Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: Atkins'92. JUDDD
Healthier By Halloween!

Hello Low Carb Friends,

Time for a new Challenge to get us through to Halloween. We are open to all kinds of plans and offer friendly chatting and encouragement.

Weight loss may be the common goal on our "challenges" , but interaction with members of our "Challenge group" provides vital support. Some of the members have been chatting for years.

This "challenge" is not a competition; it's a cyber support group for like minded souls. A safe haven where we can share the good, bad and the ugly.

All are welcome to join us as we strive to be HEALTHIER BY HALLOWEEN!
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

New month, new season, time for me to get back on track. Wasn't too successful over the summer.....need to figure out what plan to follow and then actually follow it!

It has been extremely hot the last few days and it will continue for the week so I am wilting. Too hot to walk, too hot to cook........ Gotta suck it up and enjoy!

Best whooshes to you all!

Onward and downward!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 223/206(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Welcome all to the Healthier by Halloween Challenge!

Crazy1 - Just moseyed on over from Less by Labor Day to join some familiar faces--and welcome new ones!--for our next challenge; tx for setting it up! We are having a streak of moderate weather--don't miss the heat-n-humidity a typical summer has--sorry you are going through a hot spell right now! As for plans, you have seen me trying all kinds of stuff, so take what works from whatever you try and you'll end up having your own custom one eventually--good luck!

Re-injured my healing knee AGAIN yesterday--ack! Thought I had sprained it mowing July 31 and when it wasn't getting better 3 weeks later, I made a dr. appt. and tripped the morning of the visit, re-injuring it. Then yesterday, went to drop off something at a neighbor's house and tripped and fell onto one of the flagstones, nice bloody scraped up elbow too on that one. So ANOTHER re-injury and an awful night in pain, no comfortable position even with pillows and a brace on. Sprains take 4-6 weeks to heal and each re-injury is re-setting the clock. Am so mad and frustrated, because I wanted to start some light walking during this period of motivation and successful eating I'm having, darn it!

Add to that we tried a new shirataki pasta brand called Zeroodle and it has terrific texture and taste, so stoopidly ate 2 portions of it and paid the price last night (um, they are ALL fiber!) on top of tossing-n-turning with knee pain--poor me, poor me! <pity party>

And poor DH! Today is his first weekday "off" since retiring Saturday and he is out mowing and doing a honey-do list instead. I feel so guilty, really wanted him to have some do-nothing days to get started. Oh well, life happens, right?

Stuff like this is a great reminder about "When you have your health, you have everything"--so true! Sure to keep my newfound motivation going strong for a bit!

With 8 weeks to go in this challenge, I'd love to make Onederland, but ultimately my real goal is to continue making healthier decisions.

Last edited by Going2; 09-05-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pendragginp
Oh Going, I feel your pain bc I also have knee problems, but you re-injuring it over and over - just awful! I wish I could help you! Sending good thoughts and healing vibes and prayers!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
hello girls---nice to see some familiar names--I too must do better--gained 2 pounds over the last challenge--yikes--I need to get my butt and head in the game--I am having a hard summer with way too much going on to concentrate right now about my plan--if I don't mellow out soon...

congrats to going2 and plum--nice to have a lower number to start---keep up the good work girls--you don't realize how much inspiration you give!!!

going2--so very sorry about the injuries--we seem to have a lot of knee issues here--I really get tired of taking the stairs one step and one step-takes forever to get down and up--pity the person behind me!!!

crazy--we had some cool weather and then a couple of really hot days--it is supposed to cool down tonite--can't wait-!!!!

well--I will try to be here more often if possible--my friend is still waiting to close on the house and still many unresolved things not fixed--so who knows what the future holds--her stress level is higher than mine though--poor thing can't catch a break!

about forgot--I am starting today at 180---OMG--hated to type that--but it is what it is and I hope to see lower-just any loss would be a goal!!!

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - Hiya, nice to see you here! Wow on your friend's housing saga! Sure she appreciates you hosting her all this time, what a good friend you are! Maybe that has contributed to your stall, having a different routine while she's staying with you.

