Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #31
Patricia Dowd
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Welcome to the board George. I love you and your cookbooks. We have them all and use many of the recipes everyday. My husband does all the cooking and loves your cookbooks. I posted about the soy flour because I just do not like the taste and I am new to baking low carb and I am trying to learn how to bake with all these new things that are out today. Jennifer has been such a big help to me. I own all her cookbooks also and she has wonderful mixes I am fooling around with. Please keep the cookbooks coming and I will keep buying.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Amazing Banana Bread French Toast

Banana bread slices

and

1/2 cup milk or cream and water mixture
2 eggs, fork beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In medium bowl, combine milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Dip slices of banana bread into the mixture and fry in hot butter in a frying pan. This won't add significant carbs and if you skip the raisins, it's around 4 g carbs per slice of Banana Bread French Toast.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #33
mistyjo1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
marking my spot.... this looks absolutely wonderful
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #34
StyngerIsAScorpio
Senior LCF Member

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Maybe I'm not awake yet, but I need to clarify this a bit. Be patient with me, I'm having a 'duh' moment! lolol

In using the Carbalose/Vital Oat mix to bake with, anytime the recipe calls for X amt of the Vital mix, simply use half of it and use half Carbalose mix?

I got confused when I saw this....

To halve the ingredients for the Carbalose Bake Mix combo as mentioned below the recipe title, use 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 1/3 cup (75 mL) of Carbalose flour and of the Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix.

The part that confused me was the '1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup'. Do you mean a total of 5/6's of a cup? I know that fraction is odd but that's how my mind works.... Thanks for your help!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #35
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

The recipe calls for 1 2/3 cups of my bake mix. So in order to halve that I made it easy - I thought! Basically, half of 1 is 1/2 and 1/2 of 2/3 is 1/3, so 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup Carbalose flour is half of the bake mix called for in the recipe. Do you have measuring cups? - they come in those sizes. Otherwise, yes, you'd have to guestimate 5/6 of a cup or you could say 8 tbsp (1/2 cup) plus 5 tbsp (1/3 cup) if you have a tablespoon measure. HTH
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #36
StyngerIsAScorpio
Senior LCF Member

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
The recipe calls for 1 2/3 cups of my bake mix. So in order to halve that I made it easy - I thought! Basically, half of 1 is 1/2 and 1/2 of 2/3 is 1/3, so 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup Carbalose flour is half of the bake mix called for in the recipe. Do you have measuring cups? - they come in those sizes. Otherwise, yes, you'd have to guestimate 5/6 of a cup or you could say 8 tbsp (1/2 cup) plus 5 tbsp (1/3 cup) if you have a tablespoon measure. HTH
Yes, I have more measuring cups than I need LOLOL My kids call my kitchen The Kitchen Collection LOL I'm sorry to seem dense or make this more difficult, I just automatically came up with 5/6 which is correct, but the way you divided makes perfect sense for measuring cups. I'm very, very new to LC baking and am so darned tight with a buck that I don't want to screw up and have to toss anything.
Thanks so much for clarifying that for me! From the pics I can't wait to start baking this and more of your recipes!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
sorenkkg
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2015: 288.8/276.8/249 first goal
WOE: LCHF/keto
Start Date: LC Jan 2003, many restarts. 2016: LC and 5:2
Question for Jennifer-- I've seen other LC banana breads that call for banana baby food instead of a whole banana.

Have you heard of this or tried it ever?
I suppose there's no other way to know but try eh?

Thanks for a great post with everything anyone would need-- nutritional info, links/posting the sub-recipes... love it!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #38
Brendajm
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Jen, I made your banana bread yesterday with the half and half you suggested,,mine came out a bit dry,, I used two smaller loaf pans and only baked about 25 minutes,, it is still very good. I wish I added some chopped nuts to it... I am going to try some blueberry muffins next.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #39
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Brenda, sorry it turned out drier for you. Mine was moist, but the one with Carbalose flour was a bit drier, so I'd tend to add another 1/4 cup butter in the future or another banana like Judy did in another post. Also, putting the batter in 2 mini loaf pans changes things a tiny bit. You may have overbaked it. I think if you do ever make this again - make muffins and add the extra bit of moisture in. Hope that helps.

Here is another recipe:

FAVORITE BANANA BREAD
There is real banana in this loaf! Also see Frosted Banana Loaf, Splendid Low-Carbing, page 127.

8 oz regular cream cheese, (250 g)
softened
1 1/4 cups SPLENDA® Granular (300 mL)
1/4 cup butter (50 mL)
2 tbsp olive oil (25 mL)
11/2 tsp banana extract (7 mL)
2 eggs
2/3 cup mashed banana (150 mL)
2 1/2 cups Low-Carb Bake Mix, (625 mL)
page 22
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
Orange Cheese Frosting, page 72 (optional)

In food processor with sharp blade or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese until smooth. Add SPLENDA® Granular, butter, olive oil, banana extract and eggs; process. Add banana and process briefly.

In medium bowl, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, page 22, baking powder and baking soda. Add to banana mixture and process just until combined and moistened.

Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan with wax paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth out surface. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. After 30 minutes of baking, cover loaf lightly with foil, as it will already be golden brown. Continue to bake until done as described. Remove loaf, peel wax paper off sides and let cool on wire rack. If desired, spread delicious Orange Cheese Frosting, page 72 over top of completely cooled loaf for a truly delicious taste experience. (6.8 g Carbs)

Helpful Hints: This loaf may sink ever so slightly upon cooling, due to the high moisture content. To minimize this, do not underbake loaf and use a flat dinner knife to test for doneness.

Yield: 18 slices, 1 slice
169.1 calories; 8.1 g protein; 12.9 g fat; 5.4 g carbs

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 03-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: nutritional analysis
Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #40
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

P.S. If you make my blueberry muffins, keep in mind they're not as good as those pumpkin muffins you liked so much. The key is not to use too many blueberries and put a bit more batter in each muffin cup, even if it means fewer muffins. I'm just going by memory here, but mine had too many blueberries and the muffin batter was not enough in my opinion. The muffins were nice fresh, but those were my observations after freezing them and trying them another day.

Here is a recipe that would be great with blueberries. You can use the Splendid low-carb bake mix - use 2 tbsp more per 1 cup of Vital Oat Ultimate Bake mix (although I have to tell you that I'm not sure it will work with the Splendid Low-Carb Bake mix as I've not tested it). A chef acquaintance of mine loves this recipe and he changes it up to make different muffins. He also goes half Carbolose flour and half Vital Oat Ultimate Bake mix. He likes the combo.

RASPBERRY MUFFINS
A pretty muffin that tastes high carb, and is so good warm out of the oven!

2 1/4 cups Vital Ultimate Bake (550 mL)
Mix,* page 67
1/2 cup SPLENDA® Granular (125 mL)
1 tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
2 tbsp butter (25 mL)
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (250 mL)
2 eggs
1/2 cup Da Vinci® Sugar Free (125 mL)
Vanilla Syrup
1/3 cup olive oil (75 mL)
2 tbsp whipping cream (25 mL)

In large bowl, combine Vital Ultimate Bake Mix, page 67, SPLENDA® Granular, baking powder and salt. Rub in butter. Fold in raspberries. In medium bowl, beat eggs with fork and stir in Da Vinci® Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup, olive oil and whipping cream. Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened. Fill 12 greased muffin cups. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.

Yield: 12 muffins
1 muffin
204.0 calories
7.4 g protein
15.5 g fat
8.4 g carbs (using liquid sucralose or erythritol will help reduce carbs, as well as using my Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix).

Variation: Da Vinci® Alternative: Use water and 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract instead of Da Vinci® Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup. Increase sweetness by an extra 1/4 cup (50 mL) SPLENDA® Granular. (8.9 g Carbs) To reduce carbs slightly, use 8 SPLENDA® packets instead of the granular option. (8.0 g Carbs)

Pineapple Raspberry Muffins: Use Da Vinci® Sugar Free Pineapple Syrup.

Helpful Hints: *Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with oat flour instead of spelt flour reduces the carb count by almost 2 grams (6.7 g carbs). In main recipe, I used ground almonds and all-purpose flour in the Vital Ultimate Bake Mix, page 67, producing moist, dense, soft cake-like muffins. Spelt flour would work well too.

P.S. This is quite a high carb muffin compared to most of mine.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 03-02-2011 at 06:36 AM..
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
Brendajm
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Thanks Jen,, that muffin recipe looks great.. Those Pumpkin muffins are still my favorite but I dont have any pumpkin right now.. If I use half carbolose should I still increase some liquid? maybe a tad bit more oil? The banana bread didnt seem at dry today after sitting in the fridge, it was great with my coffee..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #42
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

I don't think my chef friend did that, Brenda, but you could add a tablespoon or two more oil, if you like. At least then you're covered. Add the last tablespoon at the end, because the batter might be too moist; not sure. Aaah, baking, I'm kind of sick of it at the moment. That sounds so weird coming from me, but I've been trying and trying to perfect a gluten-free and low-carb bake mix. It's really difficult when one has so few ingredients to work with and there only so many computations and configurations possible. I wish I could use things like coconut flour and flax, but turns out it is too much fiber for my system and the flax affects my hormones adversely. I have a bake mix already with coconut flour in it on my blog that is quite nice, but it is off limits for me. Anyway think I have finally come up with something acceptable and useful for some applications, but not all.