Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2002, 07:58 AM   #31
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dougieb
I made another basic cheesecake two days ago. This is the first time I used a springform pan an I made some mistakes... first, I used the large size (11 inch) instead of the middle size (9 inch) in the 3 pan set I got from WalMart.

Then when I put the cheesecake in the waterbath, I had too much water in the pan and it went over the top of my aluminum foil and so my hazelnut crust was a little soggy.

I think my first effort was better than the one I made two days ago, it is still a very good cheesecake.

I think I like it a little sweeter than the 1 cup of Splenda makes it taste. Maybe next time I will add another 1/4 cup or so of Splenda/sucaryl.

BTW, this time I topped it with a marionberry sauce. If you've never had them, they are the most wonderful blackberry in the world, imo... no sharp or bitter aftertaste like you can get with boysenberries or himalaya's (sp?).

Another thing - I think I will try this without a crust next time, or maybe even try a crust with almond meal, too. The hazelnut it nice, but it can be a touch strong in flavor, too, especially if you bake it before adding the cheesecake batter (baking in advance like that give sit a real earthy, toasty flavor).

Doug
dougieb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2002, 12:40 PM   #32
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

I made another basic cheesecake for DD's BDay last Saturday. It was the best ever. I used almond meal for a crust this time(about 2 cups), butter and splenda and baked it for about 15-20 minutes, then let it cool before I made the cheesecake batter.

I made a blueberry topping that went perfectly with it.

I plan on making another cheesecake for a family reunion this coming Saturday.

These things are just too good to make for one or two people, that's for sure!

Doug
Old 08-15-2002, 06:13 AM   #33
NorthernNisse
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
Beachgirl's Coconut Cheesecake

At long last, here it is...I had a slice for breakfast this morning and it is AWESOME! Enjoy!

Beachgirl’s Coconut Cheesecake
Ingredients:
-32 ounces cream cheese
-1 cup vanilla DaVinci syrup
-2-3 capfuls coconut extract
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
-3 tablespoons sour cream
-3 ozs. Unsweetned coconut

How to Prepare:
With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, extract and syrup at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. With a spatula, gently fold in the coconut until just mixed. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so don’t believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn’t.) Always treat the batter gently. Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake. Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly. It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

NOTES:
- I could only find imitation coconut extract, if you can get the real stuff - go for it. Also, adjust the amount of extract based on how intense you want the flavor.
- 3 ozs. of coconut is just under 1 cup
- I used 1/3 reduced fat Philly cream cheese for this because it had fewer carbs than the regular stuff.
-I figure just under 5 carbs a piece for this. I ran it through fitday yesterday as best I could.
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 06:47 AM   #34
DairyQueen
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
tibby -- did you just substitute the one cup of davincis for the one cup of splenda even steven?

dq

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:19 AM   #35
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

I did it the last time, too. But mine was set out at a dessert social and was gone in 5 minutes so I wouldn't have known about the freezing thing, lol!

I have also used liquid sucralose and sucaryl (cyclamates) and that works most excellently with reduced carbs also.

Doug
Old 09-12-2002, 09:02 AM   #36
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

Tibby,

I thought the hazelnuts would be good, too. I love 'em as I grew up with them here in the NW. But they tend to be a little overpowering for the delicate flavor of these cheesecakes.

I have since used almond meal for my crusts. Last night I made my first cheesecake with no crust. Very good all by itself.

For almond crust:

2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup Splenda
1-3 Tblspn. unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
4-6 Tblsp. melted butter.

I pour the almond meal, cocoa powder and splenda in a bowl and mix well with a fork. Then I add 4 Tblsp. of buttter and mix well... if it seems too dry I add another 1-2 Tblspn and mix. Then press it into the bottom of your pan and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool completely before adding in the cheesecake batter.

Doug

Last edited by dougieb; 09-12-2002 at 09:03 AM..
Old 09-12-2002, 02:39 PM   #37
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
You can also do a blend of different nuts and get excellent flavor. I use pecan and almond meal mixed together well, and it is delish. Also, try adding unsweetened coconut to the hazelnuts or pecans - it produces a much milder flavor.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 04:34 AM   #38
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

ooooh, Auntie, those are some great suggestions.