Been doing good here, know that the scale isn't going to move as fast now that I'm older and menopausal vs. when I did Atkins in the early 2000s, darn it. Plus, I like a glass of wine with dinner, know that can slow things a bit.

My starting weight for this challenge is 213.0, goal is 199, plan is Atkins Induction. Dr. Atkins said, "if you're hungry, eat" (source: DANDR) so I make sure not to force myself to skip food if I get a snack urge, just eat a few bites, wait 20 mins. or so for it to register, then more if I need it, but usually it works or I get distracted with something.

MENU YESTERDAY (Cals/Carbs)
B - Atkins shake - 160/2
S - Tuna w mayo - 62/0
L - Tuna w mayo, a gummi bear - 79/1
D - Chicken breast w mayo and dijon mustard, 1 glass sherry (a treat at high cal/carb) - 633/16
TOTALS - 934/19

This was an unusually low cal day and without vegs., which I try to include. Deep ketosis is still inhibiting my usually robust appetite, plus knee pain, go figure.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello girls!!

I am home today doing laundry--and general cleaning--lots more dog hair to sweep and contain!

going2--yes the diet hasn't been good with the friend here--I have access to way too many newish things-and I didn't make it through yesterday without blowing it--but trying again today. you are an inspiration!!! keep up the great work!

Crazy--forgot to tell you that your intro to our new challenge was super!!!

back to it--cleaning out a light bulb shelf--packed with an assortment and couldn't find anything and duplicate too often!!! a little thing but organization is my goal!

have a great day girls--busy times ahead the next two-three weeks and then I hope to get some me time--told the DH he can take me camping and just leave me for awhile--I would love it

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

Oh, Going2, you are supposed to be getting better, not reinjuring yourself. Slow down! You need to heal, my friend. Like your plan...Atkins Induction....might have to give it a whirl myself.

Hang in there, Jeanne.

Not too much new with me. It's still hot and has been extremely smoky. The smoke has meant that it didn't get as hot as it was supposed to but still isn't good for me. My migraines are back and I haven't been sleeping well. The hurricane news upsets me and though I am grateful not to be affected by them, I am distressed about all the damage. Praying for those poor people .......and the storms keep coming.

Supposed to do book work today so I better get to it.

Onward and downward!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all, just checking in

Going2, I hope your knee is feeling better now.

Crazy1, I'm sorry you're dealing with the smoke and migraines too. Sending 'feeling better' vibes to all.

I'm down another lb this morning, so happy!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - Nothing like cleaning out and organizing to give yourself a boost, knowing things are in order. Hope you get some "me time" pronto, reward your efforts!

Crazy1 - I just can't imagine migraine pain, hear it is so awful. And not sleeping on top of it, you poor thing. Hope it passes soon.

Plum - Now that's stopping by with some good news--yay for you! Tx for asking about my knee. Have been good about staying off of it and it is feeling a little better, still limping but not gasping in pain--progress!

Am at the 2-week mark of doing a regimen, when I start to "relax" and next thing you know ... Trying to be alert and careful to keep on track, but it's hard with DH home now, wanting to go out for lunch and stuff--yikes! Might need to join Jeanne camping to get away from temptation!

Made a batch of Creamy Southwestern Taco Soup, a fav recipe by a LCF moderator. Had 2 huge servings, it was sooo good! It's pretty caloric--see menu stats, but am focused on my carb counts right now.

YESTERDAY'S MENU (cals/carbs)
B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, Atkins shake 184/2.5
S - Danon Carb Control yogurt, SF Metamucil (for what induction brings) 90/3
L - Greenleaf salad w chopped chicken and ham, tomato, Good Seasons dressing, SF gummi bears 455/8.3
D - LC taco soup, pinot grigio, SF Jell-O, SF gummi bears 815/23.2
S - Pistachios 160/5
TOTALS - 1,704 cals 39 carbs

Was a higher carb day but am not agonizing over it, just getting on with it.

Weather temperature has been dropping a little and we're sensing the impending fall season and am having the urge to get some "spice" home fragrance stuff.

