Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Poisoned_Apple
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Poisoned_Apple
Stats: 139/135/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 12/26/2014
High Fat Diets for Kids with ADHD?

So, I myself could stand to loose a few pounds, though I am not what anyone would really consider overweight. My son is 10 and previously we ate a lot of "easy" foods (basically processed garbage such as pasta, sandwiches, cereal - even special k with strawberries I now know is not healthy - almost every morning for breakfast). I started doing research and know the brain is about 60-70% fat. I grew up not eating fat. We drank skim milk for as long as I remember, bought non-fat yogurt, and the whole nine yards). I am ashamed to say that I continued this as my son started growing up, which may be the reason why he has ADHD.

I did some research and wanted to start my son on a high fat diet, but with little restriction of carbs (except getting rid of the garbage and not serving starchy veggies, which I can't have on NK). We are transition to clean meats, dairy, and produce. I don't want to restrict my son too much as he is growing and doesn't need to lose weight. The problem might become that he eats way more fruit then veggies. For example he will eat a Caesar salad with meat, but wants berries on top (and I mean like 25 blackberries with 2 cups of lettuce and maybe 20 pieces of steak). For breakfast he will choose yogurt (whole/plain) adding blueberries, again like 25. He doesn't like eggs - but I am trying to work on that . He is excited about the changes to be healthier and wants to make things like watermelon popsicles and peach smoothies, not squash spaghetti or cauliflower pizza crust. I don't want to discourage him. We make a new meal that he is open to, but not loving and follow it with something he is excited about (smoothie for breakfast the next morning). And while my child is at a wonderful weight (perhaps on the thinner side, but not scrawny) I am afraid that by adding a lot of fat (as I intend to do), in addition to all the carbs he will be getting from the fruits he loves, he will gain too much weight. I am also not taking anything away. I don't buy soda, but when we go out (maybe twice per month) he will be able to get what he likes (which will be soda I know - regular as I don't want he to have aspartame), and I am not going to say he cannot have fries or macaroni as a side dish. He is a kid and I want him to have kid things.

Has anyone else increased the fat in your child's diet for ADHD or something else not related to weight? Any thoughts and suggestions (other than suggesting fruit in moderation - I have said that, but don't want to be a dictator about it, he likes to be a part of meal planning and decision making). I don't want to cause weight problems, but I don't want him taking medication and the brain can't grow optimally without the fats that it needs. I may be overly concerned; I have always been concerned about my weight, as both of my parents are morbidly obese and have or are flirting with things like high blood pressure and diabetes. I was just curious as to other's thoughts as I don't want to do more harm than good.
Poisoned_Apple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/204.8/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/11/15
Not sure about kids, but my husband has ADD pretty severely, even as an adult. He's taken adderall and other meds in the past but wanted to get off medication if possible. I have noticed when he cuts out high carb stuff and focuses more on high fat, he really does seem to do better overall. He hasn't taken any ADD medication in probably 3 years, and definitely does better when his diet is lower carb/higher fat. Definitely worth some experimentation.

Anyway, back to your kid question. Our kids are doing a modified version of low carb. We are limiting their carbs and focusing on high fat foods. They will naturally eat less of the carby stuff when the main focus is fat/protein/green veggies. Maybe only prepare a single serving of higher carb food per person for a meal. If anyone wants seconds, it will be the green veg or the protein.

My youngest daughter used to be a fruitaholic, too - she'd drink 2 or 3 large glasses of grape juice per day plus eat several servings of whole fruit. We talked about how the natural sugar in fruit and juice affect the body the same way white sugar does. Yes, they are full of vitamins and fiber, but still straight into the bloodstream as a simple sugar. As a prediabetic/insulin resistant child, we had to completely change. We switched her grape juice to iced tea or water (fortunately she likes her tea unsweetened) and just buy her enough fruit for one serving per day. She's the only one in the family eating fruit right now, so it's easy to pick out 7 apples or 7 servings of berries. She also never eats the fruit alone - it has to be paired with a serving of fat and protein.

