Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #271
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
English lit can you take a picture for us. I'd love to see a pic of a vanilla one.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #272
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Sure, here's a pic of the vanilla one. I hadn't frosted it or anything at this point:

I recently made a "Black Velvet" cake using a modified version of this chocolate cake recipe, and it's indistinguishable from regular bakery cake. The combo of vital wheat gluten and protein powder really makes all the difference.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #273
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made this for a party so I was only able to get one picture of it. It was gone before most of the other desserts were and no one believed it was low carb. I used Wellbee almond flour and that has made all the difference in my low carb baking, there was absolutely no grittiness whatsoever.
(Typically in this cake I would use a combination of Just Like Sugar and Xylitol, but I prefer not to serve xylitol to guests and cause them gastric distress, so that's why I use a small amount of Whey Low D instead)

I made two one layer cakes because I used different frostings for each. Here is the Black Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting.

1 ½ cups almond flour (Wellbee or Honeyville)
¼ cup vital wheat gluten
¼ cup low carb flour
⅓ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3/4 cups xylitol, Just Like Sugar, Whey Low D or tagatose (or your preferred sweetener)
1 tablespoon Diabetisweet or stevia equivalent

3 eggs
½ cup mayo
½ cup unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
1 tbl butter vanilla bakery emulsion
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Combine dry ingredients in bowl, and beat on low until completely combined. Add the wet ingredients directly to the dry ingredients and blend on low for about 2 minutes until completely mixed.
Pour into prepared pan or cupcake liners, and bake 20 minutes for cupcakes, and about 22-25 minutes for cake. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.

Black Velvet Cake

One recipe Perfect Chocolate Cake, baked and cooled

Cream cheese frosting

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temp
½ stick butter, room temperature
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp butter vanilla bakery emulsion
¼ cup heavy cream
1 cup Whey Low powdered or powdered Xylitol
¼ - ½ cup Just Like Sugar or Splenda

Old 05-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #274
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Man, I'd like to dig into that! Great job, EnglishLit!

I've been thinking about making a black bean cake, but now this one is on my radar, they are both delicious cakes! Whichever it turns out to be I think I'll make into cupcakes.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #275
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Beautiful English lit!!!

Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #276
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I have made a vanilla version of this cake twice now. The first time, the full amount of gluten completely overpowered the cake and gave it a weird, almost mushy texture that wasn't present in the chocolate version. Also, without cocoa powder there to act as a buffer, almond flour and gluten just doesn't taste very appetizing on their own.

It was a BEAUTIFUL cake though. If you just looked at it, it looked exactly like a Duncan Hines cake.

Since I was trying to replicate "cake mix" flavor rather than homemade flavor, I made some tweaks and am very pleased with the results. I made cupcakes for my birthday (sad I know!) and they were a big hit with even people who aren't low carb. The trick was to not only decrease the amount of gluten, but to also use a low carb cake flour as well as protein powder to cover up the gluten flavor. Finally, butter vanilla emulsion will give a lot of your low carb baked goods "bakery" flavor and smell, so I highly recommend it.

Vanilla Cake/Cupcakes
1 ½ cups almond flour
¼ cup vital wheat gluten
¼ cup low carb cake flour
1 scoop cake batter protein powder (vanilla protein powder also works well)
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup Just Like Sugar
¼ cup tagatose, erythritol, xylitol or Whey Low
1 dropperful Sweet Leaf Liquid Stevia (if using erythritol)
1 tablespoon diabetisweet

2 eggs
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
1 tbl Butter Vanilla bakery emulsion
2 tsp vanilla extract

In two separate bowls, combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix for a 2-3 minutes.

Pour batter into 12 cupcake liners, or a 9 inch cake pan sprayed with cake release or Pam.

Bake in a 325 preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
English Lit, what is the low carb cake flour that you use? If this is something you make up yourself, would you mind posting the recipe please?
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #277
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
English Lit, what is the low carb cake flour that you use? If this is something you make up yourself, would you mind posting the recipe please?
I use Jena Marie's cake flour mixture:

1½ cups Resistant Starch
1¼ cups Wheat Protein Isolate
1¾ cups Oat Flour
2½ cups Oat Fiber

There are a few threads on her flour blends around here, just search for "Jenna Marie" or alternatively, "Jena Marie". She also came up with a bread flour blend, but I don't use it, I'm fine with the cake flour and then adding einkorn flour to a bread recipe if needed.

Sifted Carbalose also works well in its place.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #278
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Deb, what low carb cake flour did you use? I have some LC Foods cake flour that I have never used, but I wasn't happy with some of their other products, so I don't want to use it if it won't work in this recipe. I don't want to waste it though - I thought maybe in small amounts, mixed with other flours or flour mixes, I might be able to get some use out of it.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #279
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
English Lit-is wheat protein isolate that same as a protein powder? like whey protein isolate? I do have several canisters of that but don't know if that is ok to us? where do you find your wheat protein isolate?

