Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #151
Cannon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cannon
Stats: 185
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: September 2016
Thanks y'all for the encouragement. I'm doing ok I guess - have had some headaches - late afternoon after work is rough - but I am down 2 pounds since I started on Sunday.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #152
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: G8trzz
Start Date: August 15, 2016
Congrats Cannon.... You can do this !! Two pounds is a great start!!
G8trzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #153
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Yes, my life is pretty nuts!! My husband and I are both from big families and we have lived in our town for 30+ years - which equals lots of events. Plus my business travel is pretty much constant.

This coming week?

Tonight we are walking into town to a comedy club for a Susan G. Komen fundraiser, tomorrow we are doing a "Bike, Backyard, BBQ" fundraiser for the school district. 10 yards around town are on display and matched up with a restaurant, that you tour on bikes.

Sunday I have the Eagles/Steelers game in Philly, Wednesday I fly to San Francisco for work, Friday I fly into Boston for a long weekend with my college girlfriends and driving back with the NJ contingent on Sunday.

When you write it all down like that, it does sound a bit busy!!

And you can imagine how challenging it is to stay on plan with all that going on...
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #154
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tina-Marie
Stats: -80 lbs so far
WOE: SB mostly
Start Date: March 9, 2016
Yeah!!! Cannon. You are off to a great start. Just do your best. I say this a lot but my moto is that you can do anything for a day. Just focus on getting through the day.

G8; I am very pleased. I love NSV. I agree, this WOE is doable for life.

Wiz: Who has time to eat with your schedule? LOL it definitely must be challenging to stay on plan.

My eating is doing good. I am feeling a bit under the weather. I think I may have gotten a stomach bug. I am glad it is the weekend.
Tina-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #155
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

I am being so lazy today. I have done nothing but start laundry, make breakfast and clean the litter box. Other then that, I have been watching TV and crocheting.

When I feel under the weather, I always want some home made chicken and noodles. I know it is a programmed craving because that is what we always do when we are sick... eat chicken noodle soup. Some things never change.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #156
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Today starts a new chapter for me...I got some guidance last week at a follow-up appointment for my arthritis diagnosis to go gluten free. There is a lot of medical evidence to show that a gluten free diet reduces inflammation which lessens pain.

I do not want to start a regimen of pill taking, so I am giving this a shot. Apparently there are other food "tweaks" I can make, but this is a big one and likely to show the most improvement.

The list of foods containing gluten is pretty daunting! (Soy sauce, who knew?) But as I do not have an allergy or Celiac's disease, I don't have to drive myself crazy if I accidently ingest a trace amount of gluten - but I plan on being pretty vigilant to see if this helps.

Wish me luck, I will need it
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #157
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Luck!!!

It is amazing what contains gluten. My friend is allergic to it. It is amazing though what you can make without it.

I am trudging along. I made it through my two week challenge with flying colors. I didn't get the exercising in everyday like I wanted. I did exercise everyday but in weird ways. Like when I was sitting at my desk, getting from point A to point B by going the long way around. Little things like that.

Things have been stressful at home so today, really had to fight some comfort food. I survived though. I made myself a lamb chop. I have never had lamb before and wanted to try it. It was quite good.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #158
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 144/135/125/122 5'6 1/2" 75yr
WOE: SBD -> JUDDD
Start Date: 5/16/17
Hello All!

I decided to give SBD a try. Looks workable to me plus so many have gotten good results with this program. I signed up with WW for a month to see what that was all about because it sounded so good with variety of foods, but I just don't like the point system. It's so time consuming to have to figure out the points for every little thing one eats. Once done it's ok, just not my cup of tea so to speak.

Phase 1 is only two weeks which makes it very doable. I've gone through the recipes and copied/pasted a few resulting in a huge grocery shopping list. Plan to get to the store tomorrow. Appreciate all the input of everyone posting their recipes.

I ordered the book which will be here Friday, but getting the food in earlier gives me a heads up plus I can be on plan while getting through the book. Oh, one negative for me - I hate most vegetables. Love beans though so glad they are on the "good' list.

Well, starting Friday I will be a fellow Beacher with you all!

2nd Long Term Goal 135 reached: 6/11/17
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #159
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sharon

Welcome to the beach! I have tried so many diets and gimmics, SB is the best for me. I like that I don't have to count calories or points. My favorite is that I don't have to be hungry. It is good healthy foods that are great tasting.

