Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #781
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Me, too. Thanks for the bump, Jen!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #782
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
I think this is designed to be gluten free, not low carb
I agree, definitely NOT LC, but interesting anyway.

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #783
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I recently picked up a pasta attachment for my old Cuisinart food processor. This recipe worked a treat in that machine. It has more discs than my mixer attachment.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #784
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
Quote:
I've had good luck putting the spaghetti, after it is cooked, into the food processor with a little water and running it until it is rice sized. Just use quick pulses. I also have done this with the House Foods shiritake/tofu spahgetti
Hi Sharon,
I have some House Foods shiratake/tofu spaghetti in the refrigerator right now. I want to try making rice. I've made the rice with cauliflower and that worked well. I used the same process, a little water and the cauliflower in my smallest Ninja processor. A good way to make cole slaw too. I plan on draining the rice very well, even patting it drier with some paper towels, then dry frying it to give it a little more texture.
As I said, I liked the cauliflower rice but this is so interesting that I want to try it. Could you suggest anything else I should consider before I start? Being frugal I make myself eat all "experiments", good or pitiful, unless they are beyond swallowing.
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #785
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Rosemary...Rinse well and drain before you put it in the Ninja.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #786
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Rosemary...Rinse well and drain before you put it in the Ninja.
Once I rinse, drain and put it in the Ninja I then add the water to the Ninja for chopping? After that dry fry.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #787
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yes, you have to rinse all the solution that it comes in. I put mine in a colander, then rinse a lot, then drain. The other sounds fine. I've never chopped it, so be careful. Let us know.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #788
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~ View Post
Hi Sharon,
I have some House Foods shiratake/tofu spaghetti in the refrigerator right now. I want to try making rice. I've made the rice with cauliflower and that worked well. I used the same process, a little water and the cauliflower in my smallest Ninja processor. A good way to make cole slaw too. I plan on draining the rice very well, even patting it drier with some paper towels, then dry frying it to give it a little more texture.
As I said, I liked the cauliflower rice but this is so interesting that I want to try it. Could you suggest anything else I should consider before I start? Being frugal I make myself eat all "experiments", good or pitiful, unless they are beyond swallowing.
I tried making rice with shirataki spaghetti last night. I drained and rinsed the spaghetti and put it in my smallest Ninja container and added water to cover. First mistake, I overprocessed (chopped) the spaghetti and it came out about half the size or less of a grain of rice but the size was very consistent. I heated a non-stick, dry frying pan set on medium (using an electric stove) and added the rice. I stirred it often and waited until it turned a light tan. I was going to use it right away so I added some bacon grease for flavor. The little grains started making popping noises and flying out of the pan. What was left browned a little darker and got a bit crunchy. It tasted good but I think I over fried them or the pan was too hot. Something else, the package of spaghetti was 8 ounces, I ended up with about 1/4 cup of rice. I really think this could work but I have to stop chopping sooner and cover the pan with a lid when I add fat.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #789
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried making fried rice, but I have fried the House Foods shirataki spaghetti to make lo mein. I usually use the rice in things like my stuffed peppers. Did you use regular shirataki noodles, or the House Foods shirataki/tofu noodles?
Old 04-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #790
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't tried making fried rice, but I have fried the House Foods shirataki spaghetti to make lo mein. I usually use the rice in things like my stuffed peppers. Did you use regular shirataki noodles, or the House Foods shirataki/tofu noodles?
I used the shirataki noodles with tofu. I get the noodles at Albertsons for 1.99 a pkg. I can buy them much cheaper directly from Konjac Foods (their brand) online without the tofu. While we're "talking" have you or anyone else out there made a cold pasta salad with the spaghetti or fettuccine? It's getting hot here and that would be a great lunch to take to work with me.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #791
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I've made macaroni salad with the house foods macaroni. But I haven't been able to find it lately. I haven't tried it with the Kitchenaid pasta yet.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #792
arkansasgentleman
Junior LCF Member

I just read the entire thread. My wife and I miss pasta and rice. I hope we have found a substitute. I notice one of the drawbacks most people have listed is that this is bland. I did notice that one person suggested using chicken stock instead of water in the dough. Did anyone ever try this (I didn't notice it in any tweaks)? I tried to make the shirataki noodles from a youtube video and it suggested using chicken stock. They tasted OK, but were HORRIBLE to work with and had an unappealing texture.
arkansasgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #793
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasgentleman View Post
I just read the entire thread. My wife and I miss pasta and rice. I hope we have found a substitute. I notice one of the drawbacks most people have listed is that this is bland. I did notice that one person suggested using chicken stock instead of water in the dough. Did anyone ever try this (I didn't notice it in any tweaks)? I tried to make the shirataki noodles from a youtube video and it suggested using chicken stock. They tasted OK, but were HORRIBLE to work with and had an unappealing texture.
I put a little garlic powder in mine.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #794
frogg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
My daughter accidentally stripped the Norpro I bought so it doesn't turn. I was about to give up and just order another one. I had it in my cart on Amazon and everything but I held off. I was walking in the mall in today and passed Think Kitchen (formerly Stokes) and low and behold, a grinder that looked the same but in red was on sale for $19.99! It didn't come with the plastic pasta parts. I took the chance and bought it and sure enough, my pasta parts from the Norpro fit. Like I said, exactly the same and a fraction of the price plus no shipping and handling to pay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 12.11.47 AM.jpg (29.2 KB, 17 views)
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #795
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/142/146-120
WOE: Weight Watchers, IF and knowledgeable
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
Wow I'm still reading but once I get the ingredients I'm looking forward to making some pasta!
This time is forever I say this again!!
Goal I donít know where Iíll end up but Iím happy where I am!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #796
arkansasgentleman
Junior LCF Member

I am thrilled to see this thread make a resurgence. I had almost given up on pasta/rice after several failed attempts until I found this thread. (My first 2 attempts at this recipe also failed due to recipe variances and cooking methods. So keep trying.) My recent attempts have been great. We bought the old style KA Pasta Extruder off of Ebay (cheap). The macaroni attachment didn't do well, so we have been sticking with the thick spaghetti attachment. I did tweak the recipe by adding an extra egg and cutting the baking powder to 1/2 teaspoon, due to my cooking method. The baking powder is what makes the noodles "rise/swell" when boiled, if not boiling I don't think it is really needed. Cutting it down and adding the extra egg seems to help the texture for me. The spaghetti does well with sauce, meat sauce and alfredo. I have not been able to mix the sauce with the noodles while cooking (with or without the tweaks) because it seemed to gum up the sauce. But putting the noodles in boiling water for a short time and ladling the sauce over the noodles worked very good (the microwave method didn't do very well for me for some reason either). Where this recipe has been a world changer for me is the "rice factor". Rice has a similar texture to noodles, so I made the above large spaghetti with the tweaks and cut it into about 1/4" to 1/2" pieces. I then have used them as a rice substitute for various dishes. THIS added so many options to our meals. I have pan fried the noodles in a little butter or and they are ready to go. They have the texture of fried rice. I have made chicken and rice, stir fry, beef rice, mexican rice, and used it under beef tips. I have made the rice and the rest of the dish seperate and added them together at serving to keep the texture consistent, so recipes will have to be tweaked some. I wanted to try to use chicken broth in the place of the water to enhance the flavor, but haven't done so yet. This is so much better than Miracle Noodles and Califlower Rice.

Happy Low Carb Cooking! Now with Noodles and Rice!!! I am learning that with enough patience and research everything can be copied or substituted into low carb.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #797
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Would you please list your exact ingredients and measurements? I would like to try your tweaks.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #798
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
Popped in to the forums today and see that this thread is "still ticking" like a Timex watch. LOL Glad you folks are continuing to have fun with it. I still make these dumplings for the hubs from time to time.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #799
sherrymyra
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I'm thinking I want to make this pasta "again" soon. I used the original one and I thought it was really good.

