Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
evas
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Even though I've only lost 5 pounds...

...I'm super excited because it feels "legitimate" this time. My last couple of half-hearted attempts I would eat well for 3 or 4 days and drop about 2 pounds (which I assumed was mostly water weight) but then my head wouldn't really be into it and I'd just throw in the towel and instantly put those 2 pounds back on.

This time, I've stuck with it for a full 2 weeks (minus one meal last Sunday) and I've been diligent and I've gotten past those "2 pounds" to hit 5 pounds!

I feel very good about this I guess it's the small things that do it for me. Hopefully as this weight loss journey continues those "small things" will continue to be so rewarding!

Hopefully I can stick with this for long enough to really set some new habits and get used to this way of eating for the long haul. So a question for those of you who've been doing this for years: Do you ever truly get used to this way of eating and never look back? Or do you still sometimes wish for the high-carb stuff that you've sworn off or replaced?
evas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
JessieBear
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
That depends, evas. I have done LC off and on over the years, but never really stuck with it. Once I added the grain free element to that, it has been like a light switch turned on. Not only do I not have cravings any more, but don't even have a taste for breads and sugars. A lot of that has to do with how much healthier I feel, even before the weight loss started. I know I can live like this, but the hidden wheat in atkins bars, twizzlers, soy sauce and canned soups were more than just "carb counts" for me. That grain kept me having cravings 24/7 and constantly being hungry.

You just have to find what is going to work for you.

Congrats on the first 5 pounds and heres to many more!
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
JMacB
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
My one-year anniversary of this Way of eating is coming up Fabruary 1. I honestly no longer crave things. Now when I want to indulge, it is within the parameters of low-carb. For instance, pecans! I want to eat an entire bowl! But pizza and other wheat-based things have no appeal to me. It helps that I read Taubes' book and wheat belly - just made me realize those weren't foods I want to eat any longer.

Good luck - its great to eat and feel full and still lose!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
I tried low carb as an experiment in October 1999 and I felt so good that I have continued to eat low carb combined with eating clean (unprocessed)as much as possible. I like mostly lean proteins so it 's much like "lean for life" plan. Low carb fits my lifestyle and appetite.

Last edited by Casey; 01-19-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
And like JmacB above, when I "cheat" it's with low carb choices - bacon, cream cheese, etc.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
wannabethin57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
That depends, evas. I have done LC off and on over the years, but never really stuck with it. Once I added the grain free element to that, it has been like a light switch turned on. Not only do I not have cravings any more, but don't even have a taste for breads and sugars. A lot of that has to do with how much healthier I feel, even before the weight loss started. I know I can live like this, but the hidden wheat in atkins bars, twizzlers, soy sauce and canned soups were more than just "carb counts" for me. That grain kept me having cravings 24/7 and constantly being hungry.

You just have to find what is going to work for you.

Congrats on the first 5 pounds and heres to many more!
Can u share a typical days menu? My doctor said to not eat wheat or dairy? I plan on reading more about the wheat belly plan. Hidden wheats must be causing all my ravenous food cravings. Thank u!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
wannabethin57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
congratulations! I am struggling right now.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
JMacB
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Well, I would disagree about dairy. I don't know how I'd make it without heavy whipping cream. But wheat you need to say good-bye to. Cutting wheat and sugar has made this way of eating so easy.

My analogy: I don't care for seafood, never have. I am not tempted to try something that "sounds" delicious if it has shrimp or crab or fish in it. And since I live close to the gulf coast and new Orleans, my whole life I've been ordering around on a menu to find what I can eat. Now I do the same thing, only avoidi g wheat and sugar. If I have choices, I can always find something I can eat, without ever needing someone to make something special for me. It's only when I have no choice (aka meetings that are catered in with sandwiches) that I have to worry. Fortunatly that is few and far between.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
tymom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
also, cutting wheat and sugar is easy to mantra in your head, easy to explain to people and urge them to consider, and pretty much sums up the basics of LC. Reading Wheat Belly and Taubes, in addition to all of Atkin's work, i think is critical. You need to get the WHY and not just the WHAT/HOW of LC.

Best of luck!

Tymom (Ty's Mom)
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
sya_unit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I also read the labels. There are soy sauces that are wheat free. The name starts with a T I think. My family is full of celiacs, so I am super careful as I prolly have it, but won't go thru testing as they want me to eat wheat to diagnose me. My meals are easy simple ones. Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: Coffee, hwc (or coconut milk if I have it), steak, eggs
L: beef patty, bacon, cheese, onion, mushroom, mustard to dip
D: Ham rolls (ham with cream cheese, pickles) dipped in mustard dip

I buy ingredients, not meals.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
toogood
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabethin57 View Post
congratulations! I am struggling right now.
You know what finally clicked for me was? It was the realization that I will struggle REGARDLESS. Meaning that I will struggle with giving up eating noodles (my down fall) or struggle with feeling guilty, fat, and ugly after I ate. I chose the less evil. I struggle with not eating carbs but that is only momentarily. As soon as I eat something else I am done. Yes, there is always the next meal but it is so much easier than feeling worthless and like crap through out the night. You just have to choose the less evil.

