Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #841
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
OK, you two, get busy posting other recipes and comments! Looking forward to pictures!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #842
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcolin View Post
Is anyone still following this thread?

Ok guys, try this and I promise you will not be disappointed. Well you might be but I doubt it. This variation tastes like noodles made from actual flour, they have "bite" to them...but more similar to Asian noodles than semolina pasta. Obv I can't put these through my pasta machine since I EFFING BROKE IT the first day, but when I get a new one I will post a pic. These are good even with a little garlic powder and butter spray.

Anyway here is the recipe:

6 T glucomannan powder
6 T oat fiber
1 T baking powder
2 t coconut flour
1 1/4 cups liquid egg white (from carton)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the egg white, mix well and allow to stand for about 5-10 minutes. Put through pasta machine and cook for 1-3 minutes.

OPTIONAL: Drain noodles and rinse really well with cold water. Pat dry with towel or paper towel. Reheat in microwave before serving.
what is the serving size of this batch??
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #843
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davidcolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
what is the serving size of this batch??
That'sa good question....supposedly 8? but I think more like 4. However I haven't had a chance to see it extruded as normal pasta yet in which case it might take up more space.

Also, I learned that this does not sit well in sauce overnight, it leeches the glucomanann slime into the sauce and blech. Blech blech belch.

Also dont use too high a proportion of noodles to sauce.

I still think I can improve this. Maybe with psyllium or gluten. Not sure yet.
davidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #844
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
Quote:
That'sa good question....supposedly 8? but I think more like 4. However I haven't had a chance to see it extruded as normal pasta yet in which case it might take up more space.

Also, I learned that this does not sit well in sauce overnight, it leeches the glucomanann slime into the sauce and blech. Blech blech belch.

Also dont use too high a proportion of noodles to sauce.

I still think I can improve this. Maybe with psyllium or gluten. Not sure yet.
I assume you're saying this particular recipe variation doesn't sit well in sauce?
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #845
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

Actually ditch this whole recipe. For the life of me I cannot reproduce it. I don't know what happened...I am measuring everything out exactly like the first and second time and it is coming out TOTAL MUSH. I don't know if it has something to do with it going through the pasta machine now or what? but yeah, gross. Don't try it. Waste of time and ingredients.
On a brighter note, the hand cranked pasta machine I got is so cool. It's called Dianoo from amazon, its a cylindrical thing and you just twist the crank with one hand and it comes out easy as pie. It;s from China and it actually comes under several different brands. I can't post a pic yet cuz of forum rules but anyway, ya. I'm kinda done with this type of pasta. Way too frustrating.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #846
Charski
Gadget Gal

Sorry you can't get that to work well with the pasta machine, David. Sometimes converting regular recipes to LC is an exercise in frustration and wasted ingredients. Happens to all of us!

Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #847
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

Actually I just made the original recipe last night but shaped it as gnocchi and it was really good. Not slimy at all. The only thing I changed was I used way less baking powder, and they still puffed up fine but maintained their texture a little better.

I think that's what I'll do from now on, it just hasn't worked as pasta for me. Even though my Norpro is broken I'm pretty sure I can manually push the dough through the sausage attachment and then cut it into gnocchi. If I ever get enough posts I'll post a picture lol
Old 01-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #848
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

Oh and egg white instead of whole egg since I am actually not low carb, just concerned about calories.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #849
Charski
Gadget Gal

Just start commenting on other's posts and you'll be up to 25 before you know it!

Old 01-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #850
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl69
Stats: 318+/315.0/175 (to start) Size 28+/26/16?
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Came back to LCF Jan 14, 2017
That looks amazing and sounds great. I just might need a new KA attachment lol
- 299lbs
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...=881144&page=7
canadiangirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #851
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Eat Fat Get Thin
Start Date: June 2016
That Dianoo press looks efficient. My KA takes a long time, even running pretty fast.
SunnyKsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #852
Gata
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gata
Thanks to all of you and your experiments!