Another place to find SB friendly recipes is Pinterest. I have made several things from there.

This thread is a bit slow right now but hopefully with more people hanging out, it will pick up.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #160
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the Welcome, Tina Marie!

Looks like it'll be Saturday when I get started as I didn't make it to the grocery store today. My grocery list was ridiculously long so have started over planning the meals/snacks.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pinterest web site. I did open it, but looked like one had to sign up to continue seeing all the recipes.

I'm looking forward to getting started as I've been so undisciplined it's pathetic.

Presently looking for a chicken recipe using salsa and I'll be ready to attack the grocery store.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #161
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Well, tomorrow I weigh in.... Sunday was my birthday and at Red Robin you get a free burger of your choice so I splurged last Friday night and enjoyed every bite of that burger....lol!! I have been a bit lazy with exercise so I know if I can kick it up a notch, I will see better results!! I agree with Tina, I have been on WW and I think SB is by far the better choice. When I did WW, I would not make good choices. I always was hungry on WW because I would choose the wrong things. The best part for me about SB is that I truly am never hungry and like Tina said you have great choices of food to eat!
Tina....I love lazy days!! When I am off during the summer it was so nice to stay in my pjs if I wanted to!!
Share....welcome aboard!! I hope that you will love SB too and that you are successful! I decided that SB would be a permanent change for me because I am so happy with it. Even though my weight loss has been a little slower than I would have liked for the past two weeks, I am still losing.
Wiz.....I wish you the best of luck going gluten free. Nowadays, there are so many great things you can eat, so I wish you much success!!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #162
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

I think they get your email address and a password so you can save things you like and no one can mess with your page. Her is a recipe I found on it.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2013/01...ozzarella.html

This looked great!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #163
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

G8- you are doing so well. My weight loss has slowed down but that is normal. Good luck on your weigh in.

I will post more tomorrow. I am beat.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #164
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina-Marie View Post
I think they get your email address and a password so you can save things you like and no one can mess with your page. Her is a recipe I found on it.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2013/01...ozzarella.html

This looked great!
Tina, we're on the same page. That's the recipe I found and am going to make tomorrow. I did make it to the grocery store so have everything for all my proper meals to follow. Except...

However, practically all my recipes call for some kind of RF grated cheese. My store which has a huge selection of cheese did NOT have RF cheese so I bought regular cheese, but now thinking I'd sabotage my program before even getting started. Then I don't think I bought the right non-fat yogurt because it has 17g sugar and has corn sugar in it. ??? I think I have to find Fage Yogurt???

Then I bought ICBINB Margarine and now see he suggests Fleischmanns. Real butter is better than ICBINB because it doesn't have all the chemicals in it so not happy with sitting here with that margarine. I seem to have made a mess at my first attempt here. An expensive one I might add.

G8, thanks for the Welcome! Happy belated Birthday! I've only eaten once a Red Robin and it was for my Birthday too - way back when. I'll never forget how yummy good it was. It was a late lunch and I had a beer with it. I was so absolutely stuffed that I went home and fell asleep. Now when I see Red Robin, that's my memory - being overly stuffed.

Berta78 from WW Thread asked me to say Hi to you all and she sends her love!

Old 10-01-2016, 05:24 AM   #165
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Ok, here's my great SBD First Day.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, Canadian Bacon, V-8 Juice, 1/3 c 4 bean salad. Read where he said to eat vegies at every meal. ??? I think I read that. Also will take advantage of V-8 juice since my vegies I like is so limited.

Snack: Celery fill with Peanut Butter

Lunch: Taco Hamburger with Swiss Cheese (5g Fat) in a luttuce leaf, 4 bean salad, sliced tomato.

Snack: Celery fill with Peanut Butter

Dinner: Slow cooked Salsa Chicken with Lime and melted Mozzarella cheese, green beans, V-8 Juice.

When I get the right Yogurt, I'm dying to make that recipe someone posted adding gelatin to it and putting it in a pie plate. That will be my snack too. I bought strawberry gelatin.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #166
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Wiz, where ever you are,

I was looking up the nutrition value of celery - if any - and in scolling WAY down the page I saw a free ebook for "30 Gluten-Free Recipes". Thought you might be interested. I'm sure you've found other Gluten-Free Recipe books too.