As for the whole grain thing I have also came to a realization. My 13 yr old dd was having stomach periodically. This was happening almost daily after lunch at school. I had a feeling it might be due to wheat. So during Christmas break I cut out all wheat products for her. Guess what? No more stomach pain! NOt even one! What does this tell me? It tells me that wheat is not good for her or any of us. What's interesting is that she has always had asthma and joint pains once in a while. Partly she is a hard core dancer and asthma is excersise induced for her. Now I am watching her and she hasn't used her inhaler. I am hoping these issues will go away. Will report back. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are struggling you can change your mindset by KNOWING that wheat is not good for you. You choose what you want to feel crappy about. Eating wheat and crap or choosing to let go of that cake but lose weight while at it. Good luck!
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
toogood
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Quote:
Originally Posted by sya_unit View Post
I also read the labels. There are soy sauces that are wheat free. The name starts with a T I think. My family is full of celiacs, so I am super careful as I prolly have it, but won't go thru testing as they want me to eat wheat to diagnose me. My meals are easy simple ones. Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: Coffee, hwc (or coconut milk if I have it), steak, eggs
L: beef patty, bacon, cheese, onion, mushroom, mustard to dip
D: Ham rolls (ham with cream cheese, pickles) dipped in mustard dip

Ya, my husband's family wants me to take my daughter and get diagnosed. Here is the problem. Unless you are severly intolerant to gluten the test will be negative. Most people are walking around simply being sensitive to gluten. It can range from mild to severe and change over time. As a mom, I just know in my heart that may be the issue. One of the doctor's in a book I read (can't remember which one right now) stated that if you suspect that may be the issue to simply cut out wheat for 2 weeks and see how you feel. That is the best indicator for you.
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
JessieBear
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabethin57 View Post
Can u share a typical days menu? My doctor said to not eat wheat or dairy? I plan on reading more about the wheat belly plan. Hidden wheats must be causing all my ravenous food cravings. Thank u!
You are fortunate to have a doc who gets the wheat thing! I do as well, and his support has been tremendous.

Highly recommend Wheat Belly. The 3rd day without wheat was like waking up in a different body. For the first 5 days, I could hardly eat at all because I didn't understand the difference between true "hunger" and just "craving food". It is a different sensation. I also dropped 10 pounds in the first 12 days, but have purposely plateaued the last ~10 days - because I am trying to get my mind wrapped around what I can and can't eat, so have been eating high carb wheat-free substitutes like things made with brown rice starch while I work through this. I have been living on wheat free, dairy free mac-n-cheese from the organics store the last week - but it is LOADED with carbs! I think 95 per serving or some crazy thing.

I would recommend his new cookbook over the original Wheat Belly if budget is a concern. The first 25% of the book condenses the information and explains what happened in the 1970s when wheat was modified over the decade to increase yield, and how that is contributing to the diabetes and obesity epidemic. 2 slices of wheat toast will spike blood sugar higher than Snickers bar! The second 25% talks about how to rid your kitchen of wheat and all of the places it likes to hide (soy sauce, ice cream, spice mixes, marinades, salad dressing, canned soups, slim jims, etc...) - and teaches you how to build a wheat free kitchen (use almond flour for these kinds of recipies, coconut flour for those, etc...) Then the back half is all recipies that are wheat free, so a 3-for-1!

I am learning how to cook (never had an interest), so my diet is really boring. Forgetting the mac-n-cheese at work, this is what I have been living on:

1. Cheri's Southwest Taco Soup (grain and sugar free, has dairy)
2. Ben's chili (grain, dairy and sugar free)
3. Tuna with mayo and dill relish - with Almond Nut crackers (high carb, no wheat)
4. Atkins Mudslide bars occasionally - be careful though, a lot of Atkins bars have wheat in them.
5. Salads without croutons, I use organic gluten-free dressing (has dairy)
6. Fat bombs - I do the butter/cream cheese ones, look for a dairy free variety
7. Lots and lots of dark green vegetables

Good luck! I hope you see tremendous success with this WOE. It has changed my life unlike past attempts at low carb! Give it month trial - you really have nothing to lose other than weight and cravings!
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
JessieBear
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sya_unit View Post
And that just became my new sig line.