't want to exercise. BTW, I never heard of cauliflower rice so had to Google to look it up. Your meal sounds delish. I haven't had pork chops in a long time, but do have a pork loin roast in my freezer becking me. Your milkshake sounds so good. Deserving for making it through the the dentist!

My Progress...lost 2 ozs. from yesterday. I figure at some point my bod will catch up with the exercising and will show losses again. One of the reasons my bod lost body muscle was due to pulled muscles both in January which finally healed, then pulled back muscles again in February! Was totally inactive due to pain. Now being soooo careful. Back is so sore, but not painful, I think due to a bulging disc. Did a Google and some info showed natural way to help was back stretches, hence my doing yoga.

Haven't done my 4th day 1 Mile Walk yet today, but did get my yoga in first thing this morning. Although I use Leslie's 1 Mile Walk YouTube video, I do a very modified Walk and so far can't use my arms, but expect that day will come. When I started it took me 25 minutes to get through the video, yesterday was down to 17 minutes. Legs were reason I had to pause or could have made the 14 minutes. Maybe.

Mostly on SB plan. For lunch did have Organic Torilla Chips with my refried beans and diet pepsi. I just make what I call a dip with refried beans and RF cheese. Breakfast was an omelet using a bit of the taco hamburger and cheese plus V8 juice. Ran out of canadian bacon to use for omelet, but liked this mornings better. For dinner my salsa chicken, green beans, and salad. I usually have left overs for several days so meals will be the same.

Have a great evening!

Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #268
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Thought I'd Post this separate in case it gets deleted., but I thought the information important.

100 Reasons to Walk

http://walkwithadoc.org/why-walk/

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #269
gailbayne
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sharss - The surgeon knows that I will be going in for stem cell treatments eventually. Hopefully that will be the cure. My niece's husband is a physician and has a wellness clinic where he administers stem cells under very strict guidelines. They have always told me that I would be a good candidate, but I really wanted to be conservative in my treatments initially. I chose to go to Jewett Orthopedic clinic and try the traditional treatments first. I did 2 months of physical therapy which strengthened the legs and knees, but didn't do anything for the arthritis and the meniscus tears. The orthopedic surgeon decided that we should try the arthroscopic surgery to clean out the knee and trim the torn edges of the meniscus. I had advanced arthritis under the kneecap, so he removed any of the sharp arthritic barbs and scraped what he could. He said this would probably not be a cure, but I would get some relief from it. My niece's husband wants to wait 6 months until we do the stem cells. He wants to give this surgery every opportunity to solve my problems, but everyone agrees that it probably won't. He said that stem cells would re-grow the damaged cartilage which would be a permanent fix. I need to start physical therapy as soon as possible to begin strengthening again. My next orthopedic appointment is Monday morning, so I will know more then.

I work for my niece as a mother's helper. She has 3 boys under the age of 12. I do laundry, clean the kitchen, make the beds, straighten up the house, cook dinner upon occasion, and I used to grocery shop for her before the knee. When my husband died, it was apparent rather quickly that I needed to go back to work. She didn't want strangers in her house with her children there, but really needed help as she had recently been diagnosed with MS. I think it was a God thing. She needed my help as much as I needed hers. I've worked for her for 2 1/2 years since Jake died, and it's been perfect. Until the knee pain started 4 months ago. Lets just say my boss gives me a lot of lee-way. Ha Ha. Right now I'm mostly sitting down folding laundry, but it's still a help to her. I find that the knee holds up better now after the surgery, even though it's still sore, it doesn't feel as weak. That's progress!!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #270
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick post to respond to Gail. Thanks for answering all my questions, Gail. I think it's neat your niece's husband works well with the other doctors instead of just taking over. I've read of cases with that back laser surgery where if there is a problem, the regular medical doctor won't help the patient since the patient went to the laser surgery first.

The fact that your knee is holding up better sure is a good sign and progress. Just be careful to not overdo it!

Continued good luck and take care!