Search: "10 Surprising Health Benefits of Celery" takes you to Dr. Josh Axe's page.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #167
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Your menu looks great. I anxious to hear how the chicken tasted.

I eat regular cheese. Sometimes cheddar, pepper jack or mozzarella. Sometimes I can't be picky because of finances. I used to eat salad with my breakfast. But now that I have to be to work so early and we can't eat at our desks, I usually have a big baggie off fresh veggies with lunch and I will eat the rest when I get home.

For yogurt I get Dannon OIKOS Greek yogurt Tripple Zero. It has 6 grms of sugar, 15 grms of protein, no fat.

Low fat cottage cheese is also something I keep on hand too.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #168
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

Today started off with pouring rain. Then the afternoon was beautiful so I went for a drive round part of the lake. I took a little walk. I tried to keep my feet up because of the water retention. It is mostly in my left ankle and foot. I am crocheting a xmas dress for my great niece so it gave me time to work on it. Tomorrow I am going fishing. Maybe fresh trout for dinner.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #169
G8trzz
Junior LCF Member

Well I had my weigh in on Friday and I have lost almost 15 pounds!!! I am so happy!!! This definitely is a "slowly but surely" way to lose weight, but I honestly love my South Beachish way of life!!
For me, I typically have a Yoplait Greek Yogurt with some walnuts for breakfast. Lunch is almost always a grilled chicken salad and a piece of fruit. Sometimes I will eat a protein bar in the afternoon if I need something. Dinner is usually lots of veggies with chicken. Friday I had blackened grouper and it was SO good!!
Starss...I use cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese and I probably have at least a small amount every day. I think the biggest reason this new way of eating is such a huge success for me is that I am never hungry!! That is huge for me! One of my favorite lifesaving treats that I have is Jello Brand sugar free, fat free cook and serve pudding. I mix it with 2 cups of skim milk and put it in the microwave for a total of 6 minutes. Every two minutes I take it out and stir it. I put a dollop of Cool Whip on it. It is SO good! It tastes just like it was made from scratch. You have to be so careful when you buy it because it is easy to overlook the cook and serve on the box. The instant is not very good at all and it isn't made in the microwave. I don't know,maybe if I was super strict I would have lost more, but I am really happy with how things are going and don't intend to stop!
Tina....it was a beautiful weekend here. In the evening, it has been getting down in the upper 50's and during the day it is in the 70's. I could live like this year round!! Did you catch some trout??
Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #170
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

I love the weather we have been having. That is why fall is my favorite time of year.

We went to the pool hall to have breakfast this morning and watch the football game. We ended up staying for the 2nd game as well. So I did not make it fishing. I had an egg scramble with some sausage and a piece of rye toast. Except for coffee, I drank just water. When everyone was eating nachos and drinking beer, I continued to sip my water. I really didn't want any as I was still full from breakfast.

Needless to say, no trout today. Maybe next weekend.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #171
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

great job on the loss! that is fantastic!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #172
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Tina-Marie,

You wondered how the chicken recipe turned out. Ok, I am a person who has always hated chicken breasts because they are so dry. BUT this recipes gives such tender, moist chicken breast that you will ever find in the whole world! They are so good it's unbelievable!

Ok, I modified the cooking part of the recipe plus I used a different salsa than the gal used so I didn't have to go through simmering the salsa down to thicken it.

I used LaVictoria Mild Salsa, Thick 'n Chucky, 24oz. Used all of it. One Tbsp. Lime.

I won't go into all the reasons why my cooking time was different, but it was necessary. I put the crock pot on High at 8:00AM for 30 minutes, then low until 1:30PM, then HIGH for the last 30 minutes. Did that because since I had cooked on low, I worried that it would be done.

Then instead of putting cheese on all the pieces and put in oven she showed, I skipped that part totally, put one chicken breast on my plate and sprinkled Colby Jack cheese on top. Of course it melted from heat of the chicken.

Today I reheatd 1 1/2 breasts in the oven with plenty of salsa sauce, and at the last few minutes added cheese to melt it.

The gal was right about cooking it in a slow cooker as the chicken did reflect the salsa flavor. The chicken was so tender I cut it with a fork.

It's a winner!!! If anyone cooks this recipe within the 90 minutes time period, please let us know.

BTW, when my chicken is gone, I'm thinking of using the salsa to make a soup, adding chicken broth. The Salsa ends up with fantasic flavor too.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #173
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

That does sound wonderful. I love cooking chicken in the crock pot. That is a good idea to make soup out of the left over salsa. Makes me think of taco soup.

Sometimes I fill it up with chicken breasts and let them cook in salted water just to have on hand for different things like salad, sandwiches, stir fry.

One thing I like to do with salsa is make stuffed peppers. I use ground turkey breast or lean hamburger (or sometimes both) I mix the salsa in the meat. Cut my green peppers in half and stuff the meat in. Then I pour the rest of the jar of salsa over the top and bake. It is super easy. The salsa add such good flavor. I like it much better then stewed tomatoes.

MMmmmm guess I know what I am making soon.

I have forgotten to weigh this last week. I am really hoping to hit the -55 lbs mark. It has been so stressful lately that instead of eating things I shouldn't, I am not eating enough of the things I should. I need to focus this week on veggies and water.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #174
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8trzz View Post
Well I had my weigh in on Friday and I have lost almost 15 pounds!!! I am so happy!!! This definitely is a "slowly but surely" way to lose weight, but I honestly love my South Beachish way of life!!
For me, I typically have a Yoplait Greek Yogurt with some walnuts for breakfast. Lunch is almost always a grilled chicken salad and a piece of fruit. Sometimes I will eat a protein bar in the afternoon if I need something. Dinner is usually lots of veggies with chicken. Friday I had blackened grouper and it was SO good!!
Starss...I use cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese and I probably have at least a small amount every day. I think the biggest reason this new way of eating is such a huge success for me is that I am never hungry!! That is huge for me! One of my favorite lifesaving treats that I have is Jello Brand sugar free, fat free cook and serve pudding. I mix it with 2 cups of skim milk and put it in the microwave for a total of 6 minutes. Every two minutes I take it out and stir it. I put a dollop of Cool Whip on it. It is SO good! It tastes just like it was made from scratch. You have to be so careful when you buy it because it is easy to overlook the cook and serve on the box. The instant is not very good at all and it isn't made in the microwave. I don't know,maybe if I was super strict I would have lost more, but I am really happy with how things are going and don't intend to stop!
Tina....it was a beautiful weekend here. In the evening, it has been getting down in the upper 50's and during the day it is in the 70's. I could live like this year round!! Did you catch some trout??
That's great on your loss, G8!

Thanks for the suggestions you gave! Sound so yummy! I added them to my grocery list. What is blackened groupie?

Do you grill your chicken or buy grilled chicken? I noticed my grocery store had grilled chicked in the deli.

I apprciate your and Tina-Marie's comments about using regular cheese. Especially since I'm here stuck with all this cheese I bought! LOL

So far it seems I get hungry pretty early after I eat so thankful for snacks. I always feel full after I eat, so don't now what's going on. I have lost 2.2 lbs since Saturday. First time weight has moved - except to go up - in months! Today I did do interval walking as suggested by the Doc in his book except mine is interval walking in place.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #175
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina-Marie View Post
That does sound wonderful. I love cooking chicken in the crock pot. That is a good idea to make soup out of the left over salsa. Makes me think of taco soup.

Sometimes I fill it up with chicken breasts and let them cook in salted water just to have on hand for different things like salad, sandwiches, stir fry.

One thing I like to do with salsa is make stuffed peppers. I use ground turkey breast or lean hamburger (or sometimes both) I mix the salsa in the meat. Cut my green peppers in half and stuff the meat in. Then I pour the rest of the jar of salsa over the top and bake. It is super easy. The salsa add such good flavor. I like it much better then stewed tomatoes.

MMmmmm guess I know what I am making soon.

I have forgotten to weigh this last week. I am really hoping to hit the -55 lbs mark. It has been so stressful lately that instead of eating things I shouldn't, I am not eating enough of the things I should. I need to focus this week on veggies and water.
Wow! Great idea with the stuffed peppers. I bought so many green peppers, it's ridiculous. haha

Sorry you have been so stressed lately. I read your journal and you do have a rough time of it. It's encouraging Tina-Marie, that you haven't eaten things you shouldn't! Good for you!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #176
Tina-Marie
Major LCF Poster!

