Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
unna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Eating "normal" and feeling terrible!

My husband's mother is a gourmet cook. Her dishes are prepared with a lot of love and with days of preparation.

I am primal-low-carb (whole foods), and I love it. But, for very special, rare occasions I do eat her gourmet cooking. Yesterday, I ate one full dinner she prepared (which included 3 courses), and today (which was three courses).

I'm not sure if it is the sugar, or if there was MSG in something, or if it is psychological ---- but I really feel like crap. My good, energetic mood has took a turn for the worse. I have a stomachache and a bad headache, and I normally never get either.

I usually never eat sugar, and I've had four desserts in the past two days. Also, I noticed that one of her broths tasted salty in an odd way - I know it was homemade chicken broth, but I'm thinking she must have added some flavor enhancer to it.

I'm not worried about "falling off the wagon" - I'm SO ready to start eating primal low carb again. That really isn't an issue at all for me.

I'm just curious, do you guys think my symptoms are real or psychological? Is anyone else confused about whether the "off plan" food they ate over christmas has really made them feel like crap, or if the real cause is psychological? Am I mentally making myself feel like crap?

Sort of like the vegan that claims that any type of animal product will make them deathly ill..... am I doing the same thing? Is anyone else wondering about this?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
FatCat

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
They are real.

When you eat low carb for a while, then eat a high carb meal, it is typical that you get a 'sick' feeling. I noticed it long ago, and many people report it after stuffing themselves with carby foods at Thanksgiving and if they have a family dinner at Christmas. Those are the most common times.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
I won't eat "normal" food anymore. It is, in reality, not normal. Eating it makes me ache & itch all over, just to name a couple of the negatives.

Really normal food is more like what you eat regularly. That is closer to how our ancestors ate. Our bodies were not meant to eat the foods the average American eats every day.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
King James Version (KJV), Ecclesiastes 3:1
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
jara
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jara
Stats: (258/258/175)
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/04-12/13...gained 65 lb...restart 1/16
ugh, i am right there with you! thanksgiving and xmas we went off plan because we are visiting a lot of family, etc...i have felt like crap the last few days, tired, groggy, and bloated! tomorrow i will be right back on plan!
jara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
jhbyrd
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/211/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012/ Sept 2015
I sorta like knowing that "REGULAR" food makes me sick because that means I will be right back on track!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
princessmommy
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 214/209/150
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Oh it's real! I ate LC today at lunch Other then 2 little bitty cookie pieces and Those messed my stomach up! I'm not used to sugar or/and flour anymore so when I eat it I Pay big time!
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*

Starting Again! Lost 67 lbs then gained a lot back
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
LiterateGriffin
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /210.8/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
It's very, VERY real.

In fact, back when I ate "normal"? I used to live in Midtown in a big city, and we'd walk everywhere. 100% of the time, after dinner, I'd end up doubled over in pain, on the way home, feeling like I'd shatter like glass if someone touched me. (Irritable Bowel Syndrome. ) That is GONE with LC.

Once, we considered the crappy way we felt "normal". It's like when you develop bad eyesight -- you don't notice, at first, because this is just how things look. It takes going to the eyedoctor and seeing CLEARLY (even briefly) to realize how POORLY you've been seeing.

Same thing. You have to stop feeling like crud from the food you eat to notice that the food you eat makes you feel like crud.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Meli-Mel
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/171.4/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbyrd View Post
I sorta like knowing that "REGULAR" food makes me sick because that means I will be right back on track!!!
I'm getting a big dose of that the last two days. My stomach is a mess and I am bloated like crazy!! Back to my "normal" tomorrow and feeling so much better!
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Trigger828
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 234 /179 / 170?
WOE: A72, ZC
Yup, I also agree it is real.

your body is revolting from frankencrap. simple as that. when you eat cleaner and go back to higher carby enhanced meals you pay for it.

hang in there. back on plan it will be a few days you will feel wonderful, and get that big reminder of how eating your good way is well worth it!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
LoriWants2Lose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
It is the carbs. They aren't good for us and our bodies tell us so. You'll feel better once you get back on plan. I am going to go on strict induction tomorrow for probably about a week. Something like this:

B: 2 eggs, turkey bacon
L: Leftover turkey
D: Leftover ham and green beans (1 cup)
S: 2 oz. cheese

Lots of water!