I have been trying to talk DW into trying the coconut cheesecake with me and she said she's not much of a coconut fan... then I reminded her of the Haggen Das (sp?) coconut ice cream we had at a friend's house before I started Atkins... NOW she's on board, lol!

Doug
Old 09-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #39
essence
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: essence
Stats: 275/239/175
WOE: protein power/atkin 72
Tibby_ what type of syrup did u use. i wantto do this tommrow but want a good tasteing syrup, something that will compliment the cheesecake

239/? /200
essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #40
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

essence,

most people have been using 1 cup of the DaVinci sugar free vanilla syrup in place of splenda in the basic cheesecake.

I used 1-1/4 cups once and it worked good.

I made the pumpkin cheesecake (without the white chocolate) last time and it was very good. I like a topping so after the cake was chilled, I cut out a couple individual pieces for DW and I and spooned some splenda sweetened sour cream mixed with a dash of pumpkin spice over the top. Oooooo-la-la!

Doug

Last edited by dougieb; 09-23-2002 at 04:37 AM..
Old 09-21-2002, 12:49 AM   #41
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Mmmmmmm Doug! That pumpkin cheesecake sounds awesome with the sour cream/ spice mixture. My mouth waters at the thought. I was thinking that maybe some cream cheese mixed with the sour cream and splenda would give it the "feeling" of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting...What do you think? Just a guess, since I haven't tried the pumpkin, and you've got me interested. With the Canadian Thanksgiving coming up in just a few weeks, I'd like to try this! TIA!

Auntie
Old 09-22-2002, 07:37 PM   #42
ozdancer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 210/210/158
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: now: April 2018 last times: March 09 & April 02
I finally got up the nerve to make a cheesecake this weekend. I turned out great, although I think I might try less nutmeg or cinamon instead - it's a little strong on that for me. I'm making another one in 2 days - this was my trial run, the next one is to take to work for my birthday instead of them buying something I can't eat!

I think I'll add the almondmeal crust to the 2nd one, hmmm wish I could get some davinci syrups over here .

I did find that it was really hard to mix the cream cheese & splenda. I only have an electric hand mixer, not a proper mixing bowl, is there a way to soften the cream cheese first to make this easier? I guess I could always 'melt' it in the microwave, but that tends to burn & discolor quickly.

I'm glad I found this thread today, lot of great tips for my next cheesecake - thanks everyone

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:09 PM   #43
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

ozdancer - You should make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature. This is what I do to soften the creamcheese:
Take the cream cheese out of the foil packages, and cut into 1/8ths - or even smaller. Place in large glass bowl, and leave out on the counter for about 3 - 4 hours. If I'm in a hurry, I cover the bowl tightly, then place the bowl in the sink, and fill the sink half way up the sides of the bowl with hot water. Leave sit for about 20 minutes. Stir the cheese to distribute, replace the water with more hot water, and let sit for another 20 minutes or so.

At this point, the cream cheese should be soft enough to blend. Cream the cream cheese until it is smooth before adding the Splenda, then just mix to blend, and you're on your way.

Good luck!

Auntie

[/color]

Old 09-23-2002, 04:02 AM   #44
Jenifer_in_CA
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
Start Date: 6/28/04
I don't know how much this differs from blocked cream cheese, but I found whipped cream cheese spread at the grocery store. It was their store brand. The numbers (carbs, fat, sugar, etc.) were all the same as blocked cream cheese. Anyway, when I went to use it the other day to make chocolate cream cheese (YUM!), I took it out of the fridge only to find that it was quite soft already so I didn't even have to let it sit.

If anyone knows why I shouldn't be using this stuff, please let me know! LOL

Old 09-23-2002, 04:40 AM   #45
Cyrano
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyrano
Stats: size 12/size 12/size 8
Start Date: January 2000
Jennifer... my first guess is "no, don't use it" because with whipped cream cheese you have more air in there, so the volume is wrong. Unless it really all goes by weight. Hmm... 8 oz. is 8 oz. so maybe it's ok. I think if you're measuring it in cups or whatever, there might be a problem, but by weight, I don't see a problem. Are there any other ingrediants in there that are weird?
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:16 AM   #46
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

Auntie, I think you should try it both ways just to be sure!