I wonder if for rice type you could take the dough ball and put it through a cheese grater.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #800
arkansasgentleman
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Would you please list your exact ingredients and measurements? I would like to try your tweaks.
Tweaks for pan sauteed rice/pasta:

2 eggs
6T oat fiber
6T glucomannan powder
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t coconut flour
1 1/2C water
dash of garlic powder
1/2T oil

mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, combine dry and wet, let sit for a couple of minutes, extrude through pasta machine

I cut in 1/2" pieces or smaller to use as rice substitute or desired length for specific dishes. I like the texture a lot better for all dishes if the noodles/rice are sauteed in a nonstick pan with a little butter for 30 secs. to about a min.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #801
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't wait to try this tomorrow!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #802
arkansasgentleman
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

2 eggs
6T oat fiber
6T glucomannan powder
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t coconut flour
1 1/2C water
dash of garlic powder
1/2T oil

mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, combine dry and wet, let sit for a couple of minutes, extrude through pasta machine

I cut in 1/2" pieces or smaller to use as rice substitute or desired length for specific dishes. I like the texture a lot better for all dishes if the noodles/rice are sauteed in a nonstick pan with a little butter for 30 secs. to about a min.
I made this again tonight as an experiment. I had frozen about a serving size portion in a freezer bag and wanted to see how it cooked. I put a little butter in a skillet with some beef base and dehydrated onions, then added the noodles/rice. I didn't know how long to cook this since it was straight out of the freezer. I cooked it a little longer than I intended and it actually turned out...well....kinda crispy. It was almost like flavored chow mein noodles. A good accident. I love having new textures to work with. My wife loved it and she is picky.

I would encourage you to keep trying the different tweaks from posters or try your own. Everyone's taste is different.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #803
arkansasgentleman
Junior LCF Member

If you are not reading through all of this thread, I might add that this recipe is not only Low Carb, it has very few calories due to it being mainly fiber. This is a great way to add bulk to meals without adding calories.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #804
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
It's great news about the chow mein noodle crispiness. I will definitely try your tweaks. Thanks.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #805
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

2 eggs
6T oat fiber
6T glucomannan powder
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t coconut flour
1 1/2C water
dash of garlic powder
1/2T oil

I made this with a few dashes of garlic.

I cooked them in chicken fat with chicken and veg and a little water. Wow so good! Carb loving family enjoyed it very much.

I can't wait to try them with everything! I have a omega juicer with a pasta attachment and they came out just like Ramon noodles. I have two small ziplocks of them in the freezer.

Thank you all so much. These completely blow away miracle noodles. Which I will still eat just cause they are easy. But my family will not.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #806
PoisonedApple
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PoisonedApple
Have been a member for years, have browsed for even longer, but usually I don't post. Only read... hungrily

Anyway, I believe that perhaps the original manufacturer of the Norpro might be selling them unbranded on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Meat-...-/181698263320

THIS price, despite the 2-week shipping time, is *very* attractive to me...

Just thought I'd share in case this was a great find.
PoisonedApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #807
sherrymyra
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
That is a good deal. Love the colors. Ships from China. Might take a while for shipping.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #808
frogg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
If you do get a grinder that doesn't have the pasta parts, you can always order the parts off Norpro

http://consumer.norpro.com/index.php...parts.html?p=3

I found this out today because I went to make some macaroni and fettuccine but couldn't find those two pieces *anywhere*! I looked and looked and looked but I only had the spaghetti, rigatoni and penne parts. I really like the other two the best. So I searched online and it was super easy to buy and only cost $16. I had to buy all 5 pieces but I thought oh well, thems the breaks for losing your favourite pieces.

5 minutes after I placed the order I stumbled on the missing macaroni and fettuccine parts in the little cutlery drainer on my drainboard. I haven't made the pasta in MONTHS and they were still in there lol. COME ON

Last edited by frogg; 11-01-2016 at 09:55 PM..
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #809
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
One of these days I'm going to make a batch of the dumplings, but make them tiny as a sub for chili beans.
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #810
Jent11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jent11
Stats: 255/178/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC: Jan 2013 JUDDD: Sept 2015
Just wanted to once again reaffirm my undying love for this recipe. It's my favorite and the one I eat most often above everything else. A huge bowl of pasta + low calorie tomato sauce for < 100 calories?

Just made it again, for anyone interested here's what an octuple batch looks like:

Jent11 is offline   Reply With Quote