I think I've read this whole thread, but might have missed something. I bought the Norpro, made spaghetti, and it took all of five minutes! Tastes pretty darn good, too, though I think I'll leave out the baking powder next time.

My question is whether anyone's made ravioli or wontons/potstickers with this dough?
Gata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #853
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Charski, I'm trying to upload 4 pictures with a recipe, and it just shows thumbnails.

Forgive me for being too lazy to research this: do you happen to know the procedure to show big pictures? Is it because my pictures are more than 100 KB?

thank you!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #854
Charski
Gadget Gal

Sunny, you have to have 25 posts (which I see now that you are at 27, but you may not have been past 25 when you were trying to post the pics) and enough time as a member to post pics - I'm pretty sure the timeframe has elapsed too - give it another try and if it still doesn't work I'll help you!

ETA - actually I posted the instructions on the previous page for David -

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showpo...&postcount=834

Last edited by Charski; 01-29-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #855
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Yes, now that I passed 25 posts and have been a member for several months, the "Manage Attachments" box is now available to me, (and wasn't prior to 25 posts). So that is progress!

I just sent an email to LCF's technical help desk. It might be because I work on a Macintosh computer.

So Charski, thank you for your help, but I'm just going to "chill" and go...bake bread!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #856
Charski
Gadget Gal

Ah, well, I'm no help on Macs, but I would THINK the same rules apply with the Attachments box? Hope you get it figured out anyway!

You can always use a third-party site like PictureTrail and host your pics there, then use their links to put pics on here.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #857
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gata View Post
Thanks to all of you and your experiments!

I think I've read this whole thread, but might have missed something. I bought the Norpro, made spaghetti, and it took all of five minutes! Tastes pretty darn good, too, though I think I'll leave out the baking powder next time.

My question is whether anyone's made ravioli or wontons/potstickers with this dough?
Searching the thread I see at least two attempts....
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #858
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

I know you guys have no reason to believe me but this is a real improvement. Some of you may not want to try it because it adds a small amount of carbs, however I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and regular gnocchi. PLUS the dough is way more manageable and easy to work with this way. I added 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour per serving. 35 calories/serving, not sure of carbs.

4 servings

1/4 cup egg whites
6 T glucomannan powder
6 T oat fiber
1/4 cup all purpose flour (i bet bread flour would work even better)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups water

Mix the dry ingredients well. Mix the egg whites and water and stir into dry ingredients vigorously with a fork.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #859
Charski
Gadget Gal

There are 23.75 carbs per 1/4 cup of regular flour - so divide that by 4 and you're at just under 6 carbs per serving in the flour.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #860
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Charski....I think that could prolly fit into a LC budget for the day?

Just to give you an idea, my wife went from saying "ya its good" to humor me with the other version to "oooh can I have some more??" with this version. I'm really happy with it.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 AM   #861
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
How long do you cook them, David?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #862
davidcolin
Junior LCF Member

I have only made gnocchi but I cook them about 2-3 minutes. It will depend on size I guess. I put them through the sausage attachment of the Norpro and cut them to size with a knife. Manually of course because my Norpro is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
How long do you cook them, David?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #863
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Thank you Charski....I think that could prolly fit into a LC budget for the day?

Just to give you an idea, my wife went from saying "ya its good" to humor me with the other version to "oooh can I have some more??" with this version. I'm really happy with it.
I could definitely fit it into mine!

Some folks avoid white flour for other reasons, and generally I do too, but I could maybe make a very occasional exception for something like this.

It might also be interesting to try some of the lower-carb flours like quinoa flour in this and see what happens!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #864
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
I know you guys have no reason to believe me but this is a real improvement. Some of you may not want to try it because it adds a small amount of carbs, however I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and regular gnocchi. PLUS the dough is way more manageable and easy to work with this way. I added 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour per serving. 35 calories/serving, not sure of carbs.

4 servings

1/4 cup egg whites
6 T glucomannan powder
6 T oat fiber
1/4 cup all purpose flour (i bet bread flour would work even better)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups water

Mix the dry ingredients well. Mix the egg whites and water and stir into dry ingredients vigorously with a fork.
Hmmm, very interesting. I too am more concerned with calories than carbs, but I do eat low carb in general so this might be something I can work with. I have tons of alternatives to regular all purpose flour that I could use that will drive down the carbs and calories even further. I'll give it a shot, thanks!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #865
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Charski, Tech Support was very helpful...emailed me 3 times yesterday! I was able to post my bread recipe and the photos. Whew!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #866
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have read all 29 pages of this string, but I haven't yet been able to ascertain if anybody has been able to use a hand cranked pasta roller-type machine instead of an extruder like the Norpro meat grinder. I ordered an Atlas hand crank machine, but I don't want to mess it up trying and failing with the dough and then have to try to send it back. I think I read where folks were using the Kitchen Aide attachment? Is that a flat pasta roller iike the hand cranked ones or an extruder?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #867
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I read most of the posts too and all I saw anyone using successfully was the extruder KA attachment. I still wonder if there is a way to use the flat. The extruder is slow and a pain to clean but for pasta it might be worth it.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #868
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Ok I just did an experiment. I put the ingredients in my food processor and whisked them till it made a dough. The first trial at a flat roller didn't work at all so I added 1 T VWG and an additional 1/4 cup water. Whirled it in my food processor till it made a sort of dough. The sheet that rolled out was delicate but handling carefully it went through the machine until I got to the number 6 on my KA roller, then began to tear too much. So just left it that thick. Then I tried to cut it with the cutting attachment and it went through ok but I had to manually pull apart each noodle from the rest because they didn't really cut very well. Many broke as I did this. Then cooked them in boiling water for 3 minutes. Too long since they were just a little mushy. So they do work in the flat attachment but they take a great deal of care and maybe the addition of the vital wheat gluten. All in all, I guess I'll save up for real noodles. My real homemade noodle recipe uses just over 1/2 cup flour per egg so a significant saving if you care to mess with it. For me I think I'll just have my real noodles on my birthday and forego pasta otherwise.
By the way I used bobs red mill coconut flour and VWG and lifesource oat fiber in the recipe and didn't use but 1 t. baking powder. Brands are different so FYI. Also used 3 eggs instead of 1.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #869
RoseMarie123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseMarie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
OK, you two, get busy posting other recipes and comments! Looking forward to pictures!
LOL I just love your profile pic!

I cannot wait to try making some of these noodles!!! I wanted to try it today but had bone broth I had to tend to and also cooked a pizza which took awhile. So when I make them 1st time and try them I HOPE I can make a batch and freeze so when I don't feel well and we want a noodle dish I will have them handy. I sure hope they freeze well. I ordered some Now brand of the gluco stuff and have oat fiber on hand so I guess I am good to go. I hope I have the right brands. You guys are just amazing! I don't have a norco nor even a kitchen aid or attachment but I do have a cookie press and wondering if that might work. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at the thrift stores for something that will work. I saw a lady on you tube make some and she used some sort of pasta pressing thing that she said she got off amazon for 10 bucks. Would really have to save my money to get the kitchen aid and it's attachment. A friend has an extra mixer and I have offered to buy it from her but she's not interested in selling it. She makes cakes so I guess she thinks she'll have that one if this one dies on her.
RoseMarie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #870
dustoweb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dustoweb
Is the recipe in the original post still the best?

I'm about halfway through the 29 pages and there are several variations. I plan on reading the whole thread, but also wanted to try this out soon so not sure I'll have time to read all the way through.

I just wanted to get a consensus on what the best version of this is? Sorry to be that person but I'm reading as fast as I can :-)
dustoweb is offline   Reply With Quote