Ozdancer, When I made the pumpkin cheesecake I didn't have on hand the actual Pumpkin Pie Spice blend that Schilling makes over here so I improvised with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and mine was a tad strong, too. The sweetened sour cream topping I made cuts that a bit.

Since then I have purchased some Pumpkin Pie Spice blend and will give that a whirl next time. The blend is what I used to whip up the sweetened sour cream with. Also, I tried it with and without a tsp. of lemon juice and can't decide which way I like it best.

I had also thrown in a little Brown Sugar Twin because I noticed other recipes for pumpkin pies and pumpkin pie cheesecakes mention the addition of brown sugar. Now, Sugar Twin in the US has saccharin in it, which has a bitter aftertaste on my taste buds so I only used 1/3 cup... and it was just to the point of being off-putting to me.

I took 4 slices to MIL's last night for dinner and everyone thought it was awesome. I think I am my own worst critic.

Also, I am always just whipping up a cheesecake without much advance preparation so I always end up microwaving my cream cheese to soften it. I open the cream cheese and put the 3-4 "Blocks" in a ceramic mixing bowl and "nuke" it on power level 2 (of a possible 10 on my microwave - which is a defrost mode) for 8-9 minutes and it works great without ruining color or consistency of the cream cheese.

Jenifer, I have never tried the whipped cream cheese for a cheesecake before but I would think it would tend to make your finished product a little less dense... maybe, maybe not.

Doug
Old 09-23-2002, 01:26 PM   #47
ozdancer
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Doug & Auntie3

Thanks for the suggestions & help, I'll see how I go with the next one. I'm gonna use that almondmeal crust & cinnamon instead of the nutmeg (probably cut the amount in 1/2 too). I think I'll add a bit more fruit, as I'll only be having one serving myself shouldn't been too bad on the carbs for me. Heck it's my birthday an extra 10g or so of carbs ain't gonna hurt!!

I'll let you know if it works out and how my work collegues go with it - they all know I LC, but none of them have ever LC'd so we'll see.

Thanks again.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 PM   #48
Rob23NY
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rob23NY
does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a blueberry topping?
i made the cheesecake today and am waiting to try a piece. it's going in the fridge soon. maybe before i head to bed, i'll try a piece!

thanks!!
Rob23NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:37 AM   #49
dougieb
Junior LCF Member

I made a blueberry topping that was pretty good. I used xanthan gum for a thickener, but if you're on maintenance I swear the cornstarch does such a better job. Maybe that's just me.

1 pound fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
1 Tblspn lemon juice
1/4 C Splenda or to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (or 1 Tblspn cornstarch - watch your carbs!)

I put the blueberries in a bowl and let them thaw, or sit as the case may be, with the lemon juice and Splenda. They seem to get softer as they sit and make their own juice. I took about 1/3 C of the juice and mixed in the xanthan gum in a mini food processor to get rid of any potential lumps.

I put the berries in a sauce pan on med-med high heat and warmed them up. Then added the juice/x gum mixture and simmered it a bit but not boiling. Cool in the refrigerator and then serve over a piece of your basic cheesecake. Yum!

I've done fresh raspberries, too, and they don't seem to need thickening or cooking like the blueberries do.

Doug
Old 09-25-2002, 01:43 PM   #50
Rob23NY
Junior LCF Member

hi doug,

thanks for the recipe. any chocolate sauce recipes to drizzle on top of cheesecake?

thanks!
--rob
Old 09-25-2002, 02:04 PM   #51
JazzyV
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 258.65/222.8/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Josie's Chocolate Sauce

From an earlier post by JosieL:

Here's a recipe for chocolate sauce that works great for the cheesecake. You can also make it with Splenda, but still prefer the Diabetisweet, if you can get it .

Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce

1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate or 1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons DiabetiSweet
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In saucepan, melt butter and chocolate squares on low heat.
Add DiabetiSweet and dissolve.
Add cream and bring to boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Add vanilla and mix well.
Mixture will slightly thicken as it cools.

2 servings
Best if eaten warm... poured over cold ice cream.
Also great dirzzled over cheesecake.

Josie
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #52
Rob23NY
Junior LCF Member

hi jazzy,

wow.... that looks great! i have a sweetner
called slimsweet (aka sweet balance). has
anyone used this sweetner to either make
cheesecake or this sauce?

thanks!
--rob
Old 09-27-2002, 06:55 PM   #53
ozdancer
Senior LCF Member

IT WAS A HIT!!

well I made my 2nd cheesecake, incorporating the almondmeal crust & cinnamon instead of nutmeg. It was made for work as normally they buy a cake for someone's birthday & I wanted to have a piece of the cake for my birthday!

It was a hit, everyone really enjoyed it. I made it with mixed berries, but will stick with the blueberries on their own next time. Maybe use other berries for decoration, or try that sauce of Doug's.

Thanks for the suggestions & special thanks to beachgirl for these wonderful recipes (thanks jazzy for passing them on too).

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 10-13-2002, 06:48 AM   #54
Chica Azul
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chica Azul
I have a question. In the recipes that call for baking chocolate (semi-sweet or white), is Beachgirl using SF baking chocolate?
Chica Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:25 AM   #55
Zenday
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zenday
I'd like to make the cheesecake in cupcake size for a special party this weekend. I'll be using foil or paper cupcake wrappers, of course -- but can anyone give me an idea of how long they should bake? I'd hate to ruin them!
Zenday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 11:30 PM   #56
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Chica Azul - Beachgirl uses semi-sweet chocolate.

Zenday - For the cupcakes - my guess is about 25 minutes in a water bath. Check at 20 minutes - they should be jiggly in the middle, but set around the edges. If they're still to jiggly, then bake an additional 5 minutes and check again.

Good luck!

Auntie

[/color]

Old 10-24-2002, 06:21 AM   #57
Zenday
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zenday
Thanks very much for the help, Auntie! I'll try that tonight.
Zenday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:36 AM   #58
SHinOK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
CopperKitty, I get Davinci sugar free vanilla and hazelnut syrups at my Walmart supercenter--It's displayed with the coffee (I think Millstone distributes it in my area. It's always lined up next to their coffee grinder.). Be careful, though! They're always mixed in with the sugar-sweetened ones, and it can be easy to pick up the wrong one!

Was posting to say that, after months of talking myself out of it, I finally broke down and made a half-recipe of Beachgirl's basic cheesecake. OH....MY....GOSH!!!! I do believe it was THE most heavenly, smooth and fabulous food I've ever put in my mouth!! The top was perfectly smooth; the texture was incredible; it was the most velvety, satisfying LC thing I have EVER had!

I made it using SF Davinci vanilla in place of splenda, divided the mixture into soup mugs and put them all into a water bath in a casserole dish to cook. Not a crack in sight!! It was perfect--and absolutely divine! Better than ANY restaurant cheesecake I've ever eaten (IMHO)...utterly delicious.

Had it for breakfast four days in a row and felt SO decadent! YUM!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:59 PM   #59
NancyC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyC
Stats: 158.5/134/118; 5'1''; 54 y/o
Start Date: May 2002
Alright, SHinOK, you can't just leave it at that! Give us some details of your cheesecake fast that lost you 5 lbs.!!!!!!!! I might could handle that!!

I have a question about the PB Cup Cheesecake - Beachgirl says to use semi-sweet chocolate, but I thought that was a no-no. I read where someone used cocoa. How about unsweetened baking chocolate? Any ideas on how to make that work?
NancyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:52 PM   #60
Galatea
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galatea
I used 2 and 1/3 delite bars - dark chocolate. It equals 3 oz and has 1 carb per bar. They are available at Walmart for 1.49 a piece. I melted them on 50% power in the microwave and then slowly blended it into the reserved one cup of batter.
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote