Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
ew1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ew1
How long do opened DaVinci syrups last?

I had stocked up last summer, wondered about the lifespan of the ones I have opened. And what is the shelf life for unopned ones? It's too cold in PA to order any right now.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
Have the same question here. I have had mine for a couple/three years and not sure if they will be any good. I'm sure they expire sometime, though!

Going to test mine and see.......taste will tell!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
The DaVinci folks will tell you 2 years, but I've had some opened longer than that. They develop an "off" kind of vinegary smell when they go bad. Mine are all stored on a shelf.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Akk..I'm sure mine are well over 2 years old..better clean out the shelves..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Sniff 'em first before you pitch 'em though!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
ravenrose

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
sorry, but NO NO NO NO NO

please don't throw them out without being realistic about whether there is anything wrong with them. It's too expensive and not green!

I've had some of those things for like 8 years and they are just FINE. Aspartame based products lose their sweetness with time, but I have never had trouble with the splenda syrups from DaVinci or Torani.

And yes, I just don't have much use for some of the flavors, but that doesn't mean they can't stay in the cupboard. Does anyone else have dozens of these things? It looks like a well stocked bar until you look closer. LOL

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-09-2010 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: another thought
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Gnossienne
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gnossienne
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Does anyone else have dozens of these things? It looks like a well stocked bar until you look closer. LOL
I bought a 4-tiered wine rack to house all my Da Vinci syrups! :blush:

I go through some quickly (Amaretto, Kahlua and Almond, mostly) and others I tend to use rarely, such as the Gingerbread or some of the fruity flavours.

Just having them there is very comforting though. It gives me more freedom to be creative in the kitchen because I know I've got them in my bag of tricks!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
jlatislaw
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Well, if they go bad in time then I'm doomed They've been around so long they're like old friends - and I couldn't throw an old friend out

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much" ~ Mother Teresa
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
locarbman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
LOL! Mine are listed in my WILL! ;-)

I have experienced absolutely no problems with my DaVinci or Torani Syrups over the past 11 years and use them constantly in my ice creams (just made a batch of Blueberry...plan to do Mango next ;-).

PS: I just counted 18 cases on hand and keep 1 or 2 bottles of each flavor in my 12 tier (5 bottles per tier) Costo silver wine rack... ;-)

PPS: I do prefer the recently available simple syrups (unflavored) because I can use them with commercial flavorings to achieve any desired taste. It is more cost effective because now I don't have to keep older bottles of seldom used flavored syrups on hand...

Last edited by locarbman; 01-09-2010 at 04:17 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Beeb

You guys are just too funny!! I'm LMAO!! I have a whole bunch of these and like one poster says I will just sniff and taste and see what happens. These are too precious to me now that I'm low carbing again to just throw away!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Kisal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I found and used a bottle of the cherry flavor, that a friend had left at my house. It had been opened, but of course, had the lid on it. I had put it in the cabinet 6 years earlier and then forgotten about it. It tasted fine to me.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
locarbman
Senior LCF Member

Thought I'd add a link to my 'Sugar Free Syrups, Flavored waters, Soda Pops - Sucralose refractometer tests' Blog:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...ter-tests.html

I had hoped that these tests would give a basis for determining the relative sweetness of syrups (from Sucralose) and the teaspoon equivalents for 1 cup sugar (for use in recipes), however, was subsequently advised that other ingredients may affect the refractometer readings...

Just FYI... ;-)
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Midnight
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnossienne View Post
I bought a 4-tiered wine rack to house all my Da Vinci syrups! :blush:

I go through some quickly (Amaretto, Kahlua and Almond, mostly) and others I tend to use rarely, such as the Gingerbread or some of the fruity flavours.

Just having them there is very comforting though. It gives me more freedom to be creative in the kitchen because I know I've got them in my bag of tricks!
Good to see I'm not the only one with a wine rack full of syrups. I consider it a "collection" It seems that some may become a little weaker in flavor over a long period of time but there is nothing green growing on it. I have purposaly not reordered the ones I use the most so it will force me to use what I have.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
sorry, but NO NO NO NO NO

please don't throw them out without being realistic about whether there is anything wrong with them. It's too expensive and not green!

I've had some of those things for like 8 years and they are just FINE. Aspartame based products lose their sweetness with time, but I have never had trouble with the splenda syrups from DaVinci or Torani.

And yes, I just don't have much use for some of the flavors, but that doesn't mean they can't stay in the cupboard. Does anyone else have dozens of these things? It looks like a well stocked bar until you look closer. LOL
Yes! Some flavors I love like chocolate, raspberry, marshmallow and french vanilla. But watermelon???? What was I thinking? (Yeah, it makes a great smoothie in the summer. But a whole bottle is basically a lifetime supply!)