It does seem like I have been having my fair share of issues. But this too will pass. I tend get things out in my journal.

Congrats on your loss Sharon!! That is such a great feeling when you see the numbers going down again.

It has gotten chilly quick here. Does shivering burn calories? I love fall but not crazy about what follows behind it. It does give me time to work on my crafts.

I am splurging tonight for dinner. I bought a steak and I am roasting veggies in the oven w/garlic, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Speaking of which, I should get started on it.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #177
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all!!

So my gluten-free adventure has been interesting. I have gotten through a tailgate, business trip to San Francisco and weekend in Boston with my college girlfriends sticking to it.

Back at home this week (and next, thank goodness!) so I can really focus on what foods I can eat, how I can tweak some of my recipes to be gluten-free, etc. My big purchase this week was a spiralizer so I can make ZOODLES (zucchini noodles!!) I had them last night with home-made marinara sauce, plus parm cheese crusted chicken tenders.

it's been 11 days since I started. I don't know if it is the "placebo effect" but I have definitely had less pain in my knee joints. And that is good news because I have started walking again.

I will be honest, I have not been weighing in . I need to get this arthritis stuff under control and then I will circle back around on weight loss. Right now, I am just figuring out what I can eat and how much exercise I can comfortably do!

Tina-Marie, yes I have been checking out gluten free recipes. Thanks for the tips. It's not that different from SBD, but rice and potatoes are allowed - grains not. It's kind of a trade-off.

Sharon, I do stuffed peppers too. Lots of good combinations you can put together. One of my favorites is ground turkey, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, fennel seed and RF mozz cheese.

G8, wow! Congrats on the weight loss. You are doing SO well.

I hope to check in more regularly over the next week or so while I am home!!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #178
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Hiya All!

Down another pound and although I have a thumbs up, it's been the same for two days. Bad news is I have to go to the doctor tomorrow due to an infected finger! Can you believe that! Jeez! I googled to see what I could do at home and it seems not all that uncommon. Who would have thought! Bad thing is need an antibiotic which I bet will affect my weight loss. I figured I had most likely about five pounds of water to lose so hope I at least do that.

Yesterday I started doing a kinda' interval walking as suggested by Dr. Agatston in his Supercharged book. Only difference is I do it power walking in place instead of walking as in distance. This serves two purposes for me. Dr. Agatston points out that interval walking accomplishes two things: 1. Develops a high metabolism therefore using more calories resulting in faster weight loss. 2. Strengthens heart and lungs. I'll write more about his fitness program later.

wiz... it was your stuffed pepper recipe why I bought extra peppers. Couldn't get red ones as Organic price twice that of green. I'll modify both your and Tina-Marie's recipes. I won't blacken the peppers - didn't really understand the reason for that, but will add the spinach. Did you see my Post to you about Gluten free recipe book?

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #179
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Sharon, bummer on the infection!!

FYI. I have digestive issues with green peppers, but am fine with red. Seems weird, but that's the way it goes. Beside ground turkey, I sometimes use low-fat chicken sausage as the protein in my peppers. And thanks for pointing the gluten-free receipe book again, I did miss that when reading through the posts from last week.

Tonight I am making my turkey meatloaf recipe which is actually where I got the idea for the stuffed peppers - basically the same ingredients. You can search for it in past threads, but here it is for anyone interested:

Tracy's Turkey Meatloaf Provencale (I am Tracy )

All quantities are approximate - I rarely measure

1.3 lbs ground turkey (usual size at supermarket)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz grated mozzarella
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
~8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
1 egg beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teas dried thyme
1 teas fennel seeds (optional)
salt and pepper

Mix all together, form a loaf and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #180
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

wiz,

How coincidental! I was planning on making a meatloadf(ground beef) after the doctor's appt. So thanks for posting your recipe. I'll be using a bit of salsa in place of the sun-dried tomatoes.

I was going to modify Dr. Agatston's meatloaf recipe in his book, but it made me nervous to use a cup of northern beans in the recipe. I cooked some up myself instead of buying a can of them and mine are so tasteless. Hated to ruin a pound of hamburger if the meatloaf didn't turn out.

Thanks again for posting recipe. I apparently had previously missed it.