Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #31
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
This summer, I noticed that my Monin strawberry syrup, which I had opened maybe 5-6 weeks earlier, had a gel-like, gloopy substance floating on the top. I've kept open syrups for months at a time without this ever happening.

I strained it through a fine chinois, and put it away. Within a week, it was back again. So I strained it, this time the chinois lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth. I then refrigerated the (greatly reduced) remainder. It tasted perfectly normal.

It's been in the fridge for about a month now with no recurrence. I have many other opened flavors now, even opened well before this one, and none of them have developed this weird phenomenon.

Anyone else ever encounter this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #32
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Hah! Cat, I love my sugar-free Monin syrups, too. Have opened bottles in a dark pantry for a couple of years. No problems yet.

Did discover another truly great brand: Amoretti. You can order from their site. I used to love Irish Cream creamer in my coffee. Alas, way too much sugar and too many carbs.

Have tried numerous DIY combinations of flavors - usually a bit of coffee powder, cocoa powder, almond and vanilla extracts - to mimic the Irish cream. Not bad-tasting, but certainly not Irish Cream either. Tried several brands of extracts, including the generally fine LorAnn oils and flavorings. Meh.

Amoretti has both a sugar free syrup and a flavoring in Irish Cream. Winners!

Major con: Beaucoup, beaucoup bucks! :-(

Ginny in SC

PS: Amoretti's Sweet Corn really smells like the real deal though I haven't used it yet
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #33
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
I checked out the website, Ginny. They have some really cool flavors, like date. Would have never thought of date flavor. Never heard of Amoretti before, so thanks for the pointer!

Oh, and when you do get around to using the sweet corn flavor, be sure to let us know how you liked it (and if so, the recipe, too, please!)