Just my two cents - I say give it a shot for several weeks and see how he does. I wouldn't eliminate any type of food altogether for him, but maybe put some daily limits on fruit and grain servings.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150

http://rachelrbs.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Poisoned_Apple
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the response Rachel. I am glad to hear that a higher fat diet helps your husband with his ADD. It is my hope that it will help my son too. I guess I will buy just enough fruit for 1 helping per day. That would solve the problem and if he eats it all in 2 days it is gone until I shop again.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #4
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-63Kg
WOE: Kwasniewski
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six+ years now!
Hi, P. A. Have you looked into the FailSafe Diet? It addresses how additives, preservatives, etc., as well as things occurring naturally in foods can cause ADHD. The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Allergy Unit, in Australia uses it. Food and chemical intolerance can necessitate eliminating the offending foods and additives, even on a LCHF diet. I wish you success in finding what really helps.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
Poisoned_Apple
Junior LCF Member

Auntie Em, Thanks for the reply. I am not at all familiar with the FailSafe Diet. I will look in to it for sure. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #6
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-63Kg
WOE: Kwasniewski
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six+ years now!
Hi, P. A. I wish you all the best in finding things that help. The additives/chemicals/preservatives are a problem for everyone, as well as the naturally occurring chemicals being troublesome for some. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I think a high fat diet with reasonable amounts of low glycemic fruits is fine. I would avoid treats with so-called "natural sugars" (honey, maple syrup, dates, coconut sugar) but a little fruit is fine. This will definitely be better than pasta and cereal.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, P. A. Have you looked into the FailSafe Diet? It addresses how additives, preservatives, etc., as well as things occurring naturally in foods can cause ADHD. The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Allergy Unit, in Australia uses it. Food and chemical intolerance can necessitate eliminating the offending foods and additives, even on a LCHF diet. I wish you success in finding what really helps.
I wonder if this would be similar to what some people call Clean eating? I am reading about this too for one of my daughters.....
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
To Its me -Wedalina
Please read Sophie Medlin clean eating article.
Please realise it is a fad and made some people rich!

Last edited by Vita oldie; 09-17-2016 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: To highlight who it is for
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:17 AM   #10
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

To Poisoned Apple.
Rachel2writer has experience with ADD -I don't!
If you can reduce the fruit to none or low carb berries with cream or coconut cream/milk
it will help him lose the taste for sweet.
Most people would chose a fruit rather than a veg as a snack!
My problem would be I could/would eat the lot.
I Love Fruit, any kind and could easily live on that.
My sister tells me as a youngster I did! Eating that and cheese! Oops!
Never overweight then so what happened in between.
Hope you can encourage the high fat part.
Have you heard of the Charlie Foundations?
It is an American site set up by the family of a child with severe epilepsy.
Guess what now it is under control!
Great Ormond Hospital use VERY HIGH fat diets also.
One or too of Charlie's recipes are very tasty!
Tried them as they are high fat!
The breakfast porridge is slightly'odd but tasty all the same AND if I remember correctly it has blueberries!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #11
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

To its me - Wendalina.
Wow Triplets girls age 9 and a girl 5!
Well done ! You have survived quite a Mummy role!
Keep giving them your own Way of Eating - Healthy Low Carb!
Is there a specific reason why you think they need a change?
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Vita - hey!!!!
The girls don't really need a change so much as I am just widdling down the list of ingredients in our foods... more ingredients = more processing USUALLY. I know with the trips getting ready to turn 10, that hormones aren't too far from rearing their head but seriously, just fine tuning some of what we already do. We have gone gluten free for the most part (myself, and 2 of the trips 100%) Mine was for my thyroid, E's is for her thyroid & anxiety and A's is for her psoriasis. So that has posed a new set of challenges.

Its something to keep you on your toes all the time, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #13
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

Keep happy and it is good to be prepared!
Hopefully you can sail through all the teenage years!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #14
Vita oldie
Senior LCF Member

Did you watch any of the videos?
Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #15
Amber_Baby
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 298/266/196
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2017
I know this is an old thread but my son is currently going through the assessment process for ADHD and ASD. These are usually genetic, neurological disorders which are not caused by diet or TV or any of the other mythical causes that are claimed. My son has always had whole milk, butter, full fat yoghurt, full fat cheese, meat and nuts and he still has ADHD so please don't blame yourself, it's not your doing.