Last edited by Going2; 09-07-2017 at 04:17 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betsielou
Stats: 170/134/130
WOE: low carb, no particular diet
Start Date: 09/02/2016
Hi ladies
Just dropped in to say that I am not going to join this challenge as I was successful w/the last one. I wanted to thank you all for cheering me on all these months through several challenges. I joined LCF weighing 170 and have been at goal, 130, for several months now. I will pop in on occasion to see how everyone is doing but that's about it.

Thanks again to Going2, Jeanne, and Crazy1 especially, and to others we've lost and picked up along the way. I wish you all much success in your weight loss efforts and life in general.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go, betsielou!

That's encouraging to hear.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #13
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Woohoo Betsielou! Tx for all your support throughout!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Still holding strong to Atkins inductions levels when I can. It's Friday night and I made it through without a typical binge or overindulging, with numbers right around my daily goal--woohoo! I'm not sure where the sudden resolve and discipline come from, but I'll take it! Maybe it's what I thought earlier: the combo of an injury, retiring, plus healing from grief is making me take control now.

THURSDAY
B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, Atkins shake
S - Some chx breast meat
L - Turkey bacon, American cheese, 3-ingredient LC PB cookies
D - Crystal Light orange drink; sashima of tuna/salmon/whitefish on lettuce; 3 chinese-food fried shrimp; cream sherry
TOTALS - 1,499 cals 12.4 carbs

TODAY'S MENU
B- 2 coffees w 1/2-1/2, HB egg, 1 pc. of GG Crispbread w 1 tsp. mayo
L - 5 Chinese food fried shrimp, Crystal Light orange drink
S - (Dinner prep) cocktail - pinot grigio wine
D - 3 Chinese food fried shrimp w chopped chx thigh meat, celery, cream sherry
S - 1 cup popcorn, SF bubblegum
TOTALS - 1,131 cals. 21.6 carbs.

OK, so where are the veggies! Purely coincidental, because I love plain salad and fresh nibbler vegs., believe it or not. The past few days have been short on prep time, like chopping up greens n stuff, but at least you see I've done some lettuce and celery, hahaha.

OMG, it has been hard to pass on yummy Singapore noodles and some beautiful Japanese rice DH got last night, tonight's popcorn, plus the temptation to just say "what the heck" and binge on some cheese or chips or something. Still not sure how I'm doing it, maybe the strong NSAID for my knee is curbing my appetite?

Have been using an appetizer-size fork to take smaller bites and still thoroughly chewing each one and stopping before I go to the next; that has been the home routine. Tomorrow will be a real-world test at a wedding reception, sure to be lots of carby stuff and social drinking--wish me luck!
Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #15
Going2
Senior LCF Member

C'mon board this free-for-all challenge--all are welcome!

Made it through the reception! Luckily (ha!), this bum knee kept me from walking around and grabbing served appetizers, or hitting the food stations. DH brought me a small plate of asst. cheese and a bit of prime rib; he enjoyed the mouth-watering mini sandwiches and breaded-fried yummies. Catch-up chatting with old friends kept me from overindulging. We passed on going out to dinner after as my knee was hurting from 2 hours of standing so we came straight home. Who knew this stubborn knee injury would contribute to my dieting success--hahaha!

YESTERDAY'S MENU (Cals/Carbs)
B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, HB egg on GG Crispbread w mayo - 146/2.9
L - Bowl of cut up broccoli sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and seasoning, ham lunch meat slice, SF lemonade, couple of SF gummi bears - 178/7.1
S* - Burger, ham lunch meat slice rolled up around 1 tablespoon cream cheese - 263/.5
D - About 3 oz. asst. cheeses, about 1 oz. or so thin-sliced prime rib beef, 2 glasses chardonnay wine - 728/8
TOTALS - 1,316 cals 18.5 carbs

*Was hungry around 3p, a pattern that's cropped up lately, and ate something so I wouldn't be ravenous at the reception. Am trying to listen to my body better.

Up a pound this morning, a reminder that the scale is not the end-all for measuring dieting success; it's just another tool.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #16
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello friends--just a quick note--it has been a moving weekend--not quite finished but hopefully by next weekend the move will be done

Tomorrow is doctor day for Mom so a long day-and then back to her house to work on Tuesday--Wednesday and Thursday I am taking the grandson to school and Friday belongs to me!!! at least I hope so..?

hope everyone is doing well--my week hasn't been great but I am still trying!!

back later

Jeanne

Old 09-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #17
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck everyone in the new week! With our eating plans and everything else going on in our lives.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - I'm sure you are happy to finally see light at the end of the "move" tunnel! Sounds like a busy week and nothing better than to end it with a day to yourself!

Plum - Thanks for the well wishes--we all can benefit from that kind of good stuff!

Another chill in the morning air here, signifying the season gradually changing. While grocery-shopping yesterday, I saw displays of fall mums and decor, even pumpkins and gourds put on display! September-October are lovely months here in Northern Virginia, but am feeling a bit wistful about the waning summer.

DH has a cold too, another sign of seasons changing around here, heh heh.

As for my eating, looks like I'm in a stall now, argh! Patience is needed for times like these--I track my menus and know they are on-goal for calories and carbs, and ketostix are dark, so those are reassuring. My knee injury finally feels like it has turned the corner toward healing, so fingers crossed I'll be a bit more active this weekend, which will help.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #19
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

Going2: Sorry about the knee messing up the reception, but hey, look at all the carbs you saved! Hope you heal as soon as possible. And hopefully, you don't catch a cold....being sick is no fun.

Yes, fall is in the air.....and I am so glad. I have my own internal furnace and the hot weather.....well, I was not a happy camper.

Prayers going out to all those affected by Harvey and Irma. Such devastation! I have been having nightmares about water and flooding and that's just from watching the news!

Still not making much headway with the Haven't been tracking lately and I find that I am successful when I do so that's what I have to start again.

Onward and downward!

Old 09-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #20
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Crazy1 - Tracking is definitely helping me these days, not sure why I dawdled so long to get back into it. Hope you get your groove going, sure helps to feel more in control of eating.

Have been slacking a bit the past 3 days at dinnertime/night, and had to give myself a pep talk to get back on track after 3 weeks of being pretty disciplined.

We have friends who weathered Hurricane Harvey OK but others we cannot reach who were affected by Irma. Hoping it's just power and infrastructure outages, and praying for those who are suffering incredible loss due to it right now. Counting my own blessings every day, with gratitude for all we have.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #21
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Geesh, am starting to feel like a thread-killer!

Finally had a pain-free night and went down the stairs this morning without any twinges in my knee--woohoo! After almost SIX WEEKS it's feeling so much better that last night I dreamt I was jogging--yup! Still am going to be careful this weekend, know a wrong move or being overconfident can wrench it back to square 1 again. So grateful for the healing and my overall good health--what a scare!

Scale inched lower this morning, only a few ounces, but it's a new low for the year! After a sluggish start and with 7 weeks to go in this challenge, I need to lose 2 lbs. a week to make my Onederland goal--it can be done! Am finding that if I stick with a meal plan instead of "looking for something to eat," it works best. Luckily, our socializing is in a slower fall mode so there are more opportunities to be disciplined.

Upon reviewing my meal-tracking log, I've ID'd a couple areas where I can improve, mostly around amounts; have been great about staying LC tho'--no carb-binges! Am finding that sticking to a common core of foods for mealtimes is working best. Next stop is to start adding some exercise now that my knee looks like it won't be an issue--phew!

Hope anyone struggling can find something in your day that you can claim as a success, even if it's inching toward your goals--it's all good!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

You are are doing great, Going2. So glad your knee is feeling better....but keep the jogging to your dreams at least for now. And keeping to core foods is a good plan....one I need to implement and yes, amounts. Low carb is just one part but amounts of food and total calories also play a part.....at least for me.

I really have been struggling so I may just go back to OMAD and LC. But not today Dinner at church tonight and fundraising lunch on Sunday ( my idea,) so I will be doing a Restart on Monday. Will do a grocery shop and pick up bacon and eggs and get back on track.

Shout out to Jeanne and Plum and anyone wanting to join in as we get Healthier by Halloween!

Onward and downward!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies!

Going2, so glad your knee is better, may it continue! And huge congrats on the new low for the year!

Crazy1, I've been doing basically OMAD and LC, and it's been good for me. I plan to combine it occasionally though with a sort of UDDD thing when we have family dinners or - like tonight - I treat myself. (DH ordered pizza. I allowed.)

Good weekend to all of us!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #24
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello girls

still working on the move--I think that after this weekend I will no longer have my friend here--I am sure she will be glad to have her own place to call home...soooooo that means I need to get serious about my health too...it has been way too hard to behave and I haven't!!!

I too am planning on a Monday restart--again!

Plum-good to see you

Going2--you are a thread-maintainer!!! WTG on the new low number---you are doing fabulous and are an inspiration to me!! so glad the knee is better...I am like crazy--don't try anything that will wrench it again.

Crazy--I will be with you Monday on the restart--not sure what I am going to do but it will be low carb... I hate hot weather too--I don't deal well with it...

I will try to be here more since I will hopefully have a little more time and I definitely need the reinforcement!! if I can read instead of eat that would be good...

tomorrow is another busy day--and it is a hot one they say--need to get out early and stay

have a great weekend everyone

Jeanne

Old 09-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #25
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Great to see folks checking in so I can dodge the thread-killer title--phew!

Crazy1 and Plum - That is serious discipline doing OMAD! I tried doing some 16:8 fasts and they were tough enough. Plus the challenge of social events almost always being around sharing a meal or food, ugh.

Jeanne - That long move process sure has eaten a bunch of your time and resources, glad you see light at the end of the tunnel! Will feel so good to have your own home and routine back.

Thanks all for your well wishes about my knee--it obviously worked! That was so scary for a few weeks, kept thinking about having a bum knee forever and how disabling it felt, was imagining going into our retirement like that {{shudder}}. Have much more compassion now for folks I encounter with canes and limps knowing how the pain just wears on you. Still taking it easy this weekend, know that am still healing even though it's feeling about 90% pain-free.

We newly-retired decided to have Saturday Nite Grilling last night instead! (May still do something w friends tonight.) I found ribeye steaks on special and was divvying them up to freeze and DH said maybe we could grill them for ourselves right then, saying, "no rules now, right?" Right he was--hahaha! They were soooo good--I ate an entire one! Now this morning feels like a Sunday, we are so used to grilling on the weekends.

The good news, as a result, is I was too full to be tempted to do carby snacks while we binge-watched the Westworld TV show. We have a couple events this weekend, including a family brunch tomorrow; always a struggle for good eating choices.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

YESTERDAY'S MENU
B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, Atkins shake
L - Some burger in a chopped cucumber and tomato salad with a bit of carrot, no dressing; glass of wine
S - 2 provolone cheese slices
D - Whole thin ribeye steak (estimated 587 cals!), couple slices parmesan-baked zucchini, wine, SF Jell-O
S - Provolone cheese slices, 3 SF gummi bears
TOTALS 31.8 Carbs 2,047 Cals
Old 09-18-2017, 03:01 AM   #26
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday!

And yes it is, with another pound down ... getting there slowly but surely. Hope to pick up the pace a bit this week, still need to lose at 2 lbs/week to make my Onederland goal.

A busy week ahead with my volunteer gig as we prepare for a huge neighborhood event Saturday--lots of busy work to get done by then! Love the distraction and sense of community contribution, good for self esteem.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello girls--I am restarting today--will be doing low carb so that never changes!

we are having hot hot hot humid days right now--sure doesn't help when I love those cool days

going2--you are doing great--sure you will see onederland for sure--congrats

I am trying to get back into a routine now that I am once more alone during the day--Dolly rolled in something wicked and had to have a bath so that routine never changes...

I am taking the grandson to school every day this week so I have to start early but it helps to get the day started right

Jeanne

Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #28
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Friends,

WTG Going2! It's one pound at a time, one day at a time. And keeping busy is a great distraction. As for self-esteem, keeping it high chases the blues away!

So it's Restart Monday or Recovery Monday, or whatever you want to call it! And I am on the bandwagon. We are more than half way through the month so it's time to lose a few pounds. DH is on board to lose a few too, so that will make it a bit easier. Mind you, he will probably lose faster than I will but that is the way of the world.

My plan is LC, lower calories, and go with a 5:2, or maybe 4:3, OMAD style. Not quite ready for JUDDD so the plan is to ease back into it. I had the most success with OMAD so that really will be my focus. But I know that LC and calories also play a huge part for me so.......

Onward and downward!

Best Whooshes to you all!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #29
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Morning all! Loved having a busy day yesterday, "worked" (volunteered) almost all day getting materials ready for our neighborhood event. Picked up a t-shirt and tote bag order, folded all, and made a little "store" from some a couple small utility racks. Also created signs and forms to go with all--fun stuff! And almost too busy to eat--how about that!

Jeanne - Nice to hear you'll have your routine back this week, and a sweet grand to tote about--a joy! Hope you'll have nice groove back in no time! I cannot stand humidity, just makes it hard to breathe and everything feels sticky. Aren't pups cute when they get into trouble? HAHAHA, except when they becomes a nasty mess to clean up!

Crazy1 - Tx for the shout out! Wasn't sure what the 4:3 and 5:2 meant for fasting, but looked it up, that sure is disciplined, and being OMAD style is def. up there. Man, I'd probably be eating heads of lettuce and lots of celery to keep full on my 500 cals. days--hahaha! I guess your appetite goes down tho', like being in ketosis. Sounds like you know what works best for you and a good move to ease back into the routine.

Was quite a bit active running around yesterday and this pesky knee started letting me I was overdoing it, oopsie. But I listened and stopped, rested, and no problems walking this morning--phew! It's a good lesson about listening to our bodies, the messages we tend to ignore, or override. With good eating the past few weeks, I've been re-learning listening to my hunger and satiation signals too. I can't believe the volume of food I was eating, the mindless binging, and how easy it was to do--ugh. And can easily go back to those ways again (sigh). As I say, it's such a head game!

I track my eating these days with the free version of the LoseIt! app and it is limited to 2 lbs max. weekly loss so that folks don't do anything unhealthy (legal stuff, coff-coff); my daily calorie limit is 1,328 to lose 2 lbs/week. The unpaid version doesn't track carbs tho', so I have to look up each component if I want to see them, why I decided not to post menus daily, besides boring you folks. Tracking can be a hassle, but it works. Notice when I'm close to my daily limit, it does keep me in a check a bit.

Some blathering ahead:

Today I celebrate 20 years of happy marriage with DH, so blessed! A few years prior to that he was "just a nice guy" friend, never thought I'd see him in a romantic light, he was soooo not my type! About 4 years into a friendship, and one that deepened as it went, that summer I realized my heart had warmed to him, my feelings had changed--and he needed to know (luckily, still single)! I ran over to his house to tell him and caught his dad and brother doing some work on the house--ack!--but we went upstairs to his bedroom and I poured my heart out. He basically said what took you so long! Said he could see I was wavering with my feelings and waited for me to come around. The rest is history. We now refer to that turning point as "the storm windows incident." Still not sure what he sees in me.

Share your own stories of love, happy events, or good fortune--hope you have a few!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #30
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Going2. 20 years is a milestone. Wishing you and your DH a Happy Anniversary! Will you be going out to celebrate?

I agree that we need to listen to our bodies as to hunger and satiation. I think that part of the problem with so much obesity these days is that we are always eating.

I know that I raised my children with breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I was so worried about them being hungry that I never ever gave them a chance to experience hunger. This is so different than how I was raised....you know, 3 squares a day and maybe a bowl of cereal at bedtime. No other snacks .....because it would spoil my appetite. But that was the norm and it seemed to work because there was less obesity.

As a child, my family hardly ever went out for dinner and fast food places were almost non existent. Oh, we sometimes went out for a chocolate dipped cone on a Sunday afternoon, but it wasn't a weekly occurrence.

I walked to school, and played outside and I hardly ever watched TV. My kids, on the other hand, well, I drove them to school and they played Nintendo after school. And snacked.....usually home made baked goodies, made with love by moi! Because I couldn't let my darlings get hungry!

They ate, so I ate and guess what.....I gained weight! And though my kiddies are now adults, I am still trying to lose weight!

So now it time to tell my body that's OK to be hungry. I will not starve . Pushing thru with OMAD, will give my body a rest from fueling with food, and that in turn should start my body burning my excess fluff for fuel. At least that is the plan. So......

Onward and downward!