Thanks for sharing what you use.

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #280
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I buy my wheat protein isolate from Netrition. It isn't the same as whey protein isolate, but I have heard of some cooks using the whey in place of the wheat with favorable results. What I would do is to make a small batch of the cake flour using the whey and see how you like it.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #281
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

And I should mention that I use WPI 5000, not 8000.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #282
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the above info--is there a reason why you use 5000 instead of 8000? I think I have some 8000! things get lost in my freezer! I have in some note that 8000 replaces VWG but I have never tried it.

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins

Last edited by jbatchelor; 10-22-2015 at 07:20 AM..
Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #283
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Wheat protein isolate is a wheat product.

Whey protein isolate is a milk product.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #284
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
thanks for the above info--is there a reason why you use 5000 instead of 8000? I think I have some 8000! things get lost in my freezer! I have in some note that 8000 replaces VWG but I have never tried it.
Since this original recipe calls for vital wheat gluten, using your 8000 would be okay, they are very similar to one another. 5000 is more for the texture and flavor you would get using regular wheat flour. In my cake flours, I use 5000, but when I'm making bread, I use both, or VWG and 8000 interchangeably.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #285
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

EnglishLit,

Thanks for sharing your LC cake flour recipe. I think I will try substituting some whey protein powder to reduce the WPI.

Susiegrn,

I don't have a lc flour mixture. I have tried carbalose and carbquick, but I'm wheat sensitive and those products makes the arthritis in my knees more painful. I was hoping to create a LC flour mixture with just a small amount of a wheat product to make baked goods closer to the real thing. I don't want something I will eat every day, just something I could have once a week or so. I've noticed that if I eat something with a small amount of wheat in it I don't have so much pain as just stiffness.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #286
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
EnglishLit,

Thanks for sharing your LC cake flour recipe. I think I will try substituting some whey protein powder to reduce the WPI.

Susiegrn,

I don't have a lc flour mixture. I have tried carbalose and carbquick, but I'm wheat sensitive and those products makes the arthritis in my knees more painful. I was hoping to create a LC flour mixture with just a small amount of a wheat product to make baked goods closer to the real thing. I don't want something I will eat every day, just something I could have once a week or so. I've noticed that if I eat something with a small amount of wheat in it I don't have so much pain as just stiffness.
I understand. I low carb because I also suffer from joint pains and other random, hard to pinpoint ailments on a standard diet. But wheat in and of itself doesn't bother me, just an extremely starchy diet. Since you are sensitive to wheat, I would urge you to try Peggy's (buttoni's) Einkorn flour blend.

You might react better to Einkorn, and she uses such a small amount with excellent results. I messed up on my last batch of cake flour (was distracted by my son and didn't pay attention to what I was measuring) and it came out ALL wrong. I didn't want to toss all of those ingredients, but I couldn't figure out which flour I skipped out on. I decided to just add a cup of einkorn and the whey protein powder to the mixture, and all of my baked goods are coming out fabulous.

Of course since I don't remember what the heck is in the mixture, I can't provide a recipe and I'm not really knowing what the carb count is. I really believe that I accidentally left out the WPI though.

Last edited by EnglishLit; 10-22-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #287
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I understand. I low carb because I also suffer from joint pains and other random, hard to pinpoint ailments on a standard diet. But wheat in and of itself doesn't bother me, just an extremely starchy diet. Since you are sensitive to wheat, I would urge you to try Peggy's (buttoni's) Einkorn flour blend.

You might react better to Einkorn, and she uses such a small amount with excellent results. I messed up on my last batch of cake flour (was distracted by my son and didn't pay attention to what I was measuring) and it came out ALL wrong. I didn't want to toss all of those ingredients, but I couldn't figure out which flour I skipped out on. I decided to just add a cup of einkorn and the whey protein powder to the mixture, and all of my baked goods are coming out fabulous.

Of course since I don't remember what the heck is in the mixture, I can't provide a recipe and I'm not really knowing what the carb count is. I really believe that I accidentally left out the WPI though.
Thanks for the tip on the Einkorn flour. I've seen her recipes with the Einkorn flour, I just assumed I would be just a sensitive to it also. I will check it out.

I am also going to try using the "flour" ingredients in your vanilla cake recipe and use it to make some cookies with. I also have been wanting to make a shortbread crust and I thought your flour blend might work well for that. I will let you know!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #288
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Esther and EnglishLit--appreciate the hints-I will get this straight someday I hope?

Jeanne

Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #289
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Bump