I have opened ones that are several years old and taste fine. I would not pitch them unless they taste off, and I've never encountered that problem.
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
Alania
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alania
Stats: 196/185/130
Start Date: September 2014
I have had some for over 5 years and I still use them. So, my answer is forever.
Alania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Beeb

When Carb Countdown milk as around I use to love to make eggnog with the DeVinci Eggnog flavor! It was so darn good!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
Kisal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
When Carb Countdown milk as around I use to love to make eggnog with the DeVinci Eggnog flavor! It was so darn good!!!
That works really well using heavy cream, too. Just thin the cream with water or half-n-half -- whichever you prefer -- to whatever consistency suits your tastebuds.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
ravenrose

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I peeked back at this thread to see if people were excoriating me for continuing to use such old sf syrups... Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I am thinking about the winerack idea... not sure where that would fit in my kitchen, but it's a great concept. I have a wine cellar with all sorts of room on the racks, but I only keep the unopened bottles down there; I suppose it would be good exercise to go downstairs every time I need a syrup, but NO. Come to think of it, I could move the least used half down there without much impact... hmmmmmm of course I suppose I might as well throw them out--out of sight out of mind.

The award definitely goes to lowcarbman with his line about leaving the syrups in his will... BRILLIANT!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I make eggnog with unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze. I'm almost sure it would work instead of Carb Countdown in that recipe.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
LOL! Mine are listed in my WILL! ;-)

... I do prefer the recently available simple syrups (unflavored) because I can use them with commercial flavorings to achieve any desired taste. It is more cost effective because now I don't have to keep older bottles of seldom used flavored syrups on hand...

about the will.

locarbman, do you have a favorite brand of flavorings that are available to the public? I've been thinking of going that route, since it would save space.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
locarbman
Senior LCF Member

Hi Joni,

I like to use Lorann Oils (already have a good collection of their 73 flavors ;-), Netritions Fireside Flavors, and what I find on the spice rack at the supermarket...lol! I enjoy the ability to use new flavors, mix flavors and vary strengths when desired. I hope other's will give you recommendations, I would be interested as well... ;-)
Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
Caralyn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caralyn
Stats: 170/131/120
Start Date: Sept 2009
i'd say forever too
Caralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #23
JoniBGoode
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Hi Joni,

I like to use Lorann Oils (already have a good collection of their 73 flavors ;-), Netritions Fireside Flavors, and what I find on the spice rack at the supermarket...lol! I enjoy the ability to use new flavors, mix flavors and vary strengths when desired. I hope other's will give you recommendations, I would be interested as well... ;-)
Thank you soooo much! I've been oogling the Lorann Oils already, now they're high on my list!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I just found this post.
Like Ravenrose, I was glad to see that I'm not the only one who would THINK of throwing out my Davinci's unless it knew it had gone bad. Like some of the others said, I have some that I use relatively quickly (but not really quick), and some I don't use often, and have had opened for a very very very long time. And as for unopened, NO WAY I'd throw it out!!!!
I did have some chocolate of an off brand that was horrible (new), and I finally threw it out. That stuff was just nasty (like I said from the time the bottle was new). Boy did I hate to throw that out!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #25
marnie4949
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marnie4949
Stats: 270/210/140
Start Date: 1960 - in it for life!
Hi ew1,

I'm also from PA and just had an order delivered which contained a dozen or so bottles of Davinci's, among other things, so they are sending them out if you realy need to place an order.

I have kept quite a few opened flavors on my counter for more than three years and some may taste a little weaker or less sweet, but not "spoiled" by any means. Don't be afraid to try them.

Last edited by marnie4949; 01-26-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
marnie4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Beeb

Would like to report that I have been using my DeVinci's now for the past month of so and all of my syrups are OLD!! At least 4 years old and they have STILL tasting great!!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
tstarre
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
yep i've never had one go bad some of mine are 0ver 4 yrs old
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
kittycitygirl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Marnie beat me to it...in PA too, and I just got a shipment of the glass bottles...well packed in styr. They must have lifted the "freeze" on shipping.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #29
MiRedkitty
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
I LOVE THIS POST!

My thought is that expiration dates (for most things that don't contain any "real" ingredients") are a 'suggestion' and not a 'drop dead date' (hopefully ).

My husband is always getting all freaked out, because I use steak sauce or marinade mix that is 2 years past "expiration". Havn't gotten sick, to my knowledge, or died from it yet! Maybe I've been doing it for so long, I've built an immunity to it...who needs pennicillin when you have expired condiments!

Use em' unless they smell or taste funky! May blessings from the condiment gods be with you
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
cheesemaker
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheesemaker
Stats: 205/181/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 9/12/14
Just checking to see if there have been any changes to shelf life on the Torani and DaVinci syrups. Thanks
cheesemaker is offline   Reply With Quote