I don't get bored with food I like, so I may just eat the same meals all week long.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
lynnport
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
I'm right there with you. I made my entire meal low carb. I didn't make dessert, so decided to have a small piece of lemon pie without crust. My stomach hurts so much right now I doubt I'll sleep tonight. I can't wait to get back on track tomorrow.
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
unna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Oh man - thanks everyone for answering!

princessmommy: Last week, I also had four very little delicate cookies that my mother-in-law made for a special "coffee time" with the family, in preparation for Christmas (I live in Germany and Christmas is a very long celebration here!).

Anyway, I started feeling nauseous in a weird way directly after eating the cookies! I told myself "Rebecca, stop being dramatic! These little cookies are not healthy, but they aren't enough to give you a stomach ache".

I've been primal low-carb since January 2012..... and for the past couple months I found that I feel better with even more fat and fewer carbs.... I guess I have changed my body chemistry in that time.

What confuses me: I used to be able to eat those little cookies and more. No nausea, no bad mood following. Of course I was overweight and always unhappy, but I never ever felt sick to my stomach directly after eating a cookie. I've never had outward signs of any sort of intolerance.

Why do we feel nauseous and/or headache after spending a lot of time on a low-carb, sugar free diet? Also, I literally cannot drink alcohol at all anymore. I pay dearly.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
FitnessWanabee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2017
As moderate carb is gaining traction in the culture that will change the definition of "normal".
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #14
Velvet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
"Good" to hear that I am not the only one. I ate a lot of carbs last weekend and felt awefull later, not because I felt as if I was gaining or anything, but I really felt sick. (And had epic cramps)

Carbs=evil.

Start 220 1 okt 2012
205==> 21 nov 2012
200==> 12 dec 2012
195==> 16 jan 2013
Blog: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...carb-life.html
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
Lillianna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 213/188/150 5'6" Highest:240 lbs.
WOE: 25-50 carbs per day
Start Date: 1/1/2017
It's definitely real... I have the same problem. My body just can't handle grains anymore. I haven't had corn or wheat for a few months. Yesterday I had tortilla chips and chocolate cake (not to mention way too many low carb goodies). I felt so sick last night. My body was trying it's hardest to (ahem) 'expel' all that junk as quickly as possible.

My over indulgence was so not worth it...
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I can't eat off plan because of the 'adverse' effects and that fact makes life very simple for me.
I think that when a person is eating a high carb woe, they have built up a tolerance and their gut flora is a big part of that. When eating a low carb woe, those things adjust accordingly and when a sudden reversal happens, the body reacts like a toxin has been ingested. In fact, it is a toxin and the body's response is to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
nolcjunk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I eat off plan with homemade stuff but I don't get reactions from it. Why would my body react from food from scratch just because it has more carbs? I think a lot of the reactions that people tend to get from going off plan are caused by the amount of food- 4 desserts in 2 days seems is a lot and a 3 course meal can be hard on your digestive system if you usually eat more plainly and eat fewer calories in one meal.

I can eat a slice of good quality cake and be totally fine but I also know others who do paleo and when they go off plan they eat A cake as one serving and then complain that high carb foods make them sick- no, it's the whole cake, not the sugar in it.

ETA And, that is one of the things that I hate about other people's cooking. Some think they are being gourmet about it but adding flavor enhances like MSG just defeats the whole purpose and makes everything taste so fake. If you make a chicken broth from meat and vegetables and herbs and spices there is no need to add anything like msg to it for flavor.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 12-26-2012 at 09:24 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #18
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
One reason feel bad after eating carbs is that abstaining from the food for a long time allows hidden food intolerances to show up when you eat the food again.

Another reason is that the balance of our digestive enzymes (and gut flora, as Clackley notes) change to handle the food we usually ingest. When we give up carbs, we feel lousy because of that shift (induction flu); when we suddenly eat carbs like sugar and flour again, we feel lousy because our bodies aren't used to those things.

Feel better soon, everyone who changed their diet to accomodate holiday meals and is feeling the effects now.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
What are others eating to get rid of this horrible gassy, bloaty, achey thing? I know lots of water...
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
SoHappy
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I expect how you are feeling is physical too, rather than *all in your head*. Food affects us. Many people feel sick enough when they first start eating low carb that there's an actual term for the period of misery they go through... induction flu. But it goes away after awhile, and they start to get adjusted to their new diet foods/absence of previous foods, and feel fine again. You just experienced that in reverse when you ate some foods you were no longer used to.

Folks get adverse reactions to all kinds of foods. Just think of the folks who can't tolerate shellfish, or nuts, or milk, or wheat. And then there are those who can't tolerate high levels of a macro nutrient. Some can't tolerate very high carb levels. I can't tolerate very high fat levels without feeling nauseated. Foods absolutely do affect us, particularly when we aren't *used* to certain things. Maybe next time go pretty easy on her gourmet foods and add in some of your everyday standards too. Hope you feel better shortly.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
LoriWants2Lose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Another reason is that the balance of our digestive enzymes (and gut flora, as Clackley notes) change to handle the food we usually ingest.
That would explain why things we used to be able to eat now bother us. Hadn't thought of that.

Of course, before low carb I had all kinds of tummy issues anyway and those are now mostly gone.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Purple Crayon
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee View Post
As moderate carb is gaining traction in the culture that will change the definition of "normal".
When I look at my plate and compare it to others', I realize that I am the only person eating "normal" food. Everyone else's plate is loaded with processed crap.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
JessieBear
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
That happens to me too, and finally figured out it is the wheat that is snuck in. Even Atkins breakfast bars have wheat in the ingredient list. ARGH!

Wouldn't surprise me if MSG is a culprit (broth) or even sugar substitutes you aren't normally eating.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
It is real for me. I think there are two kinds of people. 1) People who are sensitive to carbs gain lots of weight from them and they make them feel like everyone here is describing. 2.) "Normal" people can eat huge amount of carbs without gaining weight or making them feel bad.

I am in the first group, as are most if the people here. If you are to, you need to accept the fact that you are and not try to jump into group 2. It is always funny to me that people are willing to eat to please their family or friends. If you were an alcoholic, I don't think your family and friends would be pressuring you to take a drink just at the special holiday times, but they sure do it with food. You need to find other ways to please your mother in law. Or maybe if she is that insensitive to your feelings, maybe you shouldn't worry about pleasing her at all.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Yellobrix
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
It's very real! The human body equips itself with the enzymes and gut flora that are appropriate to how we eat. Because your body has been properly outfitted to digest and assimilate nutrition from a primal diet, a large load of carbohydrate, as well as foods not regularly eaten, gives your body a bunch of stuff to digest that it doesn't have a method to process. This can result either in constipation, as your gut slows and works harder, or gas from a "bloom" of new microbes not normally at home in your intestines, or diarrhea, with your body simply trying to move the junk out as quickly as possible.

I think that's also a large part of what people call "induction flu," meaning feeling sick, fatigued, weak, and just generally "out of whack" during the first 3-10 days of eliminating simple cabohydrates. The body needs several days to alter the gut flora enough to digest properly, but more like 30-60 days for maximum efficiency in extracting and assimilating nutrition from a new eating habit.

The faster you go back to your normal way of eating, the faster you'll regain your proper balance - and the longer you wait, the more difficult it is for your body to turn it around again. (In other words, a couple of meals might make you feel icky, but if you keep it up for a month, it will be painful to restart.)
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
juliekaboolie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
It's real! We suffer from that reaction, too, when eating off plan. I think your body adjusts the amount of enzymes it makes to process certain foods. So vegetarians get that reaction to meat because they lack the enzymes to digest it efficiently. It can be built back up, but you need to be certain that's what you want to do! Lol! We eat Primal, and any 'cheating' causes gastric distress. You aren't alone!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #27
Blondie302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
Ditto to the above. I ate off plan a few times during the holidays. Not only did I gain weight (as I expected) but I have felt like crap. SO tired, stomach gurgeling, legs hurt, severe headache. I didn't realize until reading this thread that the foods I had ate could be causing this. Thank you for posting this.
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote